Author Topic: Re: Liverpool Women FC (home vs Chelsea - 01/05 - 19:00 ko) (*)  (Read 597399 times)

Offline LeoT

• ayer - makes me feel like daaaancin'...... Is now officially a wannabeliever......
  • Anny Roader
  • My cup is barely even half empty
Re: Liverpool Women (*)
« Reply #3400 on: June 8, 2021, 10:20:30 am »
Women’s football is already cheap as chips and it’s hard to see what else FSG should be doing. People just don’t want to watch women’s football in significant numbers.

As far as I am concerned, it’s only the men’s team that matters. Anything that gets in the way of or takes resources away from that is a no no.

Let the women’s team spend whatever it generates and whatever amount we can spare without affecting the first team. If that means the women’s team is second rate I honestly couldn’t care less.

I've heard this point of view a number of times, I don't agree with you but I totally understand you.
Its totally possible for a Liverpool fan to feel no real connection to the women's team whilst still being a genuine passionate fan.
In the same way I feel very little connection to the u18 or u23s, I've only ever been to watch one Liverpool u23 match in my whole life.

If I'm honest, I think the issue is; womens football is different to mens football in terms of pace and physicality.
This often causes some fans to not engage, or take it seriously.

It is very un-PC to say this, and not very WOKE, however I will say it anyway (...sorry in advance, I mean no offence).

Men are equal to women, however physically different.
Men just can't do some of the things that women can do, and women can't do some of the things that men can do.

Sorry if I offended anyone with that, I honestly mean no offence, just need you to understand my (archaic, now unfashionable) point of view.

With that in mind I love the womens game. I've been to watch way more Liverpool womens games than Liverpool mens games.

The elite men are mostly just as skillful as the elite women.
Mostly the women can't jump as high as the men, and in general are not as tall as the men, so the womens' game has more shooting from outside the box.
The women are just as aggressive as the men, just as competitive.
The men are just as tactically aware as the Women.

If you watch the womens game expecting it to be the same as the mens game you will be disappointed.
If you watch the womens game understanding the differences, its mostly way more entertaining than the mens game.

....Just my opinion.
My cup is barely even half empty

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #3401 on: June 8, 2021, 11:23:45 am »
I feel very little connection to the u18 or u23s, I've only ever been to watch one Liverpool u23 match in my whole life.
As ever, when it comes to opinions, it's often more about how than what........

So, your point above about u18 or u23 - you wouldn't dismiss them out of hand as a costly irrelevance or distraction would you? No.

From the moderation viewpoint, the debate should happen - but not at the expense of respect for entire set ups wearing the badge. That was the principle issue I had with that poster. The number 168 has some viewpoints too which have been challenged and, albeit it's a little frosty, it doesn't cross any lines.

If I still lived in the UK, I'd go to as many Women's and Men's games as I could (#ynwa and #twal are the same for me) as I actually really enjoy the differences!!!!! Same sport, different games - it's joyful to watch - yet it's painful to hear the same, tired old arguments.

And I don't think FSG take it seriously enough.

Get on to LinkedIn and read the views of someone like Tiffeny Millbrett, Rebecca White or Bianca Rechs, all of whom I had the distinct honour to know, watch and converse with when they played elite women's football in the top tier in Sweden for Skellefteå AIK (whose youth team I had the privilege to coach for a few years - especially the goalies - one of whom played in the men's team for league games when they had a keeper crisis - she was far, far, far, far better than them - sorry Niklas but it's true mate ;) )

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3402 on: June 8, 2021, 05:03:15 pm »
I've heard this point of view a number of times, I don't agree with you but I totally understand you.
Its totally possible for a Liverpool fan to feel no real connection to the women's team whilst still being a genuine passionate fan.
In the same way I feel very little connection to the u18 or u23s, I've only ever been to watch one Liverpool u23 match in my whole life.

If I'm honest, I think the issue is; womens football is different to mens football in terms of pace and physicality.
This often causes some fans to not engage, or take it seriously.

It is very un-PC to say this, and not very WOKE, however I will say it anyway (...sorry in advance, I mean no offence).

Men are equal to women, however physically different.
Men just can't do some of the things that women can do, and women can't do some of the things that men can do.

Sorry if I offended anyone with that, I honestly mean no offence, just need you to understand my (archaic, now unfashionable) point of view.

With that in mind I love the womens game. I've been to watch way more Liverpool womens games than Liverpool mens games.

The elite men are mostly just as skillful as the elite women.
Mostly the women can't jump as high as the men, and in general are not as tall as the men, so the womens' game has more shooting from outside the box.
The women are just as aggressive as the men, just as competitive.
The men are just as tactically aware as the Women.

If you watch the womens game expecting it to be the same as the mens game you will be disappointed.
If you watch the womens game understanding the differences, its mostly way more entertaining than the mens game.

....Just my opinion.
You haven't said anything offensive.

The first people to acknowledge the physical differences are those of the women's game, whether it be the players, coaches, pundits, fans. Nobody makes out like the difference isn't there. It's actually the opposite, it's highlighted.

But those who are not of the women's game like to make out those who are pretend the difference is not a thing just so they can argue it is.

Those who are of the women's game: there is a difference, but women's football is not inherently a lesser game because of it.
Those who are not of the women's game: there is a difference, and women's football is inherently a lesser game because of it.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3403 on: June 8, 2021, 05:42:39 pm »
Those who are not of the women's game: there is a difference, and women's football is inherently a lesser game because of it.
Nailed it right there and echoes much of what I've seen and heard from within and from outside the women's game.

There's a reason this thread was starred from the beginning. It's a sad indictment that such a need is still prevalent. It's not "just" about misogyny either, it's a much, much wider issue.

As it goes though, this is meant to be a thread to support the women's team that bears the name of our club. Anyone not interested in supporting the team should not bother exercising their "right" to criticise.

Just because one has the right to do something, it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3404 on: June 8, 2021, 05:52:39 pm »
I've already posted this answer somewhere. It 'isn't worth watching' - as a direct comparison to men's football, which is what people mean when they state this view - because it is decades behind in its development and playing catch up.

That is all very logical and an aspiration nobody would want to challenge, however it needs all owners at every level to invest in their women's teams to achieve a general standard of football that would attract decent crowds. I doubt that would happen even with the most altruistic of owners as substantial financial investment needs returns which, if they did happen, would be along time in coming.

I recall getting all Central League games free as part of my Anfield Road season ticket many moons ago. I would go occasionally if say a big name player was returning from injury or it was the mini-Derby otherwise it wasn't worth the long bus ride to Spellow Lane, crossing the park and the return home especially if the weather was bad. The standard was OK but simlpy not attractive enough compared wuth the first team. The current women's game is similar I think, OK but is it worth the hassle of going and forking out even a fiver? Not for many currently, and even with the investment you suggest will people go in substantial numbers even if the quality of play improved? I am not criticising the women or people who go and watch them, just not convinced that it will ever become a financial success.

Offline LeoT

• ayer - makes me feel like daaaancin'...... Is now officially a wannabeliever......
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3405 on: June 8, 2021, 06:10:34 pm »
Those who are of the women's game: there is a difference, but women's football is not inherently a lesser game because of it.

I think elite womens football is often a better game to watch than a mens game, because of the differences.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3406 on: June 8, 2021, 06:22:51 pm »
Technically elite women's footballers are on par with their male counter parts with the probable exception of goalkeeping. It's their physical differences that set them apart only.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3407 on: June 8, 2021, 06:39:57 pm »
Technically elite women's footballers are on par with their male counter parts with the probable exception of goalkeeping. It's their physical differences that set them apart only.
Slightly disagree with that being the only key difference. It's almost certainly the main one but I've experienced too, at all levels, is a difference in mentality that is hard to describe. It's got something to do with a difference in the emotional connection to why they play....

.... although I agree with the goalie thing. Really exceptional keepers are a rarity still.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3408 on: June 8, 2021, 06:47:50 pm »
Slightly disagree with that being the only key difference. It's almost certainly the main one but I've experienced too, at all levels, is a difference in mentality that is hard to describe. It's got something to do with a difference in the emotional connection to why they play....

.... although I agree with the goalie thing. Really exceptional keepers are a rarity still.

Ah sorry Jim I wasn't clear mate, I meant their technical skills on the ball. They're truly elite in that sense.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3409 on: June 14, 2021, 01:58:59 pm »
I remember the same debate years ago about Womens rugby. Now if I had the choice, I'd watch Worcester men - and thats purely because its my preference - but having watched the Worcester Women and know a few of them that have gone to play for England, its easy to see that with investment the standard will improve.

The first time I went to see the women, I was expecting the type of game you'd see kids playing - I was blown away by the technical and physical ability of the players. It certainly made me rethink my opinion on the womens game.

It's the same with football. Give it the time and investment needed and the level will increase at pace. Treat them as full time professional athletes and not people doing a weekend hobby. The one main issue I see at the moment is the massive gulf between Man City/Chelsea and every other womens team. I'm not as into it as some of you guys so can't really comment - but I assume Chelsea and City put "decent" money into their teams?

As for what FSG can do? They can't physically drag people through the turn styles to watch, but by investing in the squad, the infrastructure and maybe getting one or two global stars, people will start to watch. I long for the day that I have a child who asks to go and watch football. And the first games I'll be taking them too will most likely be a womans game.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3410 on: June 14, 2021, 06:51:22 pm »
I remember the same debate years ago about Womens rugby. Now if I had the choice, I'd watch Worcester men - and thats purely because its my preference - but having watched the Worcester Women and know a few of them that have gone to play for England, its easy to see that with investment the standard will improve.

The first time I went to see the women, I was expecting the type of game you'd see kids playing - I was blown away by the technical and physical ability of the players. It certainly made me rethink my opinion on the womens game.

It's the same with football. Give it the time and investment needed and the level will increase at pace. Treat them as full time professional athletes and not people doing a weekend hobby. The one main issue I see at the moment is the massive gulf between Man City/Chelsea and every other womens team. I'm not as into it as some of you guys so can't really comment - but I assume Chelsea and City put "decent" money into their teams?

As for what FSG can do? They can't physically drag people through the turn styles to watch, but by investing in the squad, the infrastructure and maybe getting one or two global stars, people will start to watch. I long for the day that I have a child who asks to go and watch football. And the first games I'll be taking them too will most likely be a womans game.
They do by English standards. Last time I saw a Europe-wide comparison, they were still behind the likes of Lyon by a fair few million. Others are emerging as big spenders too, relatively speaking. I'm not entirely sure what today's picture is with any real certainty. I'd guess we've probably been spending a third of what Chelsea do. But it's likely a choice to live within our means and try to balance books (which is made trickier by us not being as attractively positioned) whereas some clubs simply don't care for doing it that way.

Chelsea's project is about nine years in the making, it wasn't always the case that they were up there. It's been a steadily increased commitment to get them the CL final. In theory, spend enough and it doesn't take nine years for us to close the gap. I just don't think that approach is particularly FSG, though.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3411 on: June 14, 2021, 06:52:49 pm »
New contract for Kearns. No duration mentioned as per our norm  ;D

Hopefully this next week is announcement after announcement.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/women/436512-missy-bo-kearns-signs-new-contract-with-lfc-women

Offline LeoT

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3412 on: June 15, 2021, 12:20:40 pm »
They do by English standards. Last time I saw a Europe-wide comparison, they were still behind the likes of Lyon by a fair few million. Others are emerging as big spenders too, relatively speaking. I'm not entirely sure what today's picture is with any real certainty. I'd guess we've probably been spending a third of what Chelsea do. But it's likely a choice to live within our means and try to balance books (which is made trickier by us not being as attractively positioned) whereas some clubs simply don't care for doing it that way.

Chelsea's project is about nine years in the making, it wasn't always the case that they were up there. It's been a steadily increased commitment to get them the CL final. In theory, spend enough and it doesn't take nine years for us to close the gap. I just don't think that approach is particularly FSG, though.

I think this is related to the other story in the press today about the billions of pounds that Premiere league clubs have lost in the last year because of the pandemic.

It is important to note that outside of football, most organizations fall into one of these categories because of the pandemic.

- Lost so much money that they narrowly avoided folding (Travel companies, Pub chains, Cinemas, etc...)
 - lost a small amount of money, but got by (Chip shops, Garages, DIY stores).
 - broke even and were virtually unaffected (Corner shops, supermarkets, etc...)
 - made a huge profit out of the pandemic (Zoom, Amazon, PPE manufacturers, etc...).

FSG rely quite heavily on bums on seats in sporting stadiums, and burghers and beverage sales at those sporting events.
Virtually no income for well over a year, with <10,000 fans in a 55,000 seat stadium, a hand-full of times in a year, and that story is repeated through out their business, world over.

I would guess that the Oil rich owners of Chelsea and ManC did better out of the pandemic than our Sports event owners.

I hate the fact that FSG haven't seemed to invest in the Mens or Womens team over that last year, but I kinda understand why.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 12:24:24 pm by LeoT »

Offline gkmacca

• Kopite
« Reply #3413 on: June 17, 2021, 10:08:26 am »

The general standard of goalkeeping does puzzle me. There's no reason why a female goalkeeper should not be able to leap high, have quick recovery and power, but there are still some who seem about ten years behind the outfield players in terms of fitness, physique and technique. Ours have been pretty poor so far.

Offline LeoT

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3414 on: June 18, 2021, 06:21:41 pm »
The general standard of goalkeeping does puzzle me. There's no reason why a female goalkeeper should not be able to leap high, have quick recovery and power, but there are still some who seem about ten years behind the outfield players in terms of fitness, physique and technique. Ours have been pretty poor so far.

Women have fat in different places to men, and in general less muscles, and are on average general shorter. This equates to more shots from outside the box because the women keepers in general can'tr jump as high as the men, so can be lobbed more easily.  I think of this as a good feature of the womens' game.

I disagree about our keepers, I think both of our keepers this season have been better than our previous keeper, though no keeper can be totally error free.

Offline LeoT

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3415 on: June 18, 2021, 06:23:31 pm »

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3416 on: June 22, 2021, 02:26:37 pm »
Liverpool FC Women sign forward Leanne Kiernan

The 22-year-old Irish international spent the last three seasons with West Ham United in the Women’s Super League.

A striker who can also play as a winger, Kiernan began her career with Shelbourne in her native Ireland, where she was a league and cup winner.

It was Liverpool FC Women manager Matt Beard who brought Kiernan to West Ham during his stint with the Hammers, and he is delighted to make her part of his Reds squad.

Beard told Liverpoolfc.com: “Leanne’s a versatile forward, she’s very quick and can score goals inside and outside the box.

“She’s an infectious personality and one of the biggest aspects is her work rate and how she conducts herself as I think it’s something we need in this league.

“I signed her when she was 18, she’s grown up a lot over those three years and I think this is a good move for her and for us. I’m looking forward to seeing what she can produce this year.”

Kiernan, who hails from County Cavan, said she was looking forward to joining up with her new teammates in red.

“I’ve played as a winger for the last three years and I play as a striker for my country,” she detailed. “I just can’t wait to get back out there on the pitch with my new teammates and settle in with my new family here at Liverpool.

“The club is a great name and it definitely has great ambition. I really enjoyed the phone call with Beardie, and it grabbed me towards Liverpool and it’s just an exciting time to be here.”

Kiernan is the first signing of the summer window for LFC Women.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/women/436750-liverpool-fc-women-sign-forward-leanne-kiernan#

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3417 on: June 22, 2021, 02:28:19 pm »
Some little developments on where our departing players have gone:

Clarke and SBA both to Sheffield. Thestrup to PSV. Linnett has retired (I think she's 27?)

Offline LeoT

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3418 on: June 22, 2021, 03:12:52 pm »

That's  great news.
Welcome Leanne, hope you set the world alight here at Liverpool.

I vaguely remember seeing her on that "England's Youngest Football Boss"  (...or  whatever it was called)  West Ham TV series.
Though I'm not aware of her starting any of the televised WSL games west ham played in.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3419 on: June 23, 2021, 05:46:10 pm »
Yana Daniels seals return to Liverpool FC Women

LFC Women manager Matt Beard, who worked with Daniels at Bristol City last season, said: “Yana’s a great player, first and foremost. She’s a little bit different to the players we have in the front positions at the moment.

“Yana can come in off the line, she’s good in the air, she’s a very technically gifted football player and she can create and score goals.

“This is a unique football club and Yana’s experience of being here before and understanding the pressures and what it means to be a Liverpool football player is something else we took into account.

“She was outstanding for me at Bristol and she’s a great person as well.”Liverpool FC Women have completed the signing of Belgium international Yana Daniels.

The 29-year-old winger returns to the club after two seasons with Bristol City Women in the Women’s Super League.

Daniels – who previously spent the 2018-19 campaign with the Reds in the WSL – has considerable international experience having scored seven goals in 44 appearances for the Belgian Red Flames.

Daniels herself had no doubts about making the return to LFC Women after a few years away.

She said: “It feels good to be back! I enjoyed my time at Bristol City and it was a tough end to the season there.

“The style Matt plays just suits me, I like it and I just feel comfortable with the way he wants to play.

“To come back here and try to help put this club where it belongs, and the philosophy of Matt, just suits me. I believe that he can achieve something big here with his ability as a manager.

“I’m looking forward to meeting all the girls. There’s still a few around from a few years ago when I was here so it feels like home and I’m excited to meet the new players.”

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/women/436817-yana-daniels-seals-return-to-liverpool-fc-women

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #3420 on: June 24, 2021, 05:06:01 pm »
Sounds like she should be related to Yan Dhanda - one of my favourite Liverpool names, along with Barry Venison and Paul Walsh

Sounds also like we are chucking money at the women’s team to get back up?

Offline LeoT

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3421 on: June 24, 2021, 05:55:07 pm »
They're like waiting for busses.
Wait weeks for 1 signing, then they all turn up at the same time...

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/women/436883-liverpool-fc-women-sign-megan-campbell

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3422 on: June 24, 2021, 06:11:48 pm »
They're like waiting for busses.
Wait weeks for 1 signing, then they all turn up at the same time...
To be fair, we have had six months to be putting piece into place. It's why I was reluctant to get pissy at the club taking so long to appoint the manager. Everything done after Jepson left was for 2021/22. I'm not surprised a load of incomings have happened so closely together.

There's a fourth player already known, too. Emma Sanders BBC confirmed Jasmine Matthews earlier today. Also from Bristol.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3423 on: June 24, 2021, 06:23:25 pm »
I'm worried about getting too many players in from Brizzle.............

...........cos the rest of the squad will need subtitles to understand 'em! ;D

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #3424 on: June 24, 2021, 07:49:31 pm »
Have to say, it looks like the club are backing Matt Beard.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #3425 on: June 24, 2021, 08:38:36 pm »
I'm worried about getting too many players in from Brizzle.............

...........cos the rest of the squad will need subtitles to understand 'em! ;D
One of my best mates is from Bristol. I find the accent easy to understand. Probably easier to understand than broad scouse for those not local to Liverpool or Bristol.
It's like Ian Holloway v. Carra  ;D

Also don't say 'Brizzle' in Bristol. The locals hate it. The born n bred Bristolians. They say it was invented by Hipsters.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3426 on: June 24, 2021, 08:54:41 pm »
One of my best mates is from Bristol. I find the accent easy to understand. Probably easier to understand than broad scouse for those not local to Liverpool or Bristol.
It's like Ian Holloway v. Carra  ;D

Also don't say 'Brizzle' in Bristol. The locals hate it. The born n bred Bristolians. They say it was invented by Hipsters.
I lived there in 1994 for a year. Hated it with a passion, apart from The Blue Mountain and St Paul's.

The term "hipster" most definitely wasn't around.

Oh and I had the pleasure of meeting the the team in 2011 after playing Bristol. It was the closest game to where I was living then. Cornwall. Even worse accent there...

Matt Beard and Joe Potts were sound that day. We won too...

One RAWKite had a sister playing in that game for us. I forget the name. It's probably in one of the early pages of this thread ;)

Offline LeoT

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3427 on: June 25, 2021, 12:03:17 am »
To be fair, we have had six months to be putting piece into place. It's why I was reluctant to get pissy at the club taking so long to appoint the manager. Everything done after Jepson left was for 2021/22. I'm not surprised a load of incomings have happened so closely together.

There's a fourth player already known, too. Emma Sanders BBC confirmed Jasmine Matthews earlier today. Also from Bristol.

What is it about Daniels and Matthews?  do they share an agent or something?
They both seem to be yoyo-ing between Liverpool and Bristol.

I'm surprised at the defensive signings, when our defense was pretty mean last season.
I get the signings of Kiernan (replacing Thestrop), Daniels (for Linnett), and just about get Campbell (for Becky Jane).

But I don't get why we would also want Matthews???
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 12:08:47 am by LeoT »

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3428 on: June 25, 2021, 08:37:35 am »
What is it about Daniels and Matthews?  do they share an agent or something?
They both seem to be yoyo-ing between Liverpool and Bristol.

I'm surprised at the defensive signings, when our defense was pretty mean last season.
I get the signings of Kiernan (replacing Thestrop), Daniels (for Linnett), and just about get Campbell (for Becky Jane).

But I don't get why we would also want Matthews???
Matthews can do a job at DM, though she's usually found at CB.

I don't know what the plan is for Robe. She was playing LB season before last and I think she only got moved into the middle to fill the gap made by SBA not being available. If Beard wants her back as a FB option primarily, then it only leaves us with Fahey and Moore at CB, so there's room for Matthews. But there would be a lot of versatility/cover in the FB/CB/DM positions with Matthews, Moore and Robe all in the same squad. Moore is going to the Olympics.

Campbell/Hinds/Robe for FB. We were having to put square pegs in round holes here a bit last season. All these of three are more recognised as LBs which isn't ideal, but I think Robe was at least in at RCB and she never looked fazed at all. Don't really understand why she was taken out of the team to be honest. If she is the 'replacement' for Jane then I don't think it's that daft a move.

We're five outs and only four known ins at this point. So I think there's still another attacker to come to replace Clarke's presence [I'm going to do what I do every summer and hope it's Dowie]. We got 14(?) games out of Rodgers, so that work needs adding back in, but it might actually be Matthews in a roundabout way.

If Babajide isn't staying, then maybe someone in her place too.

I think we'll end up at least five out/five in by the end the window. Maybe 6/6 depending on Babajide.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3429 on: June 25, 2021, 09:13:54 am »
Serious question, and I'm not taking the piss, but is that not a marketing/branding thing......i.e. seeing the women's team as a separate 'brand' from the men's? I know that's ridiculous (as in men and women are equally marketable to regardless of it's women or men playing!!) - just wondering what their rationale might be.....

I think it *used* to be a branding thing but clubs stopped doing that (other than us). I think integrating mens/womens football as much as possible will only serve to strengthen the womens' game.
YNWA.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3430 on: June 25, 2021, 09:19:18 am »
Also, as a general response to that argument against funding the womens' team better, I think that's a pretty outdated view.

Most elite clubs have been putting more effort and money into the womens' game. There is definitely an increase in interest in it too - of course not to the scale of the mens' team, but certainly enough to start investing in our team enough to get into the top league again. The quality of the football is often perceived to be poor, but that's just thinly veiled misogynist rubbish.

The game has a lot more women involved now: lineswomen, pundits, commentators, journalists - there are a LOT of women. It can only be a good thing to invest in LFC's womens' team to inspire women too. Cheap tickets, 90 minutes of football, I see no issue.

Also, we often tout ourselves as a particularly progressive/socialist club - maybe we should start supporting our women better too.

YNWA.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3431 on: June 25, 2021, 01:29:35 pm »
Jasmine Matthews completes return to Liverpool FC Women

The 28-year-old returns to the club after two seasons with Bristol City in the Women’s Super League.

Matthews, who spent the 2018-19 campaign with the Reds, is a versatile player who can operate both as a defender or in midfield.

She will reunite with LFC Women boss Matt Beard, who managed her at Bristol City last season.

She told Liverpoolfc.com: “I’m delighted to be back. When I knew Matt was coming to Liverpool it was always on the radar to come back.

“I loved playing in front of the fans here, they build up a great atmosphere and I had a great relationship with the girls.

“Working with Matt at Bristol, he really got the best out of me so when we had a conversation it was always going to be a no-brainer.”

Beard said: “Jas is a very, very good footballer, she surprised me. She reads the game really well, technically she’s gifted, she can pass the ball well and she’s got great vision.

“She knows the football club, she’s versatile and can play centre-back or midfield, and she’s going to be a really good asset to the squad.”

Matthews, who will wear the No.6 shirt, has many years of WSL experience and has her sights set on trying to return the club to the higher reaches of the women’s game.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/women/436964-jasmine-matthews-completes-return-to-liverpool-fc-women

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3432 on: June 25, 2021, 01:32:52 pm »
Some of the comments under the signings because the main LFC account retweets them are just dickheads saying" What about the mens team" and "Why FSG spending money on women".  :butt :butt

Offline LeoT

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3433 on: June 26, 2021, 02:53:30 pm »
Matthews can do a job at DM, though she's usually found at CB.

I don't know what the plan is for Robe. She was playing LB season before last and I think she only got moved into the middle to fill the gap made by SBA not being available. If Beard wants her back as a FB option primarily, then it only leaves us with Fahey and Moore at CB, so there's room for Matthews. But there would be a lot of versatility/cover in the FB/CB/DM positions with Matthews, Moore and Robe all in the same squad. Moore is going to the Olympics.

Campbell/Hinds/Robe for FB. We were having to put square pegs in round holes here a bit last season. All these of three are more recognised as LBs which isn't ideal, but I think Robe was at least in at RCB and she never looked fazed at all. Don't really understand why she was taken out of the team to be honest. If she is the 'replacement' for Jane then I don't think it's that daft a move.

We're five outs and only four known ins at this point. So I think there's still another attacker to come to replace Clarke's presence [I'm going to do what I do every summer and hope it's Dowie]. We got 14(?) games out of Rodgers, so that work needs adding back in, but it might actually be Matthews in a roundabout way.

If Babajide isn't staying, then maybe someone in her place too.

I think we'll end up at least five out/five in by the end the window. Maybe 6/6 depending on Babajide.

I wonder what our first choice lineup will be this season, maybe something like this????

Laws
Roberts - Moore - Fahey - Campbell
Bailey - Holland
Lawley - Furney - Daniels
Kiernan

With these on the bench
Foster
Robe
Hinds
Matthews
Missy Bo Kearns
Babajide
Hodson

Offline gkmacca

• Kopite
« Reply #3434 on: June 28, 2021, 04:48:41 pm »
Women have fat in different places to men, and in general less muscles, and are on average general shorter. This equates to more shots from outside the box because the women keepers in general can'tr jump as high as the men, so can be lobbed more easily.  I think of this as a good feature of the womens' game.

I disagree about our keepers, I think both of our keepers this season have been better than our previous keeper, though no keeper can be totally error free.

Female athletes have achieved all kinds of physical feats through special training, coaching and application. I don't think 'having fat in different places' really works as an answer (the fans certainly have fat in different places, often in their arses and heads). I think a female keeper who really worked on her fitness and training would pretty soon get impressive results.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3435 on: June 28, 2021, 07:14:23 pm »
I think a female keeper who really worked on her fitness and training would pretty soon get impressive results.

You don't think they do that now?

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3436 on: June 30, 2021, 07:53:27 am »
Preseason is underway

There's some images on the club website but there's a lot more of them on Getty

No Babajide, so I guess she's gone?

And I don't mean to turn this into the new kit thread... but I hope what the staff are wearing is a case of us just not taking stock of their shorts yet  :-X

Offline LeoT

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3437 on: June 30, 2021, 02:22:28 pm »
Preseason is underway

There's some images on the club website but there's a lot more of them on Getty

No Babajide, so I guess she's gone?

And I don't mean to turn this into the new kit thread... but I hope what the staff are wearing is a case of us just not taking stock of their shorts yet  :-X

Yes, I noticed no Babajide too, I'd hoped she'd have got some reconciliation by now, but it doesn't look that way. (...new striker please)

Also, no Furney, I guess she's still injured.

I didn't notice Campbell either, maybe she's caring a knock already???

Finally, Who's the player in the 4th photo? ...I don't recognize her.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/women/437088-photos-pre-season-training-under-way-for-lfc-women

Offline LeoT

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3438 on: June 30, 2021, 02:48:49 pm »
Female athletes have achieved all kinds of physical feats through special training, coaching and application. I don't think 'having fat in different places' really works as an answer (the fans certainly have fat in different places, often in their arses and heads). I think a female keeper who really worked on her fitness and training would pretty soon get impressive results.

I've no doubt that our keepers (and all of the other players) do work really hard in training.

Female athletes do achieve amazing things, however it would be foolish to ignore each individual's natural potential.
Just look at  the world record for High Jump, Long Jump, and Triple Jump, look at the figures for men and then compare each with the record for Women.
It doesn't matter how much training these elite athletes do, the fact is Women in general can not jump as high as men, and in general can not run as fast. This does not make Women's athletics a lesser sport to watch, it enhances it, the competition is often tighter.

I'm old fashioned, so think we need to stop judging Women by the standards of Men, stop measuring both sexes by the same yard sticks.

In my opinion, women's football is often better to watch than men's football;  better because of the differences (... not in-spite of them).

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3439 on: June 30, 2021, 02:53:28 pm »
I've no doubt that our keepers (and all of the other players) do work really hard in training.

Female athletes do achieve amazing things, however it would be foolish to ignore each individual's natural potential.
Just look at  the world record for High Jump, Long Jump, and Triple Jump, look at the figures for men and then compare each with the record for Women.
It doesn't matter how much training these elite athletes do, the fact is Women in general can not jump as high as men, and in general can not run as fast. This does not make Women's athletics a lesser sport to watch, it enhances it, the competition is often tighter.

I'm old fashioned, so think we need to stop judging Women by the standards of Men, stop measuring both sexes by the same yard sticks.

In my opinion, women's football is often better to watch than men's football;  better because of the differences (... not in-spite of them).
Do you remember the quite serious suggestion that the goal sizes should be reduced to take 'inferior' female goalkeeping into account? Yeah right - whilst we're at it, let's make the women play with a size 4 ball, not a 5 - and make the pitches smaller too........etc.......

You're bang-on here - it's more exciting precisely because of the differences we see when they play on, pardon the phrase, a level playing field :thumbup