Author Topic: Place names not on the map  (Read 33712 times)

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
Re: Place names not on the map
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2020, 01:02:22 pm »
I think it still has its original name, but the massive roundabout (traffic island) in Seaforth is called the Big Island (who names these things?  ::)) but it has undergone massive changes where they've put a road right though it!

It was/is an important landmark to mention when you were giving someone directions.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2020, 01:33:11 pm »
I think it still has its original name, but the massive roundabout (traffic island) in Seaforth is called the Big Island (who names these things?  ::)) but it has undergone massive changes where they've put a road right though it!

It was/is an important landmark to mention when you were giving someone directions.
Big Island is how I know it as well  :thumbup
Before the age of satnav's, If I was directing a wagon driver to get to Switch Island, I'd say to do a right at the little island under the flyover, and this'll take you to the big island, second left is the road you want off this.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2020, 03:59:49 pm »
Every area had its own raller..ours was by Kirkdale station, we used to slide down the grass embankment on a piece of plastic & stop ourselves at the bottom with our feet where there was a wall about 12 inches high..there was a drop beyond that small wall of about 60ft

Playing out we called it!  :D

Reminds me when as kids we use to go the Pier Head. By the Maritime there was a fence that stopped you getting by the Albert Dock. Hanging over the river was a semi circle metal thing with spikes on. We use to climb around it. One slip and it was a 20ft drop into the Mersey.

Playing out indeed.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2020, 04:44:14 pm »
Reminds me when as kids we use to go the Pier Head. By the Maritime there was a fence that stopped you getting by the Albert Dock. Hanging over the river was a semi circle metal thing with spikes on. We use to climb around it. One slip and it was a 20ft drop into the Mersey.

Playing out indeed.

:D

..and the was never a thought of what if.
Some of the things you'd get up to..overlooking our raller there was a factory called Nixons which had closed down, it either made beef/chicken paste or supplied the jars/lids for those who did.
The place was well boarded up..but we found a way in  :D

We'd clamber up this wall which was so dangerous in itself to about 15ft,across the loose topped wall..thro a shed load of barbed wire,up another 8-10 ft of walling & then it got stupid dangerous,there was a few that couldn't do it but  a small army of us did..after the last climb there was a walk across an RSJ to get in..maybe 12ft span with fuck all either side of you & a drop of around 25ft to the floor below..and you were in!
Once you were in we'd stay there most of the day fucking about..manhunt etc
The best thing about being in there was when the factory shut down..they left behind about 5 billion tops off the paste jars, not like the small ones today..these were probably a bit smaller than todays jam jar lids.
From the flat roof 5 floors up we'd be tossing these lids in the direction down the raller to see who could get the furthest..stupid looking back but we were kids.
Then there was the ominous return journey getting out which always seemed worse..

Some of the things eh..

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:45:57 pm by Medellin »
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2020, 04:50:44 pm »
:D

..and the was never a thought of what if.
Some of the things you'd get up to..overlooking our raller there was a factory called Nixons which had closed down, it either made beef/chicken paste or supplied the jars/lids for those who did.
The place was well boarded up..but we found a way in  :D

We'd clamber up this wall which was so dangerous in itself to about 15ft,across the loose topped wall..thro a shed load of barbed wire,up another 8-10 ft of walling & then it got stupid dangerous,there was a few that couldn't do it but  a small army of us did..after the last climb there was a walk across an RSJ to get in..maybe 12ft span with fuck all either side of you & a drop of around 25ft to the floor below..and you were in!
Once you were in we'd stay there most of the day fucking about..manhunt etc
The best thing about being in there was when the factory shut down..they left behind about 5 billion tops off the paste jars, not like the small ones today..these were probably a bit smaller than todays jam jar lids.
From the flat roof 5 floors up we'd be tossing these lids in the direction down the raller to see who could get the furthest..stupid looking back but we were kids.
Then there was the ominous return journey getting out which always seemed worse..

Some of the things eh..

Great stories and great days. Once we climbed down the steps by the Pier Head and we were all on the bottom few steps. My 4 year old cousin slipped on the moss on the steps and ended up in the Mersey and our Ste his elder brother pulled him out. That needed some explaining that one when we all got home.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:53:53 pm by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #165 on: January 24, 2020, 05:07:58 pm »
Great stories and great days. Once we climbed down the steps by the Pier Head and we were all on the bottom few steps. My 4 year old cousin slipped on the moss on the steps and ended up in the Mersey and our Ste his elder brother pulled him out. That needed some explaining that one when we all got home.

;D

..and the days you got home with no knees in your kex & got whacked!

Kids today..don't know they are fucking born most of them.
We were barely out of nappies & forging saveaway tickets for a day out to West Kirkby..a bit of selotape,an old saveaway and a precision knife is all you needed to get a few weeks out of 1 saveaway!

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2020, 05:28:11 pm »

Now they've put the road right through it it's called a hamburger island, but no one actually calls it by that name.

I went round it twice this morning. Now it's a hamburger island it makes it easier for traffic going to and from the docks.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2020, 05:34:12 pm »
;D

..and the days you got home with no knees in your kex & got whacked!

Kids today..don't know they are fucking born most of them.
We were barely out of nappies & forging saveaway tickets for a day out to West Kirkby..a bit of selotape,an old saveaway and a precision knife is all you needed to get a few weeks out of 1 saveaway!

I was an amazing saveaway forger. I use to rub the old date away so much that the new one fitted perfectly over it. A few of mine actually were in the hands of the blakey and he never got onto it.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: January 24, 2020, 05:41:17 pm »
I think I grafted a scaple from school so I got the perfect cut from the one I was putting on. I missed vocation in life I reckon.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: January 24, 2020, 05:57:40 pm »
I also seem to remember not using sellotape either . I think I use to put a bit of glue on the back.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: January 24, 2020, 06:38:54 pm »
Now they've put the road right through it it's called a hamburger island, but no one actually calls it by that name.

I went round it twice this morning. Now it's a hamburger island it makes it easier for traffic going to and from the docks.

Maybe they should put a Maccie Ds there  ;D

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2020, 12:11:45 pm »
Just stumbled in to this.

Anyone here recall Duckhams Bend? Used to be painted large on the wall of the sharp 90°turn on Mab Lane as you enter Canny Farm. In the early years of the estate, the wall was always getting flattened by cars taking the bend too fast, but someone would always repaint it. When they built Brookie (Brookside) they redid the wall and the writing is no longer there, but original residents of the estate still refer to it as Duckhams Bend. I always thought it was a reference to a race track or suchlike.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2020, 12:48:03 pm »

Anyone here recall Duckhams Bend? Used to be painted large on the wall of the sharp 90°turn on Mab Lane as you enter Canny Farm. In the early years of the estate, the wall was always getting flattened by cars taking the bend too fast, but someone would always repaint it. When they built Brookie (Brookside) they redid the wall and the writing is no longer there, but original residents of the estate still refer to it as Duckhams Bend. I always thought it was a reference to a race track or suchlike.

Yeh, I remember it well as I used to go out with a lovely girl from Canny Farm.

I used to go and hang around the Brookie set too - sad git aren't I?  ;D

Saw a few of the cast members in the village (West Derby) boozers around that time too.

Yeh, there's a name too The Village. The one I know is the West Derby one, but I reckon there are others.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2020, 12:58:00 pm »
Yeh, I remember it well as I used to go out with a lovely girl from Canny Farm.

I used to go and hang around the Brookie set too - sad git aren't I?  ;D

Saw a few of the cast members in the village (West Derby) boozers around that time too.

Yeh, there's a name too The Village. The one I know is the West Derby one, but I reckon there are others.

I grew up on Baycliffe Road and went to Mabby but have no recollection of the painted words. I remember Brookie when it was fields. When the started to buid it we use to go around and get a legger of the cocky watchman.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2020, 10:23:19 pm »
For years I often wondered where, or what Little Bongs was. I'd heard reference to it countless times, passed it on the bus thousands of times yet didnt know if it was an area, fiction or what.

Turns out its a hidden street of terraced houses in Knotty Ash.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: January 26, 2020, 12:04:48 am »
For years I often wondered where, or what Little Bongs was. I'd heard reference to it countless times, passed it on the bus thousands of times yet didnt know if it was an area, fiction or what.

Turns out its a hidden street of terraced houses in Knotty Ash.

It's actually in the AZ though .

Boooo...   gerrrrofff lad .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2020, 12:47:41 pm »
It's actually in the AZ though .

Boooo...   gerrrrofff lad .

:D I havent picked up an AZ since I was 10!!
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2020, 02:55:55 pm »
Just remember when I was a kid my dad used to disappear to some unknown local places like -

The Nags, The Queens, The Jolly, The Banjo, The Big House - never did find out where these places were  ;D

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2020, 03:01:29 pm »
Just remember when I was a kid my dad used to disappear to some unknown local places like -

The Nags, The Queens, The Jolly, The Banjo, The Big House - never did find out where these places were  ;D

Or the one my mother in law used to call her husbands local “ The Gluepot “ because once he went in there he got stuck in there

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2020, 03:34:42 pm »
The raller for us ran from Kirkby into town or the other way into Wigan. The Wigan bit was the diesels and right past my junior school (Overdale). In games, we'd be playing footy and every now and again a shot would clear the fence and land on the tracks. With the teachers permission, one of us would go through the gap in the fence and get the ball back. They'd get sacked for that now ;D

Where the raller got to Aintree, at the back of Kirkby golf course was all this wasteland and there was this slope we called the G force or ski jump, it dropped about 40 to 50 ft and then rose back up about 8ft, you could get some serious air on a bike. Anyone into BMX will know a tabletop is where you lay the bike flat in the air, then get it upright for landing - I got the laid flat bit sorted and that was it, hit the ground like a sack of spuds ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2020, 05:35:13 pm »
OP you know what? This'd make a good little hard back book.

You know the type you get in Liverpool shops, gift shops and touristy shops.

You could even add short stories of the places by either people on here or out there.

£4.99 - put me down for one  :wave

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2020, 04:00:23 pm »
Has Holy Corner been mentioned yet ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2020, 05:23:58 pm »
Has Holy Corner been mentioned yet ?

If it's a meeting place for vicars then yes, if not enlighten us...

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2020, 05:53:09 pm »
If it's a meeting place for vicars then yes, if not enlighten us...

Big hint in the description!  :D

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2020, 07:05:19 pm »
Anyone heard of Ourgate?

When we couldn't afford a proper holiday we'd always go there.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: January 31, 2020, 01:24:50 am »
Anyone heard of Ourgate?

When we couldn't afford a proper holiday we'd always go there.

Yep, that was often the answer when we asked our parents where we would be going on holiday.  :-\

Another place that got a mention for the same question was Windowview.  ::)

You seem to know a lot of places north of the city so, do you remember The Piggeries?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:27:31 am by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: January 31, 2020, 07:41:45 am »
Yep, that was often the answer when we asked our parents where we would be going on holiday.  :-\

Another place that got a mention for the same question was Windowview.  ::)

You seem to know a lot of places north of the city so, do you remember The Piggeries?

Ha ha Windowview  ;D

The Piggeries does ring a bell in the fact that I've definitely heard the name, but the only thing I can think of is it might be part of the old Tannery? Maybe not.

There's also the Chickeny too.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2020, 02:18:33 pm »
Ha ha Windowview  ;D

The Piggeries does ring a bell in the fact that I've definitely heard the name, but the only thing I can think of is it might be part of the old Tannery? Maybe not.

No, it's not part of the old tannery. It is on the canal though. Just behind the Tailor's Arms pub on Cookson's Bridge over the canal on Gorsey Lane.

I don't know the Chickeny. Where is/was that?

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #188 on: January 31, 2020, 02:53:47 pm »
No, it's not part of the old tannery. It is on the canal though. Just behind the Tailor's Arms pub on Cookson's Bridge over the canal on Gorsey Lane.

Never done it but isn't that a little bit of resin?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #189 on: January 31, 2020, 05:03:13 pm »
Ha ha Windowview  ;D

Weren't the Piggeries a block if flats near Everton Brow?

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: January 31, 2020, 05:46:34 pm »

Ah, Tailors Arms - also known locally as Cookies.

So what's the deal behind that name then? Y'know, the piggeries?

And the Chickeny was 2 things:

1. A chicken factory on Bridle Road where they would slaughter chickens.
I remember once a truck carrying all the dead innards and guts crashed on Bridle and all the stuff was all over the road - the dogs and birds loved it though.
Also, you would often hear of but never see the myth of the 100s of chickens that had fallen off the conveyor belts after having their heads chopped off and running wild in the yards with a man havng the job of catching them and throwing them back in.

2. The waste land when the factory was demolished was also known as the Chickeny.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 06:12:06 pm by liverbloke »

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: January 31, 2020, 06:13:46 pm »
Hey, just thought on - got another for youse.

Have you heard of Tin Town.

There's most probably more, but there's only the one I know of.

All answers written on the back of a £10 note and sent to my address please.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: January 31, 2020, 06:43:11 pm »
Ah, Tailors Arms - also known locally as Cookies.

So what's the deal behind that name then?

And the Chickeny was 2 things:

1. A chicken factory on Bridle Road where they would slaughter chickens.
I remember once a truck carrying all the dead innards and guts crashed on Bridle and all the stuff was all over the road - the dogs and birds loved it though.
Also, you would often hear of but never see the myth of the 100s of chickens that had fallen off the conveyor belts after having their heads chopped off and running wild in the yards with a man havng the job of catching them and throwing them back in.

2. The waste land when the factory was demolished was also known as the Chickeny.

Yes, although it was really the Tailors Arms, it's pretty much always been known locally as Cookson's or Cookies after being run by Jim Cookson after WWII.

Do you mean the Piggeries name? If so, the area was farm land long before the Ford and Pendle estates were built. I can only assume there was a pig farm behind the pub. The Piggeries are a wooded area running alongside the canal. A bit of a weird place too. We used to night fish on the canal opposite the Piggeries and you'd hear all sorts of noises coming from in there. One night a pervert was watching us through the trees directly opposite our swim. We absolutely shit it when he stripped off and started to get into the water. We shot off over the wall like cats on fire. We left our gear on the canal bank and sat in a block of flats on Ford Lane until first light.

Ah, the chicken factory. I remember now. I also remember seeing the workers in all-white clothes and white wellies.  :)

Do you remember the sausage works too?

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: January 31, 2020, 06:48:00 pm »
Hey, just thought on - got another for youse.

Have you heard of Tin Town.

There's most probably more, but there's only the one I know of.

All answers written on the back of a £10 note and sent to my address please.

I know Tin Town.  8)

Bordered by Church Road, Moss Lane, Kirkstone Road and Boundary Road.

You didn't leave your address, hence no Pavarotti.  ;)

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: January 31, 2020, 07:06:50 pm »
Weren't the Piggeries a block if flats near Everton Brow?

They were on William Henry Street.

http://www.towerblock.eca.ed.ac.uk/development/william-henry-street-0

I remember riding my bike into town and going that way. Honestly, it was like a war zone. Sectarian graffiti all over the place. IRA stuff, FTQ and in other parts nearby it was all FTP and other anti-catholic stuff. It was as rough as a bear's arse around there.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #195 on: January 31, 2020, 07:27:15 pm »
...Sectarian graffiti all over the place.

Yes, pretty much how I remember it being...

...It was as rough as a bear's arse around there.

And then some. It was one of the few places back then that I was always a bit concerned about my car breaking down in on my way home.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2020, 07:40:16 pm »
Yes, pretty much how I remember it being...

And then some. It was one of the few places back then that I was always a bit concerned about my car breaking down in on my way home.

I saw that graffiti, or at least the very same sentiments in massive letters. Also lots of ''God Bless Our Pope'' too.

It must have been pretty grim living around there in those days. I can imagine it was something of a battleground considering the opposing factions living so close together.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #197 on: January 31, 2020, 07:54:36 pm »
It must have been pretty grim living around there in those days.

I imagine so. Like a good few places around town and estates around the suburbs, through the 70's it went into a downward spiral of decay and deprivation and I imagine a degree of dumping of various sad cases and undesirables by the council which wouldn't have helped the situation. It must have been really depressing trying to live there. I remember that road sometimes had breeze blocks lying in it in the evening that kids had put there. It's vaguely understandable as there was not a lot else for them to do.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #198 on: January 31, 2020, 09:07:35 pm »
Yes, although it was really the Tailors Arms, it's pretty much always been known locally as Cookson's or Cookies after being run by Jim Cookson after WWII.

Do you mean the Piggeries name? If so, the area was farm land long before the Ford and Pendle estates were built. I can only assume there was a pig farm behind the pub. The Piggeries are a wooded area running alongside the canal. A bit of a weird place too. We used to night fish on the canal opposite the Piggeries and you'd hear all sorts of noises coming from in there. One night a pervert was watching us through the trees directly opposite our swim. We absolutely shit it when he stripped off and started to get into the water. We shot off over the wall like cats on fire. We left our gear on the canal bank and sat in a block of flats on Ford Lane until first light.

Ah, the chicken factory. I remember now. I also remember seeing the workers in all-white clothes and white wellies.  :)

Do you remember the sausage works too?
If its the same place I'm thinking of it was a Victorian rubbish tip.
We had some cracking bottles out of it  8)
Last time I saw it it looked like the surface of the moon  ;D
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #199 on: January 31, 2020, 10:16:14 pm »
I saw that graffiti, or at least the very same sentiments in massive letters. Also lots of ''God Bless Our Pope'' too.

It must have been pretty grim living around there in those days. I can imagine it was something of a battleground considering the opposing factions living so close together.

If I recall some Irish itinerants drove into an Orange Lodge parade around there in the 1970s. It was the last thrashing of sectarianism in the City but the area was covered in anti Popery graffiti. There's a good example if this in the 1968 film 'The Reckoning' when a successful businessman returns from London to investigate the death of his dad in the Everton area.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 10:19:01 pm by So... Howard Phillips »