Author Topic: Espresso Machines  (Read 76567 times)

Offline shippers

• The Fat Banana AKA Bicycyle Man!
  • Kopite
Re: Espresso Machines
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2011, 12:13:58 am »
Making Espresso with a pod is like making a full English Brekkie by emptying it out of a tin can ;-)

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2011, 12:26:12 am »
Making Espresso with a pod is like making a full English Brekkie by emptying it out of a tin can ;-)

nice!!

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2011, 12:31:50 am »
yeah yeah... You lot can waste your lives away spending hours a week to make cups of coffee. Unlike those who have better things to do!  ;)

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2011, 11:19:25 am »
I'm quite happy too for the right shot!

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2011, 08:05:15 pm »
Ordered my Gaggia Classic today. Arrives Tuesday. VERY excited.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Brooks

• Kopite
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2011, 02:36:29 pm »

Sweeeeeet. I've been lurking on this thread seeing how things develop - got me thinking about getting the Gaggia Classic.... £80 off at the moment...very tempting. Let us know how you get on when you've made a few shots.... :-)
Seriously, how fucking stupid can this get. Chelsea could not be more lucky. Those stupid fuckers. And Gary Neville who's been making sweet love to them all night and GOD DAMMIT I HATE EVERYTHING. FUCK CHELSEA. GOD FUCKING DAMMIT I HATE THEM SO GODDAM MUCH!!!!

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2011, 09:25:58 pm »
Sweeeeeet. I've been lurking on this thread seeing how things develop - got me thinking about getting the Gaggia Classic.... £80 off at the moment...very tempting. Let us know how you get on when you've made a few shots.... :-)

vey good indeed, mine is working very well now

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2011, 09:33:02 pm »

you will need the following

Tamper, the plastic one you get with it is crap(I bought this one)
http://www.garraways.co.uk/p331350/barista-coffee-tamper.html

stainless steel milk jug
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft-Stainless-Steel-700ml/dp/B0001IWWKC/ref=dp_cp_ob_kh_title_2

loads of coffee as it will take you a few goes to get it right and it soon goes down!

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2011, 08:04:52 pm »
Well the day finally arrived, and I am not disappointed. Made 2 cracking cappuccinos for me and the missus just now. Really good stuff. Milk frother a piece of piss to use, and got a lovely crema on both my first two espressos. Using Lavazza black which always gave me reasonable results with my crappy old £60 DeLonghi unit. This machine is in a different league to that though, and you would be hard pushed to find anything else of this quality in the <£300 bracket. Cheers for all the advice djphal.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2011, 08:50:30 pm »
No worries mate, enjoy!!

I found watching videos on YouTube helpful for perfecting your espresso!

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2011, 10:18:52 pm »
I've just ordered some more extra convenient pods (back off coffee militants) & then came across this place... www.coffeaonline.com looks a nice site. Good range of coffee, different options & loads of accessories, which brings me onto...

I'm still using ground coffee too so am wondering whether anyone got a tamper & if so how does the diameter of the tamper relate to the diameter of the handle on your machine? - the bobbins plastic one that came with my machine is noticeably smaller, 2-3 mm, it seems to get the job done but I'm no expert, would it be better if it was a closer fit...?

Finally, for those interested the hazlenut coffee I ordered a few weeks ago is a bit odd, not horrible but it's not a smooth as a regular espresso & I don't envisage re-ordering it at the minute. It might grow on me though...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:20:58 pm by Mal »
@ManifoldReasons

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2011, 07:27:35 pm »
How did I ever live without this machine?

Offline shippers

• Kopite
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2011, 09:25:54 pm »
I've just ordered some more extra convenient pods (back off coffee militants) & then came across this place... www.coffeaonline.com looks a nice site. Good range of coffee, different options & loads of accessories, which brings me onto...

I'm still using ground coffee too so am wondering whether anyone got a tamper & if so how does the diameter of the tamper relate to the diameter of the handle on your machine? - the bobbins plastic one that came with my machine is noticeably smaller, 2-3 mm, it seems to get the job done but I'm no expert, would it be better if it was a closer fit...?

Finally, for those interested the hazlenut coffee I ordered a few weeks ago is a bit odd, not horrible but it's not a smooth as a regular espresso & I don't envisage re-ordering it at the minute. It might grow on me though...

It's better if the tamper is a snugger fit. Though I've got away with one that's undersized in the past. You just have to make sure that you've got no voids, and that the coffee is tamped equally. Much easier if you've got a snug fit one. Throw away the plastic and get a decent metal one. Dose the portafilter, spread the coffee around. Tamp down. Tap, tamp down. Quick spin with no pressure to smooth the surface. Often the head will have a groove in it, and your tamped coffee should be below this line. If you invert the filter then the coffee shouldn't fall out. Basically you're trying to make sure the water is forced through the full layer of coffee without it finding a single path to go through with less pressure, or through an edge gap.

Personally I wouldn't ever use "flavoured beans". I do like some of the syrups though, especially for home made Gingerbread lattes.

If you tell the shop what machine you have they should recommend a tamper size.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2011, 09:30:04 pm »
How did I ever live without this machine?

dont forget, mix it up with a bombon every now and then!

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2011, 10:25:25 pm »
It's better if the tamper is a snugger fit. Though I've got away with one that's undersized in the past. You just have to make sure that you've got no voids, and that the coffee is tamped equally. Much easier if you've got a snug fit one. Throw away the plastic and get a decent metal one. Dose the portafilter, spread the coffee around. Tamp down. Tap, tamp down. Quick spin with no pressure to smooth the surface. Often the head will have a groove in it, and your tamped coffee should be below this line. If you invert the filter then the coffee shouldn't fall out. Basically you're trying to make sure the water is forced through the full layer of coffee without it finding a single path to go through with less pressure, or through an edge gap.

Personally I wouldn't ever use "flavoured beans". I do like some of the syrups though, especially for home made Gingerbread lattes.

If you tell the shop what machine you have they should recommend a tamper size.

Cheers shippers!

Strikes me (from this & the cyclist thread) that you're the kind of man who takes things very seriously or doesn't do them at all.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline shippers

• Kopite
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2011, 11:07:52 pm »
Cheers shippers!

Strikes me (from this & the cyclist thread) that you're the kind of man who takes things very seriously or doesn't do them at all.
Or makes a half arsed attempt, and very quickly gives them up as being wrong :-)

When I get obsessed by something I am fairly relentless :-) Can't be a cyclist who'd ridden in Italy and not at least pretended to live the dream for a bit, riding from ace cafe to ace cafe (often sited within amazing Castles). Highly recommend visiting The Belvedere in Riccione for at least a week :-).

Offline neilers

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2011, 11:35:49 am »
AAGH brain in melt down cannot make my mind up on which maker to get.  Decided on gaggia but cant decide, either the cubika, red or classic.  Really i am swaying to the classic but it feels like a lot of money  helps that amazon have emailed me today that the classic is down in price again

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2011, 12:49:36 pm »
Classic!!

I got ours from Argos for 200 just before Xmas! Bargain!

Well worth it

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 27, 2011, 12:57:20 pm »
Definitely get the classic. The build quality is loads better than the others, which are a bit plasticky.

Offline Jagdip

• former Lunatic
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2011, 01:01:50 pm »

Offline Jagdip

• former Lunatic
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2011, 01:17:50 pm »
I just took this photo whilst making my lovely Nespresso Latte

:wave

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:26:24 pm by Jagdip »

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2011, 01:25:44 pm »
I've got a Classic, had it for a few years and I love. What are you lot using to descale?
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2011, 01:30:39 pm »
I just took this photo whilst making my lovely Nespresso Latte

:wave

But that's cheating!!

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2011, 01:31:06 pm »
For anyone with a Nespresso who wants to recycle the capsules this little gadget works well --> http://www.outpresso.co.uk/ ( it only cost a tenner when I bought mine :o)

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2011, 01:31:17 pm »
Jagdip,

I was looking at getting that Magimix around a month ago.  There was an offer on for some credit with Nespresso.

Care to give a quick review?

Offline Jagdip

• former Lunatic
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2011, 01:36:35 pm »
Jagdip,

I was looking at getting that Magimix around a month ago.  There was an offer on for some credit with Nespresso.

Care to give a quick review?

It's fantastic.

Quality of coffee is great, a great selection to chose from and the taste is magnificent. It is very easy and simple to maintain, no real need to spend ages cleaning the coffee machine as with old fashioned coffee machines. Value for money is great too, costs around 37p per capsule. You simply can't go wrong with it. It can also make a cold latte. (i.e. it can froth the milk at a cool temperature too, great for the summer days).

I remember it was £40 intro voucher. This is the model I have:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nespresso-Magimix-M190-Machine-Limousine/dp/B001UE9H6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296135366&sr=8-1

Offline neilers

• Main Stander
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2011, 07:20:02 pm »
cheers chaps for the advice - ordered a gaggia classic from amazon using a mates prime account so all being well will be with me tomorrow or Saturday :)

Offline neilers

• Main Stander
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2011, 05:49:40 pm »
It arrived at lunch today - glad I went for the classic.  Amazing expresso .will be drinking coffee most of the night

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2011, 09:46:52 pm »
It arrived at lunch today - glad I went for the classic.  Amazing expresso .will be drinking coffee most of the night

you will die you know

take it easy!!

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2011, 08:35:34 am »
when I got my gaggia I didn't sleep for 36 hours straight!

Just enjoying a double espresso as I type this, 10 years on and still the best purchase I ever made

I would never, ever cross to the dark side and get a pod machine, cheating is right DJ!
@johnbuckels

Offline neilers

• Main Stander
« Reply #150 on: January 30, 2011, 11:14:05 am »
i reckon i had 10 espresso yesterday - was still awake at 4am !  Easing off today. 

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2011, 02:04:58 pm »
I've had 5 doubles today, usually lay off after about 3pm otherwise it stops me sleeping
@johnbuckels

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 30, 2011, 04:51:04 pm »
Just got some Lavazza decaff for late evening drinking. Will let you know how it tastes.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 30, 2011, 05:30:51 pm »
Just made an espresso with the decaff and it tasted pretty good. Not as punchy as the Lavazza black which I love, this tastes more like the Lavazza red. You can tell the difference in taste with an espresso, but I reckon it will make a very good cappuccino. Might be a nice bedtime drink.

Offline shippers

• Kopite
« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2011, 05:51:29 pm »
Just made an espresso with the decaff and it tasted pretty good. Not as punchy as the Lavazza black which I love, this tastes more like the Lavazza red. You can tell the difference in taste with an espresso, but I reckon it will make a very good cappuccino. Might be a nice bedtime drink.
Get some Green & Blacks drinking chocolate. Use the milk steamer to froth the milk for a bedtime drink.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2011, 08:58:38 pm »

not keen on the black lavazza at all! I do like the red one though!

Ive had the blue one (decaff) but it just feels dirty

I would never, ever cross to the dark side and get a pod machine, cheating is right DJ!

yes it is, its great when you do the whole thing from scratch then when you taste it its perfect!

Offline shippers

• Kopite
« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2011, 11:32:54 pm »
yes it is, its great when you do the whole thing from scratch then when you taste it its perfect!

I used to try and convince the ex about that all the time :-)

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #157 on: January 31, 2011, 02:27:57 pm »
It's fantastic.

Quality of coffee is great, a great selection to chose from and the taste is magnificent. It is very easy and simple to maintain, no real need to spend ages cleaning the coffee machine as with old fashioned coffee machines. Value for money is great too, costs around 37p per capsule. You simply can't go wrong with it. It can also make a cold latte. (i.e. it can froth the milk at a cool temperature too, great for the summer days).

I remember it was £40 intro voucher. This is the model I have:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nespresso-Magimix-M190-Machine-Limousine/dp/B001UE9H6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296135366&sr=8-1

I echo comments made about Nespresso. I am in coffee heaven!

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #158 on: January 31, 2011, 02:42:20 pm »
How many of these would you get for a Torres?

Offline Jagdip

• former Lunatic
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 31, 2011, 10:07:17 pm »
How many of these would you get for a Torres?

;D