Author Topic: Anfield Pitch  (Read 86764 times)

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Re: Anfield Pitch
« Reply #120 on: March 8, 2015, 06:20:32 pm »
Liverpool-Blackburn on a lousy pitch. Nice flashback from the good old days

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #121 on: March 8, 2015, 06:21:27 pm »
I think their pitch is in the similar kind of state. We`ll feel at home there.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: March 8, 2015, 07:20:10 pm »
I think their pitch is in the similar kind of state. We`ll feel at home there.
Yeah, looks similar here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31471797

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: March 8, 2015, 07:23:41 pm »
Thank fuck we'll only play on it 4 more times this season.  It was absolutely shocking today.

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: March 8, 2015, 08:02:31 pm »
someone needs to get fired for this... we are Liverpool FC ffs, not some championship club... this is very amateurish and embarrassing
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: March 8, 2015, 08:04:58 pm »
What has happened?

Anfield and Highbury were always among the best pitches in Europe. Obviously Highbury was levelled but what's the reason for Anfield's demise?
have read somewhere that the pitch should have been replaced 3/4 years ago
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline FernandoTourettes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: March 8, 2015, 08:07:29 pm »
Better get used to it, looks like it won't be getting replaced next season either.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/blood-red-liverpool-fcs-hopes-8792133

Offline VamosLiverpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: March 8, 2015, 08:17:03 pm »
Better get used to it, looks like it won't be getting replaced next season either.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/blood-red-liverpool-fcs-hopes-8792133

Can't be replaced before the Utd game?

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #128 on: March 8, 2015, 08:24:19 pm »

I'm sure they will figure something out and lay the pitch

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: March 8, 2015, 08:25:28 pm »
Can't be replaced before the Utd game?
Takes more time to bed in plus there's more work to do than just lay the pitch
« Last Edit: March 8, 2015, 08:27:24 pm by rocco »

Offline VamosLiverpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: March 8, 2015, 08:28:06 pm »
Takes more time to bed in plus there's more work to do than just lay the pitch

Need some miracle grow in that case until the game!

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: March 8, 2015, 08:30:31 pm »
been doing that for years ;)

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #132 on: March 8, 2015, 08:36:23 pm »
The pitch has reached a state where it is now actively hindering us from playing at our best. And it would be preposterous if we can't get it relaid this summer.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: March 8, 2015, 08:42:39 pm »
The pitch has reached a state where it is now actively hindering us from playing at our best. And it would be preposterous if we can't get it relaid this summer.
id be very surprised if  they don't figure something out , only hindrance might be the cost .

Offline Americaner...

• More American than other, ordinary Americans.
  • Kopite
  • I dream in red and white
« Reply #134 on: March 8, 2015, 09:11:18 pm »
id be very surprised if  they don't figure something out , only hindrance might be the cost .

Liverpool is a big club. A couple million quid should not be a big deal.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #135 on: March 8, 2015, 09:54:32 pm »

I don't understand the article. It says only 3% of the current pitch is artificial, and they re-seed the natural grass every summer. What's the difference between re-seeding and laying a new pitch? The grass is new anyway? Or is it the actual dirt that needs to be replaced?
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: March 8, 2015, 10:52:07 pm »
I don't understand the article. It says only 3% of the current pitch is artificial, and they re-seed the natural grass every summer. What's the difference between re-seeding and laying a new pitch? The grass is new anyway? Or is it the actual dirt that needs to be replaced?

I think they're saying that to fix the problem, they would need to dig the whole thing up and start again, as even with re-seeding it, these pitches only have a certain lifespan before they start to deteriorate. I think it was mentioned elsewhere that we probably need to put in a new drainage system as well.

I can see the problem if the cranes from the main stand development are going to get in the way, but the manager really needs to put his foot down here, and make sure they find a way to get that work done as quickly as possible so they have time to re-lay the pitch as well.

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: March 8, 2015, 11:04:42 pm »

The pitch has a lifespan of 10 years before it needs to be replaced, we've had it for 14 years so even if the grass is new it doesn't solve the underlying issue

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #138 on: March 8, 2015, 11:13:54 pm »
I wonder if we'd request playing our first game or two away from home next season? Therefore if the pitch is laid later than planned it could be offset by not having to play on it until a few weeks into the season.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: March 8, 2015, 11:15:16 pm »
Anyone see Robbie Savage at the end of MOTD tonight thinking he knows more than our groundsmen? Goodness sake...
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #140 on: March 8, 2015, 11:17:12 pm »
Anyone see Robbie Savage at the end of MOTD tonight thinking he knows more than our groundsmen? Goodness sake...

How dare you insult the intelligence of Robert William Savage? The man is a genius.

Offline Americaner...

• More American than other, ordinary Americans.
  • Kopite
  • I dream in red and white
« Reply #141 on: March 8, 2015, 11:32:21 pm »
I wonder if we'd request playing our first game or two away from home next season? Therefore if the pitch is laid later than planned it could be offset by not having to play on it until a few weeks into the season.

Interesting thought.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: March 8, 2015, 11:57:29 pm »
Nice idea, but what if we do get 4th? Isn't CL qualification basically in pre-season?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #143 on: March 9, 2015, 12:00:11 am »
Our pitch is a mix of natural grass and artificial turf. So if any reparations need to be done they will need some time, im not a groundskeeper so i cant tell you how long.
Seen us win everything

Online Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #144 on: March 9, 2015, 12:16:06 am »
Nice idea, but what if we do get 4th? Isn't CL qualification basically in pre-season?

Yeah, that's a point. Also there is a chance we could play a league cup tie at home, isn't a round of games only a couple of games into the season? Something needs to be done though. It's not even a League 1 standard pitch. Perhaps given the rather wet and cold winter we've just had it's made it deteriorate faster.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: March 9, 2015, 12:17:35 am »

It's after the first or second league matches.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: March 9, 2015, 12:20:25 am »
The pitch has a lifespan of 10 years before it needs to be replaced, we've had it for 14 years so even if the grass is new it doesn't solve the underlying issue

Yeah, it said so in the artice. I'm just wondering what the difference is between re-seeding and laying a new pitch. Maybe the nutrients in the dirt are all used up or something, that's why there's patches of yellowish brown currently. I don't know, I'm just speculating. Any gardeners around?  :)

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #147 on: March 9, 2015, 04:35:27 am »

There's one round of 'qualification' involved for the club from England that doesn't automatically get to the group states of the CL.

When in doubt, think of when Arsenal plays and you'll know.  :wave
Ludi Circenses!

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: March 9, 2015, 08:30:45 am »
Alan Titchmarsh spotted at John Lennon  8)
No time for caution.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: March 9, 2015, 08:57:23 am »
For years Anfield pitch was one of the best surfaces to play on in England.  Not sure what has gone on this season in particular to render it basically a park pitch.  It's impacting the effectiveness given the way the team plays.  Players like Sterling and Coutinho are having to take two touches to bring it under control instead of one and then accelerate away from opponents before they're closed down.  That second touch invariably mean there's little chance of getting away from the opponent without beating him first.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #150 on: March 9, 2015, 09:23:18 am »
For years Anfield pitch was one of the best surfaces to play on in England.  Not sure what has gone on this season in particular to render it basically a park pitch.  It's impacting the effectiveness given the way the team plays.  Players like Sterling and Coutinho are having to take two touches to bring it under control instead of one and then accelerate away from opponents before they're closed down.  That second touch invariably mean there's little chance of getting away from the opponent without beating him first.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/glen-johnson-anfield-pitch-hampered-8798723
Continually on 11,420.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: March 9, 2015, 09:41:24 am »
Robbie who ? never heard of him.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #152 on: March 9, 2015, 09:43:29 am »

We need whatever Rooney has been using on the top of his head. The only problem is that it would sprout potatoes.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #153 on: March 9, 2015, 09:56:18 am »

This is the key for me,  why is it so bad THIS season,  what's changed from last season when it was also an old pitch?
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #154 on: March 9, 2015, 09:56:44 am »

Pitch looked quite good last season. I can think of games  vs Arsenal or Everton and the ball was just gliding off the surface. Perhaps the pitch just deteriorated really fast.

We've only got ourselves to blame. All  this insistance on CL football and good long cup runs. What were we thinking of?
Finish 6th, pray for away draws in the cups and get knocked out.....problem sorted!
Honestly.......some people......tut, tut.

;D ;D

Offline Greyfox

• Silver Fox's less distinguished brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird on my chest
« Reply #155 on: March 9, 2015, 11:04:28 am »
This from 2010.

The principle of a "jigsaw" pitch must still be available...

Grow it elsewhere, let the cranes do their stuff and then move it in when they've finished.

"Millennium Stadium welcomes new pitch

The Millennium Stadium welcomes the arrival of a brand new pitch as the iconic venue prepares to stage the best rugby in the world at the 2010 Autumn Series, which kicks off on Saturday 6 November with Wales v Australia (KO 2.30pm).

Up to 125 trucks are making their way to the city centre venue to deliver the 7,412 pallets which complete the 120m x 79m stage for Wales to face the biggest names in rugby next month.

When the giant pallet jigsaw is completed at the home of Welsh sport, 40mm thick ryegrass turf will be transported from Scunthorpe to host all four Autumn Series games (against Australia, South Africa, Fiji and New Zealand), the 2010 RBS 6 Nations and throughout the remainder of the rugby season.

The turf has been classified as excellent by experts following rigorous laboratory testing but Head Groundsman at the Millennium Stadium Lee Evans is mindful of the task ahead: "The plan is for the pitch to remain in situ for the entire international rugby season but, while I'm happy with the results that have come out of the lab so far, it is important that my team work especially hard over the coming months to ensure that the pitch is kept in optimum condition," he said.

Thanks to the round the clock vigil of Evans' team and the introduction of the lighting rigs, results have shown that the highest standards of pitch quality will remain all season. "

Offline AnfieldCat

• All Hail the Sworn Enemy of WoodisonDog!
  • Kopite
« Reply #156 on: March 9, 2015, 01:30:24 pm »
Glen Johnson has had a moan about it:

“We can’t make excuses but the pitch didn’t help us. I know it’s the same for both sides but it slowed us down.

“Without doubt, it’s the worst it’s been during my time at Liverpool.

“You have to watch your touch more because it bobbles so much. And it’s harder for the likes of Philippe (Coutinho) and Raheem (Sterling) to dribble with the ball.

“It slows everything down because the bounce is so irregular. It’s different every time.

“It takes a bit more concentration and it’s harder to play one touch football which is what you need to open these teams up around the box.”

http://www.ourkop.com/2015/03/09/defender-slams-the-state-of-anfield-pitch-after-blackburn-draw/

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: March 9, 2015, 01:59:01 pm »
This from 2010.

The principle of a "jigsaw" pitch must still be available...

Grow it elsewhere, let the cranes do their stuff and then move it in when they've finished.

From reading that Echo article, the growing of the pitch isn't actually the main issue and i dare say the club have thought about the 'grow it elsewhere' option. It needs a whole new drainage system and most likely new undersoil heating underneath the pitch. Those will take time to install, time that is obviously allocated to the cranes helping to build the main stand. And as said in the article there is uncertainty over the viability of using cranes on top of new pipework. If they were to cause damage, that would be a disaster that could have an affect on both the pitch being ready for the new season and the new stand staying on schedule.

I would imagine Carillion are already on a tight timescale with the amount of time they can use the pitch due to the close season. If they can't get that work done in the summer as a result of the pitch being relaid it could seriously impact the construction of the new stand.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: March 9, 2015, 02:11:47 pm »
From reading that Echo article, the growing of the pitch isn't actually the main issue and i dare say the club have thought about the 'grow it elsewhere' option. It needs a whole new drainage system and most likely new undersoil heating underneath the pitch. Those will take time to install, time that is obviously allocated to the cranes helping to build the main stand. And as said in the article there is uncertainty over the viability of using cranes on top of new pipework. If they were to cause damage, that would be a disaster that could have an affect on both the pitch being ready for the new season and the new stand staying on schedule.

I would imagine Carillion are already on a tight timescale with the amount of time they can use the pitch due to the close season. If they can't get that work done in the summer as a result of the pitch being relaid it could seriously impact the construction of the new stand.

If that's the case you'd imagine the pitch will be much worse next season, even considering how bad it is now.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #159 on: March 9, 2015, 02:24:03 pm »
Hasn't Rodgers already said the pitch will be sorted in the summer? I'm fairly sure the club have/will find a way to work around the stadium construction to get it sorted.