Author Topic: PL: Chelsea 1 vs Liverpool 1 ‘25 Hazard ‘88 Humungous D (absolute banger)  (Read 45518 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jόrgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: PL: Chelsea 1 vs Liverpool 1 ‘25 Hazard ‘88 Humungous D (absolute banger)
« Reply #600 on: September 30, 2018, 12:27:50 pm »
I didn't get a chance to watch the game and following the commentary thread it was beginning to sound as if it would be one of those afternoons. But it says everything about this teams mental strength that we stuck at it and got our just rewards. I can understand the manager being disappointed afterwards you think if we'd have won yesterday and then beaten City we'd be five points up the road. But I certainly don't think its the end of the world. Considering the run of games we've had so far, we've done really well. We just have to keep the same focus and effort up going into the next two fixtures. If we could end with two wins at the end of it, we would be in a really strong place.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #601 on: September 30, 2018, 12:28:30 pm »
Can't believe how negative some of the press and pundits are towards Salah.
Yes he is not flying like he was towards the end of last year, but he is still tormenting defences and creating problems. Just like last season, missing good chances and growing into the season.

Northcroft in the Times this morning gave him a 4 out of 10 and gave Giroud a 6! The latter did absolutely nothing.
Mind you he gave Gini a 5 and I thought he was excellent.
They're biased.

Watching the game back now and Salah and Gini were were comfortably 7 and 8 respectively.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: September 30, 2018, 12:29:01 pm »
Have to say thank you to Northcroft. It's nice to know that someone knows even less about football than me.
:lmao

:champ :wellin

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #603 on: September 30, 2018, 12:30:21 pm »
Knee-jerking based on the early season performances under new manager. He's done it before, but we all know how all that has turned out to be.

Sarri is saying he can score 40 goals, because he knows that Hazard's the only legit source of goals for them and even he has never scored more than 16 goals in the PL so far, so he is trying to get him up as a goalscorer. That means a lot of attacks will end up with him, but if teams start reading him and get him doubled up, then that's him and Chelsea done in the attacking department. Of course, he will still have a few good games, but he has never been an elite goal scorer. They'll score a few set-pieces and corners and Willian will score a worldie now and then, but they're deficient there and will be shown over a good sample size over the season, unless they do something in January.

Their other problem is that they've not faced a single challenging Away game so far, they have a lot of them coming up in the second half of the season, just before the run-in and some in the run-in, so post January and if they go far in the Europa, they will definitely feel the strain and it may get hard results wise. But I think till December/January, they have it to stay in the challenge.

I don’t think it’s just Sarri talking Hazard up as a goalscorer given what he did with Mertens at Napoli. Mertens had never played up top before and was always more of a wide forward but when Higuain left for Napoli, Sarri concerted him (very effectively) to a number nine.

He quite possibly sees a similar trajectory for Hazard.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: September 30, 2018, 12:31:12 pm »
Mo was so, so close to having an absolutely stunning game. The way he made the space for a few of his chances, there really aren't many players who can do that. When he stops doing that, I'll worry. For now, over hitting passes slightly and poor finishing really isn't a massive worry at all. It'll come, and when it does someone is getting fucked.

Like next Sunday, for example.
Agree.

Chelsea were very well drilled and had a good plan for him. Despite that he created really good chances. 

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: September 30, 2018, 12:32:49 pm »
Duncan Castles (now it makes sense :o) did the ratings, not Northcroft (who is very good IMO)
Ah that makes more sense

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jόrgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: September 30, 2018, 12:33:20 pm »
Agree.

Chelsea were very well drilled and had a good plan for him. Despite that he created really good chances.

That is the challenge for Mo this season, team's are giving him closer attention than ever before, so he needs a bit of time to adjust to it, but he isn't a million miles away from being where he needs to be. It will come and sooner than people think.

Offline Teacher

• Pair Ant Even Ink
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #607 on: September 30, 2018, 12:44:46 pm »
Being greedy, am disappointed that we didn`t get 3 points from the game...the team certainly created enough chances to have won.

On the other hand, it`s still early doors in the season and an away point against a rival isn`t to be sniffed at. We are nicely placed in the league, have played some tough games and are 4 points up on last year`s corresponding fixtures. Plenty of reasons to be positive at the moment.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: September 30, 2018, 12:49:59 pm »
I remember on Tuesday the chant of “your support is fucking shit” coming from the notoriously shit Chelsea fans. Yesterday the away Liverpool fans displayed a justice for Grenfell banner while they sang “always the victims” - calling Sturridge a Chelsea reject made his goal all the more sweeter however.

Having said that, it must be tricky to generate an atmosphere when the only chant they have about their own club/team is literally just “Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea, Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea” and the fucking Liquidator. Crap Tory fanbase, Grenfell banner probably unlikely to strike a chord with them.

Offline Nice one, Barney lad!

• Main Stander
  • Take me to your Klopp.
« Reply #609 on: September 30, 2018, 01:05:09 pm »
I’m greedy too and aggrieved we didn’t get 3 - but that’s my default position for every match. Every fucking match.
One Big psychologically important Point yday, though.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #610 on: September 30, 2018, 01:05:12 pm »
Was interesting that. Am in the states til Monday so found a pub and watched it on NBC. The commentator who said that was Lee Dixon, ex Arsenal full back. He said that his old team mate Ian Wright used to say if the ball was coming in from the left, go with your left because if you miss you still potential could have it under control if it hits your right. I’m not qualified to be calling out a man with Ian Wright’s goal record, but I’m just not sure that’s right in this particular situation. Perhaps if it was a cut back, or a ball less whipped in then the striker is better served by almost getting ahead of the ball and using his left to sweep it in, but the nature of the ball in, directionally and with pace, plus with Shaqiri’s position, meant taking with his left would have been a really, really difficult technique. He would’ve have to time it absolutely perfectly. Sorting out his legs to direct the cross in a sort of hooking motion would’ve much harder than what he did do.

Letting it come across his body onto the right was the right thing to do, he just got it wrong. As a chance it is both no where as easy as it looks but simultaneously a chance I’d expect a premier league football to do better with, if that doesn’t sound too contradictory!

Just mention because Lee Dixon’s comment got me thinking!

Dixon was wrong. Yes if the ball is travelling parallel to the goal-line then maybe use your left but it was running away from Shaq and using his right was the correct foot.
#JFT97

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #611 on: September 30, 2018, 01:20:20 pm »
Can't believe how negative some of the press and pundits are towards Salah.
Yes he is not flying like he was towards the end of last year, but he is still tormenting defences and creating problems. Just like last season, missing good chances and growing into the season.

Northcroft in the Times this morning gave him a 4 out of 10 and gave Giroud a 6! The latter did absolutely nothing.
Mind you he gave Gini a 5 and I thought he was excellent.

He did most things very well. It's a fine line sometimes and he could have hat a hat-trick on a different day.

He does cut a frustrated figure at the moment, however.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #612 on: September 30, 2018, 01:29:37 pm »
Absolutely felt like a win. This is exactly the kind of game that even one year ago we would have been left frustrated and unable to pull anything back. It was starting to feel like that up until Sturridge's absolute worldie. Unbelievable goal. And a massively important one too, not just for the table but in terms of keeping up our momentum going into the next two matches. Absolute credit that we kept on making chances even when it was starting to look like it wasn't going to happen.

What a week of footy this will be!

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: September 30, 2018, 01:30:39 pm »
Spurs, Chelsea and Palace away in the capital and 7 points to show for it and still tons of improvement to come.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #614 on: September 30, 2018, 01:34:43 pm »
I don’t know, I just don’t see where their goals come from over the entire season.
Agree. Chelsea's not ready to challenge. They don't have the firepower yet. They don't have anyone to consistently rely upon in Hazard's absence and he can't play +40 games in a row- at the same performance level.

They will be a nuisance for sure, but a challenger? Nope.

Should've buried them yesterday. Been a shit time since yesterday. Our front 3 should take a good look at themselves.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:39:07 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: September 30, 2018, 01:40:15 pm »
I love the fact that we came from behind to grab the point late in the game.

I also love the fact that the subs had a real impact - sure Shaq missed that chance but can you imagine what other teams must feel when that is the calibre of sub coming on.

We've not been able to do that for absolute ages.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: September 30, 2018, 01:48:00 pm »
I didn't get a chance to watch the game and following the commentary thread it was beginning to sound as if it would be one of those afternoons. But it says everything about this teams mental strength that we stuck at it and got our just rewards. I can understand the manager being disappointed afterwards you think if we'd have won yesterday and then beaten City we'd be five points up the road. But I certainly don't think its the end of the world. Considering the run of games we've had so far, we've done really well. We just have to keep the same focus and effort up going into the next two fixtures. If we could end with two wins at the end of it, we would be in a really strong place.
Ferguson used to play to par against his direct rivals and beat the rest.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: September 30, 2018, 01:50:06 pm »
Ferguson used to play to par against his direct rivals and beat the rest.

Is right, and so far that is what we have done. If we could get a win against City though that would be a massive statement.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #618 on: September 30, 2018, 02:03:56 pm »
Was interesting that. Am in the states til Monday so found a pub and watched it on NBC. The commentator who said that was Lee Dixon, ex Arsenal full back. He said that his old team mate Ian Wright used to say if the ball was coming in from the left, go with your left because if you miss you still potential could have it under control if it hits your right. I’m not qualified to be calling out a man with Ian Wright’s goal record, but I’m just not sure that’s right in this particular situation. Perhaps if it was a cut back, or a ball less whipped in then the striker is better served by almost getting ahead of the ball and using his left to sweep it in, but the nature of the ball in, directionally and with pace, plus with Shaqiri’s position, meant taking with his left would have been a really, really difficult technique. He would’ve have to time it absolutely perfectly. Sorting out his legs to direct the cross in a sort of hooking motion would’ve much harder than what he did do.

Letting it come across his body onto the right was the right thing to do, he just got it wrong. As a chance it is both no where as easy as it looks but simultaneously a chance I’d expect a premier league football to do better with, if that doesn’t sound too contradictory!

Just mention because Lee Dixon’s comment got me thinking!

Dixon was wrong. It's not so much about the direction the ball is coming from, but more the body shape of the receiver and the direction they are moving in. Shaqiri was square to the goal, and running onto a lateral ball. Opposite foot was correct. If he was running to meet the ball, and facing it head on (or facing the corner flag, even better), then left foot would have been the correct option.

He basically did everything right except the contact, which he made a balls of (probably took his eye off the ball at the last second)
Better looking than Samie.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: September 30, 2018, 02:33:28 pm »
Excellent post mate, fully agree.

Except for the don't shoot part, always think if anyone can score from there from our team, it's Sturridge, he'll get it wrong sometimes but I'll wager he gets it right more than the average. I mean, if it was Smicer, I'd definitely be screaming don't shoot :P
That Smicer shout is one I can fully agree on. Glad he ignored me  :)
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #620 on: September 30, 2018, 02:39:40 pm »
I don’t think it’s just Sarri talking Hazard up as a goalscorer given what he did with Mertens at Napoli. Mertens had never played up top before and was always more of a wide forward but when Higuain left for Napoli, Sarri concerted him (very effectively) to a number nine.

He quite possibly sees a similar trajectory for Hazard.

For that Hazard has to play through the middle, and then only have to play Willian and Pedro wide. They'd be thin out wide if he does that here and in a Europa year, they'd get a burnout. I don't think he can do like for like straight away what he did at Napoli. Also, he converted Mertens to a forward through the middle only in his second season. It'll take take time here.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: September 30, 2018, 02:43:32 pm »
A draw is a disappointment considering how on top we were for the majority of the game but like in the Cup our attacking play let us down - Daniel's goal aside. We're just not quite as crisp as we would like to be. I'm sure we'll get there though, for the key parts of the season.

Chelsea have looked sharper to me in these last 2 games than they have previously in the season. I'm still not convinced they'll maintain a challenge, I think there are a lot of egos there that Sarri hasn't had to worry about yet.

But back to us, we're more important, we have another exciting week coming up, and I feel confident we will continue to improve game by game. The players definitely want it, supporting each other and not giving up when things go against us. Let's keep on going and see where this season leads us.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #622 on: September 30, 2018, 02:46:50 pm »
https://betweentheposts.net/chelsea-liverpool-1-1-sturridges-wonder-strike-fitting-end-to-very-enjoyable-premier-league/

Nice analysis of the game backed by visualized stats. Would recommend to anyone whos into stats and numbers.

They had 3 big chances  xg-wise: one beeing the goal which was really good from them, the second the one on one with Allison which resulted from their questionable freekick  where we weren't ready (dont really count this one ). The last one happend after our goal but cant remember any big chance they had after our goal (so dont count that either). In comparison we had a lot of great situations and then after all scored with the chance which had the lowest xg-value. One point is the absolut minimun we deserved  from this game. Could easily have been 3.

There wont be a lot of teams coming to Stamford bridge and dominating posession this year but we did it and also did it without being at our best. shows how god we are. From the article above: "Even though Liverpool did not win this game, from a process point of view, they put in another strong performance in a top game."

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #623 on: September 30, 2018, 03:22:21 pm »
well done to all involved, but should have took all 3 points but lots of positives and that  will do wonder for confidence despite dropping 2 points.  Big  game next week and if we can get 3 points there then we are right amongst it having  played  3/6 of probably the hardest games we will play this season. Great steel , resilinece, guile, fight, passion, determination been showed so far by all, very encouraging. Come on Red men
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #624 on: September 30, 2018, 03:36:01 pm »
For that Hazard has to play through the middle, and then only have to play Willian and Pedro wide. They'd be thin out wide if he does that here and in a Europa year, they'd get a burnout. I don't think he can do like for like straight away what he did at Napoli. Also, he converted Mertens to a forward through the middle only in his second season. It'll take take time here.

Oh for sure. He clearly isn’t going to play Hazard as a conventional number 9 just yet but given what he did with Mertens, it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s what he sees as the long term goal. If Hazard is still there long term, of course - his arse is still very much in the air for Madrid.

Anyway, reckon I’ve watched that Studge goal about thirty times today. When he gets the ball and shapes to shoot I still go “oh you knobhe-“ in me head - haven’t got a clue how he pulled it off. Incredible strike.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #625 on: September 30, 2018, 03:38:55 pm »

Kinda sums it up for me (although I saw the game). The fact that I'm still thinking about the match shows what a great game of football it actually was. Like you, I said in my post after the game that up to Daniel's strike I didn't feel like we would get anything from the game (which would have been a travesty). For me, it wasn't the fact that we came back to earn our just rewards (at least a point) but the manner in which it happened. It definitely felt like a win.

Someone else posted that if you reverse the timing of the two goals (i.e. we score first), we, (and a LOT more importantly the team) would be feeling very differently about the game and result. As it stands, we go again. Momentum. Confidence, blah blah blah. Didn't Jurgen mention something about the team dancing when The Studge entered the dressing room?

Sometimes, a point is not just a point. Win the next two and absolutely, a "really strong place" indeed.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #626 on: September 30, 2018, 03:43:16 pm »
That was really impressive from us last night. Said on here that it was going to be a much harder game than people thought - Chelsea are a good side and they have possibly the most in-form player in the League in their side at the moment and we know from last season how that can work out.

They passed it quite well around our press, it felt like we couldn't win the ball high enough up the pitch - it was a lot of building from the back, through the middle and hitting the fullbacks but with that, came a lot of possession and certainly in the second half, a sense of dominance. It was massive to not let them get the second goal given how the game was panning out but it felt like we were in control and probing and creating chances, just not able to take them.

Watched the game in a busy pub so didn't quite get the feel for it but felt Gini had a brilliant game but Milner and Henderson didn't have their normal games - Kovacic and Jorginho were able to pass the ball around quite freely, it felt and it came to the defence to stop Chelsea attacks.

I don't know when to be worried about the front 3 of feel slightly smug that we are where we are without them having left first gear. I am not too worried about Salah - he is still dangerous, still creating, his touch is still there and he is still able to breeze past people. Just the finishing letting him down at the moment. Delighted for Sturridge too - he deserves that moment.

It just all feels a bit different with this team. A bit more serious. Like already there is something on the line and we are fighting for it. I don't fear a collapse or one of those mad end-to-end games that we get sucked into and end up drawing or losing from a winning position anymore. There is just a maturity and self recognition that we are too good for that now. If the hunger is there then we are flying - we are in this for the duration if so. And I think it is there.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #627 on: September 30, 2018, 03:51:31 pm »
Very much looking forward to a run of Europa league games to take the wind out of Chelsea's sails. That combined with our front three getting up to speed and our midfield starting to pop a few in (probably mainly Keita & the Cube) should see them off contention. Man City not having to face many hard games between now and 12th of December when they play these.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: September 30, 2018, 04:08:39 pm »
We are not as "heavy metal" as we used to be when Klopp came. Now it seems we are a bit more "calculated"? "cool"? It seems like we are slowly cranking up the pressure and this time we have the players to call up from the bench to make something special happen. This is the second time we summoned a player from the bench to get that much needed goal at the end of the game.

Wonder what happens if we really ramp it up to that "heavy metal" style of football that can blow teams away in 20 minutes?

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #629 on: September 30, 2018, 04:12:42 pm »
Very much looking forward to a run of Europa league games to take the wind out of Chelsea's sails. That combined with our front three getting up to speed and our midfield starting to pop a few in (probably mainly Keita & the Cube) should see them off contention. Man City not having to face many hard games between now and 12th of December when they play these.

Just had a look at City's fixtures and they aren't as easy as they have had it so far.

LFC (A)
Burnley (H)
Spurs (A)
Southampton (H)
United (H)
West Ham (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Watford (A)
Chelsea (A)

Their away fixtures look a little bit tougher than many would have thought at the start of the season. If we take points off them, our next 8 aren't as difficult IMO.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: September 30, 2018, 04:16:48 pm »
Just had a look at City's fixtures and they aren't as easy as they have had it so far.

LFC (A)
Burnley (H)
Spurs (A)
Southampton (H)
United (H)
West Ham (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Watford (A)
Chelsea (A)

Their away fixtures look a little bit tougher than many would have thought at the start of the season. If we take points off them, our next 8 aren't as difficult IMO.

We had the toughest start.

Is seems like almost every weekend one of the other challengers is playing Cardiff and Huddersfield to the point where I was thinking just give them the 3 points, and its not helped by the fact that these teams cannot score  and Man City also have their goal differential inflated by that 6-0 drubbing. Now its about time we get the "easier" fixtures.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: September 30, 2018, 04:17:56 pm »
The key is to treat every game the same. Get maximum points.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: September 30, 2018, 04:41:31 pm »
For those that remember the brilliance that was RoyHendos 'Level 3' thread. I think we've hit it. Able to control, dominate, counter, dig in. Just have everything we need to be a title winning team.

Unfortunately for us, we've achieved this at exactly the same time as an unrelenting City side and a very good Chelsea team.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #633 on: September 30, 2018, 04:57:09 pm »
Unfortunately for us, we've achieved this at exactly the same time as an unrelenting City side and a very good Chelsea team.

If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. I am hoping it is exactly this factor that helps give us the drive needed to mount a proper title challenge.  To beat a record-breaking City squad would be a hell of an achievement.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: September 30, 2018, 05:04:06 pm »
This matche tell the importance of sub, which is what we lacked from last season.
Believer

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: September 30, 2018, 05:04:08 pm »
absolutely delighted for Sturridge.  was always a favourite of mine and longed for him to get back to his best and show this type of quality. what a goal. it was absolutely beautiful they way he struck it. It was great to finish with a draw as it wasnt looking likely but this is what all the great sides had. Players that could come in and break hearts at the end. Sturridge will be so important for us this season. him and shaqiri give us something different and he will start a fair share of games as well if he can stay fit.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: September 30, 2018, 05:21:41 pm »
If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. I am hoping it is exactly this factor that helps give us the drive needed to mount a proper title challenge.  To beat a record-breaking City squad would be a hell of an achievement.

Absolutely. It's somewhat frustrating though that we've finally assembled a complete team and excellent squad, for the first time in about 30 years I'd say, at exactly the same moment as a team exists that's capable of 100 point league seasons.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #637 on: September 30, 2018, 05:22:02 pm »
For those that remember the brilliance that was RoyHendos 'Level 3' thread. I think we've hit it. Able to control, dominate, counter, dig in. Just have everything we need to be a title winning team.

I don't think it's unfortunate at all. Maybe in terms of having an easy league win like some of Ferguson's sides did in the mid and late 90s or like what Leicester did (the competition wasn't as high despite what they achieved). But in terms of being a great footballing side, this is the sort of competition that can push us to be better and better and keep us on our toes.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #638 on: September 30, 2018, 05:23:03 pm »
Absolutely. It's somewhat frustrating though that we've finally assembled a complete team and excellent squad, for the first time in about 30 years I'd say, at exactly the same moment as a team exists that's capable of 100 point league seasons.

The key is to show that we're also capable of it.

Offline canadianscraggledog

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
60% of the time, it works all the time