Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1807744 times)

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #16800 on: February 13, 2021, 04:44:38 pm »
Was it much different last season? Our midfielders have never been that productive in front of goal, that’s been the responsibility of the front three and full backs.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16801 on: February 13, 2021, 05:03:52 pm »
It shouldn't be that way though. We can at least ask for some creativity there. Klopp has signed a creative midfielder pretty much every summer since being here, so I assume he wants more too.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16802 on: February 13, 2021, 05:05:57 pm »
Just change the shape of our midfield. Two pivots and an attacking midfielder.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #16803 on: February 13, 2021, 05:27:44 pm »
So what do our midfielders actually do?

3 goals, 6 assists from midfield in the league all season. Pass the responsibility on to the front three at every opportunity. Seem afraid to shoot.

Then you look at the output from City's midfielders. They always seem to find a spark from somewhere.
City's midfielders play in midfield, ours as make-shift CBs.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #16804 on: February 13, 2021, 05:29:53 pm »
Just change the shape of our midfield. Two pivots and an attacking midfielder.

We don't have a proper 9 to make that work.  Origi is the closest and he's way off the standard required.  Mane and Salah have both played that role, but with limited success and Firmino has not ever really played well for us as a 10.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16805 on: February 13, 2021, 05:42:46 pm »
It badly lacks balance at the moment.  Thiago, Jones and Gini are probably too similar.  They all want to do bits and pieces of the other stuff and focus mainly on stitching things together.  We need Henderson to focus on the running and physicality and Fabinho to focus on the defensive side so the other lad can do his thing.

I would love to see Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago play together in midfield before the season is over.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16806 on: February 13, 2021, 05:48:36 pm »
There’s not any attacking desire from them which is the problem. I thought in Jones we’d have a midfielder who’d actually carry the ball, but today he just seemed to play within himself. Gini made a burst forward and just before breaking into the box he passed it backwards to Jones who promptly lost it, probably surprised that Gini seemed to throw his opportunity away like that. Near the start, Milner had a sight on goal, but tried to play through Mane who was in a worse position, and then lost it.

There’s just no one taking responsibility in that midfield. It makes us really easy to defend against when all the threat is coming from two areas.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16807 on: February 13, 2021, 05:50:22 pm »
I thought they played ok, their pressing was much, much better than previous games.

We can be in danger of throwing everybody under the bus but bar a mad last 10 minutes thought everybody did what was asked.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #16808 on: February 13, 2021, 05:51:18 pm »
We don't play through the middle, we haven't done since we changed to the 433.  Anyone expecting dribbling through midfield or short, quick passes breaking centrally through the opposition is going to be disappointed.  You'll see a run or two now and then but we're not set up for it at all.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16809 on: February 13, 2021, 05:54:41 pm »
It’s pass sideways and strut around. 0 invention or creativity which is the biggest disappointment about Thiago thus far.

Look forward to getting some steel back in with Fabinho/Hendo. That Ndidi looks like a player we should be considering for the summer.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16810 on: February 13, 2021, 06:02:04 pm »
It’s pass sideways and strut around. 0 invention or creativity which is the biggest disappointment about Thiago thus far.

Look forward to getting some steel back in with Fabinho/Hendo. That Ndidi looks like a player we should be considering for the summer.

No.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #16811 on: February 13, 2021, 06:17:08 pm »

Not sure Ndidi will offer more creativity and invention though....
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #16812 on: February 13, 2021, 06:26:26 pm »

Not really, we have Fabinho for that role. I would look at someone like Zielinski from Napoli, I think he would give us what we hoped the Ox would give us, powerful runs from deep and a long range threat, while also being a better passer and a more intelligent footballer.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16813 on: February 13, 2021, 06:28:50 pm »
The midfield next season has to change in personnel and how we use the '8#s.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16814 on: February 13, 2021, 06:30:21 pm »
We don't have a proper 9 to make that work.  Origi is the closest and he's way off the standard required.  Mane and Salah have both played that role, but with limited success and Firmino has not ever really played well for us as a 10.

I think it could work, with Salah, Mane and Jota interchanging as the front 3, and Firmino in the advanced No.8 role. Jones and AOC could also play in the advanced No.8 role. I think this setup will bring us more creativity in the final third ...

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #16815 on: February 13, 2021, 06:39:12 pm »

Thiago can’t pass through lines of 2 DMs and 6 defenders when he only has 3 forwards in front of him. No other midfielder is making a run in behind. Trent and Robbo are only occasionally making runs in behind. Most of the time Thiago has no one to pass the ball to who isn’t smothered already.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 06:40:46 pm by wemmick »

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16816 on: February 13, 2021, 06:39:24 pm »
I think it could work, with Salah, Mane and Jota interchanging as the front 3, and Firmino in the advanced No.8 role. Jones and AOC could also play in the advanced No.8 role. I think this setup will bring us more creativity in the final third ...

How do the front three rotate but still press as a unit though mate.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16817 on: February 13, 2021, 06:43:54 pm »
How do the front three rotate but still press as a unit though mate.

Well, they don't interchange during the attack, they only interchange positions from time to time, like Man City do it. We are also doing it sometimes, but not often enough. Probably because Firmino is not really suited to the wide attacking positions. But Jota is ...

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16818 on: February 13, 2021, 07:03:44 pm »
Just like to see Fab (when fit) and Henderson back in midfield and use Davies, Kabak, William's and Phillip's as CB options. Has to be better then what we're currently going through right?

Hopefully Keitas back soon, so that will certainly help.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16819 on: February 13, 2021, 07:07:29 pm »
Just like to see Fab (when fit) and Henderson back in midfield and use Davies, Kabak, William's and Phillip's as CB options. Has to be better then what we're currently going through right?

Hopefully Keitas back soon, so that will certainly help.
Can't see a chance of that happening. Williams will not play anymore this season unless we are down to the bare bones, no need to put pressure on the kid. And Kabak will partner Hendo or Fab for a long time. Kabak/Nat will be a slow CB pair that will get exposed.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16820 on: February 13, 2021, 07:50:24 pm »
But then we sacrifice with what we have in midfield then

Offline sidsaurav

• Kemlynite
« Reply #16821 on: February 13, 2021, 07:53:14 pm »
Can't see a chance of that happening. Williams will not play anymore this season unless we are down to the bare bones, no need to put pressure on the kid. And Kabak will partner Hendo or Fab for a long time. Kabak/Nat will be a slow CB pair that will get exposed.
Kabak has decent speed. So Kabak/Nat may not be a bad idea against certain oppositions. I am not sure how Davies will work out. Will we see Kabak/Davies pairing ? But yes i agree, i also see Kabak + Hendo/Fab in the defence for majority of this season.

That is still not too bad as long as the other one is fit to play in the number 6 position. Specially against the stronger oppositions where i find Gini exceptional as an 8. Thiago can take up the other number 8 spot and it will be a strong midfield. In games where the opposition is sitting back and all the onus is on us to get the goals it is a different discussion altogether.

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16822 on: February 13, 2021, 07:55:33 pm »
Why not just start kabak and Davies from here on in. Teams don’t really get to pressure our back line that much when we have our regular midfield and front 3
Can’t be any worse than right now anyways

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16823 on: February 13, 2021, 08:14:34 pm »
Why not just start kabak and Davies from here on in. Teams don’t really get to pressure our back line that much when we have our regular midfield and front 3
Can’t be any worse than right now anyways
It's a great idea to start pairing two CBs that don't yet know how we play, innit?

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16824 on: February 13, 2021, 08:21:53 pm »
We are conceding left right and centre , if we have a solid team around them and get fab back where he belongs, protecting them , and hendo back in midfield , you think it could be any worse than right now.  I highly doubt it
Especially against the bus Parker’s.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16825 on: February 13, 2021, 08:26:38 pm »
We are conceding left right and centre , if we have a solid team around them and get fab back where he belongs, protecting them , and hendo back in midfield , you think it could be any worse than right now.  I highly doubt it
I do think it can be worse, yes. The team plays as one organism, everyone has a role. The new CBs don't know their roles yet and they will be brought alongside someone who can teach them - Hendo or Fabinho. It seems that Kabak will be first, so he needs to learn quickly for Davies to get a sniff. Then Hendo can move to MF and tweak their performances (if they ever start a game together) from there. In fact, I think that there is more chance to see Kabak-Phillips partnership for that very reason, Nat knows how we play.

Offline sidsaurav

• Kemlynite
« Reply #16826 on: February 13, 2021, 08:30:22 pm »

It may not be worse (assuming they are settled and comfortable playing our way) but i am not sure that is the solution against the low block teams. Hendo gives us a bit more drive but that is it i guess. We used the Fab/Hendo/Gini midfield a lot last year but our assists came mainly from the wide areas. That has dried up a bit. Another source of goals was the magic the front three created, they are also not in top form at present. 

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #16827 on: February 13, 2021, 08:33:22 pm »
It may not be worse (assuming they are settled and comfortable playing our way) but i am not sure that is the solution against the low block teams. Hendo gives us a bit more drive but that is it i guess. We used the Fab/Hendo/Gini midfield a lot last year but our assists came mainly from the wide areas. That has dried up a bit. Another source of goals was the magic the front three created, they are also not in top form at present.
Hendo's movement and link up creates a lot of space for Trent and Salah to exploit. So I don't think drive is the only thing he provides out there.

Offline sidsaurav

• Kemlynite
« Reply #16828 on: February 13, 2021, 08:39:35 pm »
Yes that is why it worked last year. The issue i think is Trent is not in top form to exploit that this year. Salah also has been hot and cold.

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16829 on: February 13, 2021, 08:45:36 pm »
Let’s face it, the season will be over in for us in about 1 month if this slide continues. I mean nothing to play for even 4th. That’s 3 defeats on the trot. The system/players are not working in the current form so we can continue to play as we are and basically concede each game or play players where they were bought to play, trained to play, spent their careers playing and provide them with a little more protection than normal but still back to our proper midfield and see can we keep teams away from the defence as much as possible, which is a lot  more likely with our 1st team starting midfield.

Offline sidsaurav

• Kemlynite
« Reply #16830 on: February 13, 2021, 08:55:14 pm »
In my opinion against the low blocks we need a few things to get goals from midfield.
  • dribbling or quick passing to create the space. Keita can do that as good as anybody.
  • late runs into the box. Gini does that sometimes but not too often. We need someone to exploit the space created by Firmino's movement. Generally it has been mane/salah doing that job but i guess they need help
  • more shooting from outside the box. It may not result in goals all the time but it is very effective in drawing out the defenders. AOC was good at that, Hendo does it sometimes but i think Jones should do it more often he has the skill i have seen him doing that for the U23s
But as someone pointed out (Onlinetubby i guess) that we do not play that way.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 09:00:02 pm by sidsaurav »

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #16831 on: June 11, 2021, 10:32:54 am »
He’s alright, but there’s a reason we signed Fabinho in the first place. Henderson hasn’t been great as a 6 this season, and like Thiago, is better higher up the pitch. The midfield I want to see is Fabinho with Henderson and Thiago ahead of him. Obviously that’s not possible right now.
Fingers crossed we get to see that midfield!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #16832 on: October 19, 2021, 10:43:43 pm »
Who would everyone pick as their first choice 3 in midfield (assuming everyone is fit)?

Fabinho is clearly the first name on the team sheet, but the other two positions are up for grabs.  Personally, I'd like to see Thiago and Jones alongside Fab, think that's the best blend of tactical awareness, technique and control.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16833 on: October 19, 2021, 10:44:59 pm »
Who would everyone pick as their first choice 3 in midfield (assuming everyone is fit)?

Fabinho is clearly the first name on the team sheet, but the other two positions are up for grabs.  Personally, I'd like to see Thiago and Jones alongside Fab, think that's the best blend of tactical awareness, technique and control.

Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago.  Quite an easy decision for me.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16834 on: October 19, 2021, 10:46:05 pm »

Henderson has hardly played well this season, bar the games where he is a 6.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #16835 on: October 19, 2021, 10:46:20 pm »

That's why I asked, I reckon Henderson is more of a 6 these days.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16836 on: October 19, 2021, 10:47:36 pm »
Thiago and Fab are amazing and look amazing together unsurprisingly so them two and whoever else is fit, in form or whatever. Got great numbers but there's definitely room for another top quality CM so hopefully that's addressed in the summer.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16837 on: October 19, 2021, 10:47:53 pm »

Fabinho,Thiago, with one of Elliott,Jones, Keita or Ox.
Elliott probably been the best before his Injury of those 3.
Henderson is Fabinho backup to me. I understand why Henderson is playing right now though

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16838 on: October 19, 2021, 10:48:30 pm »
Henderson has hardly played well this season, bar the games where he is a 6.

I dont know, he asked a question, perhaps name yours ?

Hes been better than Keita and Jones is still finding his way.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16839 on: October 19, 2021, 10:50:40 pm »
Kessie still refusing to sign a contract at Milan, free agent in the summer and turns 25 in December.

He looks tailor made for our midfield and the PL.

Cheeky cut price bid in January before he sets off for Afcon.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/c-daqupewK8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/c-daqupewK8</a>
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 10:53:04 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."