Jim Beglin
Ian Darke
Seb Hutchinson
Karen Carney
Alan Parry
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Ian Wright-late option

Author Topic: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition  (Read 1043019 times)

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
Re: Who is worst Commentator/Pundit? Get your votes in and I'll add them
« Reply #8000 on: May 30, 2021, 11:23:53 pm »
Well...quite. That was kinda my point. Nevermind!
in that case you clearly missed mine in the first place. Nevermind!

Clearly, both you lads have reached nirvana...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #8001 on: May 31, 2021, 01:46:58 am »
Clearly, both you lads have reached nirvana...
Nevermind.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #8002 on: May 31, 2021, 09:08:19 am »
in that case you clearly missed mine in the first place. Nevermind!
Nevermind  :wave

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #8003 on: May 31, 2021, 03:36:09 pm »
Shotguns at the ready

Offline semit5

• obsessed with faeces
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8004 on: May 31, 2021, 04:19:53 pm »
Tyler..as if you need reminding of how bad he is..only watched the first 1min30secs of this & immediately brought me here..
Twat..and a twat of a commentator.
The bias is off the scale..

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/vHpCHPgEQUw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/vHpCHPgEQUw</a>

Reminded me of how excited he was in the Viduka 4-3 game and how he wanted to slit his wrists when Vladi put us in lead at 3-2

https://youtu.be/xRUhEM0wj3k

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #8005 on: May 31, 2021, 05:28:23 pm »
Lee Hendrie I think it is doing the play-off today. Fucking hell his voice is dull as ditchwater and he has nothing of interest to add to proceedings. Why can they not find people who at least sound like they want to be there?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #8006 on: May 31, 2021, 05:35:44 pm »
Lee Hendrie I think it is doing the play-off today. Fucking hell his voice is dull as ditchwater and he has nothing of interest to add to proceedings. Why can they not find people who at least sound like they want to be there?

As in Peter “OTT” Drury?
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #8007 on: May 31, 2021, 08:32:13 pm »
Dean Saunders back on TalkSport again then ?  (allegedly, haven't heard it with my own lugs). What is it with that station, do they have to have a conviction for drunk driving to get a gig ? Saunders, Brazil, Sinclair. Probably others. Slap on the wrist, sit on the sidelines a year or so and we'l bring you back when people have forgotten.

Saunders. Had a foot like a snooker cushion.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8008 on: May 31, 2021, 09:22:10 pm »

That peeves me off no end. In the day and age where few if any can get in, these gobshites have what people would give their right bullock for and they sound bored and make it sound like a chore. McManaman is the same

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8009 on: June 2, 2021, 04:49:34 pm »
Five Live Euro pundits/commentators.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8010 on: June 3, 2021, 01:23:30 pm »
Gabby Agbonlahor can go fuck himself.  Laying into Hendo for “being selfish” for not withdrawing from the England squad as he’s not fit.

No, it’s not Southgate’s fault for picking him at all. It appears he’s not called Harry Maguire selfish despite the fact that he’s currently hobbling around on one leg.  A few others are carrying knocks as well, but they’re not selfish. Strange that now they can’t moan about Trent they’ve gone straight to digging out Henderson.  I mean it’s not exactly subtle, is it?

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #8011 on: June 4, 2021, 12:45:37 pm »
Gabby Agbonlahor can go fuck himself.  Laying into Hendo for “being selfish” for not withdrawing from the England squad as he’s not fit.

No, it’s not Southgate’s fault for picking him at all. It appears he’s not called Harry Maguire selfish despite the fact that he’s currently hobbling around on one leg.  A few others are carrying knocks as well, but they’re not selfish. Strange that now they can’t moan about Trent they’ve gone straight to digging out Henderson.  I mean it’s not exactly subtle, is it?
He’s as clever as he looks.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8012 on: June 4, 2021, 03:42:20 pm »

I'm sick of these nonentities being given a platform to spout utter shite unchallenged.
If Hendo was the only player trying to prove his fitness, then there'd may be a very small justification for what he said. But when Hendo is one of a few players in a similar position injurywise, to single him out without even acknowledging the other players is pathetic.
Some of the pundits nowadays really do struggle to form a coherent thought, either that or they know exactly what they are doing.
There's so much talk about respect in football, but when some washed up never was like Agbonlahor thinks Hendo, who has achieved so much, is fair game, then it makes a mockery of the whole notion of respect.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8013 on: June 4, 2021, 04:21:25 pm »
Agbonlahor has to be one of if not the thickest out there. He'd put you to sleep too listening to him. Mad how the people doing the numbers think he is a person who draws audiences and entertains. Heard him few days ago getting asked who his outside tip was for the Euros. Outside tip. England. Yeah, the favourites.

Online StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8014 on: June 10, 2021, 05:28:45 pm »
I've mentioned the LFC TV commentator(s) on here before, but I've only just discovered this one.

Final moments of the UCL semi-final against Barca:

"They've just gotta see it through for this last few anxious moments."

The final whistle goes.

"Don't ever tell them....that nothing...is possible."

What?! I've never heard someone who sounds so scripted and rehearsed while also sounding like he hasn't got a clue what to say and coming out with utter nonsense.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8015 on: June 10, 2021, 07:48:44 pm »
I've mentioned the LFC TV commentator(s) on here before, but I've only just discovered this one.

Final moments of the UCL semi-final against Barca:

"They've just gotta see it through for this last few anxious moments."

The final whistle goes.

"Don't ever tell them....that nothing...is possible."

What?! I've never heard someone who sounds so scripted and rehearsed while also sounding like he hasn't got a clue what to say and coming out with utter nonsense.
Odd example to get exercised about. Not sure what's so bad about that. A bit obvious maybe but it fit well with the narrative around that game. Seems pretty harmless.

All commentators script and rehearse various things they could say, depending on events and outcome. It makes things easier in the moment.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8016 on: June 10, 2021, 09:18:07 pm »
Whoever dresses Micah Richards needs to measure him up properly, he's bursting out of his suit on BBC1 right now like the Incredible Hulk. No chance he doesn't rip some seams with a raucous laugh. Looks ridiculous, just wear clothes that fit you.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
« Reply #8017 on: June 10, 2021, 09:24:43 pm »

Has the look of a man who is thick as fuck, talks like a man who is thick as fuck, the opinions he tries to come out with are thick as fuck, his voice is thick as fuck, and have a guess what, he’s thick as fuck.  😀

Offline A Langheck

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8018 on: June 11, 2021, 10:18:09 am »
It's not a surprise, but the list of pundits doesn't exactly fill me with excitement. Apart from a few exceptions, they look pretty dire - and the usual non informed comment will have to do.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8019 on: June 11, 2021, 10:30:19 am »
Whoever dresses Micah Richards needs to measure him up properly, he's bursting out of his suit on BBC1 right now like the Incredible Hulk. No chance he doesn't rip some seams with a raucous laugh. Looks ridiculous, just wear clothes that fit you.

“You won’t like me when I’m over the top happy”

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #8020 on: June 11, 2021, 11:38:55 am »
The pundits being revealed for the Euro's on the BBC and ITV sites was cringey. I can't remember the last time I watched any of the pre/post/half time stuff myself, it's just a load of shite now, attempts at being controversial or people with no idea what they are going on about.

"So Jermaine, why do you think Alan Dzagoev never really reached the heights predicted for him at the 2012 Euros?"

Don't think so.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:40:34 am by Elzar »
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8021 on: June 11, 2021, 11:40:09 am »
“You won’t like me when I’m over the top happy”

;D

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8022 on: June 11, 2021, 11:56:05 am »

Lineker jokingly asked him about North Macedonia’s squad. “Hahahaha, I knew you were going to do that to me. Hahahahaha.”

Well why the fuck didn’t he actually do a bit of fucking reading, and watch some of the qualifying campaign back, then? I mean he’s had all week to prepare, and could have actually informed people instead of just ignorantly laughing at the idea of a “lesser” footballing nation playing in a major tournament.

Twats.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8023 on: June 11, 2021, 12:02:07 pm »
Lineker jokingly asked him about North Macedonia’s squad. “Hahahaha, I knew you were going to do that to me. Hahahahaha.”

Well why the fuck didn’t he actually do a bit of fucking reading, and watch some of the qualifying campaign back, then? I mean he’s had all week to prepare, and could have actually informed people instead of just ignorantly laughing at the idea of a “lesser” footballing nation playing in a major tournament.

Twats.
In the same breath, I also look forward to the pundits saying things like "you can't get away with things like that at international level" about top league players, like playing against North Macedonia is more difficult than being involved in a Liverpool vs Man City match.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8024 on: June 11, 2021, 12:07:09 pm »

I've never understood this mentality. The joke is these ex-player pundits would have during their career been required to watch some analysis of the opposition. They're in a privileged role in which their celebrity allows them to get a pulpit, when there are better pundits who won't get an opportunity because they aren't known to the casual viewer who only tunes in every tournament. I think we were at a tipping point a few years ago where it looked like media punditry was going to shift towards better analysis (hiring pundits who actually understood certain leagues and sides like Laurens and Honigstein), only for it to start shifting back in the other direction.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8025 on: June 11, 2021, 12:08:48 pm »
I've never understood this mentality. The joke is these ex-player pundits would have during their career been required to watch some analysis of the opposition. They're in a privileged role in which their celebrity allows them to get a pulpit, when there are better pundits who won't get an opportunity because they aren't known to the casual viewer who only tunes in every tournament. I think we were at a tipping point a few years ago where it looked like media punditry was going to shift towards better analysis (hiring pundits who actually understood certain leagues and sides like Laurens and Honigstein), only for it to start shifting back in the other direction.

BT Sport has some of the better, non-playing pundits on its score show from time to time, and the contempt that the likes of Chris Sutton treat them with is ridiculous.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #8026 on: June 11, 2021, 12:09:58 pm »
BT Sport has some of the better, non-playing pundits on its score show from time to time, and the contempt that the likes of Chris Sutton treat them with is ridiculous.

Chris Sutton is an absolute clown
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8027 on: June 11, 2021, 12:17:56 pm »

I was watching an old Room 101 the other night and Fay Ripley put football pundits in. Lineker was sat next to her and tried to do a jokey face but you could see he didnt like it much. He then went on to say, "Who better to talk about football, than an ex player"

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8028 on: June 11, 2021, 12:31:04 pm »

I think it was a  few world World Cups ago that they had someone on who actually bothered to put in a bit of effort to find out some things about a lesser known side and tried talking about them before kick off in a game that actually involved them.  Lineker pulled one of those mocking “Ooh fancy that” faces and someone like Lawrenson just said “you need to get out more” then they all fell about laughing.  And that was the other pundits contribution to proceedings.  Utterly feeble.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8029 on: June 11, 2021, 12:56:53 pm »
It's actually considered a laughing matter on Sky when Paul "Merse" Merson butchers the pronunciation of a players name, people are paying top dollar for Sky Sports subscriptions and this is the best Sky can offer?

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #8030 on: June 11, 2021, 02:12:17 pm »
It's actually considered a laughing matter on Sky when Paul "Merse" Merson butchers the pronunciation of a players name, people are paying top dollar for Sky Sports subscriptions and this is the best Sky can offer?

Absolute moron.
Let's be honest - he's a charity case in terms of keeping his job when Sky had their recent revamp in terms of presenter line up.  Sky know it'd probably drive him straight back to the marching powder and booze if they'd given him the boot...
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8031 on: June 11, 2021, 02:23:12 pm »
What are you expecting as the number 1 saying on the bulllshit bingo card then from old JJ this tournament.
I have - "You would have scored that Gary" - as my favourite
Followed by them all falling about laughing like this has never been said before.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #8032 on: June 11, 2021, 02:28:33 pm »
I think he’s “only” on co-commentary. Thankfully.

And every advert.
AHA!

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8033 on: June 11, 2021, 03:11:10 pm »
I think he’s “only” on co-commentary. Thankfully.

And every advert.

Is he ?  That's some good news at least. Must be flat out on the One Show and question time

Online StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8034 on: June 11, 2021, 07:11:11 pm »
Odd example to get exercised about. Not sure what's so bad about that. A bit obvious maybe but it fit well with the narrative around that game. Seems pretty harmless.

All commentators script and rehearse various things they could say, depending on events and outcome. It makes things easier in the moment.

It doesn't make any sense, for a start.

"Don't ever tell them that nothing is impossible" would have been an incredibly awkward sentence anyway, but he used the word "possible" rather than "impossible." It's genuinely amazing that he took so many pregnant pauses and still managed to fuck up such a hackneyed line. "Don't ever tell them that something is impossible" or just "nothing is impossible" are both very boring, but they're definitely less awkward versions of what he was aiming for.

I know that commentators rehearse things and plan sayings for certain scenarios. That isn't a problem. This fella just always does the weird thing of making a massive effort to sound professional and clever while coming out with things that barely make sense.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #8035 on: June 11, 2021, 08:52:51 pm »
I don’t want to sound like a posh stuffy knob, but are there no standards for broadcasters (especially on the BBC) to try to speak and enunciate words properly as an example for those watching? Especially kids.  Is that not a thing anymore?  I’m just listening to Jenas glottal stopping every word, saying things like “innit” etc. I guess people don’t care about this kind of thing anymore.

Offline wenlock

• Main Stander
« Reply #8036 on: June 11, 2021, 09:32:47 pm »
They are poor to say the least and offer little to no tactical or technical advantage over plenty of 'fans', although that might just be more in the case of the legacy kind of fan then the plastic kind.

Being a good painter and decorator with lots of experience does not automatically make you an expert when painting a portrait. You do not need to be a politician to vote at elections or have a valid political opinion.

These people were basically just small pieces of a bigger jigsaw and often don't seem to have much knowledge outside of their own edges.
"I'm surprised they don't charge me rent and rates."
Bob Paisley after his 11th visit to Wembley

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8037 on: June 11, 2021, 09:43:27 pm »
It doesn't make any sense, for a start.

"Don't ever tell them that nothing is impossible" would have been an incredibly awkward sentence anyway, but he used the word "possible" rather than "impossible." It's genuinely amazing that he took so many pregnant pauses and still managed to fuck up such a hackneyed line. "Don't ever tell them that something is impossible" or just "nothing is impossible" are both very boring, but they're definitely less awkward versions of what he was aiming for.

I know that commentators rehearse things and plan sayings for certain scenarios. That isn't a problem. This fella just always does the weird thing of making a massive effort to sound professional and clever while coming out with things that barely make sense.
*shugs* It's just a verbal typo. It was a very emotional moment after an incredible and historic performace by the team he supports. Errors like that do happen from time to time, even from neutral commentators. Given the circumstances I'd cut the guy some slack, personally.

To be honest I didn't even notice, probably because I got the sense of what he meant and my brain filled in. It's hardly Steve Macmanaman type bollocks
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline glewis93

• Kopite
« Reply #8038 on: June 11, 2021, 09:45:53 pm »
Jenas is absolutely awful. I am willing to bet he's getting paid a hefty sum to state the obvious and make shit jokes. Critiquing players that are so far above the level he ever got to as a pro.

He adds absolutely nothing to the game. Get Ally McCoist, loved him as a commentator on Prime. Could tell he just loves football, which makes it even more exciting for the viewer. As opposed to the monotone ramblings of Jenas.
Long Live Lucas Leiva!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8039 on: June 11, 2021, 09:55:00 pm »
Jenas is absolutely awful. I am willing to bet he's getting paid a hefty sum to state the obvious and make shit jokes. Critiquing players that are so far above the level he ever got to as a pro.

He adds absolutely nothing to the game. Get Ally McCoist, loved him as a commentator on Prime. Could tell he just loves football, which makes it even more exciting for the viewer. As opposed to the monotone ramblings of Jenas.

And the worst thing is, the BBC are clearly grooming him to take over from Lineker on MOTD. Same as Alex Scott being groomed to take over from Dan Walker on Football Focus. That's why they were both presenting the One Show.