Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12290497 times)

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #102560 on: January 19, 2021, 08:50:46 am »
Paul Glatzel hasn't played in a while, anyone knows what's going on with him?

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102561 on: January 19, 2021, 09:13:46 am »
Paul Glatzel hasn't played in a while, anyone knows what's going on with him?
Got injured early in the season after just coming back from his last injury.  Same game I think that Joe Hardy got injured also after just coming back from a previous injury.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102562 on: January 19, 2021, 07:19:19 pm »
Adam Lewis just scored for Plymouth.  Yay.  ;D

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #102563 on: January 23, 2021, 11:12:42 pm »
You know as promising Rhys and Billy are , i would have thought they team would have brought in young players for the future who would more than likely fit the model for first team in the future?. I am surprised there aren't any CB in youth teams who have a bit of pace (like VVD and Gomez) about them?.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102564 on: January 24, 2021, 01:18:23 am »
You know as promising Rhys and Billy are , i would have thought they team would have brought in young players for the future who would more than likely fit the model for first team in the future?. I am surprised there aren't any CB in youth teams who have a bit of pace (like VVD and Gomez) about them?.

Sepp Van der Berg has a very good recovery pace, but for some reason, he has completely disappeared from the picture. It's a shame, since he looked pretty talented ...

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102565 on: January 24, 2021, 01:28:40 am »
Sepp Van der Berg has a very good recovery pace, but for some reason, he has completely disappeared from the picture. It's a shame, since he looked pretty talented ...

Didnt know that. He looked a bit lost in the few times ive seen him in action (like those of us who mainly watch the first team).maybe he is a bit more raw than the club thought when they brought him in?. FWIW he also looks more like a Philips type player...

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102566 on: January 24, 2021, 01:35:33 am »
Didnt know that. He looked a bit lost in the few times ive seen him in action (like those of us who mainly watch the first team).maybe he is a bit more raw than the club thought when they brought him in?. FWIW he also looks more like a Philips type player...

Well, he is certainly faster and better with the ball than Phillips. I haven't watched the game, but the reports suggest he did really well against Everton for the U-23's the other night. I suppose that he will go out on loan, but I wouldn't mind him getting a chance with the 1st team, if we are not signing a central defender this month.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #102567 on: January 24, 2021, 08:58:05 am »
Well, he is certainly faster and better with the ball than Phillips. I haven't watched the game, but the reports suggest he did really well against Everton for the U-23's the other night. I suppose that he will go out on loan, but I wouldn't mind him getting a chance with the 1st team, if we are not signing a central defender this month.

I had high hopes for him but every time he's been given a chance in the first team he hasn't impressed at all.  Been poor to average (at best).  There's a player in there somewhere and he might need a loan move to really develop, but at the moment I can see why he's not getting chances.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102568 on: January 24, 2021, 09:19:26 am »
Who are currently the ones who might get a sniff of the first team, who haven't even had a chance to sit on the subs bench yet?.

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #102569 on: January 24, 2021, 09:30:08 am »
I had high hopes for him but every time he's been given a chance in the first team he hasn't impressed at all.  Been poor to average (at best).  There's a player in there somewhere and he might need a loan move to really develop, but at the moment I can see why he's not getting chances.

He's never played in the 'first team'. One appearance in a second string vs Arsenal (where yes he was poor) and two as part of elevated reserve teams (his CB partner in one was Morgan Boyes).

I think he'll be much better playing with more experienced teammates. He would still struggle if thrown in right now but if we can get him a half decent loan then i think he could actually progress.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102570 on: January 24, 2021, 09:44:22 am »
Who are currently the ones who might get a sniff of the first team, who haven't even had a chance to sit on the subs bench yet?.
Depends where there's a squad opening. Not counting the games we played full academy sides probably Layton Stewart and Conor Bradley. Imagine Neco goes on loan next year and Bradley is the next right back up to fill that role. Stewart's good, but it probably depends on if we can shift Orgi and other attacking options who aren't contributing a lot as to whether there'll be an opening in match day squads for him. I don't think anyone is at Jones's level when he was at the academy where he was so obviously the best player and was with the first team squad pretty much straight away. If we finish 5th or 6th a few more, like Morton or Balagizi, could fill out the squad in European games

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #102571 on: January 24, 2021, 09:52:00 am »
What's the latest with Stewart, has he moved up a level yet?

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102572 on: January 24, 2021, 09:58:10 am »
What's the latest with Stewart, has he moved up a level yet?

He's been on the bench recently for the under 23's with the odd sub appearance but not starting. 

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #102573 on: January 24, 2021, 10:04:02 am »
He's been on the bench recently for the under 23's with the odd sub appearance but not starting. 

Ta.  Wonder if he'll get a loan next season or if we'll keep him in-house like we did with Jones.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102574 on: January 24, 2021, 06:02:56 pm »
Closing in on the signing of Derby’s Kaide Gordon, according to the Telegraph. 16-year-old attacking midfielder, fee £1m rising to potentially £3m. Apparently very highly regarded.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102575 on: January 24, 2021, 07:49:18 pm »
Closing in on the signing of Derby’s Kaide Gordon, according to the Telegraph. 16-year-old attacking midfielder, fee £1m rising to potentially £3m. Apparently very highly regarded.

Haven’t seen him play but some people are saying he’s the best 16 year old in the country?

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102576 on: January 24, 2021, 07:56:47 pm »
Haven’t seen him play but some people are saying he’s the best 16 year old in the country?
Is that not just the usual hype from these sort of signings? Good to see us being aggressive with some academy age signings though.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102577 on: January 24, 2021, 07:57:47 pm »

Good point to be honest

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102578 on: January 24, 2021, 07:57:54 pm »
Is that not just the usual hype from these sort of signings? Good to see us being aggressive with some academy age signings though.

I would say only for Harvey Elliot recently, which was most likely true.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102579 on: January 24, 2021, 08:03:26 pm »
Derby fans seem really annoyed and fuming with how low the fee is so guess that's a good sign regarding his ability.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102580 on: January 24, 2021, 08:14:40 pm »
Derby fans are apparently pissed off at this loss.  They say he's meant to be a bigger talent than Harvey.  :o

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102581 on: January 24, 2021, 08:17:25 pm »
I would say only for Harvey Elliot recently, which was most likely true.
Might have been an even bolder claim given how good the depth of quality in the 2003 born England players.  :D But yeah meant not just for players we sign but kind of like England youth International players moving
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:19:06 pm by Chris~ »

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102582 on: January 25, 2021, 12:31:22 am »
Easy to say that with nothing to back it up but there is some top talent at that age group in the country.

Shola Shoretire is 16 and starring for United u23s and has been training with their first team. The same goes for Alphie Devine now Tottenhams youngest goalscorer and youngest player ever for them. They also have Scarlett who scored 5 goals in their FA Youth Cup match recently and has come on for them in the Europa league. Then over at Chelsea there is Soonsuo-Bell who Lampard has been speaking about and invited to train with the first team he also scored 4 goals in the FA Youth Cup recently and is playing for their u23s also.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102583 on: January 25, 2021, 12:50:45 am »
Easy to say that with nothing to back it up but there is some top talent at that age group in the country.

Shola Shoretire is 16 and starring for United u23s and has been training with their first team. The same goes for Alphie Devine now Tottenhams youngest goalscorer and youngest player ever for them. They also have Scarlett who scored 5 goals in their FA Youth Cup match recently and has come on for them in the Europa league. Then over at Chelsea there is Soonsuo-Bell who Lampard has been speaking about and invited to train with the first team he also scored 4 goals in the FA Youth Cup recently and is playing for their u23s also.

Yeah you’re right but I don’t think people make statements like this without merit, most of the time it just means there in a small band of youth players who could be consider so.

When people were saying the same of Elliott it was the same, alongside Bellingham and maybe Musiala he was a standout in that age group and has gone on to proven so, people don’t really make comments like that about players who aren’t in the top cluster of youth players in the country.

Offline Kadafi

• Main Stander
« Reply #102584 on: January 25, 2021, 04:24:21 pm »
Kaide Gordon played against the U18s at the end of the year iirc.
I remember him bursting through on the left and cutting in, he put our CB on his butt but then kinda scuffed his shot with his weaker right foot.

He has a wand of a left foot, that definitely stood out about him.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102585 on: January 25, 2021, 09:46:34 pm »
I remember him bursting through on the left and cutting in, he put our CB on his butt but then kinda scuffed his shot with his weaker right foot.

Is he an attacking midfielder who can play all along the front line or just behind type?.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102586 on: January 25, 2021, 09:56:20 pm »

Highlights here -  https://youtu.be/ZM37qvtDaMo

Offline Kadafi

• Main Stander
« Reply #102587 on: January 25, 2021, 10:39:14 pm »
From those highlights it looks like he was as Left Forward and appeared on the right late in the game. Looks like he isn't afraid to use his non-dominant right foot.

He had quite a few good moments, as well. Twice breaking forward on the left in the first half, he could've had a penalty as well (advantage led to their goal), then in the second half he played a nice through ball into the area on the left and then late in the game on the right he crossed to the far post for a header which was topped over and finally had the shot at the far post.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102588 on: January 26, 2021, 11:04:30 am »
Kaide Gordon expected to sign for the Premier League champions TODAY. [@SkySportsPL]

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #102589 on: January 26, 2021, 11:18:01 am »
Highlights here -  https://youtu.be/ZM37qvtDaMo
Our #9 Harvey Blair looked pretty good here. How's he doing this season?

And good luck to Gordon, hope to see him soon.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102590 on: January 26, 2021, 11:54:24 am »
Our #9 Harvey Blair looked pretty good here. How's he doing this season?

And good luck to Gordon, hope to see him soon.
He was injured in one of the first matches and was only just coming back before they stopped over winter. Seemed to be doing ok as he was coming back.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102591 on: January 26, 2021, 04:52:13 pm »
I was really impressed with Clarkson, surprised he didn't get a go against Villa in the cup.
For those in the know, is he likely to go out on loan this month/season or could we see him making the squad for Premier league and/or Champions league games?
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102592 on: January 26, 2021, 10:02:20 pm »
I was really impressed with Clarkson, surprised he didn't get a go against Villa in the cup.
For those in the know, is he likely to go out on loan this month/season or could we see him making the squad for Premier league and/or Champions league games?
I wouldnt claim any knowledge but I am guessing most unlikely to go out on loan.  The Echo had talked of loans for Millar (he did score his first for Chalrton tonight, which was the winner) and Sepp van den Berg, but not others Clarkson or Cain.   Also because Clarkson is rather small and slight, slighter than the younger Harvey Elliott, so dropping down leagues might be difficult, and finally because Koop is a firm believer than some can learn as much from training with the firsts than going out on loan. 

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102593 on: January 27, 2021, 05:59:10 pm »
Drawn at home to Marseille in the UEFA youth League

https://www.uefa.com/uefayouthleague/draws/2021/2001406/

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102594 on: January 30, 2021, 01:26:02 pm »
I really think Klopp overestimated Billy after he joined the firsts in pre-season.  He always makes errors that lead to goals.  Bit like Sepp vdberg in his first year.  Sepp is now pretty good.  I’m sure Billy will be good - klopp knows a lot more than I do - but he’s a weak link in the U23s at the moment. 

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #102595 on: January 30, 2021, 01:27:24 pm »
Under 23’s two goals down against Man U. On LFC channel.

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102596 on: January 30, 2021, 01:42:25 pm »
The refs at this level are shite too!!!

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102597 on: January 30, 2021, 01:45:55 pm »
2-2!!!

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102598 on: January 30, 2021, 02:30:40 pm »
Penalty has turned up at the training ground. Guess who for! United 4-2. Cheating bastards.

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102599 on: January 30, 2021, 02:36:36 pm »
They might be cheating bastards but they keep putting their chances away. Too many mistakes today by the young reds.