Author Topic: Rocket Ronny Rosenthal  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Red Sky at Night

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Rocket Ronny Rosenthal
« on: January 26, 2021, 06:54:35 pm »
I've not seen a thread for Rocket Ronny Rosenthal, so here goes....

What a player in the 89/90 season - my favourite memory was being at Selhurst for the 11th April 1990 4-0 win versus Charlton.

Ronny got a perfect hat rick - right foot, left foot, header...

I seem to remember the only negative that night was pretty much 90 mins of heavy rain soaking us in that open away stand  ;D

He was instrumental in that league win in 1990.

Yes he missed a howler in 82/93 vs Villa, but he'll always be a Liverpool hero to me.

Thanks for the memories Ronny

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:04:00 am by Red Sky at Night »
‘It’s one of the finest exhibitions of football I’ve ever seen in my life… I’ve seen Brazilians play but I’ve never seen the game played at that pace or executed like that.’ - Sir Tom Finney after Liverpool thrashed Nottingham Forest 5-0 in 1988

Offline Teacher

• Pair Ant Even Ink
  • Main Stander
Re: Rocky Ronny Rosenthal
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 11:24:52 pm »
I remember that 4-0 game. Wasn`t it just a few days after the dreadful semi v Palace?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 12:57:46 am »
I always liked Ronny.

My overriding memories of him were him scoring the winner against the Blueshite in the Anfield derby of 1993. The Bitters thought they were on the verge of a 0-0 win, when up pops Ronny in the 90th minute to slot home in front of the Kop and break bitter blue hearts.  8)

Another memory being one of the greatest open-goal misses of all time at Villa park.  :duh

My third memory being seeing him from the away end at Coventry in 1990 when he scored two goals in a 1-6 win. The day we lifted the title too.  :champ
After the final whistle a Liverpool fan ran onto the pitch, grabbed Ronny's shirt and ripped it right off, over his head, then scarpered with it.  :o

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Uz-BMm2J6G8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Uz-BMm2J6G8</a>
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 01:00:02 am by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 08:53:17 am »
I wrote something on him quite a few years back. I never did get round to Part 2!

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=293261.msg10294442#msg10294442

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Re: Rocket Ronny Rosenthal
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 12:57:37 pm »
That miss at Villa Park, can't forget that, but I do forget the result! Was it costly?

Anyway, played a great little part in our history, and such a likeable fella too!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
Re: Rocket Ronny Rosenthal
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 03:15:35 pm »
That miss at Villa Park, can't forget that, but I do forget the result! Was it costly?

Anyway, played a great little part in our history, and such a likeable fella too!
I think from memory it was. I think it came at 2-2 and they went onto win 4-2.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Red Sky at Night

• Main Stander
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 04:27:45 pm »
I remember that 4-0 game. Wasn`t it just a few days after the dreadful semi v Palace?

Indeed - the game was 11th April and we lost to Palace 4-3 on the 8th (what an awful game that was! similar in a way to the FA cup vs Everton the year after, which preceded Kenny's resignation)
‘It’s one of the finest exhibitions of football I’ve ever seen in my life… I’ve seen Brazilians play but I’ve never seen the game played at that pace or executed like that.’ - Sir Tom Finney after Liverpool thrashed Nottingham Forest 5-0 in 1988

Offline Red Sky at Night

• Main Stander
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 04:31:05 pm »
I always liked Ronny.

My overriding memories of him were him scoring the winner against the Blueshite in the Anfield derby of 1993. The Bitters thought they were on the verge of a 0-0 win, when up pops Ronny in the 90th minute to slot home in front of the Kop and break bitter blue hearts.  8)

Another memory being one of the greatest open-goal misses of all time at Villa park.  :duh

My third memory being seeing him from the away end at Coventry in 1990 when he scored two goals in a 1-6 win. The day we lifted the title too.  :champ
After the final whistle a Liverpool fan ran onto the pitch, grabbed Ronny's shirt and ripped it right off, over his head, then scarpered with it.  :o

Nice video. He did score some crackers, and not just the odd tap in.

Offline Red Sky at Night

• Main Stander
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 04:37:50 pm »
I wrote something on him quite a few years back. I never did get round to Part 2!

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=293261.msg10294442#msg10294442

Lovely write up. Fond memories indeed. I also remember him being fond of keeping his head down and powering forward. Just what we needed to get that 1990 league win over the line....

Ronny, Oh Ronny Ronny, Oh Ronny Ronny, Oh Ronny Rosenthal Hey! (and repeat :-) )