Author Topic: Nat Phillips  (Read 236406 times)

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Nat Phillips
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2020, 10:24:16 pm »
Thought he was great today and better than Gomez, who I think always has a mistake in him, just personally.

He came across as a lovely lad in the post match interview too. Says a lot of my emotional state at the moment that I almost welled up for the lad.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2020, 10:27:52 pm »
Like a bearded Tony Adams.

Grizzly Adams?

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2020, 10:29:03 pm »
He played well today and seemed to get better as the match went on.
#JFT97

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2020, 10:33:40 pm »
Kept it simple. Won the first header of the night, which set the tone for the rest of the game. Took his chance tonight.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2020, 10:34:44 pm »
He’s played well whenever called upon, particularly today against a team with some very physical players.

For him to seemingly appear surplus to requirements, yet still come in and do a solid job, is testament to how strong he must be mentally and that determination will hopefully drive a good career for the lad. May be with us or he may find success elsewhere, but can’t fault his mentality.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2020, 11:39:47 pm »
I hope he continues to grab any other opportunity in the coming few weeks. Seems like a down to earth guy, with a good temperament.

One never knows where the road leads. Mentality and opportunity are the most important things. If things align for him, he could go much farther than people so far think. Even so called "legends" like Carragher have had "chance meets determination" type events a-plenty that made them who they eventually became.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2020, 11:53:11 pm »
Could do a hell of a lot worse for a squad player. I hope he gets a few more opportunities. Need another reliable, fit CB.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #127 on: November 1, 2020, 12:07:00 am »
Made up for him. Quality performance.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #128 on: November 1, 2020, 12:31:38 am »
Played very well today.

Love that type of defender, keep it simple, but at the same time he appears to have good passing range. Well done!

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #129 on: November 1, 2020, 12:41:32 am »
It’s a really heart warming story isn’t it. Been here ages, barely featured, barely talked about but twice now he’s come in with unfamiliar players around him and been great.

Not sure I’d want him starting away at City but he’s shown he’s a useful player to have when some of the more direct sides in the League come to town.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #130 on: November 1, 2020, 12:43:01 am »
Well done to him.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #131 on: November 1, 2020, 12:57:34 am »
That display, the outcome of the match and the praise given to him by people that matter will be a massive boost for his confidence. I'm sure his dad will remind him that he is only as good as his next game but, nevertheless, we have another option at centre half, albeit the one we use to protect Matip and/or Fabinho. We have City next week and that is a different sort of challenge.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #132 on: November 1, 2020, 01:02:23 am »
Wall. Rock. Cliff-face. Mountain. Chomo-flippin-lungma

Massif performance
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: November 1, 2020, 01:27:32 am »
Matip is better defender in all aspects except for fitness. However, it is a gamble to have a fragile player starting and wasting a sub. See Lallana.

Nat has also played in Bundesliga which is a strong league and yielded a CL champion last season. He has been tested at a high level and we should trust him to do a good job.

Let’s hope like Trent, he grabbed this opportunity with both hands and made the centre back position his own.

Don’t think he played in the Bundesliga? Stuttgart were in the Bundesliga 2 when he was there weren't they?

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 1, 2020, 01:33:35 am »
Saved the club and FSG a few million quid. 
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline MdArshad

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #135 on: November 1, 2020, 03:08:15 am »
Hes gonna be the Kevin Stewart of Defenders, he will make 12 appearances this year do ok and we will sell him for 28 million quid.  ;D

Made up for him though. He did really well.

IMO hes a proptotype top half championship bottom half Prem defender. Hes got good height and air game and overall reading of the game, but not particular fast (or slow) or good (or bad) on the ball. Perfectly fine against a Haller with for example but not against Bayern in a semi-final by any means.

we are trying to be the best team in the world so he could probably be improved on even as the 5th choice emergency center back, but on the other hand he can probably do the job on many occasions if its required. For me he looks best suited to physical battle type games.

Matip is miles better

Kevin Stewart is a free agent. Might be a good moneyball signing.  :D

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #136 on: November 1, 2020, 03:15:42 am »
What a player. Shades of Bjornebye.
Tubby thinks PGMOL are awesome..

And tubby is always right

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: November 1, 2020, 04:21:57 am »
Good solid player can easily start for the majority of the midtable or relegation sides in the league.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #138 on: November 1, 2020, 04:45:30 am »
Super happy for him, hope he takes all positives and kicks on with us.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #139 on: November 1, 2020, 04:51:00 am »
Brilliant last night, really happy for him. He is perfectly fine against teams like West Ham. Not surely he will be able to cope with high pressing sides like Atalanta and City tho.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: November 1, 2020, 07:33:18 am »
During some clearances and moments on the ball, he reminded me of Carragher. The no-nonsense defending and the idea of keeping the ball away from the goal being at the fore front and heading away everything was very Carragher-esque for me.

Very un-Carragher like was him smiling every time he fouled and his general demeanour. :D
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #141 on: November 1, 2020, 08:09:22 am »
Very small sample size, obviously, but I think that people are doing him a slight disservice with the "old-school" defender shouts. There was one point sprinting back where he was keeping pace with Salah, and the fact is that you don't get to be starting for Liverpool if your default setting is hoofball. He had a couple of more astute passes and I think Klopp's point in the post-match interview was telling - he's an intelligent player. Doesn't have to be the fastest or most agile if he can position himself well, and it seems to me he can. If Matip is still out for the City game, I'm feeling a lot better with Phillips there than I would have been last week.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: November 1, 2020, 08:14:18 am »
Was he injured during pre-season when Billy K got some game time, or just recently when Rhys W played? Nobody wants to see a Liverpool team without Virg but Klopp’s given those 3 young lads all a chance - each has done well and looked to edge ahead of the others. There’s young Sepp VDB in the squad too. Letting Lovren and Hoever go without bringing in a CB looked risky, but even now we’ve lost the big man for the season, I don’t see us buying in January

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: November 1, 2020, 08:22:54 am »
Pleased for the lad.

Not sure it was as exceptional a performance as being suggested, but it was a solid 7/10 performance. And frankly, given the circumstances, I'd be happy to take that from this makeshift defence more weeks than not.

Nice confidence booster for City (if Matip and Fab are out), where you'd expect if we are to win, it will need to be an 8+/10 performance.

Edit:

Not that I'm saying that he did much wrong. I just don't feel he was troubled all too much either. Done what was asked of him.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2020, 08:24:46 am by deano2727 »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: November 1, 2020, 08:36:05 am »
Pleased for the lad.

Not sure it was as exceptional a performance as being suggested, but it was a solid 7/10 performance. And frankly, given the circumstances, I'd be happy to take that from this makeshift defence more weeks than not.

Nice confidence booster for City (if Matip and Fab are out), where you'd expect if we are to win, it will need to be an 8+/10 performance.

Edit:

Not that I'm saying that he did much wrong. I just don't feel he was troubled all too much either. Done what was asked of him.

You should become a motivational speaker.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: November 1, 2020, 08:36:55 am »
Is his first name Natalie?

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: November 1, 2020, 08:40:05 am »
You should become a motivational speaker.

;D

Again, he did well. Just not as great as you would think if you came on here and read the comments without watching the match. It might be a little harsh considering I did say he didn't do much wrong. But I stand by it.

With that said, nothing wrong with a 7/10 performance from a reserve coming in under the spotlight. Nothing at all.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #147 on: November 1, 2020, 08:42:22 am »
Well in lad! Old school meat and potatoes defender. Win the ball in the air, win the individual battle, lay the ball off to the lads who can play football or boot it away when pressed.
Perfect summation.

Exactly what we needed too.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: November 1, 2020, 08:42:52 am »
Great performance. Got his head to everything, and that included Yarmelenko's head.
:lmao

and walked away smiling

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #149 on: November 1, 2020, 08:50:24 am »
During some clearances and moments on the ball, he reminded me of Carragher. The no-nonsense defending and the idea of keeping the ball away from the goal being at the fore front and heading away everything was very Carragher-esque for me.

Very un-Carragher like was him smiling every time he fouled and his general demeanour. :D

...and not spitting at the rival fans after the game  ;D

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: November 1, 2020, 08:51:11 am »
I think that after tonight Phillips has earned the right to be considered our 4th choice central defender in the absence of Van Dijk. Phillips and Williams will get more playing time in the coming 2 months, even if Matip and Fabinho are back.
Yep. Based on what we saw yesterday theres no need to 'waste' Fabinho in defence - happy days

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #151 on: November 1, 2020, 09:03:23 am »
Is his first name Natalie?

Possibly!

More likely Nathaniel (sits on a spike).

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: November 1, 2020, 09:13:55 am »
I've seen two games of Nat Phillips playing for Liverpool and I can't see him ever being at the level to play centre back for us.

I'm really surprised he's made it as far as he has already, he was practically on the plane to the States to play college football when we gave him a contract. I assume he has an excellent attitude and that Jürgen likes him and to be fair - Stuttgart did get promoted from 2. Bundesliga with him playing a large chunk of the games (while coming back here to beat the Bluenoses ;) )

Ki-Jana Hoever's five years younger, a much-coveted graduate of the Ajax academy who made his debut for LFC at 16 and didn't look out of place, plays two positions well, has won international youth tournaments, has already scored for us and generally looks to the manner born on the pitch amongst senior players.

Of course I've barely seen them play for our first team, but I'm more than happy with my predictions that Phillips won't be a Premier League player and Hoever will.

Shut my stupid face Nat!

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #153 on: November 1, 2020, 09:26:31 am »
Safe to say we could really take advantage of him making a step up this season as his aerial ability is just what doctor ordered with VVD being out.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: November 1, 2020, 09:29:58 am »
Grizzly Adams?

He's our lumberjack and he's okay, he sleeps all night and he works all day.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #155 on: November 1, 2020, 09:58:47 am »
Anyone have a video of the header at the end ?
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: November 1, 2020, 10:58:15 am »
Yep. Based on what we saw yesterday theres no need to 'waste' Fabinho in defence - happy days

We will probably still need Fabinho there against the high pressing teams (when Matip is not available), but against the teams that love to play long balls, Phillips can do the job, like he did yesterday.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #157 on: November 1, 2020, 11:31:31 am »
Pleased for the lad.

Edit:

you know he plays a part in making himself not be troubled?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: November 1, 2020, 11:34:46 am »
Very good performance. Dependable and basic defending, maybe that’s just what we need right now!

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #159 on: November 1, 2020, 11:36:36 am »

Fabinho is certainly the better option but we lose more by not having him in midfield. It's a lot easier for the two centre backs if he's in front of them.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season