Author Topic: Notorious Liverpool Pubs - Then and Now  (Read 85726 times)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Re: Notorious Liverpool Pubs - Then and Now
« Reply #80 on: August 2, 2013, 09:11:31 pm »
Friday night in The Peacock was an eye opener when you were 17 and fresh off a weeks graft on Kirkby Industrial estate.......one of the first times I was in there a local fuckin loon foreshadowed the Begbie scene in Trainspotting by quite a few years by hurling a full pint-pot over his head and right into the middle of a crowd at the bar....you can imagine the ensuing carnage..

I was at Uni when Trainspotting came out and saw it on the cinema with student mates...had an earnest discussion with a couple of them after the film as they thought  Robert Carlisle's character was far fetched/hard to believe...oh how I larfed
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline cliffm

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • The thing about common sense is it isn't common
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2013, 05:24:46 pm »
The Eagle and Child (now happily defunct), was the one for me.  Went in against my will (lass asked me to) and ordered 2 halves so I could get out soonest.  Turned up in 2 girl's glasses.  I asked the barman to change it (had to shout down the bar) and he shouts back "who's the fing tart who's drinking halves then"?  Tried to make a joke out of it (with my suit on..just finished work)..stoney silence.
The lass says to me, keep hold of your glass, there's a guy there who will come over and pick it up and drink it to start a fight.  I couldn't believe she'd asked me to go in there! Maybe she liked fellas fighting over her.  Shit hole.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2013, 08:32:20 am »
^ ha ha

brutal

Lovely story

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2013, 04:29:08 pm »
Ha ha quality ^

lot's of potential in this thread.

I did venture into the aforementioned E&C and the Bow and Arrow which was rather exciting in the 80s.

You need to get some of the arl fellas from the auld arsed thread.

Being a halewood lad there's a few tales about the gren, the leather bottle, the halewood hotel and the bents when I've got my typing finger going. I was also present at the orient fruit machine riot which was the worst violence in south Liverpool in 1983 (true story).

Halewood Hotel:

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2013, 08:38:43 pm »
Coach and Horses on Lodge Lane could get a bit scary but always boss gear from the kiters and shoplifters who would sell their wares there.

Someone mentioned the Weighing Machine on Wavertree Road. Used to be half decent boozer tbf. There was the Top Bents opposite and the Coffee House which were sound and frequented by much the same lads
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2013, 01:30:14 pm »
I was also present at the orient fruit machine riot which was the worst violence in south Liverpool in 1983 (true story).

What happened there like? ???
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2013, 06:31:13 pm »
What happened there like? ???

Slight exaggeration. My bird switched the fruit machine off by mistake.
There was a small riot like :)

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline JohnM

• Mystic tealeaf reader
  • Anny Roader
  • That's how they roll.
« Reply #88 on: October 2, 2013, 11:26:58 am »
There was always a few boozers in South Liverpool, The Dingle that were a bit scary if you was not a regular.

The Royal Oak bottom of Park Road
The Crow's Nest Mill Street
Black Georges Top of Park Road this is where Robbie Fowler nearly got his leg broken after he thought he could play the big man with a few L8 Gansters.

Great atmosphere in these pubs.
JohnM

Do all that is necessary and nothing that is not

Herby

« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2013, 02:48:26 pm »
The Yatesies by the tunnel and Moorfields could be colourful

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2013, 05:59:47 pm »
The Yatesies by the tunnel and Moorfields could be colourful
My personal fave the one on Moorfields.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2013, 09:26:48 pm »
 ;)     :wave

Is that top one, The Blob Shop, or a different older Yates's?

As for the Moorfields Yates's. I remember going in to it in the 80s, and from memory it's probably one of the roughest pubs (in terms of just shithole, packed with alcoholics and very odd people) I've ever been in, and trust me.   I've been in some shitholes in my time, I can tell you.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2013, 08:07:20 pm »
You must of went in on Tuesday's. ;D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Herby

« Reply #93 on: November 2, 2013, 01:32:27 pm »
I got boo'd out of the Moorfield's Yatesies when I puked over the bar

Offline jimbo196843

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #94 on: November 5, 2013, 05:50:46 pm »
What about the Penny Black in Whiston, it was like a saloon!! The Bow and Arrow was reasonably bad, all those Huyton boozers were quite naughty as was that Ferraris nightclub

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: November 5, 2013, 06:15:05 pm »
Remember about thirty years ago , was working on the belle vale estate and as was the norm we used to go to the nearest pub for a couple of pints and usually a burger or sarnie . Goes in the cats whiskers of hartsbourne avenue orders two pints and asks the manager what food they do ...he just snarled and said crisps !

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: November 8, 2013, 03:58:51 pm »
Halewood Hotel:

Halewood, just off torry.

The night the set the Halewood Hotel on fire it was like the sun didn't go down all night, beautiful.

Offline generic_name

• Kopite
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2013, 08:06:19 pm »
Remember about thirty years ago , was working on the belle vale estate and as was the norm we used to go to the nearest pub for a couple of pints and usually a burger or sarnie . Goes in the cats whiskers of hartsbourne avenue orders two pints and asks the manager what food they do ...he just snarled and said crisps !

Funnily enough

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-39831385.html?premiumA=true

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2013, 08:59:31 pm »
Not notorious but the was a pub on Window lane in Garston called thr Canterbury rsn by a proper old scouser called Joe Dunn. Joe would let me and me mate play pool when we were about 15 as long as we didnt mess about. One night he was telling his regulars (mild and bitter, no lager) about how he had caught an arse bandit giving his partner a blow job in the pool room.                "I TOLD HIM ANYMORE OF THAT AN YA BARRED!"                Cue all the arl fellas looking worriedly at their pint pots.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2013, 10:26:05 pm »
just seen that story about The Weighing Machine in Wavertree
I'm pretty sure, as Wavertree resident for about a decade, that where the pub is was actually Edge Hill (the district where I was born).

When I went to Rome in 1977 for the final with a couple of mates we had a tremendous drinking session around the corner from the Vatican with three middle-aged fellow Scousers and a really nice group of Moenchengladbach fans. One of the three Scousers was apparently the manager of the Eagle and Child. A proper good laugh he was too. Another of them was also a landlord somewhere not too far away. The Hare and Hounds rings a bell, but I'm not sure.

Another E&C connection is that one of my crazy cousins was a bouncer there. A right nutter he was too

Offline bigbrillo

• Boys Pen
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2014, 10:55:54 pm »
used to drink in there when peter stockley was running it

very interesting evenings indeed

anyone remember the saw dust and  rat and mice gambling ??

Offline BUSHMILLS

• PEBBLEHOUSE. Your auntie's agent provocateur.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never ask what's under his patio
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2014, 12:34:58 am »
The Woodpecker and The Roughwood in Kirkby were something else.

Offline cliffm

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • The thing about common sense is it isn't common
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2014, 08:24:00 am »
The Clubship Landfall anyone?

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2014, 09:37:23 am »
Another E&C connection is that one of my crazy cousins was a bouncer there. A right nutter he was too
The Bouncer equivalent of getting a first in Oxbridge followed by a Nobel prize in Astrophysics ;).
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Paul5star

• Main Stander
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2014, 09:42:16 am »
The Lousey House by Bankhall was a bad one! Reminded me of the film Roadhouse!

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2014, 01:17:40 pm »
It used to seem as a kid that all rough alehouses always had a dog (normally a German Shepherd) on the roof which use to bark down at you. A few years ago we went to a pub 'over the border' in Widnes called The Sporting Ford, it had a reputation as a rough arse ale house but when we arrived we found it to be a typical 'estate pub' with a bookies next to it. The landlord was a fanatical Rangers fan and had some mongrel dog that looked like a wolf, it was allowed to roam the bar which actually made me nervous.
On this particular day me and my three mates were in there having a swig when I heard the landlord shout, "SHANE - SHANE", Shane was the dog and it come round sniffing at our table.
My mate had a brand new Campari coat on which at the time was all the rage, and had hung it on the back of his chair.

I was in the bogs when I heard shouting and barking outside, going out I could see the dog with my mates Campari in its mouth, shaking it like a dog shakes a rat. My mate was trying to pull the coat out of its jaws, whilst shouting, "LET GO YER BASTARD", getting no joy he promptly picks up my pint of Guinness and swills the dog in the face! The landlord exploded, "YER SWILLED ME DOG, YER LITTLE BASTARD YER SWILLED ME FOOKIN DOG, SHANE, SHANE - KILL!"
Needless to say we were told to leave immediately and not darken the door ever again haha!
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2014, 04:43:14 pm »
^ ha ha

classic

There was an Ali on the leather bottle roof in the 70s :D

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2014, 07:40:45 am »
Not a pub, but the Gladray should get an honourable mention. I was trying to get in there once with a couple of mates one afternoon but there was a trememndous scuffle going on as the doorman (a John Shaft lookalike - leather jacket, afro etc) was clubbing some bloke with a large piece of wood, baseball bat style. Not to be detered, we said excuse me and tried to squeeze past into the bar whereupon Shaft, interrupting his clubbing activities, turns to us nice as pie and says, "That'll be 30P please lads (this is the 70's)", we obliged entered the bar and he continued with his contractual obligations.

Saw a great fight in there once between two business man types?! fighting over some bird who was trying to be posh until she fell backwards off one of those high bar stools. The two blokes were so drunk, and the fight was so hilarious that the bouncers just let it continue, and it did - for hours. It was was like two blind blokes on the deck of a ship in a hurricane.

Someone previously mentioned a story of someones wife bringing their Sunday dinner into the middle of a raucous Sunday afternoon session and it reminded me of a similar incident in the Top House in Walton. This was supposed to bring great shame upon the recipient of the Sunday roast, but as she crashed it down on the table and stormed out of the boozer, the bloke says with great matrimonial pride, "How many blokes wives would do that for them eh".
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline call me red

• Main Stander
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2014, 09:25:20 pm »
The Gladray`s a good shout we were in there one afternoon it was chocker there was a good looking young barmaid working next minute she comes comes round with apint glass and says if everyone chips in an fills the glass with change she`ll do a strip on stage and she did. There used to be few clubs round there there that were good for a bevy after the Pubs shut at 3 one was the Nigeria Social Club in the Cellar of an almost derelict house.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2014, 08:19:35 am »
Yaru bar, bottom of Lodge lane on ullet road.

2 kilos of beak seized at the Greyhound yesterday.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2016, 02:24:56 pm »
I hate the way almost every pub in Town now seems to be Weatherspoons or Yate's.

Has anybody else fucked off all the Spoon's and Yate's?

When I first did this was  just after the Yankee had closed.  Didn't know it had closed so I was a bit upset when I got there and it was boarded up.  So I just went to Coopers and the Globe.

Went in the Big House before the United match but you needed to pay to go in the back room cos Barney Rubble was in there doing a speech or something.  It's proper wool in there now.

The only traditional Scouse pubs that I know, still in Town are Coopers and The Globe.

I'm not sure what I mean by 'traditional scouse', it's hard to explain but I suppose a back room is a must.

Any good proper scouse pubs left in Town?

As for notorious, I'll go with me arl local, The Eden Vale in Netherton.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:26:48 pm by SuperWool075 »
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2016, 02:51:48 pm »
Any good proper scouse pubs left in Town?

Philharmonic, Ye Cracke both have the back rooms you desire good sir.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2016, 03:04:16 pm »
Philharmonic, Ye Cracke both have the back rooms you desire good sir.

Ta mate. 

Philharmonic looks like it does food though so I suspect there's a few kids and shoppers in there, so that might exclude it from 'traditional scouse'.

I imagine Ye Cracke is a bit touristy these days as well but might give it a go.

I'd say 'Traditional Scouse' pubs are probably the ones you'd avoid for a family meal.  Looking for pubs where you can get slaughtered with your mates in the back room and swear as much as you like, etc. before jumping the bus / cab to Anfield.

I'll give them a go but I think I'll end up feeling a bit let down like when I made my first appearance in about 20 years to the Big House.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2016, 12:27:57 am »
I'm not sure what I mean by 'traditional scouse', it's hard to explain but I suppose a back room is a must.

The Roscoe Head is ok. Roscoe St. off Hardman St.  :hally

Also, Liverpool's oldest pub, Ye Hole in the Wall on Hackins Hey.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 12:33:26 am by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2016, 10:31:31 am »
If Mad Max was still here, he'd probably recommend you Kozy's,   The ales not too expensive, and the place is full of 'characters'!

Traditional Scouse pubs (if there is such a thing, as it's quite a wide ranging subject). - Pen and Wig, The Croc, White Star(to a point), Shenannigans(Yeah, it's an Irish pub, but it has a good mix of people), Vauxhall Vaults, The Richmond, The Beehive, ..... and then any one of about 6-8 around Great Charlotte street, and the bottom of Mount pleasant, and Renshaw street.   All normal boozers that haven't yet been gentrified, and can still be a bit rough and ready at times.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2016, 12:25:25 pm »
Richie,
Did you take any pics of the red pepper on rice lane whilst you were shooting all those boozers you done?
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2016, 01:50:44 pm »
Richie,
Did you take any pics of the red pepper on rice lane whilst you were shooting all those boozers you done?

I can't think which one was the red pepper?   Enlighten me.

The name doesn't readily come to mind, so it might of been close, or been under another name at the time.

Edit: Just google imaged it.

I don't think that premises were open at the time.  It deffo wasn't open during the day, when most of my photo's were shot.

I'll have a look for you over the next couple of days, but if I have any shots they will only be from outside. deffo don't remember entering said boozer.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:56:27 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2016, 02:55:34 pm »
I can't think which one was the red pepper?   Enlighten me.

The name doesn't readily come to mind, so it might of been close, or been under another name at the time.

Edit: Just google imaged it.

I don't think that premises were open at the time.  It deffo wasn't open during the day, when most of my photo's were shot.

I'll have a look for you over the next couple of days, but if I have any shots they will only be from outside. deffo don't remember entering said boozer.

Nice one.
We used to go there for a late bevvy if we couldn't be arsed going into town,most classed it as a nightclub but it was such a dingey hole it would be wrong to classify it as such.
Quite notorious sometimes as it was all on 1st floor level..if it went off (and it often did) the brawl would eventually end in all parties batlling/falling down the stairs.
It had the smallest pisser i've ever seen & 'the pepper' as we called it..if you came out of there without company for the night you were obviously too pissed to do anything!
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2016, 03:07:33 pm »
If Mad Max was still here, he'd probably recommend you Kozy's,   The ales not too expensive, and the place is full of 'characters'!

Traditional Scouse pubs (if there is such a thing, as it's quite a wide ranging subject). - Pen and Wig, The Croc, White Star(to a point), Shenannigans(Yeah, it's an Irish pub, but it has a good mix of people), Vauxhall Vaults, The Richmond, The Beehive, ..... and then any one of about 6-8 around Great Charlotte street, and the bottom of Mount pleasant, and Renshaw street.   All normal boozers that haven't yet been gentrified, and can still be a bit rough and ready at times.

Nice one,

I'll give some of these a go.  I remember Pen and Wig before it was a lap dancing bar, has it gone back to a normal pub now?

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2016, 03:23:29 pm »
Nice one.
We used to go there for a late bevvy if we couldn't be arsed going into town,most classed it as a nightclub but it was such a dingey hole it would be wrong to classify it as such.
Quite notorious sometimes as it was all on 1st floor level..if it went off (and it often did) the brawl would eventually end in all parties batlling/falling down the stairs.
It had the smallest pisser i've ever seen & 'the pepper' as we called it..if you came out of there without company for the night you were obviously too pissed to do anything!
:)
Spent many a night there before it was the Pepper and know what you mean.
There was another similar style of club in a side street near the old Walton trades club but can't remember the name.
Seen some battles inside+outside there over the yrs as well.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis