Author Topic: The Grand Tour - Clarkson, Hammond and May  (Read 26505 times)

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Re: The Grand Tour - Clarkson, Hammond and May
« Reply #160 on: April 7, 2019, 08:27:33 pm »
been a good series this one.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: April 8, 2019, 12:06:23 am »
It's just going to be specials after this series - Richard Porter confirmed it himself on the Gareth Jones podcast.

Won't miss the tent stuff, but it would be a shame if it also means an end to those more thoughtful pieces too.

That Mongolia special is some of the best work they have done in ages, not sure about it seeming less scripted, but it definitely felt a lot less forced in the scripting.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #162 on: April 8, 2019, 07:16:03 am »
I've always kinda preferred the "each buy one 'something' for a few grand, customise it and do a few challenges" episodes myself.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: April 12, 2019, 01:59:47 pm »
Great piece on the death of the Ford Saloon
Some great old Cortinas in there, forgotten how good looking a car it used to be.

In the US they have more or less stopped making saloons/sedans. Only audi merc and bmw are really selling a shit ton of them. Ford GM etc mainly sell SUV’s in all shapes and sizes

Much prefer the specials and as already stated the Mongolia one was extremely good.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2019, 07:04:26 pm »
I think Ford have actually stopped making all cars besides the mustang in the states now haven't they, it is just suvs and trucks from them now.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2019, 07:10:35 pm »
I think Ford have actually stopped making all cars besides the mustang in the states now haven't they, it is just suvs and trucks from them now.

Focus and Fusion off the top of my head.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2019, 07:20:06 pm »
Focus and Fusion off the top of my head.

Only Focus will be a crossover, so seems more like they are trying to make use of the brand, is the Fusion actually hanging around or is it just the name being reused in a similar manner?

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2019, 07:25:33 pm »
Only Focus will be a crossover, so seems more like they are trying to make use of the brand, is the Fusion actually hanging around or is it just the name being reused in a similar manner?

Focus is gonna be a crossover? That's disappointing. I really liked the faster versions of it. The RS was a lot of fun.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2019, 11:29:42 pm »
Mustang and Focus Active only by the end of the year

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #169 on: January 28, 2020, 07:31:00 pm »
I quit enjoyed the latest one "Seaman", about a boat ride through Vietnam.

Pretty interesting stuff. Great ending of what crossing a sea in a river boat can look like.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #170 on: December 3, 2020, 01:06:27 pm »
New episode coming Dec 18th, titled "A Massive Hunt". Set in Madagascar on the search for some lost pirate treasure.

Apparently have another already filmed, slightly shorter at around an hour, based in Scotland.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #171 on: December 17, 2020, 11:18:15 pm »
Seems to have gone live slightly early and is available now.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: January 1, 2021, 10:39:27 am »
Slightly disappointing this one. Dare I say it, but it looks to me like Hammond and May are tired of it all?

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #173 on: January 1, 2021, 11:36:24 am »
it was what it was. these days you pretty much know what you're going to get from them.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: July 31, 2021, 02:35:41 am »
Thought the latest Lochdown was getting back to form
Some seriously lol moments

Plus Scotland is fucking insanely beautiful

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2021, 12:07:36 pm »
Yeah really enjoyed that.

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2021, 07:43:18 pm »
Thoroughly good watch and definitely preferred it to the massive hunt episode. Funny bits throughout.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2021, 08:04:45 pm »
I enjoyed it, remember having Hammonds car as a matchbox toy.

Also learnt something new - had no idea Steve McQueen's Bullit car is the same as the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2021, 08:36:43 pm »
The Elvis comment and May opening the caravan door had me howling

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: August 1, 2021, 05:27:26 pm »
I enjoyed it, remember having Hammonds car as a matchbox toy.

Also learnt something new - had no idea Steve McQueen's Bullit car is the same as the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard.

McQueens car isn't, it was a Mustang GT, it was the bad guys who drove the 68 Charger.

« Last Edit: August 1, 2021, 05:40:35 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #180 on: August 1, 2021, 05:29:40 pm »

It isn't.

The Bullit car was a 68 Mustang GT (fastback not coupe). The General Lee was a 69 Dodge Charger.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: August 1, 2021, 05:52:35 pm »
Cheers chaps. I guess that's why I didnt know that fact. As it wasn't true.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #182 on: August 3, 2021, 08:29:03 pm »
Half way through Lochdown and it seems painfully scripted by now - and whilst they've always had strong elements of this, it just comes across as if almost everything is pre-planned to mimic their once spontaneous gags.

Don't get me wrong, it's still somewhat enjoyable, but when they're basically just acting, it just doesn't have the same appeal.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #183 on: August 3, 2021, 08:34:26 pm »
Half way through Lochdown and it seems painfully scripted by now - and whilst they've always had strong elements of this, it just comes across as if almost everything is pre-planned to mimic their once spontaneous gags.

Don't get me wrong, it's still somewhat enjoyable, but when they're basically just acting, it just doesn't have the same appeal.

I can def see why you'd say that about parts of it for sure, and as you say it's always been the case, but not sure I noticed it any more than usual during this and I've watched it twice now (as the gf decided she wanted to watch it after not doing this first time I did...  ::) )

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #184 on: August 3, 2021, 08:37:29 pm »

their spontaneous gags probably weren't that spontaneous to start with. I thought it was fine, it's just more of what they do which is piss around, fall over and break things.

been watching the farm show and about half way through it and it's enjoyable. some good characters in it.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: August 3, 2021, 08:57:49 pm »
Not a hope in hell those cars were even legal to drive on the road. The A9 is a fucking nightmare at the best of times without all their shit. How do they get away with it?

It is entertaining though.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: August 3, 2021, 09:35:03 pm »
I can def see why you'd say that about parts of it for sure, and as you say it's always been the case, but not sure I noticed it any more than usual during this and I've watched it twice now (as the gf decided she wanted to watch it after not doing this first time I did...  ::) )
I think it was the James May caravan gag that was slightly jarring - not knowing how to reverse even though he most definitely knows how to and has done so on the show on numerous occasions, driving over a traffic cone that just happened to be there, a disused fire engine which happened to be there, James May being gone for the 'perfect' amount of time for them to be able to fill a whole caravan with water, and what a surprise he goes to open the door straight away and doesn't notice the water leaking out of it. Very funny fall but just so obviously staged.

Still entertaining, but as with everything that goes on for as long as they've been doing it, the sheen has somewhat come off.
Stan Laurel

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #187 on: August 3, 2021, 09:36:36 pm »
I think it was the James May caravan gag that was slightly jarring - not knowing how to reverse, driving over a traffic cone that just happened to be there, a disused fire engine which happened to be there, James May being gone for the 'perfect' amount of time, and what a surprise he goes to open the door and doesn't notice the water leaking out of it.

I mean sure, but they've done that sort of stuff in all of them. The funny thing about that scene was the way he went flying which was clearly not scripted  ;D

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: August 3, 2021, 10:09:38 pm »
It's just easy shite to watch. Some people watch Love Island, some this. I have no idea about cars, I couldn't give a flying fuck, just entertaining to watch. Watched The Grand Tour over lockdown.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: August 3, 2021, 10:42:01 pm »
I mean sure, but they've done that sort of stuff in all of them. The funny thing about that scene was the way he went flying which was clearly not scripted  ;D
They have but with much more subtlety. James' fall is incredibly funny! It's perfect.

Having now watched the second half, it improves a lot and the bit with the bridge is them at their best.
Stan Laurel

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #190 on: August 3, 2021, 10:46:34 pm »
I had a damn good laugh at the boat sinking.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: August 3, 2021, 11:59:45 pm »
When on form they are head and shoulders above flintoff mcguiness etc

I thought it was funny, a good hr and a half

Still short of their best ever which was Vietnam on the bikes and the boats
Also the trip in the steam engine bike and jag, that was just perfection

And the boat sinking and may falling over was brilliant.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #192 on: August 6, 2021, 02:26:45 pm »
F**k me that Lochdown is a slog to get through

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #193 on: August 6, 2021, 04:34:12 pm »
F**k me that Lochdown is a slog to get through
Agree.. a bit boring I thought
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: August 12, 2021, 01:44:44 pm »
Enjoyed the show but what was the ending about, China taking over from America? What has that got to do with American cars or the motor industry or am I missing something here?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: August 12, 2021, 03:03:56 pm »
Enjoyed the show but what was the ending about, China taking over from America? What has that got to do with American cars or the motor industry or am I missing something here?

Taking over the mantle of shit cars?

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #196 on: August 12, 2021, 03:53:49 pm »
Just finished watching the one (ep1) where they were in Cambodia, actually enjoyed it. They are buffoons, Clarkson is someone you wouldn't get tired of booting up the arse, but in a weird way I'd absolutely love to go for a few pints with them.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2021, 08:54:51 pm »
Just got round to watching Lochdown... I haven't really watched the Grand Tour since the first series, but watched the Cambodia and Madagascar episodes and actually quite liked them. This was terrible.

Maybe it's because I'm Scottish, but the usual stereotypes, the factual inaccuracies (that road is not called "The Applecross", it is the road to the village called Applecross - funnily enough I remember being a passenger as akid on that road and my parents being driven nuts by Anerican tourists who didn't understand what a passing place is), or the bizarre Chinese ending was cringeworthy, and that road aside, they managed to miss all the best bits about that drive.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #198 on: August 18, 2021, 10:43:30 am »
Maybe it's because I'm Scottish, but the usual stereotypes, the factual inaccuracies (that road is not called "The Applecross", it is the road to the village called Applecross - funnily enough I remember being a passenger as akid on that road and my parents being driven nuts by Anerican tourists who didn't understand what a passing place is), or the bizarre Chinese ending was cringeworthy, and that road aside, they managed to miss all the best bits about that drive.

I thought the wider area was called Applecross and not the village?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: August 18, 2021, 10:52:20 am »
I thought the wider area was called Applecross and not the village?

Sorry you are right, but the road definitely isn't "The Applecross".

Actually from Wikipedia, the road is called "Bealach na Ba" which translates as the Pass of the Cattle.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 10:53:55 am by Just Elmo? »