JSteve
10 (19.6%)
Mikeylfc
19 (37.3%)
Tubby
7 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: November 22, 2019, 09:35:34 am

Author Topic: 90s Football Draft Round 1 (3)  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
90s Football Draft Round 1 (3)
« on: November 21, 2019, 09:35:34 am »
Robbieredman                                                                                                      VS  JSteve

VS

==============================================================

Mikeylfc                                                                                                            VS Tubby

VS
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Re: 90s Football Draft Round 1 (3)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 11:58:39 am »
Robbieredman: Quite close after all, but having Schmeichel, Maldini and Figo there seals the deal for me along with the team being well-balanced. Neither Baggio nor Weah were ever the types of poachers that Klinsmann was. Thus, I think Robbie's team would score more goals. Figo vs Amoros is also a bit of a mismatch. Figo in his prime would be really dominant. Giggs vs Petrescu is a bit similar, but with Donadoni providing less of a wide threat, teams could more easily double up on Giggs.

Mikeylfc: Having two natural goalscorers + Luis Enrique is bound to be fireworks up front. Buffon is also the better keeper of the two. The five at the back would be really hard to break down. A genuine contender to win the whole thing.
Linudden.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 12:55:21 pm »
Taking a bit of a battering here but I'm not even mad, Mikey's put together a really strong team.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 12:56:50 pm »
Thanks Linudden.
I like JSteves team and agree with most of what you have said. Donadoni looks too central despite the (MR) . Other than that I think mine edges it when it comes to leaders and mentality. It's close though.
I found the other tie extremely tough to call. It came down to service in the end and Tubby just edges it in central midfield.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 01:40:34 pm »
Ooof, some hammerings in this one

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 02:14:03 pm »
I went for Robbie and Mikey.

Staunton was an odd one, seemed like we sold him too soon to Villa and then brought him back too late. Villa definitely got the best out of him. Not sure he quite fits in here but I think his centre backs are a stronger pairing and I really like his front 4. Figo one of the best attackers in this draft.

The other game would be tight but hard not to love that striking partnership and Campbell and Star would make a very tough centre back pairing as well.

I do like Vieiri being picked though. Seemed to move clubs every season but scored wherever he went. Also love the bizarre fact that he was big into his cricket. Was he half Australian or something?

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 02:32:08 pm »
I do like Vieiri being picked though. Seemed to move clubs every season but scored wherever he went. Also love the bizarre fact that he was big into his cricket. Was he half Australian or something?

Born in Bologna, Italy,[4] to Roberto Vieri[5][6][7] and Christiane "Nathalie" Rivaux,[8] his family moved to Australia in the 1970s, residing in the suburb of Wetherill Park in South Western Sydney and he attended Prairiewood High School. His father, from Prato, played for Sydney-based club Marconi Stallions. It is from his father that he inherited his nickname Bobo which he carried with him throughout his career.[5][6][7]

During his time in Australia, Vieri developed a love for both football and cricket, a sport he still follows to this day. He stated in an interview that he would have liked to have been a professional cricketer.[9] His brother, Massimiliano Vieri, was also a professional footballer and was an Australian international in 2004. Vieri played for Marconi Juniors when he was a child but his family subsequently moved back to Italy.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 03:15:28 pm »
Ooof, some hammerings in this one

Quite right - its much easier than I would have predicted for these two.  Ooof

I would have thought Tubby to get more, as he has a quality side there --- and the other match seems more 51/49 to me
Not right or wrong just a little too happily over-weighted in one direction for these two (imo).

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 03:17:08 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 04:07:40 pm »
First one was a draw for me, I couldn't decide. I switched off the tv before the penalty shootout.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 04:17:34 pm »
First one was a draw for me, I couldn't decide. I switched off the tv before the penalty shootout.

Some of these are tough as nails to decide. It's a bit unfortunate the ties are so one-sided when most people find those to be like 55-45 or closer splits.
Linudden.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 08:13:33 pm »
Jeez this got out of hand. I thought my team was good but thought I got a hard draw in Tubby too. He might have gone further with better luck
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 08:29:22 pm »
Jeez this got out of hand. I thought my team was good but thought I got a hard draw in Tubby too. He might have gone further with better luck

Wait are we out or are there more rounds of matches?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 08:30:25 pm »
It's knockouts mate. Group matches were binned ages ago as they take too much time.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 08:30:40 pm »

You're out, not enough wives.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 08:31:17 pm »
Now Saint Kopite, there was a man who had many wives.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 08:37:21 pm »
You got thrown over the top rope fella  ;D

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 08:38:58 pm »
Now Saint Kopite, there was a man who had many wives.

Looks like mikey's taken them captive.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 08:50:38 pm »
Gullit is totally out of position... Just saying.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 08:51:49 pm »
 ;D

Robbie didn't listen to me mate. Amateurs!

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 09:12:36 pm »
;D

Robbie didn't listen to me mate. Amateurs!

Yeah, but he's winning anyway  ;)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2019, 09:51:40 pm »
Gullit is totally out of position... Just saying.

;D
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2019, 10:01:53 pm »
Can anyone remember what influenced my profile pic?  :D

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2019, 10:04:23 pm »
Can anyone remember what influenced my profile pic?  :D

THE BADGER!
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2019, 10:07:03 pm »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2019, 10:11:51 pm »
I don't know how you pulled that pick out mate. Was a doozy.  ;D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2019, 10:13:37 pm »
Badger Cull wasn't it?  ;D

Oh yeah, near enough  :D

I don't know how you pulled that pick out mate. Was a doozy.  ;D

I couldn't even find him while just googling for old Madrid keepers. It was a masterstroke of research.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2019, 10:15:59 pm »
If he doesn't have a wiki page he doesn't count.  ;D

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2019, 10:57:06 pm »
Oh yeah, near enough  :D

I couldn't even find him while just googling for old Madrid keepers. It was a masterstroke of research.
I was hammered for that pick... But I still maintain it was my single greatest ever selection.  Literally took about 12 hours of research to work out how to get from South America back to Europe for the last few picks.  ;D

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2019, 11:03:47 pm »
That can be arranged

Found his real name... Juan Bagur Coll
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 11:08:48 pm by Prof »

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2019, 11:10:14 pm »
You got thrown over the top rope fella  ;D

This is fucking bullshit!

Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2019, 11:13:26 pm »
That can be arranged

Found his real name... Juan Bagur Coll

You mad man go do it.  ;D

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2019, 11:27:05 pm »
Sorry to be totally off topic in here... Just found my team from that old domino draft

One of my best ever  8)

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2019, 11:33:55 pm »
You and your fuckin' Gento love.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2019, 12:10:48 am »

Just found one for him in Spanish https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Bagur

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2019, 07:35:25 am »
Just found one for him in Spanish https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Bagur
European Cup winner... He's like an old school Scott Carson

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2019, 09:03:28 am »
A complete and versatile player, Gullit epitomised the ethos of Total Football as he was naturally adept in several positions, and was capable of aiding his team defensively as well as offensively due to his work-rate, ball-winning abilities, and tactical intelligence in addition to his skill and physical qualities.[24] Normally deployed as an attacking midfielder or as a second striker, he was capable of playing anywhere in midfield or along the front-line, on either wing or even in the centre, and could also play as a sweeper.[7] Regarded as one of the greatest players of all time,[25] his foremost attribute was his athleticism, as he used his strength and speed, combined with his technique, to great effect; he was also strong in the air, as he was tall, powerful, and an excellent jumper.[24][26] Yet, unusually for a man of his stature, Gullit was an elegant player, who also possessed outstanding natural balance, poise, technical ability, and dribbling skills, which gave a graceful style to his game.[24] Gullit also was noted for his intelligence, creativity, vision, and spatial abilities, qualities that helped him score goals early in his career and enabled him to play in a deeper role as a playmaker late in his days, where he was known for creating chances for teammates.[24] Gullit thus combined physical presence with flair, mental acuity, formidable technique and natural touch, to become an iconic figure in world football.[24][27] Beyond his qualities as a footballer, Gullit also stood for his leadership and tenacity.[28] Despite his talent, however, he struggled with injuries throughout his career, which later affected his fitness.[24]

Gullit's brilliance prompted George Best to comment in 1990, "Ruud Gullit is a great player by any standards. He has all the skills. He's not afraid to do things with the ball. And he looks as if he's enjoying every second of it. By my reckoning that's what makes him an even better player than Maradona. Both have the key quality you will find in all the best players: balance. You just can't knock them off the ball. It was the same with Pelé, Beckenbauer and Cruyff."[29]

and just for the record, as this was my first ever draft I wasn't aware some of you critics check the archived heat maps to verify  selected positions :P Noted!

Now leave Gullit alone will you, enough already :)

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2019, 06:16:29 pm »
and just for the record, as this was my first ever draft I wasn't aware some of you critics check the archived heat maps to verify  selected positions :P Noted!

Now leave Gullit alone will you, enough already :)
Sorry.  My fault, I was making an in joke.

Years ago I was involved in an alphabet draft and given the letter G.  I had a front four of Garrincha, Gerrard and Gento playing behind Greaves.  A top quality front four by anyone's standards.  I refused to drop Stevie back to accommodate Gullit as the number 10 (because I'm stubborn like that).  I also struggled to find a second decent centre back (Richard Gough didn't really fit my team and Joe Gomez wasn't anywhere to be seen yet).  So I decided to play Gullit as a sweeper centre back alongside my Italian stopper Gentile.  What I thought of as a tactical master stroke wasn't well received by the voting masses and my G string fell down.

You quite rightly played Gullit as a ten (although can you imagine him as a marauding centre back?  :P)

:wave

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2019, 06:32:04 pm »
Sorry.  My fault, I was making an in joke.

Years ago I was involved in an alphabet draft and given the letter G.  I had a front four of Garrincha, Gerrard and Gento playing behind Greaves.  A top quality front four by anyone's standards.  I refused to drop Stevie back to accommodate Gullit as the number 10 (because I'm stubborn like that).  I also struggled to find a second decent centre back (Richard Gough didn't really fit my team and Joe Gomez wasn't anywhere to be seen yet).  So I decided to play Gullit as a sweeper centre back alongside my Italian stopper Gentile.  What I thought of as a tactical master stroke wasn't well received by the voting masses and my G string fell down.

You quite rightly played Gullit as a ten (although can you imagine him as a marauding centre back?  :P)

:wave

:lmao

And thus was born RAWK draftings greatest ever moment.

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2019, 07:44:38 pm »

Second greatest... See above for the legend of Badger Cull, surely taking top spot? 

In third place, the sheep draft (where you can pick any player you want but if someone picks the same player they go into a pool of blocked players).  I wanted to pick King Kenny but CamRed (my partner for the draft) picked Konoplyanka as a first round pick.  Kenny went unpicked, and so was born the legend of Konoplywho?ka
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 07:49:08 pm by Prof »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2019, 10:18:39 pm »

That was my movie characters picks you heathen.