Author Topic: New laptop advice  (Read 169560 times)

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
Re: New laptop advice
« Reply #520 on: April 3, 2014, 10:24:37 pm »
Thanks very much for the answer!

The SDD seems indeed quite cheap on Amazon, though I'm quite clueless about these things! Basically, I'll buy it and install in my laptop replacing the HDD, that from there on could be just left as an external driver to store things I don't use that often?

Yes, you can use the HDD in an external case as additional storage.

Some SDDs come with a transfer kit that basically mirrors the data you have in your old HDD (including the OS, if I remember correctly, otherwise you need to reinstall the OS in the SDD).
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #521 on: April 3, 2014, 10:49:17 pm »
I'm after a new lap top for work. Linking to my office via a VPN connection, storing loads of data & just the general office type of stuff. It may sound stupid but I'm after something with flat keys as I find it easier to type quicker with them.

I have no limit to my budget but would prefer something for around 500-750.

I have had a Sony Vaio for about 4 years and it's been an outstanding lap top but the amount if data on it now has gone through the roof and it's slowing down.

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #522 on: April 10, 2014, 09:58:34 pm »
Can anyone give me advice on Lenovo laptaps? Are they decent in general? Much appreciated

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #523 on: April 15, 2014, 03:50:56 pm »
Fuck it. Went all in and bought a MacBook Pro.

It's beautiful.  ;D
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: April 15, 2014, 04:12:19 pm »
Can anyone give me advice on Lenovo laptaps? Are they decent in general? Much appreciated

They offer good bang for the buck, in my experience. Just don't expect them to be perfect or anything close to that.
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #525 on: April 15, 2014, 06:14:25 pm »
They offer good bang for the buck, in my experience. Just don't expect them to be perfect or anything close to that.

Thanks, have my eye on one for a while. Previously had a COMPAQ and a HP, which were both solid but  after 2 years they seem to pack it in

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #526 on: April 15, 2014, 06:35:51 pm »
Looking at the yoga pro 2....want something that's thin with a good screen
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: April 29, 2014, 09:15:29 pm »
Anyone know where I can get a laptop protective sheet from but one that'll also darken the screen a bit? Get too many headaches when on laptop at night even on lowest brightness

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #528 on: April 30, 2014, 02:18:10 pm »
Anyone know where I can get a laptop protective sheet from but one that'll also darken the screen a bit? Get too many headaches when on laptop at night even on lowest brightness

Try a software solution:
https://justgetflux.com/

Or a privacy filter may (at a price) do the job.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Privacy-Filter-Widescreen-PF15-6W/dp/B002IE4TVW

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: April 30, 2014, 02:27:23 pm »

How about a pair of computer glasses.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Chronic

• Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be heroes.
« Reply #530 on: May 1, 2014, 11:18:22 pm »

Need a new laptop for browsing the net and playing the odd game of fm etc, it has to be from Littlewoods as i have store credit there.

Which is the best option for under 4 ton ?

I'm thinking this maybe simply due to the 6gb RAM ?

http://www.littlewoods.com/lenovo-g500-intelreg-coretrade-i3-processor-6gb-ram-1tb-hard-drive-wi-fi-156-inch-laptop-black/1354381268.prd

Here's the rest

http://www.littlewoods.com/electricals/laptops/e/b/1225,4873.end?sort=highestrated,0

Loves getting pissed and shagging brasses

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: May 4, 2014, 01:36:59 pm »
Looking for a laptop for the in-laws; just needed for email, net surfing and basic home Office stuff. Budget is £250.

Any recommendations?

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: May 4, 2014, 03:17:51 pm »
Looking for a laptop for the in-laws; just needed for email, net surfing and basic home Office stuff. Budget is £250.

Any recommendations?

Does screen size matter for them? I see a couple of ASUS models on Amazon.co.uk, but they are have 10-inch screens.

Also, can they go to £300? There are more options at that range.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: May 4, 2014, 04:06:33 pm »
Screen size is fairly important. Went for a Lenovo G505 (15" screen, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD and AMD E-series CPU) for £259 from Tescos. Should be more than enough for their needs.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #534 on: May 4, 2014, 04:14:56 pm »
I'll tell you what lads, I just bought a new laptop and am using Windows 8 for the first time. It is a donkey's c*nt. I can't advise much about the hardware, but give this pile of shit latest Windows a wide swerve. It seems that they built the whole fucking thing for touch screens, where you can swipe to open a fucking menu (which I am doing accidentally with my touch pad constantly), ignoring the fact that most people don't have touch screens on their home machines/laptops yet - it is at least a generation too soon. If they wanted to slurp the cocks of tablet users, they should have just developed a tablet-specific operating system.

Sorry for the unmitigated rage and bad language, but fuck's sake, it is really terrible. Carry on.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: May 4, 2014, 05:32:04 pm »
I'll tell you what lads, I just bought a new laptop and am using Windows 8 for the first time. It is a donkey's c*nt. I can't advise much about the hardware, but give this pile of shit latest Windows a wide swerve. It seems that they built the whole fucking thing for touch screens, where you can swipe to open a fucking menu (which I am doing accidentally with my touch pad constantly), ignoring the fact that most people don't have touch screens on their home machines/laptops yet - it is at least a generation too soon. If they wanted to slurp the cocks of tablet users, they should have just developed a tablet-specific operating system.

Sorry for the unmitigated rage and bad language, but fuck's sake, it is really terrible. Carry on.
Don't use windows 8 but as far as I know you can change it to the old style if you don't want the poxy tablet look.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: May 4, 2014, 05:46:24 pm »

The upcoming update to Windows addresses a lot of the problems. Seems someone finally figured out most people are using the system without touch screens...  :butt

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #537 on: August 5, 2014, 01:21:43 am »
Managed to smash the screen on my Asus which has served me well. Not under warranty anymore and fancy a new machine anyway.

For general web browsing, (multi tabs open) storing and playing audio and video files, (streaming videos etc) photos and other general kind of stuff what should I be looking for in terms of spec?

I need decent storage but in terms of processors and Ram and the like, not really up to speed on the latest.

Quite like the look of this as Toshiba served me well before...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1478710.htm

Decent screen size, 1 TB of storage etc.

That's about all I'd like to budget right now. Thoughts??
« Last Edit: August 5, 2014, 01:25:08 am by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: August 23, 2014, 10:02:13 pm »
What do people make of this? Don't really need it for much. Just browsing, Netflix and streaming the odd game. Nothing else really. 350 euro for it.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=259

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: August 24, 2014, 01:02:30 am »
What do people make of this? Don't really need it for much. Just browsing, Netflix and streaming the odd game. Nothing else really. 350 euro for it.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=259

It's an Atom processor, not a Core one. Don't expect playing any games except very old ones. I have no idea how well would it play Netflix.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #540 on: August 24, 2014, 05:04:18 pm »
Can't see any issues with Netflix on that.

I got the missus a Chromebook last year for £220.  She only uses it for browsing the web and watching Netflix and it works fine, cheap as chips, very fast start-up (has an SSD and a very basic OS - it goes from Off to the desktop in 7 seconds).

Not for games though, it both lacks the grunt and doesn't use Windows.

Offline WAQS

• LYRIQAL
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #541 on: August 24, 2014, 08:41:24 pm »
Picked up an acer e5-571 from Argos for £340.

1.7ghz i5 which can run at 2.7ghz. 4gb ram and 1TB hard drive with windows 8.1

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: August 25, 2014, 12:40:57 am »
Managed to smash the screen on my Asus which has served me well. Not under warranty anymore and fancy a new machine anyway.

For general web browsing, (multi tabs open) storing and playing audio and video files, (streaming videos etc) photos and other general kind of stuff what should I be looking for in terms of spec?

I need decent storage but in terms of processors and Ram and the like, not really up to speed on the latest.

Quite like the look of this as Toshiba served me well before...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1478710.htm

Decent screen size, 1 TB of storage etc.

That's about all I'd like to budget right now. Thoughts??
Just seen this, would you not consider replacing the screen?  It'd be much more cost-effective than replacing your system if there's nothing wrong with the rest of it.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: August 26, 2014, 07:34:22 pm »
Got a HP Laptop yesterday, Intel Core i3, 8GB RAM, 1TB, 15.6 - £379.

Does everything I require and really fast (plus it's red ;)) - not really too sure how to use Windows 8 so just sticking to the old style desktop for now!
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: August 27, 2014, 01:18:24 pm »
Got a HP Laptop yesterday, Intel Core i3, 8GB RAM, 1TB, 15.6 - £379.

Does everything I require and really fast (plus it's red ;)) - not really too sure how to use Windows 8 so just sticking to the old style desktop for now!

You can upgrade it for free to Windows 8.1 (don't install all the updates in one go, though: do it manually and in batches, or it will fail and you'll have to do it all over again).

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: August 30, 2014, 11:45:29 pm »
I think Ashbourne Red meant watching our matches when he said 'games' as opposed to playing them.

Here is a very recent review of the best 25 cheap laptops on the UK market. Might be useful:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/laptop/3214583/25-best-budget-laptops-of-2014/

Thanks for all the responses guys. Will have a look at that list on the link above. And ye, I meant Liverpool matches. Thanks again.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: October 9, 2014, 02:23:33 pm »
Anyone own a netbook? Thinking of buying an Acer Aspire One just for internet and Youtube but heard they can be painfully slow?
« Last Edit: October 9, 2014, 03:51:22 pm by Ali Bomaye »

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: October 11, 2014, 09:53:24 pm »
Anyone own a netbook? Thinking of buying an Acer Aspire One just for internet and Youtube but heard they can be painfully slow?

If all your looking for is internet and youtube then go for a tablet.  Tesco Hudl 2 is only £129 and will be more than sufficient. 
"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: October 27, 2014, 11:24:31 am »
Got an iPad, just can't get used to it. Prefer laptops to be honest. Sold that aswell so back in the market for a laptop, any suggestions? Budget is £350, need something quick and fairly thin and light aswell. HP laptops are good but far too heavy.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: October 27, 2014, 12:17:36 pm »
Immediate thought was a Macbook Air, you might be able to get one for £350. If you're not bothered about storage then a chromebook might be a good option.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: October 27, 2014, 12:20:50 pm »
Looking for a laptop on behalf of the mother, im on a macbook myself so dont really have a clue where the best value laptops are at the minute.

She's just looking for one to use for netflix, music and browse the internet really and has a budget of £200. Anyone know of any websites where i can get a half decent one for that amount?
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: October 28, 2014, 11:46:15 am »
Why not just attach a keyboard thingy to the iPad?

She's not too keen on touch screen and iphones/ipads. Likes to just get it going through the TV through a HDMI aswell.

Been looking on PC World and found a few basic ones for around £220, might just end up popping down there.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Zend...en the clowns

• Legacy Fan
  • Likes BBQ sauce a bit too much..
« Reply #552 on: October 29, 2014, 07:51:54 pm »
Just managed to get an apple PowerBook g4 off eBay for 70 quid.

Looks in very good condition and only intend to use it for business, word, excel etc.

Decent bargain? Are they still worthwhile machines now?
He posts in the day, he posts in the niiiiiiggghht,
That Zend...en the clowns, his timings just right.

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: November 11, 2014, 11:32:38 pm »
I'm looking for a new laptop for work and have whittled it down to 3 - it needs to be portable and powerful to deal with large macro and data table laden spreadsheets and have a decent batteries:

HP ZBook 14
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon
Apple MacBook Air

I'm assuming an i7 processor and 8GB ram and preferably an SSD with 256GB - budget is c£1,500

So just wondering if any of you guys have experience of any of these laptops?

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: November 12, 2014, 12:04:39 am »
I'm looking for a new laptop for work and have whittled it down to 3 - it needs to be portable and powerful to deal with large macro and data table laden spreadsheets and have a decent batteries:

HP ZBook 14
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon
Apple MacBook Air

I'm assuming an i7 processor and 8GB ram and preferably an SSD with 256GB - budget is c£1,500

So just wondering if any of you guys have experience of any of these laptops?

We use the HP ZBook 14 at work for CAD, 3D modelling loaded with 16GB RAM and an SSD.  Not an ultra portable and It's quite heavy if you have to carry it round all day. Battery life won't be as good as the other two.

Can't comment on the Lenovo but it is an ultra portable and should be able to handle your spreadsheets.

The MacBook Air is great machine but you cannot upgrade the RAM later.  The processor is an i5 with no option to upgrade to an i7. The base model comes with 4GB of RAM which you can upgrade to 8GB at the time of purchase as a built to order option.  You should be able to upgrade the SSD later but there aren't any upgrades available for the 2014 model at the moment. You should get 8-9 hours out of the battery.

You mention that you will be using large macro's in spreadsheets which I assume will be excel?  The Mac version of Excel (2011) includes VBA6, and macros generally work well. However, as has been the case ever since VBA was added to Office, there are differences between Mac and Windows versions, among them:

WinXL allows ActiveX controls (buttons, etc). ActiveX is currently a Windows-only technology. For compatibility, only Forms controls ("Legacy controls" in XL2007/2010) should be used.
Code that references Windows system routines obviously won't work on Macs
Code that uses the VBA MacScript command will work on Macs, but not in Windows
A very few commands have different syntax (e.g., the GetOpenFileName()'s FileFilter argument)
Code that refers to Win-only features (e.g., PivotCharts) obviously don't work on Macs.
Macs allow only one instance of a running application, so using CreateObject() to start an instance of an application may fail if the application is already running.

Might be an idea to test them on a Mac running Excel 2011 before committing. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:06:50 am by Swissgaz »
"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: November 12, 2014, 07:23:42 am »
Thanks Gaz that's really helpful - I didn't realise that about the MacBook so yes that would be an issue as I do use excel a lot so I guess it's down to 2!

The reviews all out the ZBook and the MacBook top with the X1 coming in a bit behind on performance - portability is slightly less of an issue in my new job. My old job required lots of financial modelling whilst sat on a train to London or diving in and out of coffee shops in London and even in taxis whilst running late to meetings! So the Lenovos were great because you could drop them and spill coffee over them etc and they didn't care. New job has much less travel and is much less demanding but still some portability required. Having said that the weight is not such an issue and I've just bought a new Swiss Gear backpack which really is the best work bag I've ever had and is pretty comfortable whatever is in it - which is currently a heavy and sluggish HP ProBook which is complaining at me a lot at the minute as I ask it to do the impossible!

I think the screens is better on the ZBook and I do use it as my second screen for email etc so that's also a consideration.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:27:38 am by weebroalan »

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: November 12, 2014, 07:58:13 pm »
Remember that you can always run straight up Windows or just Windows apps (like the Excel version of it) on a Mac. It's a breeze, and I think the other benefits of the mac make it an easy decision.
Thanks mate - Someone did mention that and that's definitely a good option but I'm not sure our IT department would be happy. They are HP through and through and were a bit shocked when I suggested I might prefer a Lenovo or Apple!

They did get me quotes for them all today and I've done a bit more reading reviews etc - there's not a lot in it between the MacBook and the ZBook from what I can see and I don't need an amazing screen because I'm only doing s/sheet work rather than graphics so I think I'll go for the ZBook because I can see our IT guys cocking up the Apple Windows thing. If there was a huge difference to the ZBook then it would be worth the hassle but probably not in this case.

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #557 on: November 25, 2014, 09:41:18 am »
Quick couple of Q's please....I think I need to be in the market for a new laptop, but I'm really happy using Windows 7 and a bit fearful of Windows 8. Are there any new laptops out there with Windows 7 still or would they all be Windows 8 now? Am I stupid to continue looking at Windows 7 or should I just bite the bullet and move on? Could I get a custom build with Windows 7 and would that be worth it?

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: November 25, 2014, 01:45:14 pm »
Quick couple of Q's please....I think I need to be in the market for a new laptop, but I'm really happy using Windows 7 and a bit fearful of Windows 8. Are there any new laptops out there with Windows 7 still or would they all be Windows 8 now? Am I stupid to continue looking at Windows 7 or should I just bite the bullet and move on? Could I get a custom build with Windows 7 and would that be worth it?
I am after a new laptop and been looking at PC world and you can buy win7 machines no problem, not sure if win8 is the way to go as never really used it but I do know they are apps/programs that can help win8 users.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: November 25, 2014, 09:02:00 pm »
New laptop arrived today and it really is fantastic - ZBook 14, i7 4600, 250GB SSD, 8GB ram

The screen is really good quality and looks great even in natural light and the processing speed is something else compared to the old machine - no more having to F9 in Excel!