Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 450879 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #3360 on: June 22, 2021, 09:27:59 am »
Fair play that they didn't put the expected faces in the Money in the Bank match. Ricochet over Styles, Morrison over Orton, Riddle over Drew. Although assume the winner will be on the Smackdown side.

Seems like classic current WWE. Put loads of younger or more popular, athletic people in the MITB thinking someone new is going to get put over and then halfway through the match Brock Lesnar just returns and destroys everyone and wins the briefcase just because.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #3361 on: June 22, 2021, 03:51:19 pm »
Also, what the hell?

https://twitter.com/DessiePlex/status/1406806466279837702

The sooner we get fans back, the better.

why the need for a crash pad for a basic bump like that, embarrasing.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3362 on: June 22, 2021, 04:53:34 pm »
Seems like classic current WWE. Put loads of younger or more popular, athletic people in the MITB thinking someone new is going to get put over and then halfway through the match Brock Lesnar just returns and destroys everyone and wins the briefcase just because.

While that is true, it was worth it just to be a part of the Brock party.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3363 on: June 25, 2021, 11:05:16 pm »
The following got their Future endeavours today from WWE

Ever-Rise (Chase Parker & Matt Martel)
Fandango
Ariya Daivari
Tony Nese
August Grey (fka Anthony Greene)
Tyler Breeze
The Bollywood Boyz (aka The Singh Brothers)
Marina Shafir
Curt Stallion
Arturo Ruas
Killian Dain
Kenice Mobley (writer)

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3364 on: June 26, 2021, 08:26:03 am »
Sucks to see people lose their jobs but again no one of note. I heard rumours of Keith Lee and Naomi being gone as well

Can’t see AEW picking up any of the above, a fair few might end up in impact. A more serious Johnny Curtis could do a jog in the upper mid card there as he is a talent

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3365 on: June 26, 2021, 11:19:50 am »
Can’t see AEW picking up any of the above,

Add Tino Sabatelli to the list as well, who was also let go from WWE last year and turned up in AEW for some Dark tapings. He then proceeded to leak backstage info and upcoming appearances and a short while later got rewarded with being rehired by WWE. 9 months later he's been let go again, having apparently never made another appearance, and with other companies knowing that he can't be trusted.

Whether that sours AEW/others on potentially picking up minor WWE guys in future, who knows.

Regardless, AEW is pretty stuffed at the moment and have enough guys treading water waiting for Cody's latest side project to stop sucking up TV time. Pinnacle/IC is also probably getting more exposure than really warranted from the reactions I'm reading (too many big matches already, too many spots, and if you considered that the nucleus of it all was MJF and Jericho coming together after their respective losses at All Out 2020 then by their presumed grand blow off at the next PPV it will have run a full year). It's the sort of thing that WWE got away with in the Attitude era, but it's hard to take this feud about who's on top seriously when neither faction hold any of the titles at all.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 11:42:22 am by Riquende »
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3366 on: June 27, 2021, 12:29:53 am »
https://mobile.twitter.com/AEW/status/1408905762613628931

Tony Khan swooping in and stealing the Sancho signing from Utd  ;D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3367 on: June 30, 2021, 06:20:12 pm »
The state of this dickhead.

I'm not used to WWE being the good guys, but they did the right thing here.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3368 on: July 1, 2021, 11:02:06 pm »
The state of this dickhead.

I'm not used to WWE being the good guys, but they did the right thing here.

Loads of them is that locker room

Sasha Banks has been outed as an anti-vaxxer and they are struggling to get all their employees vaccinated.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3369 on: July 2, 2021, 07:06:53 pm »
Been a pretty good week if you're a wrestling fan.

A better than average Raw and AEW finishing up their stint at Daily's Place with a strong Dynamite.

Vince also spending time at the NXT performance centre which is previously unheard of.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #3370 on: July 3, 2021, 10:08:31 pm »
Been a pretty good week if you're a wrestling fan.

A better than average Raw and AEW finishing up their stint at Daily's Place with a strong Dynamite.

Vince also spending time at the NXT performance centre which is previously unheard of.

Watched Dynamite for the first time in over a year last night. The Sammy/MJF match was good, but far far too many kickouts of moves that should be match enders. Ruined it for me.
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3371 on: July 5, 2021, 10:40:46 pm »
For anyone not up to date with the story of Hangman Adam Page and interested in it, this is a really good tweet thread explaining the 2 year story which (I assume) is ending at All Out with the big win

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisBrosnahan/status/1411638991343042562

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3372 on: July 5, 2021, 11:04:44 pm »
For anyone not up to date with the story of Hangman Adam Page and interested in it, this is a really good tweet thread explaining the 2 year story which (I assume) is ending at All Out with the big win

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisBrosnahan/status/1411638991343042562

Great that, the bit backstage on Dynamite with The Dark Order was the most wholesome thing I've seen this year since Ted Lasso
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3373 on: July 6, 2021, 09:44:08 am »
Must admit that I thought they had bodged it, but the reaction Page got was one of a megastar in the making and , thanks to the nature of his finisher, his matches are suitably different enough to stand out, regardless of all the other things that he has going for him.

It needs to be the defining moment here. Page kicking out of the one winged angel could be one hell of a pop.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3374 on: July 6, 2021, 10:35:49 am »
Must admit that I thought they had bodged it, but the reaction Page got was one of a megastar in the making and , thanks to the nature of his finisher, his matches are suitably different enough to stand out, regardless of all the other things that he has going for him.

It needs to be the defining moment here. Page kicking out of the one winged angel could be one hell of a pop.

See I am not sure if you have that first time or save it for the rematch, and in the first match have Omega not hit it.

Save it for the rematch and Omega still has his "Ace in the Hole" where he can beat Hangman anytime with this one move...until he doesn't of course. On top you will be having the title win pop in the first match so have the other mega pop for the other match

Offline mgs88

• Main Stander
« Reply #3375 on: July 6, 2021, 12:29:39 pm »
See I am not sure if you have that first time or save it for the rematch, and in the first match have Omega not hit it.

Save it for the rematch and Omega still has his "Ace in the Hole" where he can beat Hangman anytime with this one move...until he doesn't of course. On top you will be having the title win pop in the first match so have the other mega pop for the other match

I'm still not sold page wins the first title match.  I can see Kenny retaining (with callis help) & another match being set up for a few months down the line where he kicks out of the OWA & wins the big one.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3376 on: July 6, 2021, 01:08:26 pm »
Page shouldn't lose to Omega again before finally beating him, it doesn't make sense.  That'd be two wins in a row for Omega.  They absolutely need him to decisively beat him clean in the ring, kicking out of the OWA with no interference.  I expect The Elite will try and get involved halfway through but the Dark Order will see them off and take it backstage.

I have faith that they know how to switch the title, it 100% needs to be clean, don't want to see anything like the Sting vs Hogan shit show.

But yep, Page's story over the past couple of years has been excellent.  You just don't get slow, nuanced builds like that in WWE.  At least not anymore.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3377 on: July 6, 2021, 04:36:42 pm »
You say that, but just wait until R-Truth finally wins the big one.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3378 on: July 6, 2021, 05:04:00 pm »
You say that, but just wait until R-Truth finally wins the big one.

Nah nah, it's gonna be little jimmy winning the big one, after R-Truth has been training him for the past decade

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3379 on: July 6, 2021, 05:39:32 pm »
Page shouldn't lose to Omega again before finally beating him, it doesn't make sense. 

... why? Because of some tally of wins and losses between the two that can't get too far out of balance?

The next few weeks could be a big indicator of timescale and bumps in the road. If they immediately start talking about the title match, then I think Omega retains in a first match. If Hangman instead resists at first but otherwise starts tearing it up to build his belief up, then sure, I can see him taking it.

I'm confident they know what they're doing though. AEW doesn't always get the booking right, but the don't go too far wrong with anything involving the EVPs themselves (excluding Cody).
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3380 on: July 6, 2021, 10:24:38 pm »
Jimmy Uso arrested for DUI yesterday. His 3rd DUI arrest and 4th alcohol related arrest.

That will probably be him binned off the current storyline

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3381 on: July 6, 2021, 10:26:54 pm »
As for AEW, they have some huge events coming up in August and September including their New York Dynamite that needs to be stacked.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3382 on: July 6, 2021, 10:30:36 pm »
Jimmy Uso arrested for DUI yesterday. His 3rd DUI arrest and 4th alcohol related arrest.

That will probably be him binned off the current storyline
Needs to be binned off the company, guy is a complete idiot

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3383 on: July 7, 2021, 12:14:19 am »
As for AEW, they have some huge events coming up in August and September including their New York Dynamite that needs to be stacked.

Somewhat crazy period:

Next 4 Dynamites (all July) are all 'named' shows - Road Rager, Fyter Fest I & II and Fight for the Fallen - AEW back on the road and looking to make up lost time.

Then during August they're building to All Out, but that build includes a big homecoming Jacksonville show (bit early), a big return to Pittsburgh for new champ Britt Baker, and also the launch of Rampage halfway through the month.

Then All Out kicks off September, and after last year's fairly lame effort I expect they'll be gunning for a good one.

And then they're heading towards their New York bow, and Dynamite's 2 year anniversary at the start of October. And then we're only a month away from Full Gear and the first of the Saturday Night Specials!

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3384 on: July 7, 2021, 10:40:18 am »
... why? Because of some tally of wins and losses between the two that can't get too far out of balance?

The next few weeks could be a big indicator of timescale and bumps in the road. If they immediately start talking about the title match, then I think Omega retains in a first match. If Hangman instead resists at first but otherwise starts tearing it up to build his belief up, then sure, I can see him taking it.

I'm confident they know what they're doing though. AEW doesn't always get the booking right, but the don't go too far wrong with anything involving the EVPs themselves (excluding Cody).

This will be key, I think. They need to give it a little bit more time before Hangman and Page come face to face in the ring. And, when they come face to face, I believe it should be a confident Page letting Kenny know it's time.

And no, they need not rush it after that. I think that Hangman has to win, and I think it has to play out exactly as has been suggested. The Elite get involved and the Dark Order send them packing. Kick out of OWA and Page lariats his head off for the title.

It should be epic.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3385 on: July 7, 2021, 01:41:59 pm »

Because this is the right time, Omega beat him in their last singles match, if he wins again in a singles match vs Hangman, why should Page get another shot?  Even with Elite shenanigans.

They should definitely have Kenny pin him in a mixed tag or something with the OWA during the build, just to cement that move as a killer, and then play up to no one kicking out of it in years.

The audience is ready for it, and All Out isn't for another couple of months, so there's plenty of time to add a little more nuance to the story and it's their first big PPV with the crowds back - gotta give the people what they want.

In other (AEW Dark) news...

Spoiler
Fuego finally gets a win and the vlog crew celebrate together before they go back on the road.  Which explains why Sammy had some 'technical issues' with his laptop and had to delay the upload.
[close]

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3386 on: July 7, 2021, 06:19:46 pm »
Wondering what happens with Jimmy Uso now. Third time he’s been arrested for DUI

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3387 on: July 8, 2021, 04:48:43 pm »
Wondering what happens with Jimmy Uso now. Third time he’s been arrested for DUI

He needs help but I think he's a big enough star for them to insist on rehab. I might be wrong, but I don't think they will do anything to stop the presentation of Roman Reigns, especially now they finally have the character that works for him.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3388 on: July 8, 2021, 05:37:05 pm »
Do they usually do anything with DUI stuff?  They often help out with drug issues, but this is his third one now, why haven't they stepped in before?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3389 on: July 9, 2021, 11:10:56 pm »
Bayley injured in training and will be expected to be out for 9 months.

That's a big loss. Her heel turn had gone so well

They should do what AEW did with Britt Baker
« Last Edit: July 9, 2021, 11:13:21 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #3390 on: July 12, 2021, 07:41:14 pm »
Mr wonderful Paul orndorff has died

Dementia

Aged 71

Rip
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3391 on: July 12, 2021, 08:47:42 pm »
Mr wonderful Paul orndorff has died

Dementia

Aged 71

Rip

Terry Funk isn't doing too well either and is now living in an assisted living facility with suspected dementia.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3392 on: July 12, 2021, 08:49:09 pm »
RIP

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3393 on: July 12, 2021, 09:00:25 pm »
RIP Paul Orndorff

Makes me sad that all the legends we grew up watching are gone or going. The ones I miss in particular (non-wrestlers) are Bobby Heenan, The Fink and Mean Gene Okerlund.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3394 on: July 12, 2021, 09:02:15 pm »
Also Brock Lesnar channelling his inner Mordecai

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3395 on: July 12, 2021, 09:45:38 pm »
RIP Paul Orndorff

Makes me sad that all the legends we grew up watching are gone or going. The ones I miss in particular (non-wrestlers) are Bobby Heenan, The Fink and Mean Gene Okerlund.

Dusty Rhodes and Roddy Piper (2015 was a horrible year). Not because I had particularly grown up watching them. But it was the video tributes WWE had made about them.

Knock WWE for their current product all you want but they sure as hell knock up incredible video packages and tributes. It shows they have such an amazing archive of material that someone is meticulously curating and digitising and that was long before the Network was even there as a concept.

Speaking about the network, Ive noticed online that alot of the newer content is starting to get dropped and the older content is being butchered so it appeals better to peacock viewers.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #3396 on: July 13, 2021, 12:35:44 pm »
RIP Paul Orndorff

Warrior was the one that really got me
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline bird_lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3397 on: July 15, 2021, 08:39:02 pm »
Warrior was the one that really got me

The warrior passing the night after that promo on RAW made it so much more shocking and upsetting IMO.

Watched AEW full episode this week, probably only the second or so time I’ve done this for a wrestling show in general for a long time. Impressed to be honest, I really like Tommy End as a performer too

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3398 on: July 15, 2021, 09:22:54 pm »
Watched AEW full episode this week, probably only the second or so time I’ve done this for a wrestling show in general for a long time. Impressed to be honest, I really like Tommy End as a performer too

You picked a good one and having that hot crowd really made it.  Darby is a madman.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3399 on: July 16, 2021, 03:12:23 pm »
Cena, Goldberg, Lesnar and Becky lynch all expected to be making their returns in the next few weeks