Author Topic: Bloodline (Netflix Original)  (Read 8203 times)

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
Re: Bloodline (Netflix Original)
« Reply #40 on: June 3, 2016, 01:51:05 pm »
I just finished it this afternoon. One thing I will say outside of spoilers is that I enjoyed this season a lot more than the first. It is very similar to the first, so I don't think anyone will be disappointed at all, but I really loved it. Can't recommend it enough.

Spoiler
Like Yiannis said, Kyle Chandler gave an amazing, nuanced performance, again - he has really turned into a very dependable actor. We saw plenty of it in "Friday Night Lights" of course, but I remember when he was first coming along with that fucking "Newsies" show, or whatever the name was, and he is as good as anybody working right now.

I think the thing I loved the best about it is that this is classic noir/hardboiled storytelling - the desperation, the way everything goes against every character, the way good and evil, as it relates to who we root for, are turned inside-out and upside-down. The tension is ramped way up, even though like Y said, we don't necessarily get anywhere. Everything is closing in on them the whole time, just like a great noir should be. And that's the thing I love - it's not "neo-noir," trying to reinvent the genre - it is classic noir and it doesn't miss a beat. Linda Cardellini gets better and better looking. The brother Kevin is a total fuck-up, which adds to the delicious pressure on everyone around him, and on us, because we hate him and/or are just as frustrated by him as anyone, but we're ready to see him sacrificed. That scene with the Mexican/Colombian (?) drug guy on the dock when he took out the boat and Kevin was unexpectedly there was so stressful. John Leguizamo is great (as usual). I'm not as convinced by Beau Bridges because he just is naturally a little too soft for the role, but he does a good job. The son was great too. I can't look at Sissy Spacek because she gives me the ginger heebie-jeebies, but that is very much a "me" problem and has nothing to do with the show.

I just wish I hadn't binged it over 24 hours because now I have to wait AGES  :butt Another huge artistic success for Netflix.
[close]
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #41 on: June 3, 2016, 02:23:27 pm »
I just finished it this afternoon. One thing I will say outside of spoilers is that I enjoyed this season a lot more than the first. It is very similar to the first, so I don't think anyone will be disappointed at all, but I really loved it. Can't recommend it enough.

Agree Mongo lad. It's pretty high quality drama.

We really enjoyed the first series and to re-aquaint ourselves with the plot have just finished re-watching the final 4 episodes of Series 1 before embarking on Series 2.

Re-watching really underlines the excellence of the writing, presentation and acting. Stands up to the closest scrutiny. Now looking forward to seeing how the net closes in. I'm sure there'll be much squirming in our seats watching the attempts to escape just desserts - I'm guessing it will be a bit like watching the detective in Happy Valley which was at times nigh unwatchable albeit at the same time so compelling you simply had no choice but to watch.

:)

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #42 on: June 3, 2016, 03:06:37 pm »
Agree Mongo lad. It's pretty high quality drama.

We really enjoyed the first series and to re-aquaint ourselves with the plot have just finished re-watching the final 4 episodes of Series 1 before embarking on Series 2.

Re-watching really underlines the excellence of the writing, presentation and acting. Stands up to the closest scrutiny. Now looking forward to seeing how the net closes in. I'm sure there'll be much squirming in our seats watching the attempts to escape just desserts - I'm guessing it will be a bit like watching the detective in Happy Valley which was at times nigh unwatchable albeit at the same time so compelling you simply had no choice but to watch.

:)

That's exactly how it is pal. Enjoy  ;D
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #43 on: June 3, 2016, 06:46:01 pm »
That's exactly how it is pal. Enjoy  ;D

Shit - I realise it all pointed that way but to be honest Mongo I was kind of hoping you'd say it wasn't!!

Looks like we'll have to hit the vino pretty hard.

Squirm in the seat time here we come!!

;D

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #44 on: June 4, 2016, 12:01:51 pm »
I though I was alone with my crush on Linda Cardellini. She looks great.

I just love the family's characters in this series. Must have said in the previous page during season 1 but makes me immerse in their story (present but mainly their past one).

As for Kevin being a fuckup

Spoiler
I mean his level of fuckupityness is bottomless. Makes a good watch indeed but you have him saying no more lies, can't live like this and then the next thing he does is kill someone.  ;D
[close]
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: June 5, 2016, 05:31:43 pm »
Finished it tonight, really impressed that it managed to maintain the high bar set by the 1st season.

Spoiler
Only complaint was that it seemed too convenient to have Beau Bridges character be in league with Wayne Lowry's bosses. Wasn't surprised to see he's an asshole who isn't helping the Rayburn's out of the kindness of his heart, but linking those two seemed a little too easy.

Be funny if the 3rd season didn't feature John at all as he just fucked off and never came back ;D Glad he didn't kill Eric, would have been no coming back from that, plus it gave Kevin the opportunity to just Kevin shit up again like he's always doing.

Curious to see where it does go now, kinda figure John will get elected to sheriff, and be in the smuggler's pocket, while his family continues to unravel.
[close]
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: June 6, 2016, 05:49:21 am »
Bloodline season 1 was one of my favorite series, and season 2 didn't disappoint. I am with John all the way, I can see logic in his actions. I fecking grew tired of all other family members though. They are a bunch of unappreciative fucks. These are c*nts who do nothing yet always are there to criticize the one who does something.

John's own family is included in this criticism. The fucking wife kept asking him to deal with every little issue then abandons him when he deals with the problems. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Really, John should have fucked her off, he would have found a better wife even if he was a prisoner.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: June 6, 2016, 05:52:53 am »
The only negative thing I would say about the whole story is Marco. Marco is a fucking hypocritical son of a bitch.
Spoiler
If he indeed lied and broke the law to get promotion, I kinda doubt that people like him would be so invested in digging under another cop.

That said, he is pushed into this by his boss, so cannot say its totally illogical.
[close]

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #48 on: June 9, 2016, 09:58:54 pm »
Not gonna read this thread yet but loved the first series. Thought it was the epitome of slow-burner but paid off.

Offline Ale-lujah! Ale-lujah!

• Main Stander
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2016, 12:38:26 am »

Spoiler
Like Yiannis said, Kyle Chandler gave an amazing, nuanced performance, again - he has really turned into a very dependable actor. We saw plenty of it in "Friday Night Lights" of course, but I remember when he was first coming along with that fucking "Newsies" show, or whatever the name was, and he is as good as anybody working right now.

I think the thing I loved the best about it is that this is classic noir/hardboiled storytelling - the desperation, the way everything goes against every character, the way good and evil, as it relates to who we root for, are turned inside-out and upside-down. The tension is ramped way up, even though like Y said, we don't necessarily get anywhere. Everything is closing in on them the whole time, just like a great noir should be. And that's the thing I love - it's not "neo-noir," trying to reinvent the genre - it is classic noir and it doesn't miss a beat. Linda Cardellini gets better and better looking. The brother Kevin is a total fuck-up, which adds to the delicious pressure on everyone around him, and on us, because we hate him and/or are just as frustrated by him as anyone, but we're ready to see him sacrificed. That scene with the Mexican/Colombian (?) drug guy on the dock when he took out the boat and Kevin was unexpectedly there was so stressful. John Leguizamo is great (as usual). I'm not as convinced by Beau Bridges because he just is naturally a little too soft for the role, but he does a good job. The son was great too. I can't look at Sissy Spacek because she gives me the ginger heebie-jeebies, but that is very much a "me" problem and has nothing to do with the show.

I just wish I hadn't binged it over 24 hours because now I have to wait AGES  :butt Another huge artistic success for Netflix.
[close]

I think you've nailed it with what you said in the spoiler. Good summary that....

Spoiler
...at first the ending with John driving away struck me as a bit of a cop out [get it? - cop out!!  ;D] but the more I reflected on it I think that quite apart from it providing the requisite cliff hanger it was actually a brilliant ending. The poor bastard had simply had enough and just needed to get away.
[close]

Offline Ale-lujah! Ale-lujah!

• Main Stander
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2016, 12:41:49 am »
The only negative thing I would say about the whole story is Marco. Marco is a fucking hypocritical son of a bitch.
Spoiler
If he indeed lied and broke the law to get promotion, I kinda doubt that people like him would be so invested in digging under another cop.

That said, he is pushed into this by his boss, so cannot say its totally illogical.
[close]

Spoiler
have you not seen his very own personal denouement at the hands of loony Kev for being such a snide ?  :)
[close]

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2016, 04:31:56 am »
Spoiler
have you not seen his very own personal denouement at the hands of loony Kev for being such a snide ?  :)
[close]
Spoiler
Yeah, I did, but I am not satisfied.

He seems to be seen as a positive character in the show by many. And he ended like a martyr of some sort. But he is neither in my view. The show writers did a poor job showing his motivation for his investigation. It seemed that he was pushed to do this by the Sheriff, and after a while, it became personal between him and the Rayburns. Kinda weak justification but whatever. So if this is correct, then he is an asshole. He was pushed into this because the Sheriff hinted at the past dirty deals between him and Marco. He was also an asshole to Meg, taking an advantage of her. He is a full stop annoying character for me.

For whatever reason, the only positive character in the show for me is John himself.
[close]

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2017, 07:46:41 am »
This is back, the 3rd and final season is on Netflix now.

I love this show. I feel for John.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2017, 10:48:17 am »
Watched the first episode of series 3. Picked up right from where it ended. 95% of it shot in the dark and more than a decent start.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2017, 01:09:05 pm »
4 episodes into the final season and really enjoying it, just as good as the past 2 seasons

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2017, 09:24:57 am »
The 3rd season is also good, maybe not as good as seasons 1 and 2, but still good. Acting is so, so good in this show. Kevin and John nailed it. Really did, it was so real.

Toward the end of the season, the show went weak, has to be said. It was still OK but you could see that this is the right time to end it.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2017, 11:18:11 am »
Binge watched the rest of the episodes yesterday. Same pattern in it with the consequences and the guilt around the decisions taken. No one comes off in a great state after you're done watching the whole series apart from the kids. Yet you understand some of the actions few characters take no matter how morally bad were.

Spoiler
Personally wanted a collective fatal destiny for the Rayburn family but each member pay the price in their own way.
[close]

PS: Kevin is fucking stupid.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2017, 11:19:46 am »
Watched the first three episodes of the first series recently but struggled to really get into it. Is it worth persevering with?

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2017, 11:33:43 am »
Watched the first three episodes of the first series recently but struggled to really get into it. Is it worth persevering with?

In a word, yes.

Really good but maybe not as fast paced as other series which may put some off.

Great cast (Sissy Spacek, Ben Mendelshon, Kyle Chandler, Sam Shepher etc.)

Just started S3 last night, really solid opener, glad to have it back.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #59 on: June 1, 2017, 10:09:10 am »

1st series was at its strongest and really really good. The other 2 that followed there was a slight drop in quality but nothing that puts you off it completely. The acting kept being top notch and there were still interesting developments.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #60 on: June 1, 2017, 08:12:19 pm »
Haven't watched anything of Season 3 but really enjoyed this so far. Real slow burning show but pays off.