Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4147868 times)

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #59680 on: March 17, 2019, 08:10:58 am »
I love watching a great lefty!

That was one of the best performances I’ve seen in years, I think Spence was the heavy favourite but no chance did anyone imagine it would be so one sided against a fighter in the caliber of Mikey Garcia. Actually reminded me a little bit of Lomachenko against Sosa where he just couldn’t get anything off due to the brilliance of Loma, his movement, his jab and lead hand

The right hand jab followed by that left must just be horrible to fight against, anytime Mikey looked to get anything off, a jab rammed down his  throat or a left sunk to the body

Complete and utter dominance

My only disappointment is the calling out of Manny who is too small and should be retired albeit unbelievably is still ranked #3. I want to see him against the big welters, Porter, Thurman, Danny Garcia and if there is a boxing god, Bud Crawford!

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59681 on: March 17, 2019, 08:42:50 am »
Spencer is so good, he'd put the brakes on any welterweight. Crawford is the fight to make.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59682 on: March 17, 2019, 10:00:19 am »
Anyone else think Garcia is a bit overpriced for the weekend?  I think Spence will win just because of the size difference, but before that my instinct was Garcia wins easily.  5-1 for Garcia on points seems generous to me.  Spence is 1-4!

Not my best shout...

There's some great potential fights at 147 but unfortunately they all want that payday against Pacquaio.

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #59683 on: March 17, 2019, 10:21:17 am »
I expected Spence to win but not to comprehensively outbox Garcia.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59684 on: March 18, 2019, 10:34:31 am »

Not my best shout...

There's some great potential fights at 147 but unfortunately they all want that payday against Pacquaio.
It's even worse in the Heavyweight division. Joshua Fury Wilder and Ortiz are top guys in the division. Wilder and Fury (even after being out for a long time) took a risk stepped up and fought each other but when is Joshua going to do the same? Lennox Lewis had it right when he told Joshua to stop chasing the money and act like a champion.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59685 on: March 18, 2019, 11:30:59 am »
It's even worse in the Heavyweight division. Joshua Fury Wilder and Ortiz are top guys in the division. Wilder and Fury (even after being out for a long time) took a risk stepped up and fought each other but when is Joshua going to do the same? Lennox Lewis had it right when he told Joshua to stop chasing the money and act like a champion.

Big fan of Lewis but he's basically Al Haymon's version of Johnny Nelson these days.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59686 on: March 18, 2019, 12:14:12 pm »
Its obvious who is running and it isn't Joshua. Wilder just turned down $100m to face him.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #59687 on: March 18, 2019, 01:10:55 pm »
Was very impressed with Spence at the weekend. His work rate and dominance apparent from the start and throughout the fight. The welterweight division seems the place to be.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59688 on: March 18, 2019, 03:08:23 pm »
Wider turning down $100m is fuckin' insane and that wasn't for any rematches with Aj included. :o

in other news fuck Fury for shitting on my Vegas dreams, looks like i'm doing Joshua/Miller on June 1st in New York.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #59689 on: March 18, 2019, 03:11:57 pm »
Its obvious who is running and it isn't Joshua. Wilder just turned down $100m to face him.

Do you know the breakdown of that deal?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59690 on: March 18, 2019, 03:16:05 pm »
Would've got $40m for the first Joshua fight.  :o  No idea on the breakdown after that.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59691 on: March 18, 2019, 03:36:40 pm »
Do you know the breakdown of that deal?

All I saw was a guaranteed $100m for a 3 fight deal.  One being Breazeale and the second being Joshua.

Canelo was $365 for 11 fights so Wilder was basically offered the same per fight. If he thinks he's a bigger draw than Canelo then he's in for a shock.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #59692 on: March 18, 2019, 05:44:25 pm »
Garcia has no place at 147. Too small and the extra weight simply made him slow. Doesn't hit hard enough to fight at WW and needs to go back to Lightweight.

Spence v Pac is meh. Pac is done. 

Online 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59693 on: March 18, 2019, 09:10:12 pm »
Garcia has no place at 147. Too small and the extra weight simply made him slow. Doesn't hit hard enough to fight at WW and needs to go back to Lightweight.

Spence v Pac is meh. Pac is done.
Even over the hill Pacman will give most fighters at 147 a hard night. Can't see him beating Spence though; definitely don't see him beating Bud Crawford but I think he might edge Thurman who is overrated in my book.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59694 on: March 19, 2019, 08:47:17 am »
Even over the hill Pacman will give most fighters at 147 a hard night. Can't see him beating Spence though; definitely don't see him beating Bud Crawford but I think he might edge Thurman who is overrated in my book.
Shame they can't afford to do the boxing super series at 147. Would be great to watch.

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59695 on: March 19, 2019, 08:21:57 pm »
Wilder v Brezeale on May 13th.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59696 on: March 20, 2019, 11:11:40 am »
Wilder v Brezeale on May 13th.
Wilder talking more shit in the press conference. He is a complete waste of space.

Here’s a list of Wilders’ purses he received for all of his title fights:

• Gerald Washington = $900K
• Chris Arreola = $1.4m
• Artur Szpilka = $1.5m
• Johann Duhaupas = $1.4m
• Eric Molina = $1.4m
• Bermane Stiverne I = $1m
• Bermane Stiverne II = $1.4m
• Luis Ortiz = $2.1m
• Tyson Fury = ~$10m ($4m guarantee, plus ~$6m PPV in revenue)

AJ will be earning roughly $11 million more to face Jarrell Miller (based on Joshua receiving an alleged $32m payday) than the combined total purses that Wilder has earned for all nine-world title fights he’s ever competed in.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:18:10 am by Dull Tools »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59697 on: March 20, 2019, 02:00:16 pm »
Yeah saw him talking shit, he is so cringeworthy. We’ve gone from “float like a butterfly, sting like a bee” to Wilder whispering at his opponent.

Just been reading some boxing forums, his own American fans have turned on him, all three of them. He was found out against Fury and he’s now been found out by AJ without even fighting him.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59698 on: March 20, 2019, 02:20:36 pm »
He has no fans. The man couldn't outsell a circus in his hometown and the fucker thinks he should be paid same amount as AJ?  ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59699 on: March 20, 2019, 10:34:00 pm »
So I saw an interview earlier where he was asked why he didn't take the deal. He said it's because he didn't know what Joshua was getting. ::) What a crock of shit. Which level headed human rejects $100 million for three fights. Even Mayweather didn't make that in his fights against Maidana, Guerrero and Berto.

Online 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59700 on: March 21, 2019, 08:41:00 am »
So I saw an interview earlier where he was asked why he didn't take the deal. He said it's because he didn't know what Joshua was getting. ::) What a crock of shit. Which level headed human rejects $100 million for three fights. Even Mayweather didn't make that in his fights against Maidana, Guerrero and Berto.
Wilder is a bit of a tit isn't he? There is no Earthly reason (except the obvious) why he would turn down such an absurd amount of money. This is especially the case since outside of boxing fans, no one knows who the hell he is! He isn't prime Mike Tyson terrorising everyone and becoming a global star, or Ali who transcended the sport. Wilder is a slugger from Alabama with very average boxing skills, poor accuracy and exceptional power.

The only reason to turn down the money is that he doesnt want to get KO'd by Joshua, and I would fancy AJ to find the mark with a big shot before Wilder; I think Wilder does too. Breazeale can take a shot so perhaps Wilder will be made to toil before getting a late KO.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:45:07 am by 1892tillforever »

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59701 on: March 21, 2019, 11:20:00 am »
I'm done with Wilder to be honest. I was so angry about him turning down that money. Dude has a child with medical issues  in America of all places. Can you imagine the doctor costs. $100m guaranteed for 3 fights as long as he beats Brezeale.

The thing is, we are gonna know what he is getting paid for Brezeale as they show us the purses for USA fights. Considering that this is not PPV it will be his final purse and I'll be amazed if it was over $3m, leaving $17m on the table.

I'm sickened as though I was getting a percentage of the money lol. You just dont turn down that deal. No excuse at all unless you are getting more which you wont be

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59702 on: March 21, 2019, 11:24:46 am »
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1108382436826800130

Yarde will only fight Kovalev in UK due to judging concerns. Believes that they are the A side and want the fight at The Emirates   ::)

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59703 on: March 21, 2019, 01:20:59 pm »
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1108382436826800130

Yarde will only fight Kovalev in UK due to judging concerns. Believes that they are the A side and want the fight at The Emirates   ::)

No reason that fight can't happen in the UK, although I think they'd struggle to fill the 02.

I think the fight will be made regardless of venue and if Yarde back himself, he has to take the fight.

On Wilder, I do wonder if he's been badly advised that they can somehow turn this fight with Joshua into Mayweather/Pacquaio 2. The risk is that heavyweights can bang and one false move you end up on your arse and out of the picture.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59704 on: March 21, 2019, 02:07:19 pm »
No reason that fight can't happen in the UK, although I think they'd struggle to fill the 02.

I think the fight will be made regardless of venue and if Yarde back himself, he has to take the fight.

On Wilder, I do wonder if he's been badly advised that they can somehow turn this fight with Joshua into Mayweather/Pacquaio 2. The risk is that heavyweights can bang and one false move you end up on your arse and out of the picture.

He's 'advised' by Al Haymon, whose single reason for being is to deny fans the big fights until it's too late.

See also Mayweather v Pacquaio, Kovalev v Stevenson, and Amir Khan's entire career.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59705 on: March 21, 2019, 09:14:20 pm »
I'm done with Wilder to be honest. I was so angry about him turning down that money. Dude has a child with medical issues  in America of all places. Can you imagine the doctor costs. $100m guaranteed for 3 fights as long as he beats Brezeale.

The thing is, we are gonna know what he is getting paid for Brezeale as they show us the purses for USA fights. Considering that this is not PPV it will be his final purse and I'll be amazed if it was over $3m, leaving $17m on the table.

I'm sickened as though I was getting a percentage of the money lol. You just dont turn down that deal. No excuse at all unless you are getting more which you wont be

I think Wilder is backing himself to make more money by doing it his way and staying loyal to showtime, at the same time.

He feels he can make $5-7m for Breazeale

Then $50m for AJ 1st fight

Then if he wins $60m for rematch with AJ

They felt Wilder/AJ was a $100m fight last yr, so since then he had a huge fight with Fury and will then fight on free to air TV in front of millions, this should make Wilder/AJ as big as it gets.  The dazn deal caps his earning potential for both fights.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59706 on: March 21, 2019, 09:47:49 pm »
Unfortunately they're going to milk this way more than Mayweather v Pacquiao. But unlike that shitfest, this fight will be highly exciting and a true heavyweight classic.

They'll also milk Spence v Crawford for all it's worth. Those two are the biggest fights in boxing right now, with Lomachenko v Garcia in a distant third.

Online 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59707 on: March 21, 2019, 10:01:10 pm »
I think Wilder is backing himself to make more money by doing it his way and staying loyal to showtime, at the same time.

He feels he can make $5-7m for Breazeale

Then $50m for AJ 1st fight

Then if he wins $60m for rematch with AJ

They felt Wilder/AJ was a $100m fight last yr, so since then he had a huge fight with Fury and will then fight on free to air TV in front of millions, this should make Wilder/AJ as big as it gets.  The dazn deal caps his earning potential for both fights.
Given he made $2m for Ortiz I doubt he makes anything near the lower end of that estimate for a defense against a fighter no one is getting too excited about.

The way he is going he will continue fighting fringe contenders for less than 10% of what he could have got and sooner or later he will get beaten; at which point he gets fuck all. If he is as good as he thinks he is, he takes the $100m deal, beats AJ and shows he is THE man in the heavyweight division.

You don't turn down ridiculous money in the 'hope' you'll get more. He isn't a great heavyweight who will go unbeaten forever unless he is allowed fight stiffs the whole time.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 10:02:43 pm by 1892tillforever »

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59708 on: March 22, 2019, 07:24:32 am »
Given he made $2m for Ortiz I doubt he makes anything near the lower end of that estimate for a defense against a fighter no one is getting too excited about.

The way he is going he will continue fighting fringe contenders for less than 10% of what he could have got and sooner or later he will get beaten; at which point he gets fuck all. If he is as good as he thinks he is, he takes the $100m deal, beats AJ and shows he is THE man in the heavyweight division.

You don't turn down ridiculous money in the 'hope' you'll get more. He isn't a great heavyweight who will go unbeaten forever unless he is allowed fight stiffs the whole time.

I think this is how they tried to bully whyte, I don't understand why everyone needs to be (relative to the pot, especially inc any rematch) underpaid to fight AJ

I think wilder wants the fight but on better terms, as otherwise there would be no point having the much talked about negotiations
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:31:31 am by markmywords »

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59709 on: March 22, 2019, 07:32:28 am »
I think this how they tried to bully whyte, I don't understand why everyone needs to be (relative to the pot, especially inc any rematch) underpaid to fight AJ

I think wilder wants the fight but on better terms, as otherwise there would be no point having the much talked about negotiations
No one is underpaid to fight AJ. They are all over paid. Wilder is being offered double the money he has earnt in every fight since being crowned world champion to fight the one AJ fight.

Offline markmywords

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59710 on: March 22, 2019, 07:52:51 am »
No one is underpaid to fight AJ. They are all over paid. Wilder is being offered double the money he has earnt in every fight since being crowned world champion to fight the one AJ fight.

Not really 

If I assume "dull tools" is a carpenter and paid £50,000 per year in your current job

If you were offered the chance to sign a professional football contract and be one of the star man on the team and evryone on the team was making £50,000 per week and upwards, the club  offer you £60,000 per yr and say that is more than what you were getting as a carpenter.  You would be an idiot for taking it and you are not an idiot, let's not pretend to be idiots, in order to root for the Wilder/AJ fight

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59711 on: March 22, 2019, 08:26:45 am »
Unfortunately they're going to milk this way more than Mayweather v Pacquiao. But unlike that shitfest, this fight will be highly exciting and a true heavyweight classic.

They'll also milk Spence v Crawford for all it's worth. Those two are the biggest fights in boxing right now, with Lomachenko v Garcia in a distant third.

It wasn’t that long ago people were talking about Mikey Garcia versus Jorge Linares. Now they’ve both lost since, nobody is talking about it any more.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59712 on: March 22, 2019, 08:57:26 am »
Not really 

If I assume "dull tools" is a carpenter and paid £50,000 per year in your current job

If you were offered the chance to sign a professional football contract and be one of the star man on the team and evryone on the team was making £50,000 per week and upwards, the club  offer you £60,000 per yr and say that is more than what you were getting as a carpenter.  You would be an idiot for taking it and you are not an idiot, let's not pretend to be idiots, in order to root for the Wilder/AJ fight
AJ is still getting paid more than him though. He is earning $30m plus for his fight with Miller.

And if I was offered £10k a week now to be a footballer now I would take it even if everyone else was on £60k. Jealousy is what ruins these fights. If you get offered 3 or 4 times your biggest pay day then he should take it and not worry about it being 50/50 because Joshua can earn that money fighting anyone.

Lets not pretend he is getting a raw deal from DAZN. He got offered $20m to fight Brazealle ffs.

I am not even blaming Wilder. I think his advisers are using him to try and keep him on his network by dangling carrots. They are worried about DAZN.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #59713 on: March 22, 2019, 09:14:30 am »
The most important question in the AJ / Wilder debate is whether Dull Tools is actually a carpenter?

Offline markmywords

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59714 on: March 22, 2019, 09:15:32 am »
AJ is still getting paid more than him though. He is earning $30m plus for his fight with Miller.

And if I was offered £10k a week now to be a footballer now I would take it even if everyone else was on £60k. Jealousy is what ruins these fights. If you get offered 3 or 4 times your biggest pay day then he should take it and not worry about it being 50/50 because Joshua can earn that money fighting anyone.

Lets not pretend he is getting a raw deal from DAZN. He got offered $20m to fight Brazealle ffs.

I am not even blaming Wilder. I think his advisers are using him to try and keep him on his network by dangling carrots. They are worried about DAZN.

Good negotiation involves jealousy

I'm hoping Wilder will look to make the fight after Breazeale, with his star on the rising and that he is confident about beating AJ in the first fight and cashing in a rematch. If he doesn't start looking for AJ (or fury) after Breazeale, then it will look more like fear, rather than confidence

I'm not sure AJ can get that big payday (40/50+) against anyone other than wilder

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59715 on: March 22, 2019, 09:32:03 am »

It's a terrible comparison as 60k per year would be about 2% of what the rest of the side is getting which is nothing remotely close to what we're talking about here. Wilder is also not the star man.

Deontay 'one name, one face, one belt' Wilder refusing this deal only makes sense (a bit) if he goes back to negotiate after beating Brezeale. If he doesn't, then it's hard to think anything other than he doesn't want the Joshua fight.

Offline markmywords

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59716 on: March 22, 2019, 09:40:02 am »
It's a terrible comparison as 60k per year would be about 2% of what the rest of the side is getting which is nothing remotely close to what we're talking about here. Wilder is also not the star man.

the numbers are out of scale , but the principle is the same, you shouldn't use past pay outs to determine how good a new deal is.  IN a fight in north america, which is where AJ's team have conceded this fight will be, Wilder is a bigger name or at least equal.

Deontay 'one name, one face, one belt' Wilder refusing this deal only makes sense (a bit) if he goes back to negotiate after beating Brezeale. If he doesn't, then it's hard to think anything other than he doesn't want the Joshua fight.

looks that way

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59717 on: March 22, 2019, 09:45:40 am »
the numbers are out of scale , but the principle is the same, you shouldn't use past pay outs to determine how good a new deal is.  IN a fight in north america, which is where AJ's team have conceded this fight will be, Wilder is a bigger name or at least equal.

looks that way
He isn't really a bigger name though is he? Wilder will struggle to sell out the Barclays Centre and AJ has sold out MSG. Wilder is reported to be earning $7m and AJ $30m+.

And jealousy is an awful way to do business. Worry about yourself and focus on getting the best deal for you.

And no unfortunately not a carpenter. Not skilled enough with my hands even if I had sharp tools.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59718 on: March 22, 2019, 11:59:17 am »
ordinarily a heavyweight fight involving all the belts between two vicious ko punchers should do crazy business. But one thing we are missing here is that you don't go from 0-100 when it comes to PPV.  Joshua has never done PPV and Wilder best PPV was about 400k for the Fury fight. In order to make this snub worthwhile it will need to do about 1.5/2m at about $80,(120 to 160m generated). Not entirely impossible but very very unlikley

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59719 on: March 22, 2019, 12:36:34 pm »
Sounds like Usyk v Takam is nearly done for May, that's a solid first outing at heavy.