Author Topic: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread  (Read 1014450 times)

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
Re: Alcohol Issues
« Reply #40 on: October 6, 2009, 08:22:04 pm »
i dont want to quit, just drink say 2 times a week, for the footy etc.

Yeah, I used to say that.

Never happened, I'd get blottoed. Could never have a couple of drinks - once I had the taste that was it and it could turn into three day benders.

Got some great fucking stories mind and my twenties were a blast.

Hit my thirties though and you want to calm down and recently married but it was still there. It wasn't every night like it used to be for a lot of my twenties but in general half the week was a blur. Then I left the city and work colleagues (started working from home) and this had a dramatic effect but still every six to eight weeks a two day bender was needed. Then in the last couple of years that had extended to every ten to twelve weeks. Then a miracle.

I managed to go to the pub and have a couple of pints and leave. Amazing.

Did this for about six months on a Friday or Saturday. Cracked it.

Then I popped into the pub one Friday at 5 and woke up the following morning at 8 with no recollection.

You see, it's always there.

I dont know about you but me - one is too many and a hundred's not enough.

Been five months without a drink now and its' will power. It's all well and good finding other things to occupy your time but this doesn't address the mental decision you have to make about addressing your problem. Dont find it difficult now but fuck, it's been a long road.

All the best with it.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: October 6, 2009, 08:23:04 pm »

hahahahah thats class. lol. i gave the local authority permission to access my records due to mental health issues. so they could keep tabs on me basically. They think im a nutter. dunno how else to say it. but im off to the gym first thing tomorro. i will beat this fucker.

good luck mate, youll sortit, its clear you want to and thats great start
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #42 on: October 6, 2009, 08:24:18 pm »

hahahahah thats class. lol. i gave the local authority permission to access my records due to mental health issues. so they could keep tabs on me basically. They think im a nutter. dunno how else to say it. but im off to the gym first thing tomorro. i will beat this fucker.

That's the fucking attitude mate. Be dogged about it. :thumbup

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 6, 2009, 08:29:45 pm »
The gym advice above is really good (as is anything that will give you something else to do) , there's also these.......

Drinkline (0800 917 8282) offers the following services:

Information and self-help materials
Help to callers worried about their own drinking
Support to the family and friends of people who are drinking
Advice to callers on where to go for help

.....who should be able to help.

Best of luck with it

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #44 on: October 6, 2009, 08:29:59 pm »
Some good advice on here..sadly I have none other than best of luck with it mate.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #45 on: October 6, 2009, 08:34:38 pm »
i gave the local authority permission to access my records due to mental health issues. so they could keep tabs on me basically. They think im a nutter. dunno how else to say it.

Why do they think that?

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #46 on: October 6, 2009, 08:36:46 pm »
Why do they think that?

ummm suicide issues. im not gonna lie to you guys. drinking removes me from things but makes me depressed and suicidal at the same time. bit of a mess.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #47 on: October 6, 2009, 08:37:59 pm »
Why do they think that?

They know he posts on RAWK...
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 6, 2009, 08:39:34 pm »
ummm suicide issues. im not gonna lie to you guys. drinking removes me from things but makes me depressed and suicidal at the same time. bit of a mess.

get of the booze mate. do things with your life. try going on walks, get a pet, gym as stated before, join a club for something, golf?. There are lots of options to get out and about. just make the break asap.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #49 on: October 6, 2009, 08:40:20 pm »
ummm suicide issues. im not gonna lie to you guys. drinking removes me from things but makes me depressed and suicidal at the same time.

Did the suicidal stuff only start after your drinking got bad or was it always there?

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: October 6, 2009, 08:44:17 pm »
Did the suicidal stuff only start after your drinking got bad or was it always there?

ill be honest and say it was only when i started drinking heavily
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 6, 2009, 08:48:41 pm »
the drinking bought things up that i didnt wanna remember. fuck all i can do.

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 6, 2009, 08:49:02 pm »
stop
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #53 on: October 6, 2009, 08:49:58 pm »

ill be honest and say it was only when i started drinking heavily

Sorry about all the questions, by the way, but I figure this might be one of the first times you've had a chance to be honest about the whole thing, so we may as well get a good picture.

It's just that if some authority thinks you're a suicide risk, then presumably they asked you why you were suicidal. If you told them it was drink then why would they fuck you for looking for some help? Do you think they'll bang you up?

the drinking bought things up that i didnt wanna remember. fuck all i can do.

Not true. There's plenty you can do.

Offline oldboybailey

• Kopite
« Reply #54 on: October 6, 2009, 08:50:42 pm »
if you dont want to go to the doctors you could try some voluntary organisations? i dont know where your from but a google search should bring up loads in your area. explain to them why you dont want the doctors involved and they will do there best to find a solution. i work for a mental health charity and some times the service users there dont want you to speak to certain people like doctors or psychiatrist so we have to find other ways to help them.

good luck with tryin to stop, i know i would find it very difficult. dont drink every day or anything like that but enjoy a good night out at the weekend or a few watchin the footie. it'll be easier if you have help though

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #55 on: October 6, 2009, 08:56:37 pm »

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #56 on: October 6, 2009, 09:30:14 pm »
How much do you spend a day on booze?
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #57 on: October 6, 2009, 10:00:12 pm »
How much do you spend a day on booze?

why is that relevant?? He has a drink problem and has asked for help. He has already said how much he drinks.
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: October 6, 2009, 10:40:37 pm »
Good luck mate, I've seen how tough it can be but admitting it is definitely a massive step.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #59 on: October 7, 2009, 12:18:16 am »
think its time for me to grow a set

That's enough of that kind of talk.  You've already proved you've got true balls and you've been an inspiration and a help to many on here.  I'm certainly proud of you.  I wish you could be as proud of yourself.   I eagerly await the piccie. 
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #60 on: October 7, 2009, 10:28:41 am »
Drink is a horrible thing, my cousin is one of my really good friends, he is dying from drink. Hes only 29, his eyes are yellow and I mean yellow. His skin looks horrible, his liver is fucked basically. Thats when you can see his skin on his face and he hasnt fell over and smashed his face in or been cracked by someone for being mouthy when hes drunk. He wont listen to anyone, hes been in rehab but walked out because he said being around other addicts made him want a drink, so he turns up at my mates house who always has a few people round on a Saturday ngiht for a drink with a big bottle of Old English cider. Strange logic! Hes finished though, ive accepted it that he doesnt want my help or anyone elses, he pisses himself in his sleep, falls over, walks like john wayne when john wayne is pissed, hes a mess.

Sad really but what can you do?

Do something about your problems with drink now before you get like him, he wont see Christmas I bet. I had problems with Alcohol, when I drank I kicked off. I hardly drink anymore, im not missing anything to be honest. I have a few vodkas and coke but I dont get hammered anymore.
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline rutlandred

• Kopite
  • SOS
« Reply #61 on: October 7, 2009, 10:58:42 am »
The drink and being depressed is one big vicious circle, the more you drink, the more depressed you will get.  Even for people who don't drink a lot the depression goes hand in hand with having a bevvy, you can't have the highs, whithout the lows...But then you know this already..

The gym idea is the best advice on here, but, going the gym can be quite daunting for some people if they haven't been before, or for a long time (hope you have been this morning)..My advice would be to start walking or cycling first - set yourself goals, walk from your house to the local shops and back for example - and keep increasing the distance day bay day, week by week.  Not only will it take up "drinking time", it will also get you fitter and make you tired..which will get you into bed earlier (less drinking time again..). 

All the very best Harvest - you know you have to do something and thats the biggest step taken.  Get an ipod, get some tunes. Jog on..

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 7, 2009, 11:17:23 am »
I used to drink far too much. I've got it much more under control now, although I do still occasionally drink too much.

Like you say, a lot of it's habit. A few things that helped me are:

Drinking a lot of water. If you're drinking beer and you're thirsty, you're going to drink a lot more beer. And you'll still be thirsty tomorrow.
Avoiding the places I normally drink, e.g. not going to a pub for lunch or dinner; getting out of my flat in the evenings when I would normally be quaffing. I'd go see friends or family who don't drink or stick on my iPod and go for a long walk.
Simply not having more booze than I wanted to drink in the flat. Didn't always work because there are two or three places to get booze 24/7 within 15 minutes walk, but it was usually enough, especially in winter.
Getting up early. If you don't start drinking till the evening, you can shorten the evening by getting up really early and falling asleep at 9/10. With me, I find that if I get to bed before 10.30-11, I'm grand, but any later and I get a second wind and won't be in bed before 2.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 7, 2009, 11:23:38 am »
Now i know this isnt an agony aunt forum etc but can any of you guys and gals help.

i have a lil drink problem and i need to seriously cut it down. i cant go to the docs for help. does anyone here have any ideas? i dont want to quit, just drink say 2 times a week, for the footy etc.

presently im drinking about 5-6 pints of export and 5 pints of 7.5% cider a day. i know its not immense amounts but its cost me my marriage already.

sarcastic comments welcome as well cos knowing Rawk someone is itching to drop one lol.

So you couldnt be arsed to stop drinking to save your marriage but you can be arsed when a few dozen complete strangers on RAWK tell you to stop?

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #64 on: October 7, 2009, 11:41:56 am »
PM us if you fancy a natter.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Batukop

• needy little fucker
  • Anny Roader
  • Pure Shores
« Reply #65 on: October 7, 2009, 11:44:18 am »
Nothing like a bit of sympathy eh? The guy's admitted he has a drinking problem, which in itself takes big bollocks to do. In the past maybe things were different. He's looking like he's getting his life on track. I'm sure your snide comments wont affect his recovery.

So you couldnt be arsed to stop drinking to save your marriage but you can be arsed when a few dozen complete strangers on RAWK tell you to stop?

"You may have found me mean and thirsty in my search for trophies, but the bad news is the man who is taking my place is hungrier than me. Fagan's the name and I don't think he'll need any help from the Artful Dodger!" Bob Paisley on Joe Fagan.

Shear me. Shear my ass. Make me naked.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: October 7, 2009, 11:50:53 am »
Nothing like a bit of sympathy eh? The guy's admitted he has a drinking problem, which in itself takes big bollocks to do. In the past maybe things were different. He's looking like he's getting his life on track. I'm sure your snide comments wont affect his recovery.

The truth hurts doesn't it?
He'll do what he wants to do, there's advice on here and it's probably the same advice he's been given by loved ones, friends and health professionals for some time now.
And on the subject of drinking, I know several people who drink about the same amount, per day, as this guy.  And all of them hold down proper jobs and don't kick off.  Their liver may look like a blob of sticky shit, yes, but that's their choice.

Get help if you want it lad, you know where it is.  We can't tell you or convince you though, that's your own problem mate, but by the sounds of it you're not helping yourself much are you when you know that is spikes your 'dark' thoughts. 

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #67 on: October 7, 2009, 12:08:42 pm »
You should be Lindsay Lohan's councillor ;D

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: October 7, 2009, 12:11:58 pm »
You should be Lindsay Lohan's councillor ;D

But she really SHOULD drink loads, she's ugly, talentless and fat.

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #69 on: October 7, 2009, 12:12:13 pm »

maybe it's taken him the break up of his marriage to realise!!!
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #70 on: October 7, 2009, 12:19:10 pm »

I should have backed you at 80/1......cant even get evens now !
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #71 on: October 7, 2009, 03:48:30 pm »
Leave all cash at home and cards if you go out for a walk, even when you go to work (or a bare minimum cash).  I deliberately left all manner of payment at home when i went to work as it was getting a little silly that i was going out at lunch and sinking one or two and then one or two on the way home!  Not sure about the gym, if you feel you've done a good workout then you might feel like you've "deserved" a beer (which might turn into several)! 

good luck, you've admitted the fact you have a problem which is a start.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: October 7, 2009, 03:50:25 pm »
just checking in to see if you got the gym today HF????

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: October 7, 2009, 04:09:23 pm »
i went to the gym but had to book in for monday for a rep to help me out.  :)and dr Cornwallis you are right. only my wife told me to stop, the more she went on the more i felt i needed a drink. and yes, it took the break up to realise i was to blame. the truth doesnt hurt at all. Also in the past 2 weeks 2 mates have died through drink. bit of a wake up call. And i asked you guys on here as we all have one thing in common. LFC. no other ties, no emotional attachment etc so i knew it would be un biased opinions. hard one to explain lol.

but gym monday, not touched any booze today and see where that leads. :wave

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: October 7, 2009, 04:12:22 pm »
i went to the gym but had to book in for monday for a rep to help me out.  :)and dr Cornwallis you are right. only my wife told me to stop, the more she went on the more i felt i needed a drink. and yes, it took the break up to realise i was to blame. the truth doesnt hurt at all. Also in the past 2 weeks 2 mates have died through drink. bit of a wake up call. And i asked you guys on here as we all have one thing in common. LFC. no other ties, no emotional attachment etc so i knew it would be un biased opinions. hard one to explain lol.

Good on ya mate, long hard slog, but a step in the right direction.keep up the good work.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #75 on: October 7, 2009, 04:28:28 pm »
Good for you lad, just don't skip the Monday date
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #76 on: October 7, 2009, 04:30:48 pm »
i went to the gym but had to book in for monday for a rep to help me out. 

Good plan, but don't let that stop you just going along now and getting on an exercise bike for half an hour.

As for not drinking today, well done and keep it up. Treat it as a challenge, it might get a bit nasty later on tonight but don't let the fucking drink beat you!

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 7, 2009, 04:31:07 pm »

Well good luck with it, stay strong and think of how shit you feel now and ask if you want to be back in that situation again. 

"This too shall pass"

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #78 on: October 7, 2009, 05:46:09 pm »
Well done HF, you have taken an important step

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #79 on: October 8, 2009, 09:43:51 pm »
Well done lovely Harvest.  Yet another reason to be proud of you.

And Cornwallis.  Harvest does not speak with total strangers.  Some of us go back years with him and are his friends. 
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.