Author Topic: PL: West Ham 0 v Liverpool 2 Mo 35' (p) Ox 52'  (Read 27819 times)

Offline RedsofAnfield

• Main Stander
Re: PL: West Ham 0 v Liverpool 2 Mo 35' (p) Ox 52'
« Reply #400 on: January 30, 2020, 09:15:45 am »
On the train back across London in amongst the ‘happy hammers’ lol!! A few snippets.....

‘Klopp will leave and go back to Germany, everyone knows it’
‘We should get Klopp at West Ham, imagine him in the championship’
‘He’s not that good he’s spent so much money’
‘City still better to watch, they’ll win champions league this year’

However.....

‘I hope they do go unbeaten to shut those arsenal c*nts up’

home fans behind me were much more gracious:

2.what a time it must be to be a liverpool supporter, great squad, great songs (during Si Senor)

1. what are they singing?
2. 'there's something that the kop wants you to know, best in the world is bobby firmino, si senor!'

2. [bobby controls a pass and navigates through pressure from 3 WH players] 'what a player! he's always making runs and never loses the ball, so under rated'
1. dont' think he's over rated or under rated, just average

::)

Couldn't be happier with the 160 odd m£ we paid for Virgil and Alisson, both were immense and Alissons point blank saves - wow. fab looked a bit rusty and andy looked tired despite the good crosses he put in. thought mo had a very good game and his interchanges with bobby were dangerous. thought Divock looked off but could be he was feeling something. Curtis looked good coming on too and it was good to see the boys giving him a few extra touches. TBF we never got out of 3rd gear so it was just what the doctor ordered. :wave

Was seated with the home fans on the 2nd tier, even from across the field I could hear all the away support clearly, fantastic supporters - we have a special club and going to matches in london proves this. that said west ham are dire and their fans are quite down - some quite frustrated with their own team and the ref, loudly so. felt a bit sorry for them thinking back to the hodgson days. getting out was an absolute mess as i stayed to clap them out, but not worse than wembley walk last year, only about 30 mins to get to the station through all the crowd control.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:26:03 am by RedsofAnfield »

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #401 on: January 30, 2020, 09:20:37 am »
Time for Paul Hardcastle to re release that song.
All those who have followed the reds...
They wont forget what they've seen.
Destruction, our men in their prime,
We're on our way to 19.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #402 on: January 30, 2020, 09:23:43 am »
Don't you worry. Trent is bedding plenty at the moment.

Ha! Yes, indeed he is. Bloody autocorrect.

Offline BigRedShove

• Kemlynite
« Reply #403 on: January 30, 2020, 09:26:20 am »
What a goal from Ox and the lob pass to Salah was by Hendo?

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: January 30, 2020, 09:36:23 am »
I was pleased to see Salah being more of a team player yesterday. He was much much better and he was very unlucky not to get at least another one. More of that please.

Offline TommyTM

• Main Stander
  • I say old chap!
« Reply #405 on: January 30, 2020, 09:38:41 am »
We're on our way to 19.

All of them received a hero's welcome, all of them, all of them
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:46:05 am by TommyTM »
Man up and support you bunch of pussies. We just spotted Chelsea our best player and pwned them at the Bridge.

Offline TommyTM

• Main Stander
  • I say old chap!
« Reply #406 on: January 30, 2020, 09:45:17 am »
We're on our way to 19.

Also, how about:

All those who remember the cup
They won't forget our youth team
Everton destroyed by our kids
Whose average age was 19
Man up and support you bunch of pussies. We just spotted Chelsea our best player and pwned them at the Bridge.

Offline Huytonian

• Kopite
« Reply #407 on: January 30, 2020, 10:06:22 am »
The man's mental. He thought there was a handball by Bobby.

[/quote

They’re all so fuckin desperate! 😂
We’re not English. We’re SCOUSE.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #408 on: January 30, 2020, 10:54:23 am »
Thought we controlled that from start to finish and were well worth our 2-0 scoreline.

Alisson had a couple saves to make but none that I wouldn't expect him to....we also had a few other chances we maybe should have buried.
But that was quite a professional job, took a while to get going but there was always one team that seemed the more likely. West Ham when venturing up the field seemed to be scared to commit too many forward, and you can see why with our 2nd excellent goal...

Henderson continued his magnificent form. What a captain we have at the moment....Salah looked hungry and always a threat, defence didn't have much to do but maintained their concentration for most part.

A good win.
On to the next one
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: January 30, 2020, 10:59:26 am »
Salah MOTM for me last night.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #410 on: January 30, 2020, 11:23:07 am »
Routine victory and another step closer. Always nice to get one over Moyes as well. He even managed to admit we're an 'excellent side' following the game. Only saw the highlights but it was nice to see Salah involved in both goals. He gets a lot of flak, some of it justified, but I love him all the same. Such a vital player. Great to see the OX bursting through with such determination and belief for the goal. Alisson is ridiculous. I've never known a keeper to basically save every shot that comes his way, some superb saves last night. It is easy to underestimate how important he is because this brilliance has become normalised but he is a huge part of our almost 100% record. What a squad. What a team. What a manager. Up the Reds.

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: January 30, 2020, 11:42:00 am »
This is getting better by the week.

That shameful idiot on Sly could hardly get the words out

being forced to describe our magnificent performance last night.

Voice like his dog had died.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:48:44 am by stjohns »

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #412 on: January 30, 2020, 11:45:55 am »

It might have hit his hand but it certainly wasn't clear and obvious, no way are they overruling that!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: January 30, 2020, 11:54:09 am »
We've won the league 13 times in my lifetime, but I tell you what ... if we pull this off this season I'll celebrate this more than I ever have anything else. To be honest, I'm a Big Ears fan above all else. That big, beautiful shiny masterpiece means everything to me, but because it's been so long for the league title, I just want this so very much. I think the Premier League Trophy is a gaudy dog's dinner of a thing, but it's the title of League Champions I want above all else this season. The fact it will be so richly deserved will be so satisfying too. To be English, European and World Champions all in the same calendar year would be simply the most magnificent feeling ever.

There was a party last season, but if we lift the title then it will be off the scale.

I was going to make an ironic comment on you being some nouveau fan who only cares about the Champions League, with reference to your many years of support, but I can't get the tone right with the right note of humour, so I won't bother.

Instead, I'll just ask you for anecdotes about supporting Liverpool in that era. What was it like experiencing Shankly? All that I've read about him, heard about him, and seen of him, makes him this mythological figure. What was it like, actually living in that era and experiencing Liverpool under him in real life?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #414 on: January 30, 2020, 11:57:53 am »
I was going to make an ironic comment on you being some nouveau fan who only cares about the Champions League, with reference to your many years of support, but I can't get the tone right with the right note of humour, so I won't bother.

Instead, I'll just ask you for anecdotes about supporting Liverpool in that era. What was it like experiencing Shankly? All that I've read about him, heard about him, and seen of him, makes him this mythological figure. What was it like, actually living in that era and experiencing Liverpool under him in real life?
Lovely question - I'd also recommend the VicGill threads on here if you haven't seen them, Sangria.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #415 on: January 30, 2020, 12:35:35 pm »
Thought WHU would've been a tougher test, then I remembered Moyes has just got the managers job. Must have been one of the worst home team performances we've faced all season.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: January 30, 2020, 01:00:48 pm »
Was seated with the home fans on the 2nd tier

is that stadium as dead and soulless at it seems on TV? 
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: January 30, 2020, 01:12:18 pm »
I was in the Billy Bonds stand. Reds everywhere. Was great
Nah.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: January 30, 2020, 01:33:38 pm »
Lovely question - I'd also recommend the VicGill threads on here if you haven't seen them, Sangria.

I have been reading them for a really close perspective. But the ordinary supporter's experience of Shankly would be the equivalent of our experience of Klopp. And quite frankly I can't get enough of reading about Shankly.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #419 on: January 30, 2020, 07:56:11 pm »
West Ham has good players and many have really short changed their fans.

I don’t want to be disrespectful but I feel West Ham players are a bunch of mercenaries. These are people who are getting paid good money by their employers but has one eye on a transfer to City, Chelsea, United or us.

I think it is the general culture of this club.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: January 30, 2020, 07:58:09 pm »
West Ham has good players and many have really short changed their fans.

I don’t want to be disrespectful but I feel West Ham players are a bunch of mercenaries. These are people who are getting paid good money by their employers but has one eye on a transfer to City, Chelsea, United or us.

I think it is the general culture of this club.

If they’ve got one eye on a move to us they’re going about it in a pretty poor way.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: January 30, 2020, 10:01:08 pm »
West Ham were one of the poorest sides we have faced in ages.

They didn't have a plan and lack pace. Moyes is a bizarre Manager - high opinion of himself for someone that hasn't won anything.

We coasted through it in all honesty.

Saw him interviewed before they played Leicester last week and he was talking as if he was up there with Klopp or Guardiola, especially during his time at Everton. Not to mention his 'that's what I do, I win' press conference when he was announced as West Ham's manager (again). For someone who has achieved so little, he really does have a high opinion of himself.

On a more positive note, how good was Firmino in creating the penalty? He's such a joy to watch.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline RedsofAnfield

• Main Stander
« Reply #422 on: January 30, 2020, 10:33:53 pm »
is that stadium as dead and soulless at it seems on TV? 

yeah it's pretty bad. you could hear every word of the away support from clear across the stadium. I mean there were a few families around and lads and dads but the only time they got worked up was when the no calls from the ref and lino. The stadium itself feels like a hotel, it's nice and has good sight lines but it just doesn't feel like a home. Feel bad for the fans.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: January 30, 2020, 11:05:34 pm »
We're on our way to 19.

Whose average age was 19

edit (meant to say the lyrics aren't mine theyre posted above by keyop and TommyTM)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:53:10 pm by blert596 »
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #424 on: January 30, 2020, 11:43:17 pm »
We're on our way to 19.

Whose average age was 19

Forgot whatever i was going to say  :D
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #425 on: January 31, 2020, 12:10:47 am »

Let's just say that having experienced Shankly, Dalglish and Klopp I feel so lucky to have been blessed. There have been some great class presences in football, Busby, Stein, Mercer, Paisley, Robson, Nicholson, Saunders and others but I think those three had something special beyond anyone. I feel a bit Guilty placing Paisley outside but those three had/have magic. Shankly, who I met briefly once, created this club and I doubt without him Jurgen would have ever come here because of the traditions he and the anfield crowd created over 15 years, people hung on every word he said and the shot of him standing in the kop is what I will remember most, total humility.  Shankly had a glow around him, he was genuinely loved as a man and an inspiration.

As for Kenny the way he conducted himself in 1989 (aside from everything else) elevates him into a special place also.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:12:28 am by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #426 on: January 31, 2020, 12:50:30 am »

To be honest, there are a number of people on here who would be far more interesting to read and far more knowledgeable about the Shankly era than me. Bill left us in '74, and I was born in 1962, so I was very young when he departed the club. I only started going to the match in 1971, so I didn't get to see as much of him in the flesh as I'd have liked to. A lot of my admiration for him came with hindsight. The problem with youth is you don't have much life experience, thus not a great deal of perspective. Basically, I was born into the era of the great man, but didn't actually understand what I was witnessing. It's like being born with a silver spoon in your mouth. You don't know any different. You don't understand just how lucky you are.

Funny enough, as a youngster I'd see Shanks getting interviewed after the usual win and I'd be a bit embarrassed. He used to say things I didn't really understand. I used to wish he'd just talk in what I considered simple terms. It was only later I realised the man was a genius. He was a philosopher, and I couldn't understand because I needed to live a little in order to understand what he was saying.

All I knew back then was the man had what I now know as charisma. A truly magnetic character. Such a positive man who made people feel good about themselves and about their city and their club. A man you would tear up tress for. A man who made you feel you were capable of pulling up trees. Although different characters, I think Klopp has some very similar attributes. Both men made the club feel 1,000 feet tall and the players and fans 10 feet tall. For me, having Bill Shankly, LFC, the Spion Kop in my corner, well it felt amazing. The quality and feel of that identity helped me through some very difficult times in my young life. The entity that was Liverpool FC just seemed so monumentally massive, and I think that came from Shankly.

As I've grown older I now understand just how valuable and rare people like him are. People who believe in you and are positive. People who bring your best out of you and push you to believe in yourself. It's a special gift, and Bill Shankly had that gift.

Even now, all these years on, I find Shankly to be like a complex piece of art. By that I sort of mean multi-layered. You uncover new things each time you look. He saw football as such a simple game, yet he was such a complex man. He was basic and no-nonsense, yet he was a philosopher with great depth. Even today, I still get goosebumps looking at the photo of him on the steps of St. George's Hall in town with his arms outstretched with the crowds behind him. Every time I see it, I get goosebumps and feel slightly emotional.

The day he retired came as such a shock. I remember Tony Wilson breaking the news to people on the streets of Liverpool at the time. Total shock on faces. Honestly, It felt like my first bereavement. It felt impossible. It felt so wrong. Disbelief, denial, sadness set in. Was it the end for us? Little did I know at the time just how solid were the foundations he'd laid down and how they'd endure...

I never actually met him, but I know pretty much everyone who did has a story they will tell anyone who will listen. My girlfriend's brother once turned up at his house and knocked on the door. He got invited in by the man himself and they had a cup of tea and talked football. Imagine that. You turn up at the house of a living legend, and he invites you in for tea. He also had time for my girlfriend and her mum on the platform of Lime Street station. The team were travelling down south and he chatted with them like old friends.

Back in the 80s a few mates and I would do the away trip to Norwich by car. A fella who came with us had all sorts of Shankly interviews on cassette tape and as it was a long, tedious trip over to Norwich we'd play these tapes. My god, the stuff I didn't really understand when I was young all of a sudden made sense. Honestly, I could listen to him all day and learn so much about football, life, people, mentality, philosophy, psychology etc...

All I know is the man was a gem. An incredibly rare diamond who made us all feel we could run through walls. A myth, a legend, yet all so very real, so authentic and so down to earth.

I know this post is a bit of a mess. To be honest, I'm struggling to articulate my thoughts. It's strange really. The only time I've ever felt like I do when I see or hear Bill Shankly was when I was in Che Guevara's mausoleum in Santa Clara, Cuba. Being stood next to things he owned, seeing things he wrote and knowing his remains were there. Such an iconic figure in world history. Different people in many ways, but both carved into history and seen as myth and reality in equal measure. You're possibly wishing you hadn't asked me now.  ;)

But anyway, he was a man who built an empire that thrives to this day. Anyone who met him was lucky. Liverpool were privileged to have had him, and I mean that as a club and a city. He saw himself as privileged to have had us too. What more can you ask, eh?

Well, I'm full of goosebumps again now.  8)

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #427 on: January 31, 2020, 06:42:53 am »
Brilliant again SoS. You raise a ''sorry mate, can't help you'' post to another level  ;D
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: January 31, 2020, 12:58:36 pm »
Brilliant again SoS. You raise a ''sorry mate, can't help you'' post to another level  ;D

Haha!  :)

It felt really messy and disjointed because I couldn't really articulate my thoughts properly. I also just don't feel as qualified as many others on here to talk about the Shankly era in real depth.

I'm pretty good at rambling and talking shite though, hence the size of the reply.  :D
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: January 31, 2020, 01:02:51 pm »
Haha!  :)

It felt really messy and disjointed because I couldn't really articulate my thoughts properly. I also just don't feel as qualified as many others on here to talk about the Shankly era in real depth.

I'm pretty good at rambling and talking shite though, hence the size of the reply.  :D

Thanks for that. It's in depth enough, as what I wanted wasn't details of what Shankly did and so on (I can get that from books), but accounts of what it was like to experience being a Liverpool fan during Shankly's era.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: January 31, 2020, 01:05:18 pm »
^ Great that SOS - really boss - love it.
Those tapes on the long aways were boss too, we used to have Stan Boardman and Billy Connelly :D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: January 31, 2020, 01:13:51 pm »
^ Great that SOS - really boss - love it.
Those tapes on the long aways were boss too, we used to have Stan Boardman and Billy Connelly :D
Cheers, mate.

As well as the Shankly tapes we'd have a battle to get our stuff played on the car stereo. My cousin (the driver) always wanted Abba on. He had an ironic fascination with them. Another lad wanted his Queen tapes on, and I wanted my tapes of The Cure on.  ;D  Another lad was more interested in reading porn mags he nicked from service stations en route.

Those were the days, my friend...

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: January 31, 2020, 01:14:38 pm »
Thanks for that. It's in depth enough, as what I wanted wasn't details of what Shankly did and so on (I can get that from books), but accounts of what it was like to experience being a Liverpool fan during Shankly's era.
Good stuff. Glad it was ok.  :thumbup

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: January 31, 2020, 01:49:51 pm »
Cheers, mate.

As well as the Shankly tapes we'd have a battle to get our stuff played on the car stereo. My cousin (the driver) always wanted Abba on. He had an ironic fascination with them. Another lad wanted his Queen tapes on, and I wanted my tapes of The Cure on.  ;D  Another lad was more interested in reading porn mags he nicked from service stations en route.

Those were the days, my friend...

You might like this clip from a Japanese show in 1970.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBj2P_1D3Uo
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #434 on: January 31, 2020, 01:50:32 pm »
Sons has put a lot of my feelings on paper there. Age makes them a kaleidoscope of memories, sounds and images.
The man was like nothing before or since.  Sometimes Klopp gets close with his honesty and enthusiasm for the game. As kids we would go to Melwood see him train “with the lads”. An interview on Footie Focus with him was a major event.
His word was lore as well as law.
That speech on the steps of St George’s, the day after Charlie George had made me (and several others on here) cry was amazing. He knew he had the making of a good side ready to take on the best, but it was not quite there. He issued a rallying cry, and my God did he deliver.
It is hard to explain to someone what he inspired in you.
The reporter in the Echo summed it up for me quoting his speech and putting in his own reaction

“Not even Chairman Mao with all his millions, could put on a show of red strength like you have today!” said Shankly
The Echo fellers response? “one got the feeling that if Mao wanted to dispute the fact, a nod from Shankly would have sent the whole lot Eastwards through the Mersey Tunnel to argue about it.” (The reporters Geography was crap mind you). He made you feel invincible. We were his elite supporters. His Red Army.

I can even recall his defiance after we got battered by Ajax; as a small kid like Sons I had only known Glory, albeit tinged with the likes of losing the Cup winners Cup final. We expected to wallop them the same as Inter, because, Shanks had said so.

The breaking up of the 60s team was hard for him, yet he set about bringing some of the greatest ever players in to make his second great side. 
When they announced themselves by beating the reigning champions in the 71 cup semi, his enthusiasm took over.

“I wouldn’t have missed that game” he declared, “If I had been dead, I would have had them prop the coffin in the stands with a hole in the lid for me to see.”
The 72/73 side was my first title watching from the Kop and I was privileged to see some fantastic football that season. We romped through Europe as well. Leeds were in their pomp and Arsenal were still a very good side, with most of their double winners plus Alan Ball. Clough had made Derby into a force, yet we stood strong and clinched the league. It’s burnt into my memory, how Shanks greeted us at the end of the Leicester game in the pose they picked for his statue.
His words to the policeman who kicked a scarf off the pitch on the running track
“That scarf is somebody’s life!” He then picked it up and knotted it round his neck.
He knew! He was as football daft as we were.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:53:13 pm by 12C »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: January 31, 2020, 02:22:18 pm »
You might like this clip from a Japanese show in 1970.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBj2P_1D3Uo

Good old Mary.  ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: January 31, 2020, 02:26:24 pm »
Sons has put a lot of my feelings on paper there. Age makes them a kaleidoscope of memories, sounds and images.
The man was like nothing before or since.  Sometimes Klopp gets close with his honesty and enthusiasm for the game. As kids we would go to Melwood see him train “with the lads”. An interview on Footie Focus with him was a major event.
His word was lore as well as law.
That speech on the steps of St George’s, the day after Charlie George had made me (and several others on here) cry was amazing. He knew he had the making of a good side ready to take on the best, but it was not quite there. He issued a rallying cry, and my God did he deliver.
It is hard to explain to someone what he inspired in you.
The reporter in the Echo summed it up for me quoting his speech and putting in his own reaction

“Not even Chairman Mao with all his millions, could put on a show of red strength like you have today!” said Shankly
The Echo fellers response? “one got the feeling that if Mao wanted to dispute the fact, a nod from Shankly would have sent the whole lot Eastwards through the Mersey Tunnel to argue about it.” (The reporters Geography was crap mind you). He made you feel invincible. We were his elite supporters. His Red Army.

I can even recall his defiance after we got battered by Ajax; as a small kid like Sons I had only known Glory, albeit tinged with the likes of losing the Cup winners Cup final. We expected to wallop them the same as Inter, because, Shanks had said so.

The breaking up of the 60s team was hard for him, yet he set about bringing some of the greatest ever players in to make his second great side. 
When they announced themselves by beating the reigning champions in the 71 cup semi, his enthusiasm took over.

“I wouldn’t have missed that game” he declared, “If I had been dead, I would have had them prop the coffin in the stands with a hole in the lid for me to see.”
The 72/73 side was my first title watching from the Kop and I was privileged to see some fantastic football that season. We romped through Europe as well. Leeds were in their pomp and Arsenal were still a very good side, with most of their double winners plus Alan Ball. Clough had made Derby into a force, yet we stood strong and clinched the league. It’s burnt into my memory, how Shanks greeted us at the end of the Leicester game in the pose they picked for his statue.
His words to the policeman who kicked a scarf off the pitch on the running track
“That scarf is somebody’s life!” He then picked it up and knotted it round his neck.
He knew! He was as football daft as we were.

I cannot think of the man without getting goosebumps, and I just got them again reading your post.

Great stuff.  :)

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: January 31, 2020, 03:02:22 pm »
A couple of great posts there SonS and 12c - Thanks for sharing.  :wellin

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #438 on: January 31, 2020, 03:12:24 pm »
A couple of great posts there SonS and 12c - Thanks for sharing.  :wellin
Seconded. Always enjoy hearing these anecdotes and stories about Shankly and our past
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: January 31, 2020, 03:26:33 pm »
Wow, a post-match went up a gear  :)
Great question, Sangria, amazing response Sons and others.
I'll be reading the auld arses thread all evening now  ;)
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.