Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Norwich Vs Liverpool 29 Sept 3.00pm  (Read 45053 times)

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
MATCH PREVIEW: Norwich Vs Liverpool 29 Sept 3.00pm
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:32:14 am »
I have many happy memories of games against Norwich City. They are just one of those sides that Liverpool seem to always do well against. In fact Norwich have only managed to secure 1 point against us from the last 6 meetings so we can go into this game with a degree of confidence. Suarez certainly should after his delightful hattrick in the same fixture last season.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D9fGPtdYpoQ?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D9fGPtdYpoQ?fs=1</a>

I spent a lot of my early adult years living in Ipswich Town, home of their biggest rivals. The games between those two are a classic rivalry and I personally think it´s a shame that they are no longer competing against each other. Both sides are really struggling of late though and if Ipswich can turn it around, I wouldn´t rule out them squaring up once more in the Championship next season.

Norwich don´t seem to have fully recovered from the 5-0 pasting by Fulham on opening day. Last season Holt, Morison and Pilkington took the Premier League by storm scoring 32 Premier League goals between them. This season the trio haven´t looked much of a threat resulting in all 3 of them being benched at one point or another. Their creative force last season was Wes Hoolahan with 7 assists on top of his 4 goals. He has also suffered a shaky start to this one playing just 103 minutes so far however, looked dangerous in glimpses against Newcastle last outing.

The one player who really has stood out for them this season has been Robert Snodgrass and I expect him to be the main threat to our goal for this one. He is deceptively quick, loves arriving late in the box, very combative in midfield and packs a fierce shot. Like a lot of modern day wingers, he tends to switch sides also either driving down the left or cutting in from the right. Whoever gets the nod to replace Kelly will have their hands full with him.

At the other end, John Ruddy has had a good start to the season and has made several top notch saves often keeping Norwich in games. Despite Barnett and Bassong replacing Bennett and Ward in the heart of their defence, they still look very shaky at the back and with our passing and movement, I do feel we can open them up.

With almost double the amount of completed passes (2,234 v 1,306) and a vastly superior accuracy (86% v 74.2%) expect Liverpool to control the ball for this one. Whilst Norwich liked to knock it about under Lambert, this season they appear to favour hitting their CF early (especially Holt when he is in the side) and from there holding it up and attacking down the flanks and getting balls into the box. This has perhaps been our achilles heel this season so far, being caught on the counter (West Brom, Manchester City, Arsenal) and from attacks down our sides (West Brom again, Sunderland, Manchester United) so Norwich provide a difficult matchup for us at this moment in time.

Enough of the threats that Norwich may pose.... what about us? Well we´re all grown pretty accustomed to Rodgers formation by now, that won´t change too much. He also seemed to have decided upon a favoured XI in the league for the past few games but the injuries to Kelly, Borini and Agger as well as Shelvey´s suspension means there will be changes to the side. There will be a lot of calls to replace Kelly with Wisdom or Flanaghan. Others will suggest switching Johnson back to the right and giving Robinson his chance to nail down a first team place. Maybe we should continue the Downing experiment at left back? Personally I think Jose Enrique, despite having a shocker against Young Boys, is the best left back at the club. He has been capped at every level for Spain up to the senior side so he has played the same sort of football Rodgers wants from him. So I am hoping he has it in him, it just needs to be brought out of him and dusted off once more. I also would like to see Johnson back on the right hand side as while he is a threat down the left I feel he is twice as dangerous down the right and still packs a punch with his left foot cutting in as Gomel discovered recently as well as Chelsea last season.

Simply put, Coates has to replace Agger. I love Jamie Carragher and he is rightly regarded a legend but his legs have gone. Every time he plays now you can see the decline even more. Coates on the other hand has the ability to step up now as he did against Manchester City. Also importantly, he is a real threat at corners. Between him and Skrtel you feel any good ball into the box can cause the opposition real problems. It would be rare for us as we generally score very few from corners but I feel Coates will become on of those goal scoring defenders once he becomes a mainstay in the side.

With Suso impressing on his debut against Man Utd; Sahin struggling for match fitness and the physical requirements the system requires of him and Henderson seemingly out of favour for a midfield birth, there is some real competition for that 3rd midfield berth. Hopefully Henderson´s performance v Gomel showed Rodgers what he can do in midfield as I think we have a great player on our hands who just needs to gain confidence playing centrally instead of being pushed around to plug gaps in the side out wide. There is a strong case to give Sahin a go also in the most advanced role with the least defensive responsibility.

As for Borini, we probably need to protect him a little here as if he picks up a serious injury we have only Suarez & a bunch of teenagers capable of playing a central forward role. So I would put Assaidi in the side and see what he gives us. If he runs out of steam/ideas we can always bring on Suso or Downing.

As mentioned before, expect us to dominate them with the ball with them attempting to hurt us on the counter. On Sunday we seemed to have improved our containment for when we loose the ball and were never really caught on the counter bar the Valencia penalty which I am putting down as just bad luck as Agger miscontrolled a pass then 2 Liverpool players took each other out. Regardless, I seen massive improvement in our pressing game and our recovery to loosing the ball and think Norwich will struggle to fashion chances against us. I do see them struggling defensively against us and can see us getting freekicks around the box or maybe even a penalty off Bassong who dives in too much for a center half.

So my questions to all of you are:-

1. Who gets the nod to replace Shelvey and Agger?
2. What do we do about our full back problem without Kelly?
3. Do we go with youth on both wings, test Assaidi out in English football or give Downing another chance?

I ask you all now to avoid posting up a stream of formations and instead debate the four key changes mentioned above. The official RAWK Preview topics are heavily modded to keep them tidy and to maintain a flowing conversation and formations with little or no explanation will be deleted without mercy. Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 03:50:52 pm by The 5th Benitle »
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
Re: PREVIEW: Norwich Vs Liverpool 29 Sept 3.00pm
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 10:44:54 pm »
Brendan Rodgers now faces a selection headache...

Martin Kelly joins Jon Flanagan, Lucas Leiva and probably Daniel Agger on the sick list, whilst there is no guarantee Fabio Borino will shake off his knock in time to feature, and Jose Enrique still seems to be struggling with an injury.

Superb Capital One Cup performances by Andre Wisdom, Sebastian Coates, Nuri Sahin and Ossuma Assaidi in particular, plus encouraging displays from Jack Robinson and Jordan Henderson will have given Brendan Rodgers a welcome selection headache before the game at Carrow Road on Saturday.

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
Re: RAWK PREVIEW: Norwich Vs Liverpool 29 Sept 3.00pm
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 10:51:18 pm »
Happy with the line up you mentioned,Would rest Suso/Assaidi possibly or give him a late start since I'd love him to start in the Europa home game v Udinese next thursday. Think we need to get 3 points out of that and would love to see Suso and Assaidi for them. That being said, I don't have too much faith in downing to be fair and I don't think starting him and playing him majority of the game will give us what we need. So perhaps maybe playing Assaidi of to begin with Downing as a late sub maybe better.

Great OP otherwise mate.
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline Noble Nayudu

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 10:52:35 pm »
Assaidi and Sahin deserve to start againt Norwich. A front three of Assaidi, Suarez and Sterling would be great.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 10:53:03 pm »
Interesting this one now, taking into account our recent win in the league cup, there's deffo a few positions up for grabs. Will Sahin get the nod over Henderson or vice versa. Suso is vying for a starting spot and Assaidi did himself no harm with a good performance against WBA. Feeling optimistic, the younger lads are all champing at the bit and that can only be good for competition. Would start coates over carragher though against norwich.

Offline Garcepticon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 11:02:32 pm »
I think the biggest change, and most important, is how we play our front four in this 4-3-3. Whilst the performance against West Brom was beautiful to watch, what it lacked was clear cut chances and that is what this post will muse over. As Rodgers has stated having two 'controllers' engenders movements from side to side instead of direct penetration through the middle. What this translates to (I believe) is a dependence on the LW and RW to beat their man and get it into the box, this was great when we played through Assaidi and Robinson, but Downing and Wisdom rarely brought good clear cut chances to the table. Against Norwich we can expect Johnson and Sterling to be part of those four wide attackers, the other two in the formation will be key to how many chances we create. If we field Assaidi and Robinson I think we have the capacity to create a lot of chances from crosses.

Once those crosses are put into the box it is a matter of getting on the end of them and this is where Steven Gerrard  and Luis Suarez become essential for Saturday. Previously we have seen Suarez fail to get in the right positions/ finish chances, and so I believe a huge burden is going to be placed on our captain. Fortunately Sahin has put in a brilliant performance and if himself and Allen put in a good performance we have a solid platform which should allow Gerrard freedom to attack the box. Given Gerrard has been known for his prolific scoring runs I do not see any reason why given the below team we shouldn't cause Norwich problems on saturday.

Reina; Johnson, Coates, Skrtel, Robinson; Allen, Sahin, Gerrard; Sterling, Assaidi, Suarez.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 11:08:38 pm »
Good OP.

Easy answer to question one has to be Coates and Sahin [ although I'd have no problem with Hendo].
2.I think Glen has to go right back and I'd be awfully temped to put Robinson in at left back. Enrique just can't seem to get out of the rut he's in.
3. I'd go with youth on the wings. Borini is struggling a little and I think Assaidi, Sterling and luis would be a nightmare to defend against.

No Lucas, Shelvey, Agger or Kelly and it doesn't feel a bit worrying. The squad is strong everywhere but up front.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 11:22:48 pm »
We'd like people to not merely post a team list, but if doing so, to argue why they've gone for that team and/or selection. This thread is, as noted in the O.P., heavily moderated.
Thanks
:wave
Yep.

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 11:39:19 pm »
I think its really hard to leave out Robinson after today's game. He was excellent against a much more experienced and physical player in Fortune.

Would love to see him develop more. However, Rodgers could decide to keep Johnson on the left and keep Wisdom at right back.

Offline P45

• Self-confessed UKIP Supporter too tight to dip into his pocket and become a RAWK Supporter yet bleats on this site about his democratic right to display his ignorance. Okay.....
  • Kopite
  • Always optimistic
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 11:51:36 pm »
                   Reina

Johnson Skrtl Coates Robinson

Allen

Gerrard Sahin

Sterling Suarez Assiadi

Suso, Pacheco, Carra, Jones, Hendo, Wisdom, Yesil

With Robinson and Johnson both having two proper wingers ahead of them, we can play really wide and look to put in lots of crosses. I dont think Borini will be fit, Johnson can cover left back, whereas Enrique hasnt, so Wisdon is cover for Johnson and Johno can swith to the left if required.

Cant wait.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 12:41:40 am »
Happy with the line up you mentioned,Would rest Suso/Assaidi possibly or give him a late start since I'd love him to start in the Europa home game v Udinese next thursday. Think we need to get 3 points out of that and would love to see Suso and Assaidi for them. That being said, I don't have too much faith in downing to be fair and I don't think starting him and playing him majority of the game will give us what we need. So perhaps maybe playing Assaidi of to begin with Downing as a late sub maybe better.

Great OP otherwise mate.
Thanks. One thing I would add is this was written before the West Brom game. The only change I would make since then is I would start with Suso over Assaidi.

Both Assaidi and Sahin looked knackered at the end of the game and I think they need more than 2 1/2 days to recover . Now that we have them both looking ready for the first team I would not like to risk injury to either by playing them fatigued. I´d like to see them come off the bench though and get 30mins or so. Henderson is a whole different story. That guy has a crazy engine on him and is already match sharp so I have less worries about him starting this one and maybe Sahin getting the last 30 when he tires.

So I would have Suso right, Sterling left and Suarez through the middle. Have to say I really don´t fancy Russell Martin's chances at all agaisnt Sterling and reckon that would be a complete bloodbath.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline ShibbyLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 07:39:16 am »
You have to give Sahin the start for this one I think, but I don't think he'll play the whole game given the 90 minutes he put in at WBA.

I'd play Sterling and Assaidi either side of Suarez as well.

How about an encore hat trick for Suarez?  :D

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 07:51:43 am »
Don't really see Assaidi starting, he looked pretty knackered after the WBA match. Would be pretty happy if Robinson starts against Norwich, but not too sure if he has fatigue issues. If not, we'd probably see Wisdom get a start, with Glen still on the left. I think Sahin deserves to start as well, looked pretty fine after the game, it was after all an almost effortless performance.  ;) Sterling and Suarez is a given, and so is Gerrard and Allen. I'd play Coates if he's not tired, wouldn't want to risk Agger despite reports saying he might return for the match. I think the obvious replacement for Borini is Suso, he's been directly involved with 2 goals, in his last two substitute appearances, so i think he deserves the calling.

Offline LondonRedMan

• wants to donate to RAWk because a kindly mod took away his nasty CT.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 07:58:05 am »
Brend with a lot if decisions to make on the starting line up and even the match day squad. I mean surely Suso, assaidi and wisdom have done enough to be part of the match day squad at least.

As for replacing shelvey, I think sahin is the man for that. He can sit along with Allen whilst gerrard plays more advanced in the midfield three. I do think shelvey could have a job on his hands getting his place back as I reckon last night as the arrival of sahin and he will kick on from here

Coates in for agger. Coates is reminding me of Sami. Also Coates will give us an extra dimension in offensive set pieces too.

Norwich are a good side so I'm expecting a hard fought game but I feel we can win this one. We have rested players midweek

I'm not sure if el torro is in Brends plans or not but for me with Kelly out I think gj going back the BR and robbo/el torro as lb

Assaidi put some delightful crosses into the box last night. Wouldn't mind seeing Suarez on the end of them. However I feel sterling should start and assaidi on the bench as impact.

The good thing is we have our key players all rested so i expect strong showings from the following as they are fresh:

Steve
Pepe
Skrtel
Sterling
Allen
Suarez
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:05:31 am by LondonRedMan »

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 07:59:44 am »

I'd love to see this, but I have a few qualms/caveats to it.

1) Coates, Sahin & Assaidi - are they OK for another 90 so soon? Coates should be OK, possibly Sahin, but Assaidi looked a little tired last night.
2) Suarez up top. I'd prefer him to either drop off or inter-change with the wingers but seeing as we don't have a genuine 'number 9'/goalscorer (Borini is meant to be, but he may be injured) we're stuck for now.
3) Enrique may still /may not be injured.

Assuming for this exercise there are no more injuries that force substitutions, we can afford to play Sahin and Assaidi as we can bring on Suso/Henderson/Pacheco/... Downing?! when/if they are tiring. We looked good last night, and Sahin was tactically pretty disciplined as well as being creative and driving forward. If he can play that role again on Saturday it leaves Gerrard to be more creative and more of the goal threat we know he can be rather than being more of a holding-type player whilst Lucas is out. If Sahin doesn't play for whatever reason then get Henderson in there as Jonjo is out.

If Enrique isn't fit then we have either Robinson on the left, Glen on the right or Glen on the left and Wisdom on the right. I'm happy with either really, both the young lads had a good game last night and provided they're not carrying any knocks or are overly tired, both options work for me. In fact, even if Enrique is OK to start I might be tempted to go with him on the bench as he won't be fully match fit. We can bring him back into things as a sub or in the Europa game.

Finally, if Sahin doesn't start due to fitness then I expect Suso to play but after last night I think he'll be in the starting 11 with Suso to replace him in the second half.

We'll batter these :)

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 08:04:16 am »
Thanks. One thing I would add is this was written before the West Brom game. The only change I would make since then is I would start with Suso over Assaidi.

Both Assaidi and Sahin looked knackered at the end of the game and I think they need more than 2 1/2 days to recover . Now that we have them both looking ready for the first team I would not like to risk injury to either by playing them fatigued. I´d like to see them come off the bench though and get 30mins or so. Henderson is a whole different story. That guy has a crazy engine on him and is already match sharp so I have less worries about him starting this one and maybe Sahin getting the last 30 when he tires.

So I would have Suso right, Sterling left and Suarez through the middle. Have to say I really don´t fancy Russell Martin's chances at all agaisnt Sterling and reckon that would be a complete bloodbath.

Having Suso and sterling in the attacking three with Suarez in the middle is very adventurous and exciting but I feel we need more experience in there. I think it may be an idea to give gerrard a go on the right of the front three and have sahin and hendo in the middle with Allen.

Either will be a gutsy move by Brend but I think Brend will go for Suso and sterling because he has not tested stevie in the front three

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 08:07:20 am »
I think its really hard to leave out Robinson after today's game. He was excellent against a much more experienced and physical player in Fortune.

Would love to see him develop more. However, Rodgers could decide to keep Johnson on the left and keep Wisdom at right back.

But wisdom played the full game against WBA so he isn't fresh. I think Enrique on the left and gj on the right endures freshness

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 08:41:22 am »
Great OP. I also have fond memories of this fixture - the first game I ever went to was Norwich away on October 20th 1990 at the ripe old age of 9! I remember there was a parachutist landing on the pitch and a bit of a celebration of Rushie's 28th Birthday. Norwich are a good club and it's a decent ground to visit.

22 years on and this is a big game - but one I'm really looking forward to. I think we will see a good performance and a win, we are playing good football and if we keep doing what we've been doing all season we'll get the points we deserve.

Sahin and Coates for me - both fantastic against West Brom and deserving of game time in the league.

Johnson at RB, Robinson at LB. Jack is a sumptuous fullback and 100% ready to play. He offers so much going forward and is rock solid defensively. I can see him being very difficult to dislodge once he gets his chance.

3. Do we go with youth on both wings, test Assaidi out in English football or give Downing another chance?

I would like to see Assaidi and Sterling given the starting spots either side of Suarez, but would also love to see Suso play a big part in the game too. If Assaidi isn't fit enough I would play Sterling on the left and Suso on the right.

Suarez was amazing in the corresponding fixture last year and I expect to see similar this time around - I will forgive if there aren't any half way line goals though!

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 08:45:33 am »
Would deffo start with Sahin and Assaidi. Suso,Yesil,Downing on the bench.
Goodness, we are really thin going into this one. Borini,Cole,Agger,Kelly,Shelvey all missing.
If the starting eleven cannot win it for us, we cant rely too much on the bench.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 08:46:43 am »
And yes, I think Sahin should play in a little advanced role. Fucking loved his run for the second goal. If he is in a position to shoot, he could get goals.

Offline And CouldHe Play!

• but not And Could He Play, different bloke entirely.
  • Kopite
  • Shakedown, 1979
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 08:52:05 am »
Great effort on the OP. There are obviously going to be a few selection issues, but the main one I see is the hole left by Jonjo. Gerrard and Allen are dead certs for the other two CM positions, but is it Sahin or Hendo? Sahin's just played a full 90 and whether he's up to full match fitness is questionable, but he offers more in terms of creativity and goal threat than Hendo. Henderson just played 90 as well but he's got an engine on him so don't see why he couldn't play the majority against Norwich. It's just what he offers compared to Sahin that's the issue, and Allen does most of the things Hendo is known for. Perhaps Brendan might pull one out of the hat and start Suso and bring on Sahin later, but it should be interesting.

Up top obviously Suarez and Sterling, and I wish we still had Bellamy to play on the left, but there's nothing we can do. Assaidi did notably tire last night so might not be up for another game on Saturday, but Downing did nothing to deserve a start. We'll see.

If Enrique is fit I'd fully expect him to play alongside Glen, Coates and Skrtel. If not, then I'm not sure. Playing Carra at fullback after a full 90 a few days earlier is the stuff of nightmares, but with Flanno injured (I think) alongside Kelly then I guess the only option will be Wisdom or shouldn't be too knackered as he wasn't bombing the wings all night.

I'll leave it up to you Mr. Rodgers
Fuck it, I'm taking me dog for a walk. The pair of us are completely bollocksed and take turns a piece dragging one another along. We look a bit like one of Roy's midfield pairings, but with a wee bit more guile and panache. Well, on the dog's side, anyway

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 08:57:51 am »
I'd like to see Sahin start, will he be 100 percent though. Still, whoever plays alongside Allen and Gerrard, i think we'll be alright come saturday. Henderson works hard and keeps things ticking over, Sahin is getting his fitness levels up and creates space with a couple of touches. So it's probably a little dilemma for BR but a good one.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 09:01:29 am »
Assaidi and Sahin deserve to start againt Norwich. A front three of Assaidi, Suarez and Sterling would be great.

Yes, I agree. If Borini is out, Assaidi should be almost guaranteed to start, with Suso and Pacheco on the bench.

Would also like to see a CM of Sahin, Allen and Gerrard. If Sahin could join in the attacks and if we could get those runs to the center from Assaidi and Sterling (plus naturally from Gerrard as well), this could be a really enjoyable game for us.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 09:03:48 am »
Great effort on the OP. There are obviously going to be a few selection issues, but the main one I see is the hole left by Jonjo. Gerrard and Allen are dead certs for the other two CM positions, but is it Sahin or Hendo? Sahin's just played a full 90 and whether he's up to full match fitness is questionable, but he offers more in terms of creativity and goal threat than Hendo. Henderson just played 90 as well but he's got an engine on him so don't see why he couldn't play the majority against Norwich. It's just what he offers compared to Sahin that's the issue, and Allen does most of the things Hendo is known for. Perhaps Brendan might pull one out of the hat and start Suso and bring on Sahin later, but it should be interesting.

Up top obviously Suarez and Sterling, and I wish we still had Bellamy to play on the left, but there's nothing we can do. Assaidi did notably tire last night so might not be up for another game on Saturday, but Downing did nothing to deserve a start. We'll see.

If Enrique is fit I'd fully expect him to play alongside Glen, Coates and Skrtel. If not, then I'm not sure. Playing Carra at fullback after a full 90 a few days earlier is the stuff of nightmares, but with Flanno injured (I think) alongside Kelly then I guess the only option will be Wisdom or shouldn't be too knackered as he wasn't bombing the wings all night.

I'll leave it up to you Mr. Rodgers

I think the easiest pick will be the replacement for Shelvey. It's Gerrard, in the 2nd striker role. I wouldn't worry about Assaidi. Suso has shown he can have an impact. So we'd just play Assaidi and when he tires, we bring on Suso. No problem.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 09:23:40 am »
We'll on form I think Suso, Assaidi, Sahin, Henderson and Coates have all earnt a spot in the squad. I'd probably start Sahin after his brace and Assaidi after argubaly a MOTM performance. He might need to come off at some stage but it shouldn't be too big an issue. Suso I'd keep as a super sub but I'd defiantely give time on the pitch. Likewise I'd have henderson coming on as well. Frustating that we are down to one single senior striker until Borini is back.

But the tough decision is at fullback. Do you keep Johnson at LB and play Wisdom (on form). Do you shift Johnson to his more natural RB and play Robinson (also displayed form). Or do you give Enrique another chance (who I don't think is a lost cause). I'd probably give Enrique one more chance.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:31:04 am by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline aliverbirduponmychest

• Kopite
  • A team that plays total football.
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 09:24:20 am »
                   Reina

Allen

Gerrard Sahin

Sterling Suarez Assiadi

With Robinson and Johnson both having two proper wingers ahead of them, we can play really wide and look to put in lots of crosses. I dont think Borini will be fit, Johnson can cover left back, whereas Enrique hasnt, so Wisdon is cover for Johnson and Johno can swith to the left if required.

Cant wait.
This is the team i'd go for. Sahin's confidence must be high after his two goals last night. Robinson as ever didn't put a foot wrong and will allow Johnson to switch to his natural right side. The injury to Kelly is hard to take but could be the chance that Robinson has been waiting for, I hope he grabs it and keeps that left back shirt for a while.

I would go with Assaidi ahead of Suso just because of his pace but bring Suso on during the 2nd half, with his ability and his knack of running at defenders whenever he gets the ball he could be the icing on the cake on Saturday.

Seeing this team take 3 points may ease the pain of the 50 quid ticket.
SoS membership number 4158
JFT 96

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 09:43:58 am »
a good op

1. Coates gets the nod at cente back but i heard talk that Agger might be fit, if shelvey is out then its a toss up between henderson and sahin, if sahin isnt too tired from last night then he could slot in
2. i think your answered your own question with that selector, johnson and enrique get my vote too
3. Assaidi all the way
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline anfieldanfield

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:25 am »
                   Reina

Allen

Gerrard Sahin

Sterling Suarez Assiadi

Cant wait.

That's got to be the team.

Henderson & Suso can come on after an hour if Sahin and Assaidi are looking tired.

• Kopite
  • Shakedown, 1979
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2012, 10:10:48 am »
I think the easiest pick will be the replacement for Shelvey. It's Gerrard, in the 2nd striker role. I wouldn't worry about Assaidi. Suso has shown he can have an impact. So we'd just play Assaidi and when he tires, we bring on Suso. No problem.

How is Gerrard replacing Shelvey? They both played against Utd...
Fuck it, I'm taking me dog for a walk. The pair of us are completely bollocksed and take turns a piece dragging one another along. We look a bit like one of Roy's midfield pairings, but with a wee bit more guile and panache. Well, on the dog's side, anyway

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 10:23:54 am »

Agree with this, Assaidi easily did enough to justify a place and Sahin looks like is getting up to the pace now.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 10:24:41 am »
Great OP, I also have good memories of Norwich away that involve the match where Justin Fashnu scored that goal and and an encounter with a young lady, was it really 32 years ago how time flys when you're enjoying yourself. I digress.

One of the brightest things recently has been our youngsters, Brendan has blooded a few and they've stepped up to the mark. With our injuries it looks like a few of tem will get a chance probably a bit quicker than was anticipated.

If Enriques still not fit Robinson will probably be given a chance with Johnstone switching. Coates or Carragher, I like Coates but the manager may want Carraghers experience for balance.   In the middle will it be Sahin who Rodgers has just loaned or will he give Henderson a chance, I'd like to see Henderson given a chance. He's still a young lad with loads of potential probably weighed down by the expectations that come with a hefty transfer fee but be interesting to see him given the responsibility.

Up front who would I like to see in the front three probably Gerrard but that's not going to happen at Norwich but for me the question is whether the manager thinks Suso's ready for a full game alongside Suarez and Sterling. I like the young lad Morgan but then we're into the realms of Football Manager ;D
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 10:25:11 am »
Agree with this, Assaidi easily did enough to justify a place and Sahin looks like is getting up to the pace now.

The game against West Brom wasn't a cake walk though. They could be knackered and unable to keep up the high pressing game we use 2 games in a row.

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 10:35:53 am »
Norwich will certainly look to press the centre backs looking for scraps and mistakes. Think they will do this especially to Coates as he will be more nervy being the new man in the team. Would like to see him play it longer ad do what Hansen was suggesting. I don't think without agger our centre halves can bring the gall out so I think Allen will be dropping back to get the ball off them a lot. 

I think they have bassong as an injury doubt which may help us as he's a good experienced pro

I get the feeling Suarez can get at their defenders. Again it's about taking chances though. Norwich are similar to us where they like to keep possession but are not the most economical when it comes to chance taking

Oh and we have struggled to keep clean sheets ( I don't think we have kept one in the last 15 pl games) so that will encourage hilt and co. I think the fact that Norwich fans feel this game is winnable fir them we may see an open game. We can exploit the gaps better than them with Steve g, assaidi, Suso and Suarez.

4-2 to us

• Kopite
  • Shakedown, 1979
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 10:38:21 am »
( I don't think we have kept one in the last 15 pl games)

That's shocking if true. The last one I can deffo recall is the 3-0 at Carrow

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 10:40:02 am »
Regarding the OP,i can see that team starting the game with the blatant exception of Henderson not starting the game.It will either be Sahin or Suso.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2012, 10:41:14 am »
The game against West Brom wasn't a cake walk though. They could be knackered and unable to keep up the high pressing game we use 2 games in a row.

I think assaidi tired but sahin looked strong. So maybe have sahin starting with hendo as back up on the benching case he doesn't maintain an energetic performance.

But assaidi should be on the bench because sterling is fresh. I think Brend rested sterling with Norwich in mind so I think he is already pencilled in in the team sheet.

Would like to see more long range shooting. We got a long range goal last night and some in preseason.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 10:47:53 am »
Holt is still at Norwich isnt he. He's a handful like and i'd be a bit worried about Carragher handling him. I'd prefer Coates and Skrtel to do a number on him than have Carragher in there honestly. He worried me at times did Jamie with Lukaku last night and although Holt doesn't have that strength in his legs that Lukaku has he's a handful in the air. Thinking back to last year where we battered them at anfield but got fuck all, well a draw but felt like a loss to me...did carragher lose holt for there equaliser, not 100 percent on this to be honest but he lost so many people in the box last year its hard to keep count, no offence.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:49:46 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 10:48:48 am »
That's shocking if true. The last one I can deffo recall is the 3-0 at Carrow

Another factor for this game is that because they were done badly by us last season they will have extra motivation to get a result against us to make amends. I know it's a new manager etc but the players will still remember and the fans will certainly recall it :)

Our players should be motivated, we haven't won a league game yet so obviously the players are itching to get the three points but I also think with all these youngsters doing well players will be looking to cement their place in the team as they see competition (plus brend gas hinted at getting new players in the winter draft) so that should help motivate the players to perform. And on top if that they've seen senior players such as downing and carra fall down the pecking order so they know the manager is ruthless - in the case of downing spectacularly ruthless. The players no they can't live off reputations if price tags but have to deliver every match. W

Offline Z e u s

• Greek God of Whinging. But for the good of the forum! Son of Moanus and Rhea.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2012, 12:49:24 pm »
Tough selection for Rodgers.  Will be even tougher when Lucas gets back fit.

Assuming:

- Agger isn't fit (if he is he starts)
- Borini isn't fit (probably wouldn't start him anyway)
- Enrique isn't fit (probably wouldn't have started him anyway)

I think the tough choice Rodgers has is who plays full back with Johnson and the options are either Robinson or Wisdom.  Both played well last night and it would probably make sense for Johnson to go back to his best position and play Robinson on the left.

Centre back partner for Skrtel should be Coates IMO.  Carragher did well last night, but Coates is the future and just as good as Carragher now, some might argue he is better.

I think the rest of the midfield and attacking players will play:

Gerrard, Allen, Sterling, Suarez.

So there are two other spots for grabs and four people fighting for them IMO in Henderson, Sahin, Assaidi and Suso.

I honestly can see an argument for any of those four starting.  But given I'd play our most attacking players and would go for this:

------------------------Reina--------------------------

Johnson-------Skrtel--------Coates--------Robinson

----------------Gerrard-------Allen-------------------

Sterling----------------Suso------------------Assaidi

------------------------Suarez-------------------------

Although that is harsh on Henderson and in particular Sahin who was superb last night.

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2012, 01:01:38 pm »
Tough selection for Rodgers.  Will be even tougher when Lucas gets back fit.

Assuming:

- Agger isn't fit (if he is he starts)
- Borini isn't fit (probably wouldn't start him anyway)
- Enrique isn't fit (probably wouldn't have started him anyway)

I think the tough choice Rodgers has is who plays full back with Johnson and the options are either Robinson or Wisdom.  Both played well last night and it would probably make sense for Johnson to go back to his best position and play Robinson on the left.

Centre back partner for Skrtel should be Coates IMO.  Carragher did well last night, but Coates is the future and just as good as Carragher now, some might argue he is better.

I think the rest of the midfield and attacking players will play:

Gerrard, Allen, Sterling, Suarez.

So there are two other spots for grabs and four people fighting for them IMO in Henderson, Sahin, Assaidi and Suso.

I honestly can see an argument for any of those four starting.  But given I'd play our most attacking players and would go for this:

------------------------Reina--------------------------

Johnson-------Skrtel--------Coates--------Robinson

----------------Gerrard-------Allen-------------------

Sterling----------------Suso------------------Assaidi

------------------------Suarez-------------------------

Although that is harsh on Henderson and in particular Sahin who was superb last night.

Nah Suso IMO is not going to have the necesaarily discipline or experience playing in our midfield three. He doesn't have the same physicality of hendo an sahin. For me players like Suso and sterling Gould be out wide and our dedicated midfielders should be competing for spots in the midfield 3.