Jim Beglin
Ian Darke
Seb Hutchinson
Karen Carney
Alan Parry
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Ian Wright-late option

Author Topic: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition  (Read 1046250 times)

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Re: Who is worst Commentator/Pundit? Get your votes in and I'll add them
« Reply #8040 on: June 11, 2021, 10:03:16 pm »
Jenas getting absolutely ripped to bits on Twitter. Shame the BBC don't seem to care what we think.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8041 on: June 11, 2021, 10:03:51 pm »
Jenas getting absolutely ripped to bits on Twitter. Shame the BBC don't seem to care what we think.

Links please :D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8042 on: June 11, 2021, 10:10:50 pm »
He is a poor commentator isn't he. States the obvious time after time. I particularly enjoyed him saying how Italy have changed things around recently, and Mancini probably has played his part in that.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline oldman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8044 on: June 11, 2021, 10:21:25 pm »
I don’t want to sound like a posh stuffy knob, but are there no standards for broadcasters (especially on the BBC) to try to speak and enunciate words properly as an example for those watching? Especially kids.  Is that not a thing anymore?  I’m just listening to Jenas glottal stopping every word, saying things like “innit” etc. I guess people don’t care about this kind of thing anymore.
I care and it drives me mad dunnit

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8045 on: June 11, 2021, 10:22:48 pm »
He's trending so I just scrolled down the very long list ;D

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Jermaine%20Jenas%22&vertical=trends&s=09

Ah right, thanks. Every media outlet take note.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #8046 on: June 11, 2021, 10:22:59 pm »
Yeah Jenas really is awful but I did enjoy the other commentator calling him out for being boring ;D
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8047 on: June 11, 2021, 10:27:04 pm »
He's bland, sounds completely bored and has nothing of any interest to say - despite talking almost constantly. Anyone watching the game down the pub could do what he does (point out the blatantly obvious) and some of them might even stumble on some insight, enthusiasm or humour occasionally. He just poorly puts into words what anyone paying the vaguest of attention to the game would've noticed for themselves.

"He didn't want to miss that open goal..."

"He'll be gutted he's broken his leg there..."

"They won't be happy about being 6-0 down here..."

Admittedly that's what most of us do in the in-game threads on here, but we're not getting paid by the BBC to come up with interesting or perceptive analysis. Don't understand how he's managed to blag a career doing this, and even expanding outwards into regular presenting, which he seems equally abject at.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8048 on: June 11, 2021, 10:28:32 pm »
Seeing as Italy is on the Amber list does that mean the fucker has to stay in Rome or quarantine in a hotel for 10 days if he wants to come back?

Or, please God no, was he just commentating on a live stream somewhere in the UK which means he’s free to drone on over the BBCs other games?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8049 on: June 11, 2021, 10:30:59 pm »
He's trending so I just scrolled down the very long list ;D

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Jermaine%20Jenas%22&vertical=trends&s=09

AFC GLEN
@AFC_GLEN
If i got washed up on a desert island with a tin of corn beef and Jermaine Jenas i would eat Jermaine Jenas and talk to the tin of corn beef.

:lmao

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8050 on: June 12, 2021, 03:38:00 am »
AFC GLEN
@AFC_GLEN
If i got washed up on a desert island with a tin of corn beef and Jermaine Jenas i would eat Jermaine Jenas and talk to the tin of corn beef.

Absolutely cracked me up as well. My God that's a long list of people who hate him. Yet he's the face/voice of football in the UK outside of Sky Sports. Worrying times.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8051 on: June 12, 2021, 04:06:58 am »
I don’t want to sound like a posh stuffy knob, but are there no standards for broadcasters (especially on the BBC) to try to speak and enunciate words properly as an example for those watching? Especially kids.  Is that not a thing anymore?  I’m just listening to Jenas glottal stopping every word, saying things like “innit” etc. I guess people don’t care about this kind of thing anymore.
It's not that people don't care it's that there's a deliberate, active move away from valorising certain ways of speech as 'proper' and 'correct'.

You talk about proper enunciation, but enunciate properly in which accent? Which dialect? Who decides which is the 'correct way of speaking', and why should they be able to valorise one way over another? And glottal stops are a perfectly legitimate component of speech. Some accents use them, some don't. And that has also changed over time. What was once classed as 'correct' and 'elite' would now sound broad and common.

The whole notion of 'speaking properly' is a minefiled laced with elitism and class division and geographical hierarchialism. Until recently it was normal to valorise RP and 'proper speaking' and most of us have been brought up thinking there's a correct way of speaking and everything else is a corruption of that. And we all have accents we can't bear the sound of, as well as those which we think sound 'uneducated' or 'thick'. But how much difference is there between that and, say, people thinking the Scouse accent sounds leery or criminal or whiny or all those other adjectives that have been employed to do it down?

The current vogue in broadcasting is to feature a multiplicity of accents and speechforms. It can be painful but there's merit in that, if for no other reson than to give the lie to the purported link between accent and intelligence.

The old saying is that a language is just a dialect with an army; the same, or something similar, can be said about 'correct speaking'.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #8052 on: June 12, 2021, 07:43:02 am »
Switched on last night to hear Lineker ask the pundits to give their opinion on what the England line up will be in the first game , “taking into consideration the fact that some England players may not be fit until later in the tournament”.
And there in the graphic is Harry Maguire at centre half. Switched the sound off and made a cuppa.
He was on crutches last heard, Lineker has just as good as admitted he won’t be fit, and one of these over paid idiots (Fabregas?) puts him in the team. Ridiculous
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #8053 on: June 12, 2021, 08:10:45 am »
Snip
My comments weren’t intended as offensive or to come across as elitist. Of course there’s nothing wrong with having different accents and ways of speaking, I just think it’s possible to try to enunciate words properly. Especially those who broadcast to millions of people - I think there is a responsibility there.  I’m well aware in the minority in caring about this (don’t even get me started on major corporations sending out tweets littered with spelling and grammatical errors to millions of followers  :no ;D) - and we clearly have different views, so I’ll drop it now.

Offline Paisley79

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8054 on: June 12, 2021, 10:43:01 am »
AFC GLEN
@AFC_GLEN

Yeah, that made me laugh.

"Paint watches Jermaine Jenas dry..."  was another good one.

As was "I see all these comments on here saying how bad Jermaine Jenas is as a commentator. I disagree I think he's a lot fucking worse than you're making out"

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8055 on: June 12, 2021, 11:46:09 am »
It's not that people don't care it's that there's a deliberate, active move away from valorising certain ways of speech as 'proper' and 'correct'.

You talk about proper enunciation, but enunciate properly in which accent? Which dialect? Who decides which is the 'correct way of speaking', and why should they be able to valorise one way over another? And glottal stops are a perfectly legitimate component of speech. Some accents use them, some don't. And that has also changed over time. What was once classed as 'correct' and 'elite' would now sound broad and common.

The whole notion of 'speaking properly' is a minefiled laced with elitism and class division and geographical hierarchialism. Until recently it was normal to valorise RP and 'proper speaking' and most of us have been brought up thinking there's a correct way of speaking and everything else is a corruption of that. And we all have accents we can't bear the sound of, as well as those which we think sound 'uneducated' or 'thick'. But how much difference is there between that and, say, people thinking the Scouse accent sounds leery or criminal or whiny or all those other adjectives that have been employed to do it down?

The current vogue in broadcasting is to feature a multiplicity of accents and speechforms. It can be painful but there's merit in that, if for no other reson than to give the lie to the purported link between accent and intelligence.

The old saying is that a language is just a dialect with an army; the same, or something similar, can be said about 'correct speaking'.

I think this makes some very good points regarding accent and intelligence. However, when people are being paid to speak, it really shouldn't be too much to expect that they:

1. pronounce words correctly (and by that I mean being able to pronounce the necessary sounds in the correct order! I think that can be generally established outside of accent based differences, most of the time.) When it comes to pronouncing player and team names properly, that is part of the bloody job. Practice!

2. understand the meaning of the words they use (using "intelligent"-sounding words incorrectly really does make you sound like a dick).

3. not be lazy with language. Half the modern pundits sound like they are down the pub with some mates, with all the casual slang and memey "bants" that that seems to entail. It's fucking awful punditry, and if I want to listen to that level of inanity, I can go to an actual pub. Although the "banter" in my local is certainly wittier.

So while it's certainly true that some people still have pretty fixed notions about RP and what constitutes an intelligent or acceptable accent, I think the problem with the current bunch is that they are, for the most part, just not very good at words. Which is the job. Mind you, I think Micah Richards might have broken me because I'm beginning to find his all-out laugher approach to punditry quite funny. Ultimately, I'd like him to contribute nothing other than continuous laughter throughout the entire tournament, hopefully making Roy Keane explode in the process.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #8056 on: June 12, 2021, 02:55:50 pm »
I think this makes some very good points regarding accent and intelligence. However, when people are being paid to speak, it really shouldn't be too much to expect that they:

1. pronounce words correctly (and by that I mean being able to pronounce the necessary sounds in the correct order! I think that can be generally established outside of accent based differences, most of the time.) When it comes to pronouncing player and team names properly, that is part of the bloody job. Practice!

2. understand the meaning of the words they use (using "intelligent"-sounding words incorrectly really does make you sound like a dick).

3. not be lazy with language. Half the modern pundits sound like they are down the pub with some mates, with all the casual slang and memey "bants" that that seems to entail. It's fucking awful punditry, and if I want to listen to that level of inanity, I can go to an actual pub. Although the "banter" in my local is certainly wittier.

So while it's certainly true that some people still have pretty fixed notions about RP and what constitutes an intelligent or acceptable accent, I think the problem with the current bunch is that they are, for the most part, just not very good at words. Which is the job. Mind you, I think Micah Richards might have broken me because I'm beginning to find his all-out laugher approach to punditry quite funny. Ultimately, I'd like him to contribute nothing other than continuous laughter throughout the entire tournament, hopefully making Roy Keane explode in the process.

Quite right. One of the pundits on the Wales game has just said "We was nervous with this one". That's not a question of accents or pronunciation, that's just laziness.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #8057 on: June 12, 2021, 05:24:35 pm »
AFC GLEN
@AFC_GLEN

That’s stolen from Phil Neville from abar 3 tournaments ago.

Gurniad with a piece on aunties opening volleys of wisdom…

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/jun/12/euro-2020-on-tv-bbc-robbie-savage-boris-johnson

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #8058 on: June 13, 2021, 11:17:52 am »
I can’t help but feel that Jermaine Jenas’s agent has some dirt on someone high up in the BBC. How else can such a zero achieving, dull, non entertaining, non entity get so much air time and column inches. I’ve never know anyone being forced down the throat of the public through the main stream media as much as he is. It’s truly bizarre!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8059 on: June 13, 2021, 11:28:35 am »
I can’t help but feel that Jermaine Jenas’s agent has some dirt on someone high up in the BBC. How else can such a zero achieving, dull, non entertaining, non entity get so much air time and column inches. I’ve never know anyone being forced down the throat of the public through the main stream media as much as he is. It’s truly bizarre!

And of course he's co-commentating on the England game today.  ::)

Offline Red Ol

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8060 on: June 13, 2021, 11:31:08 am »

Oh FFS!  … radio commentary it is then.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #8061 on: June 13, 2021, 11:33:24 am »

Use the 5 Live commentary instead then.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8062 on: June 13, 2021, 11:49:58 am »
I only managed two minutes of Jenas in the Italy game but I'm sure he said the word methodic instead of methodical at one point. Maybe hes now in charge of the oxford dictionary and is soon taking over from Susie Dent.

There doesnt seem to be one program that might be beyond an appearance by him. I honestly can see him doing a nature documentary or a show about dark matter and its place in the universe.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #8063 on: June 13, 2021, 12:04:34 pm »
There doesnt seem to be one program that might be beyond an appearance by him. I honestly can see him doing a nature documentary or a show about dark matter and its place in the universe.

Even on a show about Egyptian Mummies he’d still be the most lifeless thing on screen.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8064 on: June 13, 2021, 12:09:19 pm »
Switches on five live:

"We'll be joined by Jermaine Jenas, Micah Richards and Karen Carney".

There is literally no escape from any of these fuckers.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8065 on: June 13, 2021, 01:35:27 pm »
Switches on five live:

She was the main commentator on the Denmark v Finland game yesterday on 5 Live, I had to turn it off, she just chats utter shite. Felt sorry for Nevin having to work with her.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8066 on: June 13, 2021, 01:38:39 pm »
Switches on five live:

I know it bothers the Gammon having female commentators and pundits, I genuinely don't care, just make sure whoever they are, whether animal, vegetable or mineral, that they offer some kind of insight, or are at least interesting to listen too, she isn't, however she's not the only drone employed by the BBC to cover football.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8067 on: June 13, 2021, 09:01:23 pm »
McCoist is great on co-comms tonight. Are you watching Jenas, Neville, Carragher, McManaman and all the rest. That's how you do it. Talk about the actual game that's on in front on you and sound like you are happy to be being paid handsomely for the best job in the world.
Switch to the studio and you have them miserable fuck pots Keane and Neville, and Peter Walton.

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #8068 on: June 13, 2021, 09:04:49 pm »
Jenas was absolutely terrible today. cliches, contradictions, errors and clearly has no knowledge of game intelligence and/or tactics.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8069 on: June 13, 2021, 09:10:43 pm »
Jenas was absolutely terrible today. cliches, contradictions, errors and clearly has no knowledge of game intelligence and/or tactics.

And bias. You'd expect that I suppose in an England game but there was a time when Mings didnt go for the ball and it went through to Perisic who scuffed his shot.  "Mings did well there to not go for that ball because Perisic wasted the chance" No, he missed the bloody thing

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8070 on: June 13, 2021, 10:04:28 pm »
Ally McCoist was cracking tonight, hope they give him more games later in the tournament.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8071 on: June 13, 2021, 10:08:02 pm »
Yep. Twitter is infinitely more complimentary about McCoist tonight than it was about Jenas et al yesterday! Hope the powers that be take note.

Offline Paisley79

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8072 on: June 13, 2021, 10:09:43 pm »
And bias. You'd expect that I suppose in an England game but there was a time when Mings didnt go for the ball and it went through to Perisic who scuffed his shot.  "Mings did well there to not go for that ball because Perisic wasted the chance" No, he missed the bloody thing

There was a similar one near the end when Walker shielded the ball for Pickford to collect. It was more luck than judgement & Jenas said it was good defending as Walker was touch-tight to the Croatian attacker. Cue replay which showed clear daylight between Walker & attacker

Offline Red Ol

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8073 on: June 13, 2021, 10:10:30 pm »

Talking out of his Jenas

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8074 on: June 13, 2021, 10:10:51 pm »
McCoist is the best of the co-commentators. Easily the best. Why he's 2nd string I have literally no idea.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8075 on: June 13, 2021, 10:13:10 pm »
I don't like this anchor on ITV. He's been weirdly angry and aggressive with his questions and utterly charmless.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8076 on: June 13, 2021, 10:13:33 pm »
Yep. Twitter is infinitely more complimentary about McCoist tonight than it was about Jenas et al yesterday! Hope the powers that be take note.
Who are ITVs others? Hartson and Dixon?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8077 on: June 13, 2021, 10:14:54 pm »
Who are ITVs others? Hartson and Dixon?

Yeah, not sure of any others?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8078 on: June 13, 2021, 10:15:53 pm »
Yeah, not sure of any others?

Phillip Schofield is contractually to be obliged to be on every itv show there is so it could be him. If not him, then Rylan.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8079 on: June 13, 2021, 10:45:22 pm »
Jenas is on this Peter Crouch show now. Fucking hell.

Enough is enough.