Author Topic: District 9  (Read 18222 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: District 9
« Reply #160 on: January 3, 2010, 09:46:28 pm »
Just watched it, and thought it was very enjoyable. I really enjoyed the violent deaths.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2010, 04:36:26 pm »
Anyone have a 1080p version of this with Alien Subs?

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2010, 04:50:06 pm »
Went to watch this today, is it meant to be a comedy?
Sounds like a case of genre straightjacket here, And Could He Play. Not bad eh, Sci Fi, Comedy and Social Commentary rolled into one. Really liked it.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:52:42 pm by RedmeisterOZ »
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2010, 06:02:04 pm »
Watched this last week. Very unique and original plot/concept, the use of CGI is brilliant and not overplayed at all, the beginning of the film where it was documentrary style was really funny. Really enjoyed it and can't wait for a sequel, the director said he'd make another film if this went down well and it certainly has!
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2010, 07:20:52 pm »
Sounds like a case of genre straightjacket here, And Could He Play. Not bad eh, Sci Fi, Comedy and Social Commentary rolled into one. Really liked it.

Just laughed all the way through it, Prawns with basketball tops on robbing security vans, armed with ak467's is fucked up shit.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:24:01 pm by And Could He Play »
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

royhendo

« Reply #165 on: January 31, 2010, 10:55:11 pm »
Just saw this today - absolutely brilliant.

royhendo

« Reply #166 on: January 31, 2010, 11:08:00 pm »
The dirty realism vibe is very original, third-world sci-fi, the dynamics of the tensions in South African society and how they relate to this movie, I don't think they are clear cut, but it powers the movie and gives it a real resonance.

Ahm not fookin' shooting that fookin' prawn.

^^^^ Best line in the movie that. All connoisseurs of the Seth Afrikan accent will dig this film alot.

LOL spot on mate :)

Offline mildale

• Mildly Jealous of a custom title
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: January 31, 2010, 11:30:30 pm »
Got this on DVD and thought it was brilliant, I was pleased with the way it ended with the 'prawn' not coming back as it hadnt been the 3 years but my girlfriend wasn't, even tho she really enjoyed it too, i like when the ending still leaves questions. Heard there would be a sequel which normally i dont like, but it seems the directors had the idea they could make a sequel if it did well so prepared for that, rather than some movies where its needless and ruins the original film with shoddy sequels.
www.twitter.com/mildale89

Oh and dont use Mars bars as sex tools. Took me ages to get it all out.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2010, 09:54:47 pm »
Top, top, top class.
Having waited so long to see it, I almost reached the point of not being arsed about it, seemed destined to fail.
How wrong I was, it was just brilliant.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2010, 11:57:48 pm »
Watched this again recently and completely forgot about the fingernail scene! Bleurgh!

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2010, 12:08:14 am »
It really deserves an award for the special effects, but it hasn't got a chance up against Avatar.

I just think the CGI looks stunning in it and I wasn't even questioning that the aliens, weapons, spaceships weren't actually real. Wasn't it made on a pretty small budget, as well?

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2010, 08:43:02 am »
Wasn't it made on a pretty small budget, as well?

£30m I think. Which is rather good for what they produced.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2010, 11:50:25 pm »
It really deserves an award for the special effects, but it hasn't got a chance up against Avatar.

I just think the CGI looks stunning in it and I wasn't even questioning that the aliens, weapons, spaceships weren't actually real. Wasn't it made on a pretty small budget, as well?

I agree with that. You shouldn't be thinking "wow look at those special effects" just enjoying the film...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2010, 11:54:22 pm »
Exactly. At no point was I watching and thinking...that's CG...that's CG...CG....CG.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2010, 02:36:22 am »
I agree with that. You shouldn't be thinking "wow look at those special effects" just enjoying the film...
Exactly. At no point was I watching and thinking...that's CG...that's CG...CG....CG.
Totally agree, it should get an award, although when you watch it on blue ray the cgi looks utterly fantastic but it's also integrated into the real world shots brilliantly. That's all just the icing on a brilliant film.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2010, 07:40:11 am »
So no 1080p downloads with correct subs?  Looks like I am going to have to buy this then :D

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2010, 01:21:51 am »
ONLY JUST FUCKING SEEN THIS, Brilliant film, one of my favourite all time films. Fookin Prawns.
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline Car

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2010, 03:54:06 am »
Like this movie a lot! Very original. I do think that it is better than Avatar and The Hurt Locker.
"We've got a great team spirit - It doesn't matter how many goals we go down, we'll keep fighting till the end." Steven Gerrard.

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2010, 01:51:01 pm »
Thats kind of the point I took out of the film  - you have more sympathy and empathy with Christopher than with Wikus.
Even though Christopher is basically an eight foot cockroach
Thats the point though, us (through Wikus) are a bunch bureaucratic twats who wanted the prawns gone(NIMBYism of the worst kind), or want to steal technology, they (through Christopher) crashed here and just want to get home. The fact that they are 8 foot cockroaches is totally irrelevant.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2010, 09:49:27 pm »
I like it because Wikus gains his humanity as he becomes less human, he is quite darkly disturbing at the beginning, laughing at the Prawn eggs being burnt etc. It's quite a transformation he goes through, I was really rooting for him and Christopher at the end.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2010, 07:11:10 am »
Just watched it again on DVD. What a class movie.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2013, 03:00:39 am »
Lent this to a mate at work and he's been doing the accent/lines all week so had to have a little rewatch and it's just brilliant

Man I would never have any kind of prawnographic activity... ...with a fooking creature!
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: December 6, 2019, 11:13:23 pm »
So glad there's a thread for this.  How the fook have I missed this 10 year old film until i caught it on Netflix tonight.

What a totally brilliant movie. Absolutely loved it.

I thought it was a black comedy or mockumentary when it first started off.  Someone early in this thread years ago likened it to Starship Troopers, I felt that vibe too

The lead character was totally unlikable but brilliant all the same.

Just loved everything about the film.  One of the best Sci-Fi movies I've seen.

Wikus firing the pig at the soldier near the end killed me :lmao

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #183 on: December 7, 2019, 12:31:08 pm »
It’s a class film alright. If you liked it try Chappie next. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1823672/

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: December 7, 2019, 01:09:05 pm »
That lead actor when he swears in that accent.

;D

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #185 on: December 7, 2019, 02:39:02 pm »
That lead actor when he swears in that accent.

;D

At times I could have sworn he was Scouse.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: December 7, 2019, 09:52:19 pm »
At times I could have sworn he was Scouse.

haha yeah

I had to check out the actor afterwards to see if he was a Scouser. :)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: December 8, 2019, 08:32:35 am »
haha yeah

I had to check out the actor afterwards to see if he was a Scouser. :)

I had to do the same, could have sworn he was Scouse
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline fingermouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: December 8, 2019, 03:52:30 pm »
Fackin prawn!!!

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #189 on: December 8, 2019, 05:36:41 pm »
Cruel bump, was hoping for a sequel announcement.

Unfortunately Blomkamp hasn't really been up to much since Chappie tanked. A bit of a waste.
:D

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: December 8, 2019, 05:59:13 pm »
Cruel bump, was hoping for a sequel announcement.

Unfortunately Blomkamp hasn't really been up to much since Chappie tanked. A bit of a waste.
He was supposed to make a Robocop reboot, but he's since left that. I wouldn't have minded seeing that, but at the same time it was pulling another one of those retcon style bullshit reboot/sequels, where it ignores the other films and tries to do a direct sequel to the original. Not sure why, because Robocop 2 wasn't that bad at all.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: December 8, 2019, 06:01:49 pm »
Didn't he get Ridley'd out of the Alien franchise too?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #192 on: December 8, 2019, 06:04:08 pm »
He was supposed to make a Robocop reboot, but he's since left that. I wouldn't have minded seeing that, but at the same time it was pulling another one of those retcon style bullshit reboot/sequels, where it ignores the other films and tries to do a direct sequel to the original. Not sure why, because Robocop 2 wasn't that bad at all.

The reboots are to play it safe, problem is they're a constant disaster so you're better off risking a sequel anyway - I guess money talks. Blade Runner 2047 surpassed the original for me but no one went to see it. Wasn't he also working on another Alien movie which basically ignores Alien 3? Saying that I was impressed by the concept work.

Robocop 2 gets shit but like you I really enjoyed it. Same with Ghostbusters 2 which is an incredibly underrated sequel.
:D

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: December 8, 2019, 06:06:29 pm »
Didn't he get Ridley'd out of the Alien franchise too?
Yeah, he did.

Not sure what's going on there, or with him to be honest. He did well with District 9, but Elysium and Chappie weren't that great. I think he has a specific style and look to his films that just seem to suit one genre. I think, like many directors, he good behind the camera, but once he has control creatively over a script, he's just not that talented as a screenwriter.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: December 8, 2019, 06:14:31 pm »
The reboots are to play it safe, problem is they're a constant disaster so you're better off risking a sequel anyway - I guess money talks. Blade Runner 2047 surpassed the original for me but no one went to see it. Wasn't he also working on another Alien movie which basically ignores Alien 3? Saying that I was impressed by the concept work.

Robocop 2 gets shit but like you I really enjoyed it. Same with Ghostbusters 2 which is an incredibly underrated sequel.
Yeah, the thing about BR2049 is that you had people in control of that that just wanted to do justice to the original film, and make a direct sequel that made sense logically in regards to the structure and the themes that at the core of the original. They even went as far as telling Ridley Scott to fuck off when he tried to dip his dirty fingers in the pie. BR2049 is a rare, rare thing, and I'm astonished that it actually happened at all, and it probably won't happen again.

I personally think, like the Terminator series, that Alien series is done. The two directions it logically could have taken were taken, those being a straight up horror film, and then an action film. Alien 3 gets shit, but in retrospect, Fincher did an amazing job with it, and gave the series what should have been a finality.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: December 8, 2019, 06:17:54 pm »

Ghostbusters has the same problem as Terminator - the films all basically have the same plot.  Difference is GB would probably have an easier time to break out of that trap; with Terminator it's kind of built in, and as we saw with Salvation, deviating from the premise comes with its own set of problems.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: December 8, 2019, 09:03:06 pm »
There's so many things you could do with Ghostbusters. It's not nailed down by any kind of internal lore or rules. Just look at the cartoon for an example. The 80's and 90's one, not the new shit.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: December 9, 2019, 04:53:44 pm »
Gave 'Chappie' a blast this afternoon seeing as I had a chill day off work.

Nowhere near as good as 'District 9' but I still enjoyed it and it was fun.  I can see why it tanked after District 9 and can understand the criticisms off the film but it didn't stop me enjoying the movie.

With the right screenwriting team he probably could have made a good job with a reboot sequel to the original Robocop.  Suppose we will never know now though.

Going to complete the Blomkamp treble tomorrow and watch 'Elysium'.