Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - WELCOME, 'A PLAYER'!!  (Read 2491896 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: THE SUMMER 2020 TRANSFER THREAD
« Reply #2600 on: August 1, 2020, 12:00:36 pm »
There's a big obsession among Liverpool fans that Nike being our shirt sponsor will attract Nike's top clients. Mbappe went to PSG (a French player going to the best/richest team in France is hardly surprising), but other than that does it ever happen?

I just find it really strange that people think players sponsored by Nike will sign for clubs based on that.

There is only one reason that idea has been talked up in this past year or so and that is simply for people to talk about Mbappe signing for us. It’s as deluded a thought as Everton fans thinking they will win a trophy any time soon.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2601 on: August 1, 2020, 12:02:42 pm »
Has this ever....like, ever, been a thing?
I remember reading that Pogba going back to United was at the behest of Adidas but no idea if there’s any truth in it.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2602 on: August 1, 2020, 12:03:38 pm »
It would be more worrying if the club started splashing big money on players we don’t need and who don’t genuinely improve the squad.

I firmly believe the club would still sanction a big money move if the right player became available at the right time, but the problem with players like Werner and Sancho is that they probably wouldn’t add enough to our current squad to justify the prices being asked for them.

Saving their pennies for Mbappé, obviously.

This.

If Mane or Salah were leaving then we will be in for Sancho. We might have said to Wener wait a season but he didn't.

We're not going to sign a high profile name to sit on the bench.

If that awful 5 sub rule stays then that might be different. We might sign one.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2603 on: August 1, 2020, 12:03:43 pm »
In what way did Nike play a significant role in that transfer...? I genuinely haven’t heard that. In what way exactly were they involved?

www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2018/09/13/neymar-mbappe-paris-saint-germain-and-jordan-brand-align-beautifully-in-ground-breaking-agreement/amp/

"NIKE" are rarely doing things by accident. That is why they are the best in the business.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2604 on: August 1, 2020, 12:05:18 pm »
www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2018/09/13/neymar-mbappe-paris-saint-germain-and-jordan-brand-align-beautifully-in-ground-breaking-agreement/amp/

"NIKE" are rarely doing things by accident. That is why they are the best in the business.

Well we have one of their best players in Van Dijk, you think Sancho is shite and we will never have the money to sign Mbappe so what’s the point?

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2605 on: August 1, 2020, 12:05:54 pm »
"NIKE"

What’s with the caps and scare quotes? Am I missing something?

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2606 on: August 1, 2020, 12:11:00 pm »
Well we have one of their best players in Van Dijk, you think Sancho is shite and we will never have the money to sign Mbappe so what’s the point?

I don't think that Sancho is shite, just that he is over-rated. By the way, players like Havertz and Lautaro are also "NIKE" athletes ...

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2607 on: August 1, 2020, 12:14:52 pm »
Sancho "was" overrated earlier in the season but now with the pandemic economics, he is underrated.
If it's true, Utd offered 50M first bid to Dortmund, they should tell Utd to fuck off.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2608 on: August 1, 2020, 12:15:19 pm »

Time to show our MASSIVE balls and unsettle all these bastards.

All right, Van Gaal, put them back in,
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2609 on: August 1, 2020, 12:21:03 pm »

Cool

You said Nike played a significant role in the Mbappe deal?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2610 on: August 1, 2020, 12:26:46 pm »
Sancho "was" overrated earlier in the season but now with the pandemic economics, he is underrated.
If it's true, Utd offered 50M first bid to Dortmund, they should tell Utd to fuck off.

If it's now 50-60m for Sancho then Liverpool should 100% be getting involved.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2611 on: August 1, 2020, 12:31:36 pm »
If it's now 50-60m for Sancho then Liverpool should 100% be getting involved.

It’s not.

It’s an initial £60m as part of a package that will exceed £100m, according to Miguel Delaney.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2612 on: August 1, 2020, 12:32:15 pm »
Wonder what we do with Sheyi Ojo.

Pen a 5 year deal in 2018.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2613 on: August 1, 2020, 12:32:55 pm »
All right, Van Gaal, put them back in,

;D
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2614 on: August 1, 2020, 12:33:11 pm »

Sell him or send him out on loan again.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2615 on: August 1, 2020, 12:33:52 pm »
It’s not.

It’s an initial £60m as part of a package that will exceed £100m, according to Miguel Delaney.

What 40m of add on's? Great deal for Utd..We should get involved if this is the case.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2616 on: August 1, 2020, 12:34:12 pm »

Sell him to Rangers for 5m.

I thought he had all the tools - but he hasn’t made the next step at all.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2617 on: August 1, 2020, 12:35:56 pm »
Sell him to Rangers for 5m.

I thought he had all the tools - but he hasn’t made the next step at all.

Don't think Stevie is interested mate.

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #2618 on: August 1, 2020, 12:48:18 pm »
Memphis Depay...haven’t read anyone linking him to us but I just think he will sign for us he ticks all the right boxes.
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2619 on: August 1, 2020, 12:48:45 pm »
Bayern Munich are said to be “bracing themselves” for an offer from Liverpool for Thiago Alcantara, with the Reds’ slow process potentially “part of their strategy.”

But speaking on Sky Sports’ Transfer Talk podcast, German journalist Rafa Honigstein assessed the situation and suggested it could be “part of their strategy” to draw the 29-year-old out of Munich for a lower fee.

Welcome Thiago, our new number 6
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #2620 on: August 1, 2020, 12:49:51 pm »
Bayern Munich are said to be “bracing themselves” for an offer from Liverpool for Thiago Alcantara, with the Reds’ slow process potentially “part of their strategy.”

But speaking on Sky Sports’ Transfer Talk podcast, German journalist Rafa Honigstein assessed the situation and suggested it could be “part of their strategy” to draw the 29-year-old out of Munich for a lower fee.

Looks like he’s going to PSG
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2621 on: August 1, 2020, 12:53:24 pm »
Looks like he’s going to PSG
Meh 29, injury prone and past it, bullet dodged if you ask me.. sooo, that Cantwell fella...
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2622 on: August 1, 2020, 12:56:31 pm »
Don't think Stevie is interested mate.

Hes too inconsistent, as the poster above said, he's has the tools to be a tidy players at a good level. Think his head dropped last season, due to his poor form.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #2623 on: August 1, 2020, 01:01:43 pm »
You’ve spent the last few months slaughtering players who have won league titles in about 6 consecutive years! I can see why you’d want us to sign relegated players ;) You’d be like a kid in a candy shop

Ha! Who was that, Thiago and Minamino? Age and lack of suitableness respectively on those two. I don't necessarily want to sign relegated players - just that's more FSG's style. Like Robbo and Shaquiri

Thiago has grown on me actually. I think he would be better than Ox and would improve us. Just concerned that many of our team are at their peak and I have a succession fear
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #2624 on: August 1, 2020, 01:09:36 pm »
Sarr is my first choice for the forward cover

Someone else mentioned he looked a bit clumsy and having watched lots of videos of him recently i can see what they mean. Fantastic finish against us though, looked very calm

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #2625 on: August 1, 2020, 01:11:27 pm »
For the record, I am all in favour of random photos of bikini babes on beaches rather than bears ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2626 on: August 1, 2020, 01:14:47 pm »
For the record, I am all in favour of random photos of bikini babes on beaches rather than bears ;D

Makes sense, I’d have you down as a ‘Nuts’ man rather than National Geographic ;)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2627 on: August 1, 2020, 01:31:51 pm »

Meh 29, injury prone and past it, bullet dodged if you ask me.. sooo, that Cantwell fella...

:lmao

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2628 on: August 1, 2020, 01:39:55 pm »
Memphis Depay...haven’t read anyone linking him to us but I just think he will sign for us he ticks all the right boxes.

Lyon have said he's the one player that they won't sell. But I agree, he's pretty tailor-made for us, if you believe his United stint was on account of him being too young rather than not good enough.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2629 on: August 1, 2020, 01:46:34 pm »

Lyon have said he's the one player that they won't sell.

So you're telling me there's a chance with Aouar
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2630 on: August 1, 2020, 01:59:14 pm »
FSG have to be prepared to pay the big bucks to keep us on top. Every other team's scouting has caught up anyone with good underlying numbers like a Mane or Salah is already on the radar worth 60-70 million. We had an incredible run of transfer market dealings signing players well below their value but its usually once in a lifetime stuff, to remain on top we are going to need to be paying the big bucks whether that's now or the summer after e.t.c
« Last Edit: August 1, 2020, 03:11:38 pm by Dynasty »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2631 on: August 1, 2020, 02:00:47 pm »
FSG have to be prepared to pay the big bucks to keep us on top. Everyone other teams scouting has caught up anyone with good underlying numbers like a Mane or Salah is already on the radar worth 60-70 million. We had an incredible run of transfer market dealings signing players well below their value but its usually once in a lifetime stuff, to remain on top we are going to need to be paying the big bucks whether that's now or the summer after e.t.c

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2632 on: August 1, 2020, 02:03:54 pm »

2 things about Memphis:

1. Just before Utd signed him, I remember there was this story going round that he posted a laughing emoji in response to a story that Liverpool were trying to hi-jack the deal, or something like that. Haven't been enamoured with him since.

2. He just cuts in on his right foot all the time. Far too predictable for a top league, which is why he failed at Utd and no one is interested in him.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2633 on: August 1, 2020, 02:07:01 pm »
FSG have to be prepared to pay the big bucks to keep us on top. Everyone other teams scouting has caught up anyone with good underlying numbers like a Mane or Salah is already on the radar worth 60-70 million. Every other team's scouting has caught up. Anyone with good underlying numbers, like a Mane or Salah, is already on their radar and will cost 60-70 million.

We had an incredible run of transfer market dealings signing players well below their value but its usually once in a lifetime stuff, to remain on top we are going to need to be paying the big bucks whether that's now or the summer after e.t.c

Translated for everyone else...

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2634 on: August 1, 2020, 02:10:16 pm »

2. He just cuts in on his right foot all the time.

Sounds perfect for a team that is always turning a corner.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2635 on: August 1, 2020, 02:13:20 pm »
Translated for everyone else...

Ahhh perfect ;D

I don’t think our scouts have ever been a lot better than everyone else’s, but our whole team have been better at identifying, signing and integrating those players into the team. I don’t think that will particularly change. A Salah or a Mane will cost more anyway purely for how transfer fees have increased.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2636 on: August 1, 2020, 03:07:54 pm »

Lyon have said he's the one player that they won't sell. But I agree, he's pretty tailor-made for us, if you believe his United stint was on account of him being too young rather than not good enough.

They can keep him. 

He should be scoring more goals for me.  Whenever I watch him for Lyon he's missing chances he should be converting and often as the most advanced forward in their team.  Think Ligue 1 is his level and would struggle coming back here.  Imagine how much money Aulas would be asking for as well.  Not worth the hassle.   

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2637 on: August 1, 2020, 03:10:11 pm »
FSG have to be prepared to pay the big bucks to keep us on top. Everyone other teams scouting has caught up anyone with good underlying numbers like a Mane or Salah is already on the radar worth 60-70 million. We had an incredible run of transfer market dealings signing players well below their value but its usually once in a lifetime stuff, to remain on top we are going to need to be paying the big bucks whether that's now or the summer after e.t.c
Not sure about your police work there Lou.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #2638 on: August 1, 2020, 03:49:15 pm »
It would be more worrying if the club started splashing big money on players we don’t need and who don’t genuinely improve the squad.

I firmly believe the club would still sanction a big money move if the right player became available at the right time, but the problem with players like Werner and Sancho is that they probably wouldn’t add enough to our current squad to justify the prices being asked for them.

Saving their pennies for Mbappé, obviously.

Sancho may not add anything to the team, but as long as he didn’t take any away and is 8 years younger then any of our current front 3 that’s still enough for me.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2639 on: August 1, 2020, 04:08:37 pm »
FSG have to be prepared to pay the big bucks to keep us on top. Every other team's scouting has caught up anyone with good underlying numbers like a Mane or Salah is already on the radar worth 60-70 million. We had an incredible run of transfer market dealings signing players well below their value but its usually once in a lifetime stuff, to remain on top we are going to need to be paying the big bucks whether that's now or the summer after e.t.c

I see what you are saying

What gets you to the top, usually isn't what keeps you at the top

I'm sure Wenger thought in 2004 that he could keep raiding the French market for cheap, top talent,as that had worked for him so far.

I'm sure those around him felt that Arsenal were better at integrating these players into their set up, until it stopped working.  Arsenal's drop off didn't have much to do with their new stadium IMO, even before they moved they weren't big spenders and sold top players(petitt, anelka, overmars) and  relied on what had worked for them, up until it stopped working

Hopefully we don't repeat their mistakes. Some of the things that have worked for us need to be adapted for where we are now