Author Topic: Family Tree Searches  (Read 43028 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Family Tree Searches
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2013, 02:48:53 pm »
Thanks lads, I'll look in to this over the next day or so.

Much appreciated.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2013, 09:15:57 am »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2013, 01:58:39 pm »
Cheers, I'll look at that in the week mate.

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2013, 07:01:46 pm »
RFA had a base in Brighton, if that's any help

Offline pewithree3

• Has a grumpy old female arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2013, 07:37:42 pm »
Freebmd for all of the country & Wales.

Difficult to get on to at times because it is
used by people all over the world, best
of a morning before N. American gets up.

Cheshirebmd covers up to Warrington.

WW1 officer records should be okay to find,
The national archives might help for officers
of course about 75 per cent of other ranks records
were destroyed  by the London blitz.
Bollocks,  they were burnt to make room for
WW2 records.

All main libraries should have trade directories
which show alphabetical listings by street or by
name even for ordinary people.
 Merseyside are known as Kelly`s or Gores.

Commonwealth War Graves Commission
has a "Debt of Honour" thread for armed forces
who have died.

Western Front Association website might help
with advice and hints for WW1 info.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #125 on: July 3, 2013, 02:33:40 pm »
Has anyone on here tried to find out about their family history pre-grandparents?

My granddad recently passed away and he was the last of 7 siblings to die. I don't really know anything about his parents or before that so I've decided to try and find out more about where my family comes from and how far back I can trace it.

I've spoken to my Nan and have got only the names of my granddads parents. Thats all I have to go on for now. She was busy when I spoke to her so I'll ring her back later to get any more info I can get.

If anyone has done this before do you have any tips for me before I have to spend money on family history sites?

Cheers  :wave
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: July 3, 2013, 02:46:49 pm »
It depends where you live. My brother traced our family back about 175 years. I'd suggest going to the town hall where your grandparents lived as children and looking up birth records there. Another clue would be to take an afternoon and walk through that town's cemeteries. You may also have a historical society nearby -- we have one here for French-Americans which enabled us to find information about my mother's side of the family. Also, if your family immigrated into your country, there are records of that somewhere. In the States, my brother was able to look up my dad's family coming over from Ireland in the early 1800s from the Ellis Island books.

And for anyone living in North America who is of French-Canadian ancestry, this is an important one. The first 300 or so French families who settled in North America did so around Quebec City. They kept getting attacked/harassed by natives. So they moved onto Ile D'Orleans, an island in the St. Lawrence River about 10 miles outside the current city. That island has a fantastic museum with records of all of those families. Basically, if your North American family has French blood in it, odds are your roots trace to that island. You will find the plot of land your families owned in the 1600s and go and visit it. I did so and it was amazing. It's a very pretty little island too, perfect for a relaxing vacation.
http://tourisme.iledorleans.com/en/ile-d-orleans/founding-families-of-ile-d-orleans/
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: July 3, 2013, 02:48:26 pm »
You should drop Wooltonian a pm. Pretty sure he's big into this stuff

Actually here's a thread. Good luck
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=60992.0
« Last Edit: July 3, 2013, 02:50:38 pm by Lawnmowerman »

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #128 on: July 3, 2013, 03:25:41 pm »
Cheers for the replys :wave
JFT96 - YNWA

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Cochise

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #129 on: July 3, 2013, 03:28:56 pm »
I've just started looking into my family history. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated.

I found that my nans uncle was awarded the Victoria Cross which is pretty cool.
JFT96 - YNWA

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: July 3, 2013, 04:28:47 pm »

Very, very interesting. Thanks for that info.

Offline meff

• istoffeles?
  • Kopite
  • does your dog bite?
« Reply #131 on: July 4, 2013, 10:32:02 pm »
Where are your family from Cochise?

A subscription to a site which holds parish registers covering the areas you're interested in can save you a ton of leg-work when you hit that brick wall before the start of civil registration in 1837. Having said that you will probably find that some of your family lines originated from places you really didn't expect.

Outside of statutory records (births, marriages, deaths) and parish registers, military records and newspaper archives can be a great source of detailed information for tying up loose ends. A lot of these are available online, ie: findmypast have the national newspaper archive and army pension records. National archives have merchant service cards and a multitude of other collections available electronically for a one-off charge per document.

Good luck.
For those about to Klopp! We salute you

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2013, 09:49:18 am »
This newspaper archives link gives 3 free views if you register; it can maybe lead to some useful information.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/?gclid=CP-68pOHrLgCFebJtAodEFMA3A

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2013, 01:52:49 pm »
This newspaper archives link gives 3 free views if you register; it can maybe lead to some useful information.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/?gclid=CP-68pOHrLgCFebJtAodEFMA3A

Done, don't like the credit system though.

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2013, 04:45:22 pm »
Just confirmed with my Dad that we are coming back to Liverpool for the day on Wednesday.

During my research I found out that there is a grave in Toxteth Cemetery with 7  members of my Dad's family in, including my Great Grandmother and Grandfather. We don't believe anyone knows about it and therefore goes to see it or maintain it, so we've been planning on coming to Liverpool to leave some flowers and tidy it up.

We're also hopefully going to be visiting the records office, and then have a look around Liverpool itself.
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2013, 04:12:21 pm »
Just confirmed with my Dad that we are coming back to Liverpool for the day on Wednesday.

During my research I found out that there is a grave in Toxteth Cemetery with 7  members of my Dad's family in, including my Great Grandmother and Grandfather. We don't believe anyone knows about it and therefore goes to see it or maintain it, so we've been planning on coming to Liverpool to leave some flowers and tidy it up.

We're also hopefully going to be visiting the records office, and then have a look around Liverpool itself.

A bit odd having 7 from the same family in 1 grave, maybe more than 1 plot?
Hope the trip goes well, hoping to go to records office later in year, will probably have to spend a few days in there,so any tips on navigating the place would be appreciated

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2013, 06:44:33 pm »

Hope the trip goes well, hoping to go to records office later in year, will probably have to spend a few days in there,so any tips on navigating the place would be appreciated

I thought that myself, it possibly is one plot, however on the Toxteth Park Cemetery website it lists them all under the same grave number.

I had hoped to spend a couple of days in Liverpool, however unfortunately the wife, seeing I had a week of work, booked us in for other things on Tuesday and Thursday, and my parents go away on Saturday meaning there are no 2 consecutive days free. It means I've got to drive from Leicester to Lincoln tomorrow night to stay at my parents, we'll then leave very early Wednesday morning for Liverpool and come back Wednesday night. I have a feeling I'll be requiring quite a bit of red bull.

It also means I won't get much time in the records office, so I'll have to try and get together a list of what we want to find out beforehand, and try to stick to that. I know from experience that once you start finding records and they start branching out you can spend hours doing it. As long as I find some billionaire ancestor whose riches are yet to be claimed then I'll be happy :)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2013, 08:52:56 pm »

All of the archives are found on the 3rd floor; here's a link to the Central Library site...http://liverpool.gov.uk/libraries/find-a-library/central-library/

...and here are some photos I took the other week to give you some feel for the place:

BTW you don't have to book a 'reader', they're on a first come first serve basis; you'd have to be pretty unlucky not to be able to get on one straight away - apart maybe on a Tuesday when the local Family History crew are in town.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:56:29 pm by Tsar Kastik »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2013, 09:01:34 pm »

Good luck with that mate, and I know it may seem an odd thing to say but enjoy it. When you see the graves you'll probably be quite touched.

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2013, 09:24:31 pm »

Wow, its a lot bigger that I expected. Then again the only records office I've been to so far is Huntingdon, which was tiny :)

Good luck with that mate, and I know it may seem an odd thing to say but enjoy it. When you see the graves you'll probably be quite touched.

Thanks. It does feel a bit strange really looking forward to going and seeing it, but it will be nice to give it a tidy up and leave some flowers if, as expected, its in a bit of a mess. It would be a nice surprise to get there and find out it is still visited though. We're going to be picking up my cousin when we get there as she's really interested in all the family history, hopefully as she lives in Liverpool she'll be able to visit more often than us and keep it maintained.

I've also found a second grave/plot in the cemetery for other members of the family from around the same time, so will be visiting them too.

I did get a bit worried a few minutes ago though that I'd gone off in the wrong direction somewhere and had made a mistake in thinking it was a grave of our ancestors. I'm just doing a little more research, and found a census record (though with minimal information as I'm not subscribed with Ancestry at the moment) with a family sharing many of the names of ours, including 2 of those we are visiting on Wednesday. However, this census record showed them to be the same age as each other, whereas the burial record suggests they were born 11 years apart. After some frenzied going through my records I found all the census records I already have match up with the burial records. Massive coincidence though - the parents names were the same, same area of Liverpool, and several of the kids names were the same.

On the plus side I have found the maiden name of one of those we are going to see - known her first name for years but could never find out anything more.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2013, 09:54:24 pm »
Damian, have you downloaded the site map from the Toxteth cemetery site? if not , it can save you a lot of time.

There are quite large chunks of the cemetery that have no headstones - quite a lot were destroyed by a bomb in WW11- so it might be worthwhile if you use the map from the Toxteth site alongside this aerial view (zoom in)  via Google...https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?gs_rn=24&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=0AyehsVlWyQ2qbu7Qu2GhA&cp=10&gs_id=15&xhr=t&q=toxteth+cemetery&safe=active&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.50500085,d.d2k&biw=1004&bih=456&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

On the subject of of gravestone photos, this site is useful http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/country.php?country=En

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2013, 10:23:26 pm »
Damian, have you downloaded the site map from the Toxteth cemetery site? if not , it can save you a lot of time.

There are quite large chunks of the cemetery that have no headstones - quite a lot were destroyed by a bomb in WW11- so it might be worthwhile if you use the map from the Toxteth site alongside this aerial view (zoom in)  via Google...https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?gs_rn=24&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=0AyehsVlWyQ2qbu7Qu2GhA&cp=10&gs_id=15&xhr=t&q=toxteth+cemetery&safe=active&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.50500085,d.d2k&biw=1004&bih=456&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

On the subject of of gravestone photos, this site is useful http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/country.php?country=En

I have got the maps of the sections, however, what I can't find is where those fit into the Google map. For example, I have the map for Section O, but I can't tell where in the cemetery section O is. Same with section 3.

EDIT: Ignore that, just found the plans on the same site :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:26:34 pm by damian »

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2013, 10:38:37 pm »
Thanks TK, place looks huge, pic9 just happens to show file drawer for the Toffees, you weren't peeking by chance :),
also thanks for heads up for Tuesdays

Damian, if you still need a plan for TP let me know.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:40:14 pm by L12 »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2013, 11:01:04 pm »
How can you find out where relatives are buried in Birkenhead?

I found some graves in a small Woodchurch church but only because someone on the ancestry site signposted me there.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2013, 11:23:41 pm »

I found some graves in a small Woodchurch church but only because someone on the ancestry site signposted me there.

Have a look around here John..http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/subdists.php#bir1

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2013, 11:39:50 pm »
Thanks TK, place looks huge, pic9 just happens to show file drawer for the Toffees, you weren't peeking by chance :),

Ha, no.

I was thinking I'd photo the whole row of filing cabinets for future reference (close enough to read the labels) to began to feel a prune so just snapped a few; hence the lousy quality.

A couple more;

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2013, 12:11:44 am »

Hey John,
how's the search for gf & ggf coming along?
For burial records you can try recordoffice@cheshiresharedservices.gov.uk.they are on Duke Street in Chester or Landican cemetery services, they are part of Wirral Borough Council

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2013, 11:51:44 am »
Hey John,
how's the search for gf & ggf coming along?
For burial records you can try recordoffice@cheshiresharedservices.gov.uk.they are on Duke Street in Chester or Landican cemetery services, they are part of Wirral Borough Council
On my mums side (my most recent search) I couldn't get any further with my gt gf in Brighton. Even with your help & us having that address in London for my gf, I can't establish anything concrete about my gt gf.

On my dads side I did well after your helpful head start, Got back to before 1774 (gt gt gt gt gt gp's) then the info dried up. However I'm interested in where many of them could be buried. Landican don't have any records, I asked an they said they don't keep old info.

I haven't been searching much lately will will re-visit it all soon to do some tidying up.
Cheers L12.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2013, 01:01:06 pm »
Wirral Archives Service link here, there's a phone number; maybe worth a ring

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-services/leisure-and-culture/wirral-archives-service

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2013, 01:38:57 pm »

Thanks, I found it in the end. The actual grave maps aren't great though in that they don't specify which way up they are, however I know the graves are in the corners of the sections so if we check each corner I'm sure we'll find them in the end :) 

I'm surprised at how much info I managed to get based on the graves - managed to find out the maiden name of my Great Great Aunt, from there I found out the names of her parents. I then found that they were living with a family including my surname, which got me even more information. I won't need to go to the records office at this rate :)

One question I do have - are camera's allowed in the records office? i.e. can I take photos of any records we find with my phone?

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2013, 02:18:40 pm »
Damian. Yes you can take photos, but the records are on microfiche and read via a reader. Each reader has an attached printer alongside it to allow print-offs; but you need to line the page up properly (might be worth getting the lady who is on duty for help - she's very accommodating.
I've often taken photos of the reader screen when I'm not bothered about quality.

An example:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:23:44 pm by Tsar Kastik »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2013, 02:36:05 pm »
I've just realised: that photo is of part of a newspaper page and will obviously not be as clear as something that has been copied from a much smaller ledger page. So just to muddy the waters even more; here is a photo taken by me of a cemetery record displayed on the same kind of reader,

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2013, 09:47:05 pm »
Thanks TK, Cheshire Records office have also been useful.

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: August 16, 2013, 11:11:59 pm »
Well, we visited Liverpool on Wednesday and ended up spending just an hour in the Records Office. I'd planned to be in there for several hours, but it turned out others who were with us had different plans. A little frustrated, and didn't really get anything I didn't already know unfortunately. However, I did learn that I need to prepare much better next time (and leave certain others at home).

When I went to Huntingdon Records Office they had books with a lot of records transcribed in them, which made things a little easier than going through slides, so before our next visit I'll make sure I've got a full list of exactly who I want to look up to make it a little easier.

The visit to the cemetery didn't start very well either. The first grave we went to see contains my great grandfather and 6 other members of the family. Unfortunately it turns out they don't have a stone, we could only identify it by the stones either side. However, we then moved onto my great great uncle (brother of my great grandfather), and he does have a stone which is fairly new. From the names on the stone I also found out the name of his sons wife, who passed away in 1998, and they have grand children and great grandchildren so hopefully there is a chance we can get in touch (we left a note with contact details, but not sure how often the grave is visited).

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2013, 11:21:17 pm »
Not sure if I have mentioned this before, but at Lancashire Records Office there is this delicate old Liverpool directory from the 1790s. It's a smallish book and the writing isn't very legible, but it is publicly available and you can just pick it up from the bookcase and look at it.

Also, I have a worldwide subscription on Ancestry, so always happy to look things up for people who don't have access to a lot of the records there.

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2013, 11:42:39 pm »
Not sure if I have mentioned this before, but at Lancashire Records Office there is this delicate old Liverpool directory from the 1790s. It's a smallish book and the writing isn't very legible, but it is publicly available and you can just pick it up from the bookcase and look at it.

Also, I have a worldwide subscription on Ancestry, so always happy to look things up for people who don't have access to a lot of the records there.

Thanks, I'll have to take a look at that when I visit next. My main research up to now has concentrated on trying to get as far back as possible with my surname (so always looking at the paternal side of the families), and so far I've got as far back as around 1797 (where I'm 100% certain of correctness), and possibly back to the 1600's. Prior to the 1880's they were all born in Huntingdonshire so wouldn't be included in that directory, but my great great grandmother was born in Liverpool (which I assume is why the family then moved there) so it will be very useful in tracing back that side of the family.

Thanks for the offer of Ancestry searches - I'm mostly in football mode again at the moment but might ask for your assistance next week sometime as I think I did find a possible link to Ireland which has me intrigued. It may be nothing, but we found a family with our surname, and first names matching some of those that have been passed down through generations, living in a street that known ancestors later lived in, so a possible link.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: August 17, 2013, 12:21:20 am »
Keep at it damian.

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 17, 2013, 05:58:37 pm »
Did anyone ever see the Who Do You Think You Are with programme Natasha Kaplinsky?

She is my wife's 2nd cousin and the show is basically about my wife's family. Very emotional.

As for me, my family arrived in the UK from Holland in 1656.

An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...
Proud to be part of the LFC family

Offline pinkdragon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2013, 04:43:48 am »
I sent my DNA off to ancestry.com and got back the results I expected. 39% Central Europe, 38% British Isles, 21% Scandinavian. Through the site I've been able to trace back to 1094 on my father's side of the family. It costs money, but for easy searching, it's well worth it. Can't wait to have it done, make copies and cancel the monthly cost. Good luck. It's been fascinating to say the least. Would like to do more in depth searching, but that would mean spending months in the UK and Germany.
My love. My passion. My life. Liverpool Football Club.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2013, 01:59:55 am »
I sent my DNA off to ancestry.com and got back the results I expected. 39% Central Europe, 38% British Isles, 21% Scandinavian. Through the site I've been able to trace back to 1094 on my father's side of the family. It costs money, but for easy searching, it's well worth it. Can't wait to have it done, make copies and cancel the monthly cost. Good luck. It's been fascinating to say the least. Would like to do more in depth searching, but that would mean spending months in the UK and Germany.

I would recommend 23andMe, it gives you a lot of ancestry and health information.