Author Topic: South American Football. Leagues, Copa Libertadores etc.  (Read 132807 times)

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
South American Football. Leagues, Copa Libertadores etc.
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:05:20 pm »
Thought I'd start a thread on this as it's getting to a really interesting stage in the season.

In Argentina theres going to be a great end as 6 teams go for the Clausura title with two games left.

1    Boca Juniors    33    
2    CA Tigre    32       
3    Arsenal Sarandi 32      
4    Newell's Old Boys 31    
5    Vélez Sársfield    30          
6    All Boys    30

In the second division the 2 big boys are 1st and 2nd. River Plate top though Rosario have a game in hand. Trezeguet scoring goals for River and Championship Manager legend Fernando Cavenaghi contributing too, managed by Matias Almeyda.

A Boca v River Cup final was so close but River lost on pens to Racing.

In Uruguay the giants Nacional will play off with Defensor Sporting, Nacional won the Apertura, Defensor the Clausura. An epic Derby between Nacional and Penarol recently was settled by Alvaro Recoba! Nacional are managed by the crazy former Argentina player Marcelo Gallardo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBFz6AV8IOo

The Brazilian league has just started after a load of State Championship stuff. Vasco the early leaders led by this old genius still doing his thing. Last night :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXMSpMWm4o4

Atletico Mineiro in second with City reject Jo scoring a couple, they recently signed Ronaldinho aswell. Luis Fabiano getting a few goals for Sao Paulo and Vagner Love has scored in all 4 league games so far. Corinthians and Santos have started woefully but their priorities are elsewhere.

ESPN in the UK have started showing live games on weekends which is immense and theyve been goal crazy so far.

Brazilian Cup semis are Sao Paulo v Coritiba, Palmeiras v Gremio, winner gets a Copa Libertadores place. Could have a great derby in the final with Sao Paulo and Palmeiras.

Copa Libertadores is at the semi final stage, theres an amazing derby in midweek with Santos meeting Corinthians in the first leg and Boca Juniors playing the exciting Univ De Chile in the other semi. Something great is bound to happen, Santos want to retain it, Boca are going for a treble, the massive Corinthians have somehow never won it and Univ De Chile are going for the South American double as they already hold the Copa Sudamericana.

Offline Hyypia headers

• Am I a Real Liverpool Fan...
  • Kopite
  • Impossible?
Re: South American Football. Leagues, Copa Libertadores etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:41:03 pm »
Used to watch a few Boca games each season, not sure why I stopped doing that. I still keep an eye out for them from time to time though, would love to see them win the Copa Libertadores again.

I like South American football. Most people think its full of big girls diving around, but I think it is alot harder/ dirtier than European football. I' ve seen alot of yellow cards in Argentina that would be a straight red in Europe.
Let me tell you about the times when tackling was allowed

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:29:31 pm »
Me too, it's boss. You've got Brazil which seems to go goal crazy at times then Argentina with the incredible atmospheres and physical games. I love it, wish it got more coverage here, the Argie derbies would be a huge hit.

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 11:36:13 am »
Lucas Moura wins the first leg of the cup semi for Sao Paulo in the 89th minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBl4EoB3T2E

Palmeiras won 2-0 away so an awesome derby in the final is looking on.

In the Libertadores Corinthians got a great win away to Santos. A special goal won it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPY3tkpXVNk&feature=related

Boca won their first leg 2-0 in an astonishing atmosphere :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qe4fZ2tiE0&feature=player_embedded

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 10:54:02 pm »

In Uruguay the giants Nacional will play off with Defensor Sporting, Nacional won the Apertura, Defensor the Clausura.

And Alvaro Recoba wins it for Nacional!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTm2vg_hvCc

Offline Rigden

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 01:11:09 am »
In Chile at the moment and I took in the Boca Juniors - Universidad de Chile game the other night (Copa Libertadores, Boca won 2-0). I was amazed by the fans and the atmosphere in the Boca stadium. Likewise, I was amazed at how holding the ball, keeping possession, just seems to be a totally foreign concept here. It's purely attacking football, end to end. Not really my thing but it was fairly exciting nonetheless.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Q7W9MoEHm0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8Q7W9MoEHm0</a>
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:13:07 am by Rigden »
“Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

Offline SJL

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 02:26:44 am »
John Lennon just made his Botafogo debut in a 2-1 win over Internacional.  Imagine that (shamelessly stolen from Twitter)

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 09:46:52 pm »
Juninho has just buried another free kick. Incredible.

Offline Red Squiggle

• Legacy Fan
  • Raaaaaaaafaaaaaaa in Iiiiiiiiistanbuuuuuuuuul
    • Venus in Faux Official Webpage
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 10:33:25 pm »
Anyone ever been to a league match in Rio? Advice? Which team to aim to watch? Don't know a lot about Brazilian football but seeing as I'll be over there would definitely like to try and get to a game!

Offline Ecuared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 10:57:07 pm »
Anyone ever been to a league match in Rio? Advice? Which team to aim to watch? Don't know a lot about Brazilian football but seeing as I'll be over there would definitely like to try and get to a game!

If you can see a Fluminense vs. Flamengo that's the best game in Rio, if not go see either play. Until recently Ronaldhino played for Flamengo but he recently left. Both are good teams.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 11:18:55 pm »
Juan Sebastien Veron will play his last ever professional game for Estudiantes LP on saturday against Santa Fe. He's a legend regardless if he succeeded in England or not.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/f3vJa7TNSas" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/f3vJa7TNSas</a>

His goodbye to the home fans
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:25:37 pm by On Axis »

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 11:28:42 pm »
Amazing reception! He's carried them to some epic times since going back, it seems like now he's either injured or doubtful for every game though. Boss player.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 05:05:47 am »
I see Gabriel Milito is retiring at age 31.

He goes on to say:

"I don't feel well, either physically or mentally. I've been thinking about this since the start of the year. It isn't an easy decision because I love what I do.I'm happy to finish my career at the club where I started. I made my professional debut at the club that I wanted and I'm retiring where I want. I'm very grateful to the directors for allowing me to fulfil this dream. I'm also grateful for the fans. They have made me very happy.I think that after this decision I need a break. In the future I want to be involved with football again."

Given how many injuries he's had over the past few years I'm not surprised. Bit more surprised that he's played almost as many games for Independiente in a single year than he did for Barcelona in about four.

Offline Red Squiggle

• Legacy Fan
  • Raaaaaaaafaaaaaaa in Iiiiiiiiistanbuuuuuuuuul
    • Venus in Faux Official Webpage
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 12:47:26 pm »
If you can see a Fluminense vs. Flamengo that's the best game in Rio, if not go see either play. Until recently Ronaldhino played for Flamengo but he recently left. Both are good teams.

Nice one, can't imagine it'd be very expensive either?

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 11:13:15 am »
Corinthians knocked out Santos. Neymar put Santos ahead but Corinthians levelled on the night and went through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrWOAVaP0Ec

Immense atmosphere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBptIuYA88

Santos player mauls a ball boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijtFwzvHxaA

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 11:13:58 am »
the argentine league is getting exciting in its final phase as Tigres who could win the league this weekend can also get relegated!!
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Rigden

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 04:05:05 pm »
Universidad de Chile 0 - 0 Boca Juniors, allowing Boca to advance to the final of the Copa Libertadores on aggregate (0-2). In reality U de Chile should have been up by at least 3 with the amount of bars hit and chances created.
“Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

Offline Hyypia headers

• Am I a Real Liverpool Fan...
  • Kopite
  • Impossible?
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 05:16:22 pm »
Universidad de Chile 0 - 0 Boca Juniors, allowing Boca to advance to the final of the Copa Libertadores on aggregate (0-2). In reality U de Chile should have been up by at least 3 with the amount of bars hit and chances created.

Universidad de Liverpool you say ;). Good to see Boca in the final, hope they win it.
Let me tell you about the times when tackling was allowed

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 08:34:40 pm »
River are around 20mins from promotion. David Trezeguet puts them 1 up.

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/127729/1/watch-river-plate-vs-almirante-brown-.html

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 08:45:35 pm »
ESPN tend to show the Brazilian games here in the UK.  tonight at 1030pm they have Vasco da Gama v Cruzeiro live.  First against second in the league.

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 08:56:29 pm »
Trezeguet gets another and they've won the league. Great scenes, Almeyda in tears.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 12:01:44 am »
Good game on espn.  Vasco 2-1 down at home.  20mins to go.  2nd goal was a corker like.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 01:31:14 pm »
what happened in the argie league between Tigre and Boca, did Tigre win the league and get relegated?

edit: looks like arsenal won it leapfrogging tigre and boca, tigre stayed up
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:39:05 pm by scatman »
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 01:39:31 pm »
Little Arsenal won it, Tigre didnt go down. Boca had an outside shot but played reserves ahead of the CL final in the week and lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKqyK3-ESWo

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 10:45:03 am »
Boca - Corinthians tonight. CL Final 1st leg. 1.50am or more like 2am knowing the Argies. Will be one of the most incredible atmospheres you'll ever see.

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 11:17:13 am »
Boca - Corinthians tonight. CL Final 1st leg. 1.50am or more like 2am knowing the Argies. Will be one of the most incredible atmospheres you'll ever see.
Fernando duarte saying Boca forced Corinthians to train in La Bombera under darkness :D

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan

Offline heatseeker

• Kopite
  • Step by step...
There's no place on this planet, quite like Merseyside - Jegsy Dodd

Offline Jacob Ian

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: July 5, 2012, 02:01:45 am »
1-1 after the first leg. this should be a great final.

Offline Jacob Ian

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: July 5, 2012, 02:24:57 am »
cracking game so far - really wide open with each side holding nothing back - and of course incredible atmosphere as you would expect

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #30 on: July 5, 2012, 02:29:56 am »
Is it just me or is there steady stream of fouls in this game, play abit staggered really an no proper chances on goal but quick pace.

Plus players rolling around whenever they hit the deck, potential to be good match but just hasn't got going yet.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2012, 02:39:02 am by frag »

Offline Outer Mongolian Red

• Rafa ran over my dog. Then shot it. Fact
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 5, 2012, 02:45:24 am »
0-0 HT,pretty dull stuff.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #32 on: July 5, 2012, 02:47:33 am »
This game needs a goal quickly, whenever I watch Boca they always seem so boring. Really hope this livens up, right now with only 1 shot on goal it's abit dire. If it stays like this what happens?

Offline Outer Mongolian Red

• Rafa ran over my dog. Then shot it. Fact
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 5, 2012, 02:50:31 am »
This game needs a goal quickly, whenever I watch Boca they always seem so boring. Really hope this livens up, right now with only 1 shot on goal it's abit dire. If it stays like this what happens?
Extra time,away goals rule not in force.

Offline Jacob Ian

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: July 5, 2012, 02:52:06 am »
Is it just me or is there steady stream of fouls in this game, play abit staggered really an no proper chances on goal but quick pace.

Plus players rolling around whenever they hit the deck, potential to be good match but just hasn't got going yet.

It looked to me the ref was letting quite a bit go and easily could be calling it tighter. Boca unlucky in having to replace their GK.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #35 on: July 5, 2012, 02:52:52 am »
Extra time,away goals rule not in force.

Extra times looks like the likely outcome after that half to be honest Corinthians goal early would liven this up, bring Boca out more.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #36 on: July 5, 2012, 03:13:00 am »
Damn this is a stop start game, if someone could trouble from a set piece they'd be in business here. 

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 5, 2012, 03:14:08 am »
Guys. Watch Fernando Lucas from Gremio. He's going to be quite the player.  :wave
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #38 on: July 5, 2012, 03:14:08 am »
1-0 Corinthians, came from a set piece haha

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #39 on: July 5, 2012, 03:18:07 am »
The place has went mental since the goal
YNWA