Author Topic: COVID19: reddebs's Random Acts Of Kindness & Global Good News Care Stories (*)  (Read 19833 times)

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Good lad this one - triffic bloke, absolutely triffic ;D  (only met him once but he's sound as a pound)

If anyone in the Merseyside area needs any transportation help then PM me. Be it for you or a loved one, I’ve got lots of spare time on my hands right now. If it’s help with shopping or dropping something off like medication or anything that’s needed then just let me know.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This is a good idea that other council should copy. Glasgow City Council have made all street parking everywhere in the city free, to help key workers get to work without using public transport. Haven't seen an article on it but it is listed on their Coronavirus advice page.

Parking - The current government advice is to avoid using public transport and there's a reduced service from Monday 23 March, we have suspended charging for on-street parking bays to help support key workers using their cars.  Enforcement will be prioritised to yellow lines and disabled persons' parking bays until further notice.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/coronavirus

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
Apparently Liverpool uni Engineering Dept is getting on board with trying 3D printing of ventilators. Given they use this tech with students to design and print parts for their world and UK record breaking velocipedes, (bikes to you and me) it’s a positive move.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
In Tallinn, all public transport is free for people registered as living here, as long as you buy the green travel card and tap in on buses, trams etc. Sometimes there are conductors who board, to check you've tapped in with the card or have a valid ticket, with on the spot fines for people who don't.

Now, the city has made all public transport free for anyone to use, no tickets required and there are no checks being done at all. All buses have their front doors locked - access only through side and rear doors.

Personally I'm avoiding public transport and WFH but for others this is a welcome thing.

Are any other cities doing this? News welcomed.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Not really an act of kindness but some good news.

The partner of one of the girls at work lost his job yesterday, this morning he went down to Morrison's to see about the jobs they're advertising.

He got told to wait in a queue of about 30 people, gave his details and this afternoon the phoned to offer him a job.

Starts tomorrow [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=100117958297737&id=100115751631291

PLEASE NOTE: Covid Mutual Aid is run entirely by volunteers and not medical professionals. We’re all community members and groups wanting to support  the most vulnerable with errands, information distribution and emotional comfort. For up to date medical advice you should continue to check the news and NHS website for further announcements.

PRIORITISE SAFETY: Community care is about preventing the spread of Covid-19 and providing support for the most vulnerable. Please only offer physical support if you are well enough to do so. Those who are self isolating can get involved in online or phone based organising.

What is Covid Mutual Aid UK?

Covid Mutual Aid UK is a group of volunteers supporting local community groups organising mutual aid throughout the covid-19 outbreak in the UK. We are mainly focussed on providing resources (like this guide) and connecting people to their local groups, willing volunteers and those in need.

We recognise that injustice doesn’t affect everyone equally and whilst we’re all at risk of covid-19, there are some people who are more vulnerable and need greater support from the community. These include people more physically vulnerable.

The basic idea is to coordinate care efforts for people who are self isolating, especially if they are part of a more at risk demographic including the eledery, disabled and people with other pre existing health issues.

We’re also trying to offer support to those people who are feeling most isolated/anxious throughout the pandemic. For people with mental health conditions this scale of panic can be overwhelming and so community support is vital.
nerable from the virus such as the elderly, those with pre-existing health issues and those without stable housing as well as those more emotionally vulnerable such as people self isolating without support and those with pre existing anxieties or mental health conditions.

We’re a new group who have set up over the past few days. As such we’re still working out how to most effectively organise together and make our information accessible. Please be patient with us and if you’d like to support the coordination then get in touch - we’d love to have you.
What is a Covid Mutual Aid Local Group?

Covid-19 Mutual Aid Local Groups are setting up independently in communities to support vulnerable people in their local area through the outbreak.

Groups are not being set up in a uniform way and each community is advised to do what is best for them.

You can volunteer in a group whether you are fit and able to run errands or self isolating. A lot of coordination is being done through Facebook and WhatsApp group so if you’re self isolating but feeling well enough to support, you can help with coordination of your local group whilst other people are out doing the physical activities. 

What does a Covid Mutual Aid Local Group/Volunteer do?
Groups are all autonomous and organising a broad range of activities, but most groups are currently organising activities including:
Setting up WhatsApp groups for local volunteers to join
Setting up Facebook pages for local volunteers to join
Creating leaflets and flyering to let people know about the group. There is a template leaflet here. (if you are going to flyer, please make sure you’re considering hygiene. Avoid door knocking/unnecessary face to face interactions).
Providing a number for local vulnerable people to call if they need support.
Running errands/shopping for vulnerable people/self isolating people
Providing a friendly ear and some emotional support to community members who are self isolating or finding the pandemic overwhelming.

Disclaimer: I have set up the page to facilitate people being kind to one another and I am not responsible for unkind people. I am not saying any service advertised on this page is anything other than advertised. Please do your own research and be kind to all.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
NHS Workers Covid-19 Heroes

Wentbridge House are keen to support key workers who are working tirelessly in such unprecedented times due to the Covid-19 outbreak.  To that end, on Monday 23rd March we will be operating a pre-booked social-distanced collection service for NHS workers to access a free food parcel from us. 

This will include:
Home-made Sour Dough Bread
Fresh Soup
A meat & vegetable Stew (Cooked, ready to re-heat at home)
A Dessert

Please note that we do have limited stock, so once it has all gone we will have to suspend our offer.

If you are an NHS worker and would like to take advantage of our community offer please email Faye at faye@wentbridgehouse.co.uk.  Collection available between 1-6pm.

#NHSCovidHeroes

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
https://www.kirklandreporter.com/news/90-year-old-life-care-resident-recovering-after-testing-positive-for-covid-19/

90-year-old Life Care resident recovering after testing positive for COVID-19
Geneva Wood remains in isolation at Harborview Medical Center.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Couple leaves $9,400 tip at restaurant to help staff during coronavirus

Staff members at a popular Houston restaurant received a massive $9,400 tip from a pair of loyal customers hoping to do their part amid the coronavirus crisis.

The couple, who wish to remain anonymous, stopped by Irma’s Southwest restaurant Monday evening after hearing all dine-in service across the county would be closed until further notice beginning the following morning. After their meal, the generous tipsters signed their check with a note to "hold tip to pay your guys over the next few weeks."

"Our staff was truly amazed and in awe of the gesture," said Louis Galvin, owner of Irma’s Southwest. "It was so unexpected and I know it will be a big help for our employees."

The costumers left $1,900 in cash and an additional $7,500 on a credit card. The bill for their meal was $90.12.

Galvin said the $9,400 hull will be split evenly among his 30 employees which amounts to a roughly $300 pay day for each person.

"Our staff needed this to get them through another week," Galvin said.

It’s a welcome gesture from loyal customers at a time when restaurant staff members across the country are particularly vulnerable. According to the latest jobs report from business analytics firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas, Inc.- over nine million hospitality workers' livelihood is at risk due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Restaurants like Irma’s Southwest have to make tough employment decisions as demand in their industry continues to plummet.

"All the money we’re bringing in goes to our staff members at the moment," Galvin said. "They’re our family and we want to keep our family above water as much as we can. But at the end of the day, there’s only so much we can do. We’re open for to-go orders only until further notice and we only get about 50 of those a day."

Galvin added those 50 orders only generate enough labor for about six employees.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Living/couple-leaves-9400-tip-restaurant-staff-coronavirus/story?id=69706087&cid=clicksource_4380645_18_film_strip_icymi_hed
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Awe how fab [emoji3059]

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
Timpsons to close all their shops by 5 o'clock tomorrow. All staff on full pay until this is over. Another company we should endeavour to support on the other side. I'm making a mental note of them.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Timpsons to close all their shops by 5 o'clock tomorrow. All staff on full pay until this is over. Another company we should endeavour to support on the other side. I'm making a mental note of them.

Timpsons are good guys. They have a policy of employing people out of prison to help them rehabilitate, and offer lots of free services to unemployed people looking for work - they own that dry cleaning company I've forgottent the name of and will clean suits etc for free for jobseekers.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Timpsons are good guys. They have a policy of employing people out of prison to help them rehabilitate, and offer lots of free services to unemployed people looking for work - they own that dry cleaning company I've forgottent the name of and will clean suits etc for free for jobseekers.
They also own max spielman and yes they are excellent employers.

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
Am sorry to put something so trivial and personal in here but have just spoken to my dear old mum, who is 82 and very frail and she said a young girl from down the street put a note in her door hoping she was ok and offering her some help. It made my heart melt. Bless her heart.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
Am sorry to put something so trivial and personal in here but have just spoken to my dear old mum, who is 82 and very frail and she said a young girl from down the street put a note in her door hoping she was ok and offering her some help. It made my heart melt. Bless her heart.
Never apologise. The more personal the stories are for us RAWKites, the more cheer and warmth it spreads. We're faaaaamily, bruv, innit.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

How can they be allowed to close. They’re all key workers. :wanker

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
Just had to shoe that one in, didn't you? Where's your sole, man?

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Now that's the kind of stuff we wanna hear about.  Melts your heart when everyday, normal people do extraordinary acts of kindness [emoji3059]

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan

About 3000 people beat you to that in the comments of the Chief Exec on Twitter ;D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
About 3000 people beat you to that in the comments of the Chief Exec on Twitter ;D

Haha, sounds about right. :D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
Now THAT'S good news!!!!! :wave

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Nice one. Same here, my dad is in his 80s and pretty much everyone on his street in Liverpool has knocked to see if he needs anything from the shops or a newspaper - very nice

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Dear customer.we have 4 boxes(200) face masks 3 ply want give away for hospital for free.if anyone working in hospitals you can come to my house to collect it.many thanks[emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590]

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1258341541022650&id=608928632630614

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
With the whole country going mad and panic buying essentials, we will now be offering a home delivery service for anyone that is unable to get toilet roll. We are happy to help anyone who needs us, however we will be prioritising people in the 'at risk' category.

We will be delivering around Sheffield from tomorrow. All delivery drivers will be wearing protective equipment to minimise any risk. 

Price is £2.00, for a pack of 4 toilet rolls, with free delivery.  Maximum order of 8 toilet rolls per person -  We want to help as many people as possible out during these uncertain times!

Please email Sales@yorkshiresupplies.com to place your order!

#strongertogether #heretohelp #sheffield #steelcity

https://www.facebook.com/1235732694/posts/10222429031774694/

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
Paid for a years subscription to disney plus for any teachers and nhs staff that i know so their kids can at least have something to do when they are home. If you know any staff helping with this defo worth doing something to show appreciation if you can  :scarf

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=508181399839863&id=147990895858917

[emoji3448]PLEASE SHARE TO ALL PRIMARY SCHOOLS/PRE SCHOOLS AND [emoji3448]

Following the government’s announcement yesterday that some schools will remain open to the children of key workers, we would like to put this offer out their to any and all schools...

We will supply one of our coaches to come in to school and deliver some active sports sessions, free of charge.

Obviously any sessions delivered will be delivered in a way that takes all precautions advised to keep everyone safe and healthy. It’s a strange time at the minute and as sports coaches if this is the little thing we can do to help keep the little ones of our countries greatest going, we are more than happy to help. [emoji3448]

Any schools that would like to take us up on the offer please email Zeph@kixx.org.uk If you know any teachers please feel free to give them a tag in the comments. [emoji521]

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Can I nominate my wonderful next door neighbour who upon being kept awake by my constant coughing, gave me a phone call to check up on me, and then offered to do my shopping. We don't hear enough about these kind souls. Thanks Anne.  :wave
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks Anne.  :wave
Thanne! :thumbup

Much more thanne a neighbour ;)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Thanne! :thumbup

Much more thanne a neighbour ;)

Indeed.  ;D

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Can I nominate my wonderful next door neighbour who upon being kept awake by my constant coughing, gave me a phone call to check up on me, and then offered to do my shopping. We don't hear enough about these kind souls. Thanks Anne.  :wave
You certainly can Jill, she sounds like a wonderful lady and neighbour.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
You certainly can Jill, she sounds like a wonderful lady and neighbour.

She certainly is Debs.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
There's a car going about Dublin with loudspeakers and a statue of the virgin mary strapped to the roof, blaring out the rosary.

It's doubly wonderful as it has it offers solace and comfort to the religious and unparalleled comedy value to the non-religious.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
There's a car going about Dublin with loudspeakers and a statue of the virgin mary strapped to the roof, blaring out the rosary.

It's doubly wonderful as it has it offers solace and comfort to the religious and unparalleled comedy value to the non-religious.

Great that - love it, love Ireland

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Some more help for bored kids and stressed parents that will be of use in the future.

This BSL course is currently FREE for under 18s! Why not let your children learn a new skill that they will be unlikely to pick up at school?

https://www.british-sign.co.uk/shop/product/introducing-british-sign-language-enrolment/

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So much good stuff to keep the kids entertained and parents sane.

The World of David Walliams is releasing an audio story from The World’s Worst Children every day for the next 30 days!

Keep the kids busy with these daily audio treats, perfect for tea-and-biscuit breaks [emoji477]

Head to bit.ly/AudioElevenses each day for the latest story!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
I thought this deserved to be in here, from Juan Mata.

https://twitter.com/juanmata8/status/1242195174257819651

(and in the comments some light relief as we remember how much of a twat Michael Owen can be ;) )
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:15:24 pm by 24/50 geek! »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I thought this deserved to be in here, from Juan Mata.

https://twitter.com/juanmata8/status/1242195174257819651

(and in the comments some light relief as we remember how much of a twat Michael Owen can be ;) )
Definitely deserved.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
So much good stuff to keep the kids entertained and parents sane.

The World of David Walliams is releasing an audio story from The World’s Worst Children every day for the next 30 days!

Keep the kids busy with these daily audio treats, perfect for tea-and-biscuit breaks [emoji477]

Head to bit.ly/AudioElevenses each day for the latest story!

Cheers for that.
Was just thinking to myself this morning, that if there is one 'upside' to this all for me, and the only thing really keeping me sane, is that I'm getting to spend so much time with my little daughter. Jesus christ I love her. 

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Cheers for that.
Was just thinking to myself this morning, that if there is one 'upside' to this all for me, and the only thing really keeping me sane, is that I'm getting to spend so much time with my little daughter. Jesus christ I love her.
No worries mate it's the whole point of the thread, just glad to help.