Author Topic: Keane Will Seize His Second Chance  (Read 18456 times)

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
Keane Will Seize His Second Chance
« on: July 30, 2008, 04:05:02 am »
'Keane Will Seize His Second Chance'

Almost ten years ago, Norman Fox of The Independent wrote that 'players who do fail rarely get a second chance'.

Fox's article had nothing to do with Robbie Keane, although that shouldn't be surprising. In the days before internet scrutiny and constant yellow tickers along the bottom of your television screens, a fresh-faced eighteen year old Irishman was quietly increasing his reputation with Wolverhampton Wanderers, having netted eleven goals in his first season. Enjoying an even better second season, Keane was already on twelve when he slotted home in front of a cold and miserable Prenton Park; but despite his side picking up a 2-1 victory over Tranmere Rovers, his mood probably reflected the 6,179 who attended. A casual stroll through Prenton will eventually lead you a view of Liverpool's beautiful waterfront, one revered by many; but for Keane, a harsh reminder of failure. The failure to play for Liverpool Football Club. If he glanced across the Mersey that night, the famed Liverbirds would have stared back at him and cackled at his decision to reject his boyhood club in order to find first-team football at Wolves.

Keane's career path may have mimicked his turns and twists on the football field with the ball at his feet, but it was never in danger of becoming a failure. If an impressive three years at Wolves and his subsequent £6m move to Coventry City hadn't confirmed this, then the attentions of an unknighted and uncouth Alex Ferguson certainly did. The Manchester United manager's claim that he wouldn't have bought Keane for £500,000 would look rather foolish, particularly when Inter Milan bought the 20 year old from Coventry for £13m. Yet for Keane, his heart still belonged to, and longed for, Liverpool. There is something believable in an image of Keane checking Liverpool's scores every week, perhaps even watching them live on television. He'd have plenty of time to do so, given he only made six appearances for the Nerazzuri although Moratti would later admit his regret at allowing him to leave. Nothing compared to the regret Keane must have felt as he saw his beloved Liverpool win three trophies under Gerard Houllier in the same season. He said at today's press conference that he doesn't regret anything, but watching his boyhood team enjoy domestic and European success challenges that assertion.

As a player who had commanded transfer fees of £38m, there was a worry that Keane could become the most expensive and talented journeyman in world football; a consensus which wasn't helped when he joined struggling mid-table side Tottenham Hotspur. However, he thrived in North London and finally became the player fans and pundits expected, his improvement mirroring that of his club. Winning the club's player of the season award in his first year, Keane hit 29 goals in his first season and a half. Keane, it would appear, was finally happy; even the dodgy soup at Jol's last supper which arguably cost them a European Cup place would not deter his enthusiasm for the club. He and Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov would become Jol's two most important and loved disciples, with the Irishman netting an outstanding fifteen goals in his last fifteen games of the 2006/2007 season. More importantly perhaps was the ability he showed to play behind a man with the quality of Berbatov. Whilst Berbatov's had Sky pundits salivating, it was Keane who whetted their appetite, proving himself to be both a goalscorer and a goal creator.

Co-incidences are common in football; Robbie Keane, as a Liverpool supporter, will attest to that. Simply looking at a list of their recent European conquests shows that the beautiful game can rear it's ugly head as the Anfield side gained revenge over Leverkusen, Juventus, Chelsea and Inter Milan for heartbreaking defeats in the past. The aforementioned Friday night encounter at Prenton Park in January 1998 took place a mere two days before Fox's article was published. Keane's fellow goalscorer for Wolves in that match, incidentally, was Fernando Gomez. Gomez was regarded a legend at Spanish club Valencia CF, making nearly 500 appearences for Los Che. The same club, of course, that Rafael Benitez gained legendary status by winning two La Liga titles in three seasons.

Not that the Liverpool boss would believe in such ridiculous notions of fate and co-incidence. Every reaction is caused by an action for Rafa; if a stack of dominoes tumble, he'll question why the dominoes were placed as such in the first place. He certainly won't have been aware of all these interesting sidenotes to his £20.3m capture, nor will he care. Instead, he will have seen Keane's aforementioned partnership with Berbatov and stored it in that cumulative and augmentative footballing brain of his, especially first-hand last September when Keane scored both of Spurs' goals in a 2-2 draw at Anfield. Benitez will have noted his finishing, movement and creativity; his tenacious nature on and off the ball; as well as the fact he is a born leader, the natural choice to be Tottenham's captain in Ledley King's seemingly inevitable absence. His two finishes will not have been disregarded, either.

Despite his two goals and wild celebrations in front of the traveling Spurs fans, Keane would no doubt cast an envious eye towards the Kop that day; both as a professional and a Liverpool fan; when Fernando Torres netted a last-minute equaliser. Any footballer would love to play behind the Spaniard and most fans would simply love to be him. Scoring a goal in front of the Kop and being greeted with thousands upon thousands of adoring fans bouncing up and down is something any Liverpool fan would give anything for, including Robbie Keane. But at 27, Keane knew he threw that away thirteen years ago and could only look and wish. It appeared that from the dugout, Benitez was doing the same.

Torres' strike partner that day was the much maligned Andriy Voronin. The superlatives which roll of the tongue for Keane simply stumble and stutter for the Ukraine international. Benitez knew that his bosman signing was not good enough and set about giving Keane his second chance, a chance which footballers don't usually get. Playing in a 4-2-3-1 formation, Liverpool excelled in the league; the highlight of Torres and Gerrard's partnership punctuated with the re-emergence of Dirk Kuyt, the potential of Ryan Babel and the craftsmanship of Yossi Benayoun. Yet, there was something missing with Benitez. The Torres and Gerrard partnership brought fifty-five goals throughout the season, yet the trio of Babel, Benayoun and Kuyt only brought 32 between them with a mere eleven being scored in the league. Robbie Keane scored a career-best of 23 goals last season with fifteen coming in the league. On top of that, his partnership with Berbatov will have no doubt opened Benitez's eyes to the possibility of him playing behind a more talented Fernando Torres.

The acquisition of Robbie Keane is one which Liverpool hope bring them that elusive nineteenth league championship, seventeen years after their last success. Although you won't find Benitez admitting it, Liverpool will find themselves looking to emulate Manchester United's system, with the three players behind the main striker interchanging at will, confusing defenders and creating chances for their striker. Robbie Keane fits into this system perfectly. Rafa referenced Keane's intelligence in his press conference; you can almost imagine the hairs standing up on Torres' cuello when he heard of his signing. Whilst Gerrard brings a more physical and athletic aspect to playmaking, Keane is a quicker and more skillful one. It isn't simply Keane's partnership to Torres that Benitez will be hoping excels; his good friend off the field and club captain Steven Gerrard will be hoping for the performances Tottenham fans have been treated to for the past four six years. Gerrard's runs will create space for Keane to run into; Keane's runs will create space for Gerrard to slide the ball into Torres. Most importantly however, Keane will add goals and fifteen in this league campaign would not have even the most pessimistic Liverpool fan objecting. This isn't even taking into consideration the third of the attacking trio, whether it be Kuyt, Babel or Benayoun. One thing Benitez cannot complain about this season is the attacking talent at his disposal.

But what for the man himself; the man who has received that rare second opportunity after he failed to capitalise on his opportunity to play for his boyhood heroes originally? The obligatory Liverpool shirt to parade for the press seemed to radiate an extra hue of red; or perhaps that was brought out by the the whiteness of his teeth, on full display with a typical Dublin smile. To take the number 7 shirt is a large task for Keane, but it is an assignment which would suit no other player. He understands the significance of it and is potentially the most similar to Dalglish to wear the shirt since his departure in 1991. McManaman was a right winger, whilst both Smicer and Kewell struggled with the mid-50s, mumbling Glaswegian monkey on their back. Keane brings a maturity and ever-present nous with him, both with regards to the famous shirt and the football club; yet another reason Benitez has invested over £20m on his new man. Rafa now wants proven quality; those who know how to play in England's top division and have already done so for a sustained period of time. Keane's inclusion doesn't disrupt the team nor their style of play; there are no ifs or buts regarding the signing, he simply makes the first team better equipped to challenge for the title. There were no ifs or buts with regards to Keane himself, either. 'My whole family are Liverpool fans. I remember every Christmas asking for jerseys and tracksuits – it's great now that I get the tracksuits for free' he said to the media, with a passion exuding from him which cannot have a price tag, nor can the relief he feels that he knows, ultimately, he made the right choice at a fourteen year old.

Benitez is not one for sentiment, although a compilation of post-purchase press conferences may attempt to disprove that. Jermaine Pennant and Craig Bellamy's claims of being boyhood Liverpool supporters prompted the infamous response by Gerrard that 'they all say that though, don't they?' For the ruthless and meticulous Benitez, this wouldn't have played a part in their acquisitions. Nor would it have done so when he inquired about Robbie Keane back in March, although you won't hear his new captain mocking or doubting the Irishman's loyalty as a child. It wasn't just football fans who needn't have had constant reminders throughout the years from commentators and journalists alike that he is a Liverpool fan and turned down the chance to join them at the start of his career; Keane himself woke up with that thought every morning. He never thought he would get a second chance, but now he has, and he looks set to seize it with both hands.

In case you were wondering, the original Independent article at the beginning was referring to Ron Atkinson taking over Premier League side Nottingham Forest's managerial position; and how people like him always seem to get a second chance. It's funny what can happen in ten years, isn't it?

(C) L6 Red
« Last Edit: August 1, 2008, 11:41:58 am by Armin »

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
Re: Keane Will Seize His Second Chance
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 04:52:11 am »
Really enjoyable read for 10 to 5 in the morning. Your own?
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 05:09:36 am »
Fuck me, RAWK's on a roll these days.  Who needs newspapers when we've got these fantastic pieces coming days apart.

Great read L6!  :thumbup
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline heatseeker

• Kopite
  • Step by step...
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 05:16:07 am »
Grinning from cheek to cheek, ta L6.
There's no place on this planet, quite like Merseyside - Jegsy Dodd

Offline Lfc Rules

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 05:18:40 am »
Great read, thanks L6 :thumbup
"PLAY FUCKING FOOTBALL!" ~ Jürgen Klopp

Offline The Finn

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 05:35:12 am »
You need to be writing for a paper, top quality read that.

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 05:35:48 am »
If you don't make it as a sports journo, I'll go down on you.
hi

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 05:46:42 am »
Nice read that enjoyed it

thanks L6

Offline S24 LFC

• For Sale!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Part of the establishment
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 05:57:34 am »
Excellent stuff. I don't usually stick with the long articles, but got drawn in by that one. great read
Our round the world trip.

www.getjealous.com/sas091011

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Number 7 is just around the corner!!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 06:01:05 am »
Great piece. Obviously from the heart - but well thought out.

I enjoyed reading that high quality post.

(Posts like these - and the detailed analyses of the players & (possible) formations!!! - make RAWK the best LFC forum by a long shot...

Now if we could just cut back on the suicide jockeys when things don't go all our own way - or the packs of hyenas who delight in vilifying the latest "weakest link"....

ahh well, I can dream, can't I!!)
"After 27 years and 11 days, finally, we got justice for the 96"
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 06:02:34 am »
If you don't make it as a sports journo, I'll go down on you.

No wonder your custom title says you're rather queer   :wave
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 06:05:57 am »
Great article.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline anoop

• Kopite
  • let me in..
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 06:13:24 am »
i thought that was from some paper.
too good

Offline kopindian

• Legacy Fan
    • Films I Watch
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 06:17:06 am »
Fuck me, RAWK's on a roll these days.  Who needs newspapers when we've got these fantastic pieces coming days apart.

Great read L6!  :thumbup

Offline Fern9do

• Main Stander
    • King Kenny's Red Army
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 06:24:19 am »
Brilliant Article Mate!
You definately should be writing professionally.
Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right

Offline LFCsnoopz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 06:24:44 am »
one of the only longer posts i bother to read, great stuff

Offline fowlergod9

• Don't call me a blue.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 06:25:05 am »
oh my god, i thought that was an article for a newspaper, wow! That is quality mate, best post i have every read. 

Offline LegendsLost

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 06:33:09 am »
Brilliant Article Mate!

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 06:46:16 am »
L6, brilliant!

Offline Fernando09

• Legacy Fan
  • can i change my username please...? :(
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 06:48:56 am »
one of the only longer posts i bother to read, great stuff
If I live to be a hundred and Liverpool bring in genius managers who win Quadruples and Quintuples for the club, I'll always point to Rafa as the one who meant the most to me.

-Finn Solomon

Offline Ozzy_Red

• about Sharon in OK magazine again.. Not the sharpest shrimp on the barbie but probably the most irritating
  • Legacy Fan
  • A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 07:01:17 am »
No wonder your custom title says you're rather queer   :wave

:lmao

Rarfer out! Go the Liverpool Reds Football Franchise!

Wanker : Manchester United fan. Follower of Manchester United. Denzien of Manchester. More likely to know more about white dog poo than football.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• about Sharon in OK magazine again.. Not the sharpest shrimp on the barbie but probably the most irritating
  • Legacy Fan
  • A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 07:02:51 am »
I agree, top quality read!  :wellin :thumbup
Rarfer out! Go the Liverpool Reds Football Franchise!

Wanker : Manchester United fan. Follower of Manchester United. Denzien of Manchester. More likely to know more about white dog poo than football.

Offline phoenixblood

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 07:09:12 am »
Good stuff mate - dare to dream? F*ck yeah!
Torres is fucking rubbish,played some decent football 2 years ago and nothing since!  If we buy him,we'll end up paying ridiculous amount of money on some overhyped shite of a player instead of focusing our attention(and money) on some truly world class strikers!!!

Offline justarslan

• Legacy Fan
  • Join Spirit Of Shankly!
    • Spirit Of Shankly
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 07:16:51 am »
Brilliant read mate!
I want to hold my hands up and apologise to Rafa.
Give me the cold steel of the European Cup over a warm smile any day.

Offline ACE1

• Main Stander
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 07:22:29 am »
Love it what a good read, cheers

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 07:35:03 am »
Boss!

Offline guernseygareth

• Main Stander
  • Peace in The Middle East
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 07:45:01 am »
excellent

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 07:47:06 am »
rafa seems to buy players who have played well against us..
benayoun, crouch, bellamy, pennant, now keane..

could he have been blinkered by those performances?
somehow i find that a tad worrying.

White liquid in a bottle. It's milk, for sure.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 07:48:36 am »
good post, made me late, I had to finish it  :D

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 08:23:15 am »
another brilliant post mate, keep them coming :) and as said before:

Offline rutlandred

• Kopite
  • SOS
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 08:34:41 am »
Bored on nightshift, drunken ramble after the pub or something you stayed up to write..?

Either way that was a another Brilliant post L6, something you obviously have a talent and passion for.

A lot can/does happen in 10 years...you never know, Rafa might see me play 5-aside one night and sign me up..!

Cheers for the read..

Offline BrettD

• Legacy Fan
    • Want an accessible website? Click here!
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 08:40:42 am »
Great stuff that, L6.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 08:41:08 am »
Man you really persuaded me to believe we can actually do it this year...Thank you.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 09:01:47 am »
rafa seems to buy players who have played well against us..
benayoun, crouch, bellamy, pennant, now keane..

could he have been blinkered by those performances?
somehow i find that a tad worrying.

Yeah Rafa bought Keane purely because he scored two goals against us

There were no other deciding factors

Offline Jedimills

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 09:03:08 am »
Brilliant piece fella, well structured and articulated.

You need to get your work out there, this is of a much higher standard than most of the pap I read in the papers each morning.

Well done and keep it up.  You are saving me 70p a morning with writing like this, no need to buy a paper.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 09:04:18 am »
Nice one mate, very nice indeed.

Offline kopk1w1

• Loved the freedom, hated the responsibility.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 09:13:36 am »
One thing that most are missing that he has above Villa, Silva et al.

Listening to his press conference / interview on LFCTV is his commitment and drive for the club.

I have no doubt he'll leave nothing at all on the sidelines and that'll do me every time.

Great read BTW
"Hands up who knows what way we're kicking ?"

(Rafa Benitez – Half time.
Ataturk Stadium. Istanbul.
25th May 2005)

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2008, 09:26:35 am »
You should post a lot more, that was a great read.
JFT97

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 09:38:38 am »
Great read

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 09:44:38 am »
You need to be writing for a paper, top quality read that.

Thought that was a James Lawton or Henry Winter piece!

Top, top read.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt