Author Topic: Looking for a good Computer Monitor  (Read 5271 times)

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Looking for a good Computer Monitor
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:45:51 pm »
As I'm working from home a bit more now I've actually got a decent desk and docking station set up. The next thing I'm after really is a decent monitor, as I can't nick the works ones (crap anyway) and using the laptop one is not really feasible.

I'm looking at either a 24 or 27 inch model but I'm not sure if the 27 might be a bit too big.

What I need is something that's primarily good for spreadsheets, and graphical planning programs that I use. I have to have a fair few programs open at a time, and tend to arrange them over an extended 2 monitors. I can do this at home as I have an older monitor, but  its pretty frustrating using the laptop screen with it. I'ts quite an old 4:3 (flat) monitor as well - but good quality.

It's not a dealbreaker, but I'd like it to be good enough to play some games on as well for my son. Not state of the art stuff, but  enough to use with a decent graphics card with a bit of future proofing.

My docking station just has a DVI and VGA output, and the laptop itself has a Display port output. So it needs to be able to take a selection of these. My home laptop has a HDMI output so I'd also need that as well. Needs to be 16:9 as well really.

I had a look in Currys and all the monitors seemed to be wired up to the worlds fuzziest program to cycle through - with loads of pauses for what I presume was buffering. I asked if they would connect it up to a decent source and they said they couldnt. FFS how hard would it be to wang it onto a laptop?  So they can lap off.

Anyone have any good recommendations? Max spend would be about £250.

Ta
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Looking for a good Computer Monitor
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 02:13:43 pm »
I have two 27" Asus VE278Q currently and couldn't recommend them enough.

Reasonably priced, good colour set up (I do a fair amount of photo editing) and good for general working on spreadsheets / word docs.

Not done any gaming on them but are excellent for movies.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:19:50 pm »
Thanks guys.

both recommendations look good, but as per usual I've now narrowed it down to about 20 and growing  ???

I need to make a decision sharpish as I want it by Monday  :)
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 12:05:48 am »
I've been looking at the LG ultrawide models recently mate as it sounds like I have the same requirements as yourself - this one is a 29 inch, but isn't as massive as a standard 29" screen because of its width:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-109-LG&adword=google/pla&gclid=Cj0KEQjw06GfBRCR9tDI4t6n5_MBEiQAFo6kuKzZRQlHG2PnU_kxSSwwPCX7byNZUgtJSYIkwWy87-YaAtWE8P8HAQ

Just ordered one of these babies. Thanks for the recommendation.  :-)

Offline Aussie_Red1980

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Computer Monitor
« Reply #4 on: July 5, 2016, 04:34:09 am »
I'm looking to buy a new computer monitor in a couple of months.

I'd love some advise on what to go for. It needs to have a good refresh rate and have a fantastic picture quality..

Thanks  :)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Computer Monitor
« Reply #5 on: July 5, 2016, 08:39:24 am »
Dell Ultrasharp.
Reasonably affordable IPS monitor with good colours and refresh rate.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #6 on: July 5, 2016, 09:24:02 am »
I would say it really depends on what your PC can manage (performance wise), what your budget is, what you're planning on using it for (gaming, media, work?), how big you'd like the screen and if you're looking at future upgrades (to PC).

Offline Aussie_Red1980

• Kemlynite
« Reply #7 on: July 5, 2016, 09:41:52 am »
Dell Ultrasharp.
Reasonably affordable IPS monitor with good colours and refresh rate.

I'll have a look at them  ;)

Offline Aussie_Red1980

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8 on: July 5, 2016, 09:45:25 am »
I would say it really depends on what your PC can manage (performance wise), what your budget is, what you're planning on using it for (gaming, media, work?), how big you'd like the screen and if you're looking at future upgrades (to PC).

I'm going to build a new pc soonish too. I'm just waiting to see when the GTX 1080 Ti's are released and then build the rest around that. In saying that I really just want a monitor which will handle gaming well..

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #9 on: July 5, 2016, 09:52:37 am »
I'm going to build a new pc soonish too. I'm just waiting to see when the GTX 1080 Ti's are released and then build the rest around that. In saying that I really just want a monitor which will handle gaming well..
Acer Predator X34
http://www.ebuyer.com/745369-acer-predator-x34a-34-curved-ips-uw-qhd-monitor-um-cx0ee-a01

Acer Predator XB271HK
http://www.ebuyer.com/722323-acer-predator-xb271hk-27-4k2k-ips-g-sync-monitor-um-hx1ee-001

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #11 on: July 7, 2016, 08:22:11 am »
I've been looking at the AOC U2879VF (28", 4k, 1ms, £290).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01B9JZYZG

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 7, 2016, 08:55:59 am »
Personally I'd always go with Asus for monitors. Just find them to be good value for money, good build quality.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2016, 09:04:58 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline Aussie_Red1980

• Kemlynite
« Reply #13 on: July 7, 2016, 09:52:25 am »
Personally I'd always go with Asus for monitors. Just find them to be good value for money, good build quality.

My brother has a Asus ROG swift. He loves it. I've only seen him play world of tanks on it. Looks nice though.

Offline Aussie_Red1980

• Kemlynite
« Reply #14 on: July 7, 2016, 09:53:31 am »
At this point in time, should I be looking at 4k monitors?

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 8, 2016, 12:02:40 pm »
At this point in time, should I be looking at 4k monitors?

Well done you plan on playing content at 4k?

Offline Aussie_Red1980

• Kemlynite
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 11:42:30 pm »
Well done you plan on playing content at 4k?

Probably just for gaming. Very keen on Battlefield 1 and Mafia III. Plus I'm planning on grabbing a gtx 1080 or simalar graphics card to build my pc around. If i'm doing that, should I only be looking at 4k monitors?

Offline Aussie_Red1980

• Kemlynite

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #18 on: December 8, 2016, 02:12:56 pm »
I prefer two monitors, esp when spreadsheets are concerned. 2 x 21" monitors are what I have at work and theyre great. Makes spreadsheet work a doddle. My pref for manufacturer is Iiyama, mainly because I used to be a CAD operator and they did the best(ish) ones back in the day. Ive stuck with them since. At work theyre LG and to be honest theyre pretty darned good. I' never work with one monitor ever again.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Aussie_Red1980

• Kemlynite
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 05:51:54 am »
Ordered the other Acer monitor but then had a change of heart and bought the one I really wanted but struggled to justify its purchase  ;D

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/621137/Acer-Predator-X34-34-G-SYNC-Curved-Ultrawide-IPS-LED-Gaming-Monitor

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 10:23:19 am »
Dell Ultrasharp is the way to go.

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 09:07:37 am »
Hi All,

Quick question, i have a work laptop which i use and i am thinking about buying a monitor for home use. What will happen to the output of the screen if the resolution of the laptop is lower than that of the monitor?

Offline OperationIvy

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 02:45:03 pm »
Hi All,

Quick question, i have a work laptop which i use and i am thinking about buying a monitor for home use. What will happen to the output of the screen if the resolution of the laptop is lower than that of the monitor?

I have never tried it but I dont think it will matter. Your laptop should detect the native resolution of the monitor and display at that resolution. If, for some strange reason it doesn't, you can always set it manually.

FWIW, I used run a dual screen with my lower res 900p desktop monitor and 1080p sony tv. Worked fine, but note that both the aspect ratios were the same (16:9).

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 04:11:28 pm »
Hi All,

What OperationIvy siad is correct.

Offline Texas Reds Fan

• The first to learn about Project: Rename LFC
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is emptiness, emptiness is form
« Reply #24 on: April 2, 2017, 05:26:07 pm »
I got a 29" LG Ultra-Wide, 21:9 aspect ratio monitor a few months back. It's incredible. I'll never go back to 16:9, and I'm planning on upgrading to a 34" soon.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 7, 2017, 06:11:13 pm »
I got a 29" LG Ultra-Wide, 21:9 aspect ratio monitor a few months back. It's incredible. I'll never go back to 16:9, and I'm planning on upgrading to a 34" soon.

We have the 34".  It's superb.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 8, 2020, 01:36:23 am »
Took a gamble and got myself a Samsung curved monitor today.  Only 24" as that's what I'm used to and I use consoles for any gaming.

Love it.  Don't know how the hell I survived on my old thing now i'm using this.  Things look so freakin' clear and my Adobe Premiere Pro projects just got looking better!!!

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #27 on: April 8, 2020, 11:30:38 am »
Glad that while I was working I got the BenQ EX3203R 31.5inch monitor - curved, and through DisplayPort it's brilliant!

£400 mind. So couldn't have done it on le dole!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 9, 2020, 12:27:05 am »
Glad that while I was working I got the BenQ EX3203R 31.5inch monitor - curved, and through DisplayPort it's brilliant!

£400 mind. So couldn't have done it on le dole!

On the subject of Displayports

My HP Elite book doesn't have a HDMI port, so I'm currently connected to my new monitor just through the VGA ports. 

The laptop does have 2 displayports though and I can get a Displayport>HDMI cable for less than a tenner off Amazon.

Daft question here, but is the quality though displayport/HDMI much better than a VGA connection?

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #29 on: April 9, 2020, 04:58:02 pm »
I'm back in the hunt for a good general purpose monitor since I've picked up gaming again in the lockdown and the 22" cheap thing I bought for £40 back in the day is a bit lacking.

My requirements are around 27", 1440p, with a panel that makes games look good rather than have high refresh rates (I'm not an online gamer). For this reason I've seen VA or IPS recommended over TN.

I've always been a multi-monitor person, I love the look of widescreens but when I game I often have maps/chat etc on a 2nd monitor, how does a single ultrawide handle that? Do you play everything in a windowed mode or something? I can't imagine 1st person games look good if they're stretched across the entire screen.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2020, 11:54:58 am »
Daft question here, but is the quality though displayport/HDMI much better than a VGA connection?

On Windows 10 you will notice a huge difference between VGA and DisplayPort/HDMI. Something to do with the way W10 handles grpahics makes VGA connections look horrrendous, it is so blurry.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2020, 09:13:06 pm »
After a 27" 1440p for a second display for office work at the moment, its hard enough for me to choose components normally not helped at the moment by so many monitors being out of stock!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:15:20 pm by filopastry »

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2020, 11:29:59 am »

Than VGA?? Yes, put simply VGA has an upper limit with picture clarity that HDMI does not. Maybe not for the desktop, but high def video will start to struggle (it's held up quite well to be fair, the monitor I removed this year was VGA)

VGA is analogue, from my IT days I definitely don't miss plugging in VGA cables - HDMI was a godsend in a few ways  :D

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2020, 06:51:19 pm »
Cheers Lads. Gonna order a Displayport>HDMI cable for my lappy.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2020, 01:41:48 pm »
After a 27" 1440p for a second display for office work at the moment, its hard enough for me to choose components normally not helped at the moment by so many monitors being out of stock!

It really depends on the other specs you require (f.ex. in terms of adjustability etc.).

At home (using now), I have a Dell S2719DC which suits me to a tee. It's an IPS-panel, which means it's got great viewing angles, it's beautifully sleek and slim, with thin bezels and connects via. USB-C or HDMI. It also has two USB-A ports, which is great if you're lacking USB-ports on your laptop or stationary. I'm connected to my stationary via. the USB-C, but you can also use this one to connect and power you laptop (depending on the required power of your machine).

The only limitations is the physical adjustability. You can only tilt it up or down. For me that's not an issue, as I prefer looking a bit downwards anyway. There is also no built in camera or speakers.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-usb-c-ultrathin-monitor-s2719dc/apd/210-aqpv/monitors-monitor-accessories

At work I'm using dual Dell UltraSharp UP2716D. The greatest thing with these is the fact that I can adjust it up, down, tilt or even twist it to 90 degrees, which can be useful when reading long documents etc. You also have a lot more connectability in terms of ports, but no USB-C connection.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-27-monitor-with-premiercolor-up2716d/apd/210-aggp/monitors-monitor-accessories

I know there are tons of other options out there, so it really depends on what you're after and willing to pay. And of course, what you will use it for. If it's only for work, these will do just fine, but if you're planning on gaming as well, I'd look for some with a higher refresh rate etc.
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2020, 08:57:32 pm »

Had some issues buying a monitor myself. Had ordered a 28” 4K Philips 3 weeks ago, but delivery date keeps getting pushed back. Ended up cancelling and buying this

https://www.ebuyer.com/838214-samsung-32-uj590-uhd-4k-va-monitor-lu32j590uquxen

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2020, 11:38:00 am »
Ordered the Dell S2721D.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-monitor-s2721d/apd/210-axko/monitors-monitor-accessories

Main thing for me is the 1440p 75Hz and the VESA mount. I dont think I will have to look at another monitor for 5-6 years at the bare minimum. Maybe even longer.

Also the fact that it has two HDMI inputs. I can connect my laptop and desktop without the need for a HDMI splitter.

Costed me €225 in Germany.

I have ordered a monitor stand like the one shown below.