Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 370535 times)

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Television buying
« Reply #5280 on: March 13, 2021, 07:24:37 pm »
I’ve had a Playbase since last year, it’s very impressive.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #5281 on: March 14, 2021, 08:48:28 pm »
Wanting to cancel sky. We've got a nice Samsung TV. We've got Netflix and Amazon. I want Freeview at least but with the ability to record. . What's the best set up to be able to do this?

What are the Amazon firesticks like?
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5282 on: March 25, 2021, 07:40:02 pm »
Wanting to cancel sky. We've got a nice Samsung TV. We've got Netflix and Amazon. I want Freeview at least but with the ability to record. . What's the best set up to be able to do this?

What are the Amazon firesticks like?

You get to keep your Skybox.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #5283 on: March 28, 2021, 02:42:55 pm »
hi guys I know this is the tv buying section so advice would be welcome on a new tv as well. I have a Alba old style tv (brick version from Argos that seems to have given up the ghost. The two issues I am seeing. Model number Alba CTV4859

1. The tv comes on OK and then by itself switches off after a minute  or so and now and
2. Goes to red standby mode and will not come on at all. Once I try to press a channel number so that the tv starts up the red light goes off but the tv wil not start up and remains in a state of standby.

Any ideas I tried switching on and off and the wall
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 04:59:37 pm by scouseman »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5284 on: March 28, 2021, 03:07:06 pm »
Bonjela?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #5285 on: March 28, 2021, 03:14:59 pm »
Bonjela?

how will cold sore cream help mate. I think your joking in this case

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5286 on: March 28, 2021, 03:28:12 pm »
how will cold sore cream help mate. I think your joking in this case
:lmao
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #5287 on: March 28, 2021, 04:59:11 pm »
hi guys I know this is the tv buying section so advice would be welcome on a new tv as well. I have a Alba old style tv (brick version from Argos that seems to have given up the ghost. The two issues I am seeing

1. The tv comes on OK and then by itself switches off after a minute  or so and now
2. Goes to red standby mode and will not come on at all. Once I try to press a channel number so that the tv starts up the red light goes off but the tv wil not start up and remains in a state of standby.

Any ideas I tried switching on and off and the wall

When my previous LG tv made in 2009 give up the ghost. It started turning the volume up and down, I tried factory resetting and after reading AV forums and some videos on YouTube, I later found that the panel inside was knackered.

I would say your first port of call should be to try and factory reset it possible. Try unplugging the TV for a while and see if you have any joy with that. I presume you've tried changing the batteries in the remote etc. If no joy, I'd try typing the model number into Google or YouTube etc as you won't have been the first person with the make & model to have the problem.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5288 on: April 28, 2021, 10:42:44 pm »
Bonjela?

:D

Picking up a 49" LG NANO86 this Friday. I can't recall seeing 4k footage so it'll be good to see it looks. I was going to grab the OLED CX but I'd never settle worrying about screen burn.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5289 on: April 29, 2021, 02:19:28 am »
It’s a shame people still believe the screen burn in. It was a thing in early plasmas and early oleds but it really isn’t a thing anymore for oleds other than extreme circumstances. The tech has been improved so much over the years in the same way it was with plasmas. Before oled I would only recommend plasma and the parents still have one of the Panasonic 50 inch, can’t remember which one now but it still looks great other than the lack of brightness. Never was in for the Kuro’s as I couldn’t afford them at the time but heard they were amazing.

For me oled is a better version of plasma. It has the natural look once the picture setting is right and the blacks are true black. I have one from 2018 and I still think it’s amazing. No screen burn in whatsoever.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5290 on: May 23, 2021, 12:17:06 am »
:D

Picking up a 49" LG NANO86 this Friday. I can't recall seeing 4k footage so it'll be good to see it looks. I was going to grab the OLED CX but I'd never settle worrying about screen burn.

Is that highly rated? The television I use for my PS has just broke and looking for a new one.

I don't want to be spending mega amounts, but can't find one that seems to have good enough reviews otherwise.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5291 on: May 23, 2021, 07:02:52 am »
Screen burn-ins on the newer models isn't something to worry about to be honest. They're far less likely than earlier. Especially if you don't sit and watch like CNN 12 hours a day every day. Plus it's covered under warranty in a lot of cases. If last year's LG CX is within your budget I'd definitely recommend it. If not, if it's a PS5 you're using, go for one with a HDMI 2.1.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5292 on: May 23, 2021, 10:21:14 pm »
I've got a 60" LG that's 4 years old and has developed horizontal lines across the the screen from top to bottom.I'm unsure what the lifespan is of these TV's now but thought it would be longer than 4 years before it showed and problems.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5293 on: May 23, 2021, 10:23:04 pm »
I've got a 60" LG that's 4 years old and has developed horizontal lines across the the screen from top to bottom.I'm unsure what the lifespan is of these TV's now but thought it would be longer than 4 years before it showed and problems.

Where did you buy it from ?

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5294 on: May 24, 2021, 01:28:43 pm »

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #5295 on: May 24, 2021, 03:27:51 pm »
John Lewis

It should have a five year warranty from there.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5296 on: May 24, 2021, 05:58:27 pm »
John Lewis

Then give them a call and make sure that you ask for a loan tv if they try to fix it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 06:20:56 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5297 on: May 24, 2021, 08:12:29 pm »
It should have a five year warranty from there.

Then give them a call and make sure that you ask for a loan tv if they try to fix it.
I've just got their phone number so I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.Only problem is I've misplaced the receipt but I've got proof of purchase on my credit card statement.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5298 on: May 24, 2021, 08:22:17 pm »
I've just got their phone number so I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.Only problem is I've misplaced the receipt but I've got proof of purchase on my credit card statement.

That is enough plus they'd be able to find you will just your postcode and name pr even just the order number,also don't let them try shifting the blame onto LG. (TBF JL are usually pretty good)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 08:24:03 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5299 on: May 24, 2021, 08:22:19 pm »
Ours developed a bright light in the middle of the bottom of the screen during the West Brom game which Paul's researched and found out it's a reflector that's gone.

He's realised tonight it's still under Richer Sounds 6yr warranty so just put a claim in.  As it's something that can't be repaired and the TV's are no longer manufactured will he get a refund of some sort to put towards a new one?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5300 on: May 24, 2021, 08:25:12 pm »
Ours developed a bright light in the middle of the bottom of the screen during the West Brom game which Paul's researched and found out it's a reflector that's gone.

He's realised tonight it's still under Richer Sounds 6yr warranty so just put a claim in.  As it's something that can't be repaired and the TV's are no longer manufactured will he get a refund of some sort to put towards a new one?

Usually a like for like replacement.

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5301 on: May 24, 2021, 08:31:27 pm »

That is enough plus they'd be able to find you will just your postcode and name pr even just the order number,also don't let them try shifting the blame onto LG. (TBF JL are usually pretty good)
👍 I'm already getting earache about it being potentially replaced as they no longer do the 60" so it'll have to be 65". Haha

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5302 on: June 6, 2021, 05:12:46 pm »

We've been offered £280 refund as they were unable to repair it which he's put towards 2 more Sonos speakers then bought a 65" LG Oled.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #5303 on: June 7, 2021, 12:09:18 am »
We've been offered £280 refund as they were unable to repair it which he's put towards 2 more Sonos speakers then bought a 65" LG Oled.

Nice choice on the OLED!

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5304 on: June 8, 2021, 06:22:17 pm »
His speakers arrived today but they've sent him the latest model rather than the same as we already had.

We have booming music now.  Happy days 😜

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5305 on: June 8, 2021, 07:03:47 pm »
We have booming music now.  Happy days 😜

Your neighbours will love you  ;D ;D :P

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5306 on: June 8, 2021, 07:41:29 pm »
Your neighbours will love you  ;D ;D :P

Good job we don't have any then 😂

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5307 on: June 16, 2021, 06:59:53 pm »
So the engineer came out today and he said the screen needs replacing so they'll pass it back to John Lewis to decide whether to fix or replace,though he thinks its likely they'll replace the TV as it costs nearly as much to replace the screen as a new TV would cost.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5308 on: June 16, 2021, 07:36:01 pm »
So the engineer came out today and he said the screen needs replacing so they'll pass it back to John Lewis to decide whether to fix or replace,though he thinks its likely they'll replace the TV as it costs nearly as much to replace the screen as a new TV would cost.

I would definitely go for the new one. Tech has moved far in four years and I'm sure you'd get a little bit of discount as well. The LG OLED I bought last year has dropped like 50% since then, so if you go for last years' model you'll get an even better deal (if they let you choose mind)
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5309 on: June 19, 2021, 01:30:34 pm »
I would definitely go for the new one. Tech has moved far in four years and I'm sure you'd get a little bit of discount as well. The LG OLED I bought last year has dropped like 50% since then, so if you go for last years' model you'll get an even better deal (if they let you choose mind)
I've just had a call from John Lewis and their guarantee isn't like for like just current value so that means they are only offering less than 50% of the original price.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5310 on: June 19, 2021, 01:39:00 pm »
I've just had a call from John Lewis and their guarantee isn't like for like just current value so that means they are only offering less than 50% of the original price.

That's an utterly shite guarantee.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5311 on: June 19, 2021, 04:05:50 pm »

Doesn't sound right to me,give them a call Peter.

We offer a 5-year guarantee on all TVs, which may be to 4 years over and above the guarantee offered by the manufacturer - so you can buy from us with confidence.

If you choose to purchase Protect Plus for your TV, you’ll also be covered against accidental damage.

Claiming on your guarantee

If your product develops a fault:

Look for any obvious reasons for the breakdown and consult the troubleshooting guide in the manufacturer's handbook or on their website
    If that doesn't resolve the issue, please contact our technical support team who will be happy to help:

Call 0330 123 0106, 8am - 9pm weekdays, 8am - 8pm Saturdays and 10am - 6pm Sundays (call charges will depend on your telephone provider)
        Please have your model number and date of purchase to hand when you call. You'll find all of this information on your original receipt – this acts as your guarantee, so please make sure you keep it safe

If we can't repair your TV, we'll replace it with a TV of equivalent specification. If no equivalent product is available, we'll either offer you the nearest equivalent specification or its selling price value, and we'll always do our best to make sure you're satisfied with the outcome.

Your guarantee won’t cover:

Accidental damage, for example if your TV has been dropped. You may find that this type of damage is covered by your household contents insurance policy, or you can buy Protect Plus for your TV
    Image ghosting or screen burn. These can appear on a screen that's left operating for a prolonged period with either a still image or a channel constantly displaying a logo
    Pixel spots. These are tiny dark or bright spots that may become visible on a screen
    Digital television picture affected by any of the following: a misaligned or unsuitable aerial, climatic conditions, geographic location, poor quality or low strength broadcast signal
    Consumables such as batteries, storage media, rear projection television bulbs, fuses, light bulbs, etc.
    If the prod
uct has been used commercially or for business purposes
    Data loss

Cosmetic damage such as scratches, dents, corrosion or colour, where the function of the product is unaffected

Any loss suffered as a result of not being able to use the product, or any loss over and above the purchase price of the original item

Servicing, inspecting or cleaning of the product, and failure to follow the manufacturer's instructions and/or installation guidelines

Deliberate damage or neglect of the insured product

Services for goods bought and used outside of the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands[/quote

https://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/guarantees

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5312 on: June 19, 2021, 06:59:49 pm »

Doesn't sound right to me,give them a call Peter.

We offer a 5-year guarantee on all TVs, which may be to 4 years over and above the guarantee offered by the manufacturer - so you can buy from us with confidence.

If you choose to purchase Protect Plus for your TV, you’ll also be covered against accidental damage.

Claiming on your guarantee

If your product develops a fault:

Look for any obvious reasons for the breakdown and consult the troubleshooting guide in the manufacturer's handbook or on their website
    If that doesn't resolve the issue, please contact our technical support team who will be happy to help:

Call 0330 123 0106, 8am - 9pm weekdays, 8am - 8pm Saturdays and 10am - 6pm Sundays (call charges will depend on your telephone provider)
        Please have your model number and date of purchase to hand when you call. You'll find all of this information on your original receipt – this acts as your guarantee, so please make sure you keep it safe

If we can't repair your TV, we'll replace it with a TV of equivalent specification. If no equivalent product is available, we'll either offer you the nearest equivalent specification or its selling price value, and we'll always do our best to make sure you're satisfied with the outcome.

Your guarantee won’t cover:

Accidental damage, for example if your TV has been dropped. You may find that this type of damage is covered by your household contents insurance policy, or you can buy Protect Plus for your TV
    Image ghosting or screen burn. These can appear on a screen that's left operating for a prolonged period with either a still image or a channel constantly displaying a logo
    Pixel spots. These are tiny dark or bright spots that may become visible on a screen
    Digital television picture affected by any of the following: a misaligned or unsuitable aerial, climatic conditions, geographic location, poor quality or low strength broadcast signal
    Consumables such as batteries, storage media, rear projection television bulbs, fuses, light bulbs, etc.
    If the prod
uct has been used commercially or for business purposes
    Data loss

Cosmetic damage such as scratches, dents, corrosion or colour, where the function of the product is unaffected

Any loss suffered as a result of not being able to use the product, or any loss over and above the purchase price of the original item

Servicing, inspecting or cleaning of the product, and failure to follow the manufacturer's instructions and/or installation guidelines

Deliberate damage or neglect of the insured product

Services for goods bought and used outside of the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands[/quote

https://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/guarantees

I've got to give them a call tomorrow so ill see what. the options are 👍

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5313 on: June 19, 2021, 11:51:57 pm »
You should go onto the site and write a list out of the tvs that have the same specs & are around the price you paid.

The website is definitely saying different to what the person on the phone told you.Also lay it on thick how the only reason you  bought from them was because of the good you had heard about their warranty.

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5314 on: June 21, 2021, 12:36:27 pm »
Just spoke to John Lewis and they're only offering a replacement worth the current value of my TV which they are saying is £469.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5315 on: June 21, 2021, 12:56:37 pm »
I had a replacement TV from John Lewis a few years ago. What they do is look at what TV's they have in stock that are broadly the same specification. You need to get the full TV spec of what you had and what they're offering. When they did the same to me, the offered replacement didn't have a VGA port, mine did - so they had to look again for same specification but with a VGA which was about £300 more. I didn't even use the VGA port on mine, but it forced them upto a higher spec model.

Compare the specs of what is being offered and find something it doesn't have that yours does.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #5316 on: June 21, 2021, 01:38:06 pm »
Do you have to pay extra for the 5 years? I've never bothered with John Lewis, normally, the stuff I buy, fails after 5 years. The pioneer kuro still going strong after 12 years. The Panasonic went kaput after 7 years. I wonder with the newer tech, maybe things are not built to last? Do OLED's last?
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5317 on: June 21, 2021, 03:50:13 pm »
Do you have to pay extra for the 5 years? I've never bothered with John Lewis, normally, the stuff I buy, fails after 5 years. The pioneer kuro still going strong after 12 years. The Panasonic went kaput after 7 years. I wonder with the newer tech, maybe things are not built to last? Do OLED's last?

The new OLEDs should last 5-6 years without burn-in as long as you don't watch the same channel with the same logo for like 12 hours a day every day. They even have features built-in like pixel shift and pixel refresh and stuff. I think Rtings did a burn-in test and it took about 5,000 hours of watching the same thing on loop for there to be noticeable effects
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5318 on: June 21, 2021, 05:22:28 pm »
Just spoke to John Lewis and they're only offering a replacement worth the current value of my TV which they are saying is £469.

Nah, I'd not be having that. They need to provide a replacement which matches the specs of what you have.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5319 on: June 21, 2021, 07:03:00 pm »
Nah, I'd not be having that. They need to provide a replacement which matches the specs of what you have.

It probably does though. It will be the cheapest TV in stock with the same resolution, features, HDMI ports etc. See my post above, you’ve gotta play the game and find a random spec the old TV has that the new one doesn’t.