Author Topic: Weird stories thread  (Read 196447 times)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: Weird stories thread
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2007, 03:04:35 pm »

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #201 on: May 10, 2007, 12:13:11 am »

thought he would have crawled out the hippo's arse
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2007, 11:08:34 pm »
Are you ready?

A concrete block has fallen from a plane onto a tennis court in Newcastle, narrowly missing a class of school children in the middle of a tennis PE lesson.

Yes, you did read that correctly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/6643891.stm

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2007, 01:19:19 pm »
Are you ready?

A concrete block has fallen from a plane onto a tennis court in Newcastle, narrowly missing a class of school children in the middle of a tennis PE lesson.

Yes, you did read that correctly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/6643891.stm

Michael Owen was due to be talking to the kids about the benefits of sport and Freddie Shepherd go the date wrong?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
Rooney's On The Loose Again
« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2007, 12:34:11 pm »
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/gorilla-escapes-runs-amok/2007/05/19/1179497326696.html

May 19, 2007 - 4:06PM

A 180kg gorilla escaped from its enclosure and ran amok in a Rotterdam zoo today, biting one woman, dragging her around, and causing scenes of panic among dozens of families before being subdued, zoo officials said.

The Diergaarde Blijdorp zoo was evacuated and the 11-year old gorilla, named Bokito, was eventually barricaded inside a restaurant, Rotterdam police spokeswoman Yvette de Rave said. She said at least two people were injured in the incident.

Zoo spokeswoman Lilian Jonkers said Bokito was shot with a sedative dart and recaptured. It was not immediately clear how the black-backed male managed to climb the high stone walls surrounding his enclosure.

"He got over the moat, which in itself is remarkable because gorillas can't swim," zoo director Ton Dorrestijn told reporters. "He got onto a path for visitors and started running and went at full speed through tables and diners at the Oranje restaurant."

Dorrestijn said four people were injured, including one woman with a bite wound, as the gorilla dashed through the zoo and restaurant, NOS radio reported.

Eyewitness Robert de Jonge was interviewed by the Netherlands' NOS radio, saying he did not see the gorilla escape but began following it shortly afterward, as he saw people running and screaming that an escaped gorilla had grabbed a woman - and he tried to help.

"I saw the beast running through the park with a woman behind him, him grabbing her forearm," De Jonge said.

At a distance of around 30 metres he saw the gorilla lie down near the woman and then heard her scream.

"He bit her, or I think he bit her, because when he stood up his mouth was covered in blood," De Jonge said.

De Jonge said he then stopped to tell arriving police what had happened and ran with them as they traced the gorilla to a nearby restaurant terrace within the zoo.

The zoo was packed with visitors as many Dutch took advantage of a national holiday.

"Everyone was in panic, running away, screaming, wailing, screaming kids running around ... kids without parents - it was a total drama," De Jonge said.

Photos from the scene showed children cowering in their parents' arms as the gorilla loped past.

People tried to hide inside the restaurant and were trying to bar the door, but fled as the gorilla approached, De Jonge said. Bokito then punched through the glass door and ran inside.

"They were all in panic, the animal too I mean, and all the people ran outside the restaurant, and zoo personnel were running up and they were able to keep the animal inside by barricading the doors with garden furniture and things."

De Jonge said he later saw the woman who was bitten "covered in blood" but walking unaided, and he said her injuries were probably not life-threatening.

AP

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 01:16:58 pm by El Campeador »

Offline chopperchittar

• Legacy Fan
  • Fellas, I'm ready to get up and do my thing
Re: Rooney's On The Loose Again
« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2007, 02:01:50 pm »
Isn't he on display at Wembely today?
fit as a butchers dog!

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: May 31, 2007, 09:50:48 am »
Woman ‘tricked into sex’ by penis cream treatment

A Syrian-born airline pilot allegedly tricked a schoolteacher from Haverfordwest into having sex with him by pretending he had to administer ointment on the end of his penis, a jury heard yesterday (Tuesday).

Fadi Sbano, 38, even pretended to know a gynaecologist who advised him on how often to have intercourse with her and whether to thrust "slowly or quickly". And, on the "doctor's advice", he kept a clock on the bedside table to time the sessions.

The teacher put up with the treatment for nine months before telling her doctor.
advertisement

Huw Rees, prosecuting, told Swansea crown court: "The allegations here are of rape by deception."

Mr Rees said the pair met while Sbano was based at Gatwick and the teacher was working nearby.

In November, 2000, she discovered a rash of white spots and feared that typhoid, which she contracted on holiday some years before, had returned.

Sbano claimed he was in talks with a gynaecologist who was anxious for a certain cream to be applied, the prosecutor said.

"He (Sbano) suggested he would apply the cream to his penis and apply it inside her.

Mr Rees said the woman found the sessions "Clinical, not at all erotic". She consented only because she believed it was a proper treatment.

"When the insertions took place, and depending on the instructions of his friend, he would thrust slowly or quickly for anything from one to ten minutes,"

Her doctor told her to find out the identity of Sbano's gynaecologist friend but he "became evasive and never gave his name" beyond the word "Ibby".

"It began to dawn on her that he had devised this treatment in order to have sex with her on his terms."

Mr Rees said "Ibby" was traced but said he knew nothing about the treatment.

Sbano was arrested at Heathrow while attending a pilots' training facility.

He claimed the woman had invented the entire story about the "treatment".

Sbano, from Harrow, London, denies nine charges of rape and 11 or obtaining money by deception.

The trial continues.
http://thisispembrokeshire.net/display.var.1351648.0.woman_tricked_into_sex_by_cream_treatment.php

!

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2007, 09:52:21 am »
Should have checked the date:

"Penis cream" pilot walks free

A Syrian born airline pilot accused of raping a schoolteacher from Haverfordwest by deception has walked free from court after the judge suddenly halted the trial.

Judge Christopher Morton said Fadi Sbano, 38, should not face a retrial.

Judge Morton listened to legal argument by both the prosecution and defence teams before calling the jury back into Swansea crown court on Tuesday and telling them he was ending the trial. No verdicts were returned.
advertisement

He said there had been "concerns" about the conduct of the case but they did not reflect on either the prosecution or defence barristers or solicitors.

But matters had come to light which required further investigation.

Judge Morton then turned to a breach of bail by Sbano, which he admitted.

Huw Rees, prosecuting, said Sbano had been due to stand trial on September 12, 2005, but absconded.

Sbano's solicitor Nigel Richardson said he had spent a total of seven months in custody--partly because of the breach of bail--and urged the judge not to impose a further jail sentence.

Judge Morton agreed that because of the length of time he had spent on remand no separate penalty would be imposed.

During the trial, the prosecution had alleged that Sbano, from Harrow, fooled the woman into believing he could cure her herpes by having sexual intercourse with cream applied on the end of his penis.

He was also accused of deceiving both her and her mother into giving him thousands of pounds to buy the cream.

Sbano denied rape by deception and obtaining money by deception.

The trial ended before Sbano could give evidence but his barrister, Bernard Richmond QC, put it to the woman that she had invented the story.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #208 on: June 8, 2007, 08:38:36 am »
Lucky to be alive this fella, there is a good picture on the link:

Wheelchair man gets highway ride

The unidentified man was kept secure by his wheelchair's seatbelt
A wheelchair user has been taken for a high-speed ride along a US highway after his handlebars became tangled up in the front grille of a lorry.
The back of the 21-year-old man's wheelchair was scooped up as he passed in front of a lorry leaving a petrol station, Michigan state police said.

The truck driver drove off, completely unaware that he had a new passenger.

Passing motorists told police, who found the man unhurt - but still attached to the front of the truck.

He had been kept in his wheelchair by a seatbelt.

Police in the town of Paw Paw, Michigan, said the unidentified man told them "it was quite a ride", but complained only that he had spilled his soda.

The truck reached speeds of 50mph (80km/h) as it drove down the Red Arrow Highway.

After several miles the driver pulled over at the depot of a trucking company where police then told him about the man on his front end.

He refused to believe there was a man in a wheelchair stuck to the front of his truck until he saw it for himself, police said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6732003.stm

Offline WillieBob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: June 11, 2007, 12:21:04 am »
Lucky to be alive this fella, there is a good picture on the link:

Wheelchair man gets highway ride

Was just goint to post this.....there's also a video
"The Member States shall facilitate the achievement of the Union's tasks and refrain from any measure which could jeopardise the attainment of the Union's objectives."

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: June 11, 2007, 08:49:51 am »
  ^  Am amazing story, he is lucky to be alive, he is quite cool about it.

And the tyres on the wheelchair, it a miracle they lasted.

Offline WillieBob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2007, 05:59:31 pm »

Enough to make the eyes water.

Woman jailed for testicle attack

A woman who ripped off her ex-boyfriend's testicle with her bare hands has been sent to prison.

Amanda Monti, 24, flew into a rage when Geoffrey Jones, 37, rejected her advances at the end of a house party, Liverpool Crown Court heard.

She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying: "That's yours."

Monti admitted wounding and was jailed for two-and-a-half years.

'Pulled hard'

Sentencing Monti, Judge Charles James said it was "a very serious injury" and that Monti was not acting in self defence.

The court heard that Mr Jones had ended his long-term but "open relationship" with Monti towards the end of May last year.

The pair remained on good terms and on 30 May she picked him up from a party in Crosby and went back for drinks with friends at Mr Jones's house.

An argument ensued and Mr Jones said there was a struggle between them.

In his statement, Mr Jones said she grabbed his genitals and "pulled hard".

He added: "That caused my underpants to come off and I found I was completely naked and in excruciating pain."

The court heard that a friend saw Monti put Mr Jones's testicle into her mouth and try to swallow it.

She choked and spat it back into her hand before the friend grabbed it and gave it back to Mr Jones. Doctors were unable to re-attach the organ.

In a letter to the court, Monti said she was sorry for what she had done.

She said: "It was never my intention to cause harm to Geoff and the fact that I have caused him injury will live with me forever. I am in no way a violent person."

The letter added: "I have challenged myself to explain what has happened but still I just cannot remember. This has caused much anguish to me and will do for the rest of my life."
"The Member States shall facilitate the achievement of the Union's tasks and refrain from any measure which could jeopardise the attainment of the Union's objectives."

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: July 5, 2007, 06:55:34 pm »

Woman runner-up in one-horse race
A grandmother won second prize in a cake-baking contest at a fete, only to discover she was the only entrant.

Jenny Brown, 62, entered her Victoria Sponge into the competition and was initially pleased to have come second.

But she was left shocked when a friend revealed to her that she was the only person to take part.

The contest was organised by the Wimblington Sports Committee and judges marked down the cake because it had indentations from the oven rack.

'Judges' expectations'

Ms Brown said: "My friend came over to me at the fete and said I had come second.

"I asked her how many more entries there had been, but she just started laughing and said I was the only one.

"I definitely wasn't annoyed about it."

Although the cake was not deemed fit to win the competition, Ms Brown said it was soon polished off with no complaints.

Julie Dent, from the Wimblington Sports Committee, said: "The judges had an expectation and I suppose they didn't feel as though it qualified for first place.

"This was the first year but the cake competition will become an annual event."

She said her own baking was subject to another strange decision.

"About 11 years ago I entered a show with some fruit scones. I was the only entrant but I came third."

BBC
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #213 on: July 8, 2007, 05:11:34 pm »
Woman jailed for 'neglected' lawn 

A 70-year-old US woman has been left bruised and bloody after an unexpected clash with police who came to arrest her because her lawn was dry and brown.
Trouble flared when Utah pensioner Betty Perry, 70, refused to give her name to an officer trying to caution her for not watering her lawn.

She says the officer hit her with handcuffs, cutting her nose, although police insist she slipped and fell.

Ms Perry said she was "distraught" after the incident.

He's just trying to cover his tracks, as far as I'm concerned

Betty Perry

She denied that she was resisting arrest, maintaining that she turned to go inside to call her son to fix the confusing dispute.

"I tried to sit down and get away from him," she told Utah newspaper the Daily Herald.

"I don't know what he's doing. I said: 'What are you doing?' And he hit me with those handcuffs in my face," she said.

"He's just trying to cover his tracks, as far as I'm concerned."

Set free

The officer had judged that Ms Perry's "sadly neglected and dying landscape" breached an Orem city guideline and was attempting to issue a formal caution when the 70-year-old was injured.

She was treated in a local hospital for the cut to her nose and for other bruises before being taken to jail.

But she was let go when police realised there were "other ways" of finding out her identity without taking her to jail, a police spokesman said.

The arresting officer has not been named but has been placed on administrative leave, he added.

Ms Perry, who says she has never had a run-in with police in the past, has been offered help by local church leaders to clean up her garden.

"I'm very distraught over all this," she said.

"I can't believe this happened. Do you ever just wish you could start your day over and it would all be different?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6282348.stm

Offline simonh27

• Main Stander
Google is your friend if you are a safe crackers
« Reply #214 on: July 11, 2007, 11:47:14 am »
Source: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070710-criminals-confused-about-how-to-get-the-job-done-google-to-the-rescue.html
Google has become so ubiquitous in many people's daily lives that it serves as the all-encompassing information source on how to do nearly anything: jump a car, tie a tie, fold a pocket square, remove ketchup stains. Oh, and crack open a safe to steal $12,000. That's what a couple of burglars did last month in Colorado, when they broke into an indoor amusement center called Bigg City armed with the knowledge they thought they needed in order to get into a couple of safes. The burglars knew the passcodes to the safes in question but were still unable to open them after several tries, so they eventually resorted to their good friend Google to tell them how.

These burglars may not have been the sharpest tacks in the box to begin with; they attempted to cover a security camera lens not with spray paint or some other opaque agent, but the clear, cleaning properties of WD-40, and attempted to do the same to a fire alarm that they thought was a camera. But at least they were resourceful; after spending an hour and 15 minutes attempting to unsuccessfully crack the safe using their handy passcodes, according to the Colorado Springs Gazette, they used the computer in the next room to search Google for "how to crack a safe."

The Google search proved fruitful for the two burglars, as they were able to get the information they needed and walk away with $12,000 in cash as well as a PlayStation and a laptop. And despite their inept attempts to outwit the security cameras, they have not yet been arrested.

It's not the first time criminals have turned to the Internet for inspiration, and it certainly won't be the last. It's also a problem that law enforcement officials are keenly aware of.

Last year, US Department of Homeland Security head Michael Chertoff characterized the Internet as containing a plethora of terrorist resources, ranging from training to networking to fundraising. And according to the Times Online, European officials are currently considering passing legislation that would outlaw the publication of bomb-making information on the Internet. Under the current proposal, ISPs could face charges for not blocking web sites with bomb-making instructions on them. "It should simply not be possible to leave people free to instruct other people on the internet on how to make a bomb—that has nothing to do with freedom of expression," EU Justice Commissioner Franco Frattini told the Times.

Safe-cracking is a far cry from bomb making, and the Colorado burglary is comical as it involves only $12,000 and a couple of dim-witted robbers. At the same time, it serves as a reminder of the mixed blessing the Internet has proven to be for law enforcement.

...and all I use it for is to look for titties... :lickin

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
Re: Google is your friend if you are a safe crackers
« Reply #215 on: July 11, 2007, 11:49:47 am »
It's safe to say that's a cracker of a story :)
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: August 19, 2007, 11:30:34 am »
What a way to go...humped to death by a camel.

(AP) An Australian woman was killed by a pet camel given to her as a 60th birthday present after the animal apparently tried to have sex, police said Sunday.

The woman, whose name was not released, was killed Saturday at her family's sheep and cattle ranch near Mitchell, 350 miles west of the Queensland state capital Brisbane, state police Detective Senior Constable Craig Gregory said.

The 10-month-old male camel — weighing about 330 pounds — knocked the woman to the ground, lay on top of her, then exhibited what police suspect was mating behavior, Gregory said.

"I'd say it's probably been playing, or it may be even a sexual sort of thing," Gregory said, adding the camel almost suffocated the family's pet goat by straddling it on several occasions.

Camel expert Chris Hill said he had no doubt the camel's behavior was sexual.

Hill, who has offered camel rides to tourists for 20 years, said young camels are not aggressive, but can be dangerous if treated as pets without discipline.

The fate of the camel was not known.

The woman was given the camel in March as a birthday present from her husband and daughter. "She had a love of exotic pets," Gregory said.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: August 31, 2007, 05:44:30 pm »
American loonies flock to garage door. WTF ?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=450_1188520073

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: August 31, 2007, 08:17:14 pm »
American loonies flock to garage door. WTF ?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=450_1188520073

i couldn't see it - it just looked like someone had a go with a brillo pad in the middle of the door.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 22, 2007, 01:17:01 pm »
good headline:

Man 'steals iguanas in fake leg'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7007942.stm

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 22, 2007, 03:21:15 pm »
Man hides sex toys in the wurst way

Berlin - Staff at a German butcher's shop were shocked to discover a customer had hidden two sex toys in their sausages for transport to Dubai, police said Wednesday.

"It was two latex dildos with a natural look," said a spokesman for police in the southwestern city of Mannheim.

After shopping there earlier in the day, the man, who spoke broken English, returned to the butcher's with two large "Schwartenmagen" sausages. He asked a shop assistant to wrap and cool them until he departed for Dubai the next day.

But the assistant noticed the goods had got heavier and alerted police. Officers discovered the man, who was about 50, had removed some of the meat and packed the dildos inside.

"He could have used a loaf of bread," the spokesman said. "It's not against the law here. But obviously I can't speculate on what customs in Dubai will have to say about it."

China Daily
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 22, 2007, 08:00:12 pm »
    ;D   ^ i can think of a worse way

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #222 on: November 1, 2007, 12:23:44 pm »
Elephant on acid, dog head grafts and a seesaw to revive the dead

Madness or genius? Magazine compiles list of most bizarre tests ever conducted in name of scientific inquiry

Ian Sample, science correspondent
The Guardian
Thursday November 1 2007

One Friday in August 1962 Warren Thomas, director of Lincoln Park Zoo in Oklahoma City, raised his rifle and took aim at Tusko the elephant. With a squeeze of the trigger he scored a direct hit on the animal's rump, firing a cartridge full of the hallucinogenic drug LSD into the animal's bloodstream.

The dose was 3,000 times what a human might take for recreational purposes, and the results were extraordinary. Tusko charged around and trumpeted loudly for a few minutes before keeling over dead.

Thomas and his colleagues maintained the mishap was the result of a scientific experiment to investigate whether LSD brought on an unusual condition in which elephants become aggressive and secrete a sticky fluid from their glands. In a report of the incident submitted to the US journal Science four months later, the team concluded: "It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD."

The case of Tusko the elephant is among 10 of the most bizarre experiments carried out in the quest for knowledge and reported in New Scientist magazine today. If there is a fine line between madness and genius, many of those involved firmly crossed it.

One experiment in the 1960s saw 10 soldiers board an aircraft for what they believed was a routine training mission from Fort Hunter Liggett airbase in California. After climbing to around 5,000 feet the plane suddenly lurched to one side and began to fall. Over the intercom, the pilot announced: "We have an emergency. An engine has stalled and the landing gear is not functioning. I'm going to attempt to ditch in the ocean."

While the soldiers faced almost certain death, a steward handed out insurance forms and asked the men to complete them, explaining it was necessary for the army to be covered if they died.

Little did the soldiers know they were completely safe. It was merely an experiment to find out how extreme stress affects cognitive ability, the forms serving as the test. Once the final soldier had completed his form the pilot announced: "Just kidding about that emergency folks!"

A later attempt to repeat the experiment with a new group of unwitting volunteers was ruined by one of the previous soldiers, who had penned a warning on a sickbag.

One of the most gruesome experiments to make New Scientist's list was performed by the Soviet surgeon Vladimir Demikhov. In 1954 he unveiled a two-headed dog, created in the lab by grafting the head, shoulders and front legs of a puppy on to the neck of a German shepherd dog. Journalists brought in to examine the creature noted how milk dribbled from the stump of the puppy's head when it attempted to lap milk. Occasionally, the two would fight, with the German shepherd trying to shake the puppy off, and the puppy retaliating by biting back.

The unfortunate creation lived for six days, though Dr Demikhov repeated the experiment 19 more times over the next 15 years, with the longest-lived lasting a month. Although the work was dismissed as a publicity stunt outside the Soviet Union, Dr Demikhov was credited with developing intricate surgical techniques that paved the way for the first human heart transplant.

Several attempts to unravel the mysteries of human nature also make the list. Clarence Leuba, a psychologist from Yellow Springs, Ohio, set out to discover whether laughing when tickled was a learned or spontaneous reaction, and commandeered his newborn son and later daughter into the study.

Then there was Lawrence LeShan, a researcher from Virginia who in 1942 stood in a room of sleeping boys repeating the phrase "My fingernails taste terribly bitter" to see if he could break their nailbiting habit while they slept.

In another experiment, a doctor called Stubbins Ffirth from Philadelphia decided to drink fresh vomit from yellow fever patients to prove it was not a contagious disease. He claimed to be right when he failed to become ill in 1804, but scientists have since shown yellow fever is extremely contagious, but has to be transmitted directly into the bloodstream, for example from a mosquito bite.

A similarly flawed experiment by Robert Cornish at the University of California in the 1930s attempted to bring dead animals back to life by tilting them up and down on a seesaw. The few that did stir back to life momentarily after death were severely brain damaged.

Predictably, sex also appears on the magazine's list of bizarre experiments. When investigating the sexual arousal of male turkeys researchers at Penn State University were impressed to see that the birds would attempt to mate with lookalike dummies. Piece by piece they removed parts of the dummy and found that the males were still highly aroused when presented with no more than a head on a stick.

Top 10 most bizarre experiments

Elephant receives massive dose of LSD to see if it induces temporary madness.
Conclusion: LSD is fatal to elephants

Aircraft passengers told they are about to die in crash make more mistakes in written test.
Conclusion: Extreme stress harms cognitive ability

Two-headed dogs created by Soviet surgeon, above, but die within a month.
Conclusion: Tissue rejection makes animals incompatible

Psychologist begins experiments on son to test if laughing is spontaneous when tickled.
Conclusion: Laughing is an innate response to tickling

A room of nail-biting boys is played a recording or spoken announcements to break the habit while they sleep.
Conclusion: Sleep learning is possible. Others prove otherwise

To test if people can sleep through anything, volunteers have their eyes taped open and bright lights shone in their eyes.
Conclusion: The men dozed off in 12 minutes

People asked to smell ammonia, put hands in a bucket of frogs and watch porn.
Conclusion: Disgust has no single expression.

Doctor rubs vomit from yellow fever patients into open wounds and drinks it.
Conclusion: Mistakenly claims it is not infectious

Animal corpses placed on seesaw to restart circulation and bring them back to life.
Conclusion: Two animals survive with blindness and brain damage

Fake female turkey dismantled limb by limb to find minimum that a male will mate with.
Conclusion: Male turkeys aroused by a head on a stick, but not a headless body

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/nov/01/research

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #223 on: November 13, 2007, 07:56:33 am »
Quote from: Beeb
Man hurt using gun to change tyre
Changing a tyre
The man had removed all but one of the wheel nuts
A US man has injured himself in both legs after attempting to loosen a stiff wheel-nut by blasting it with his gun.

The 66-year-old man from Washington state was repairing his car outside his home when the accident took place.

Shooting at the wheel from arm's length with his 12-gauge shotgun, he was peppered with buckshot and debris.

The man - whom police say was on his own and not intoxicated - was taken to hospital with severe, but not life-threatening, injuries.

The man, from South Kitsap, 10 miles (16km) southwest of Seattle, had been repairing his Lincoln Continental for two weeks, according to the police, and had removed all but one of the nuts on the right rear wheel.

Frustrated by the one remaining nut which refused to budge, he resorted to fire power in an effort to shift it.

"He's bound and determined to get that lug nut off," said Deputy Scott Wilson, a spokesman from the sheriff's office.

He sustained injuries from his feet to the middle of his abdomen, with some pellets reaching as high as his chin, police said.

Another
Darwin award wannabe...
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2007, 08:25:54 am »
Heard a truly amazing story last night.

I was at a meeting of Vascular Surgeons from the North-West.  One of them did his presentation and it was one of the strangest I've ever heard!

He is a consultant at Wythenshawe and was on call a month ago but about to go home when he got notfication of a patient being transferred blue light from Blackpool Vic with a ruptured aortic anuerysm.  He noted the patient's name (initials MB) and his date of birth (30-11-39) then he did go home. 

The following morning he called into theatre on his return to the hospital and noted his Snr Reg was repairing an abdominal aorta on a patient who's initials were MB and had the date of birth 30-11-39.  No worries there...or so he thought! 

During that day, he got information through that the patient being transferred from Blackpool had died in the ambulance and hadn't made it to Wythenshawe.  Strange, he thought.  He went down to theatre and discovered the operation on MB had gone well and he'd been transferred back to the ward.  The surgeon looked at the notes of the transferee from Blackpool and discovered he was Martin and Michael was the one on the ward.  What are the odds?  Yes, they were identical twins!  Apparently, their 80 year-old mother had died the week before of a ruptured aortic aneurysm and this had prompted Michael to seek reassurance but they'd found he too had an aneurysm (they can run in families). 

Anyway, this is when it gets REALLY mad!  They wait for Michael to wake up and they tell him the bad news.  "Sorry about this, Michael, but your brother died last night in an ambulance on the way here."  Michael says, "Oh no, I can't believe it.  Poor Morris"!  The surgeon goes, "MORRIS!  Who's Morris?" and Michael tells him that's the name of his brother.  The surgeon says, "Who's Martin then?" and the guy says, "Oh, it's Martin who's died?  That's my other brother; we're triplets"!!!

The mother dies the week before of a ruptured aneurysm, Martin's died last night of a ruptured aneurysm, Michael has been found to have a big aneurysm about to burst; guess what they did next?

So they ask Michael where Morris lives but he tells them he doesn't know.  Due to a family bust up years ago, they all split up and they lost track of him. 

A radio appeal goes out as it's now crucial they get this guy before he bleeds to death.  Eventually, he gets tracked down to Lincoln and is told to get to a hospital as fast as he can.  There he's told the news about his brothers and they do a scan to discover......it was absolutely normal!

Then he went on to tell us the only difference between this chap and his two brothers and mother was...go on, can you guess?

That's right, Morris was a non-smoker.  The only one of the four never to have smoked and that's the crucial difference between them all! 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 09:42:01 am by MBE »
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 13, 2007, 10:08:01 am »
Then he went on to tell us the only difference between this chap and his two brothers and mother was...go on, can you guess?

That's right, Morris was a non-smoker.  The only one of the four never to have smoked and that's the crucial difference between them all! 

Balls.

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 13, 2007, 10:10:01 am »
Balls.

100% true.  And I can prove it! 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: November 13, 2007, 10:42:24 am »
100% true.  And I can prove it! 

I don't believe that a family of four can lose three people in the space of a week purely due to smoking. It sounds like a really bad chain email started by those fruit loops at ASH.

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: November 13, 2007, 10:57:55 am »
I don't believe that a family of four can lose three people in the space of a week purely due to smoking. It sounds like a really bad chain email started by those fruit loops at ASH.

Don't believe all you like but it was presented at the M60 meeting of Vascular Surgeons at the Novotel, Worsley and is now in the public domain.  Furthermore, what I didn't mention (due to longevity) was that the SHO involved was so intriqued, he did some genetic tests and identified one of the two specific genes responsible for producing aortic aneurysms and proved conclusively they were damaged by a specific substance in nicotine in all three cases.

Send me your e-mail address and once this is published (it will be on their new website once they've written it up) I will stop your scepticism on this once and for all. 
'That's why I wrote it up as it was so unusual.  You think I just came on and made a load of old guff up?  I'm not that good a story teller! 

Oh, and they didn't lose three people, only two or didn't you read it all? 

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #229 on: November 14, 2007, 08:50:56 am »
Man 'marries' dog to beat curse 

The "bride" wore a sari and a garland.

Enlarge Image

An Indian man has "married" a female dog, hoping the move will help atone for stoning two other dogs to death.
P Selvakumar, 33, said he had been cursed since the killings, suffering paralysis and a loss of hearing.

The wedding took place at a Hindu temple in Tamil Nadu state. The "bride" wore an orange sari with a flower garland and was fed a bun to celebrate.

Superstitious people in rural India sometimes organise weddings to animals in the hope of warding off curses.

'Tried every cure'

Crowds cheered the newly-weds at the end of the ceremony in Sivaganga district, about 50km (30 miles) east of the city of Madurai.

The "bride", who is called Selvi, was led to the temple in Manamudurai wearing a sari before vows were exchanged in a traditional Hindu ceremony.

A relative of the groom who attended the wedding said he hoped Mr Selvakumar would now be cured.

"Fifteen years back Selvakumar was physically fit. But, once he attacked a pair of dogs and thereafter Kumar could not move his limbs freely," the relative, Ramu, told the BBC.

"He tried every cure for his ailment but could not be rid of his disability.

"On the advice of an astrologer and others, he decided to marry a bitch to get cured. Then we arranged Selvakumar's marriage with a bitch."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7093422.stm

Ehm the relative said nothing about marrying a dog....... ;) :P
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #230 on: November 14, 2007, 10:02:14 am »
Good anecdote by MBE above.

Cue, that Bride looks a dog jokes.

I like the idea of replacing an expensive dress, dinner reception and honeymoon with an orange sari and a bun for the bride. Let's hope this catches on over here.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Live4pool

• Legacy Fan
Man Marries Dog
« Reply #231 on: November 14, 2007, 01:26:05 pm »
though i think the headline should read 'Astrologer in Worlds Best Practical Joke'

Man 'marries' dog to beat curse 

The "bride" wore a sari and a garland.

An Indian man has "married" a female dog, hoping the move will help atone for stoning two other dogs to death.
P Selvakumar, 33, said he had been cursed since the killings, suffering paralysis and a loss of hearing.

The wedding took place at a Hindu temple in Tamil Nadu state. The "bride" wore an orange sari with a flower garland and was fed a bun to celebrate.

Superstitious people in rural India sometimes organise weddings to animals in the hope of warding off curses.

'Tried every cure'

Crowds cheered the newly-weds at the end of the ceremony in Sivaganga district, about 50km (30 miles) east of the city of Madurai.

The "bride", who is called Selvi, was led to the temple in Manamudurai wearing a sari before vows were exchanged in a traditional Hindu ceremony.

A relative of the groom who attended the wedding said he hoped Mr Selvakumar would now be cured.

"Fifteen years back Selvakumar was physically fit. But, once he attacked a pair of dogs and thereafter Kumar could not move his limbs freely," the relative, Ramu, told the BBC.

"He tried every cure for his ailment but could not be rid of his disability.

"On the advice of an astrologer and others, he decided to marry a bitch to get cured. Then we arranged Selvakumar's marriage with a bitch."

hwahhahaaaah  ;D
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: November 15, 2007, 10:27:01 pm »

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2008, 07:07:46 pm »
Not a story but a very funny clip  ;D
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=282_1199939108

Offline RED-EAZY

• Kopite
« Reply #234 on: January 15, 2008, 12:18:47 pm »
http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/more-top-news/Sheep-stolen-from-field.3670115.jp

the last line had me in stitches, wonder how long it took them to make an e-fit
We don't need Gerrard against madrid anyway, they are shite

Offline Mackinaw Peach

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Wigan address
« Reply #235 on: February 3, 2008, 06:22:17 pm »

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #236 on: March 13, 2008, 12:07:29 pm »
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23453952-details/Woman+rescued+after+being+stuck+on+boyfriend%27s+toilet+for+two+years/article.do

Woman rescued after sitting on boyfriend's toilet for TWO YEARS
Last updated at 11:37am on 13.03.08

Add your view

Stuck: The woman spent so long on the toilet her skin had grown around the seat

A woman had to be rescued by emergency services after being stuck on her boyfriend's toilet for two years.

The 35-year-old's skin had grown around the seat and her legs had wasted away.

Her boyfriend, 36, would bring her food and water and ask her whether she was ready to come out of the bathroom.

She would reply, "maybe tomorrow", according to police in Kansas, U.S.

He finally called in police and medics who found her on the toilet with her jogging bottoms pulled down to mid-thigh.

She was "somewhat disoriented" and her legs looked like they had wasted away, Sheriff Bryan Whipple said.

"She said that she didn't need any help, that she was okay and did not want to leave," he said.

"We pried the toilet seat off with a pry bar and the seat went with her to the hospital.

"The hospital removed it."

Mr Whipple said investigators were deciding whether any charges should be filed against the man.

He added: "According to him, she did not want to leave the bathroom.

"She was not glued. She was not tied. She was just physically stuck by her body.

"It is hard to imagine - I still have a hard time imagining it myself."

The boyfriend called police on 27 February to report that "there was something wrong with his girlfriend" but never explained why it took him two years to call.

Police have not identified the couple, of Ness City, Kansas.

Neighbour James Ellis said the woman had a difficult childhood after her mother died, adding: "I don't think anybody can make any sense out of it."

"It really doesn't surprise me," Ellis said.

"What surprises me is somebody wasn't called in a bit earlier."

Offline sabbathfan

• Every Day I Like Sunday
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why So Serious?
Sheriff: US woman sat on boyfriend's toilet for 2 years; didn't want to leave bathroom

From MSN

Authorities are considering charges in the bizarre case of a woman who sat on her boyfriend's toilet for two years _ so long that her body was stuck to the seat by the time the man finally called police.

It appeared the 35-year-old Ness City woman's skin had grown around the seat, said Ness County Sheriff Bryan Whipple. The woman initially refused emergency medical services but was finally convinced by responders and her boyfriend that she needed to be checked out at a hospital.

Police declined to release the couple's names, but the boyfriend, Kory McFarren, agreed to be interviewed Wednesday by The Associated Press. He identified his girlfriend as Pam Babcock.

The 36-year-old McFarren told investigators he took Babcock food and water and asked her every day to come out of the bathroom.

???
There is probably no GOD. Stop worrying about it and LIVE your LIFE

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
That fucking hicks
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe