Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3448453 times)

Online Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #53040 on: April 12, 2021, 12:47:02 am »
Watched the documentary Icarus on Netflix. Do recommend it for any sports fans. It covers the state sponsored doping by Russian athletes at Olympics.

What I found fascinating was the motivations of some of the characters to go along with the whole doping plan.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #53041 on: April 12, 2021, 06:13:45 am »
Nomadland won best film at BAFTA's. Anyone seen it?

Yeah it's a good film.

Whether you like it largely depends on your capacity to watch a slow, fairly contemplative movie for a couple of hours driven mostly by:

1. An excellent character study of the central character,
2. A really interesting window into the very much real American nomad lifestyle
3. How much you enjoy seeing big, beautiful landscapes

I really liked it because after a year in which people were locked into their homes and perhaps more than for a long time, felt trapped by their circumstances, it presents this quite lovely, not at all preachy alternative lifestyle which (let's face, mostly the probably less advantaged) people can choose to live. It's balm in a time of economic desolation and exhaustion from the big existential issues press relentless down on us.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53042 on: April 12, 2021, 07:22:14 am »
Watched the documentary Icarus on Netflix. Do recommend it for any sports fans. It covers the state sponsored doping by Russian athletes at Olympics.

What I found fascinating was the motivations of some of the characters to go along with the whole doping plan.

A very good documentary. I think part of its strength is that the film almost accidentally becomes a documentary take on political thriller halfway through with much bigger stakes. The first half with him doing a Super Size Me but with PEDs is intriguing but I'm not sure how much of it could have been sustained over a full runtime.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53043 on: April 12, 2021, 11:23:18 am »
Yeah it's a good film.

Whether you like it largely depends on your capacity to watch a slow, fairly contemplative movie for a couple of hours driven mostly by:

I really liked it because after a year in which people were locked into their homes and perhaps more than for a long time, felt trapped by their circumstances, it presents this quite lovely, not at all preachy alternative lifestyle which (let's face, mostly the probably less advantaged) people can choose to live. It's balm in a time of economic desolation and exhaustion from the big existential issues press relentless down on us.
Ah nice one. Point 3 would be reason enough to watch it to be honest for me ;D

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #53044 on: April 12, 2021, 08:34:02 pm »
Yup Icarus is a very good watch.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53045 on: April 12, 2021, 09:05:03 pm »
Yeah it's a good film.

Really want to watch this, think it’s going to be on Disney+ at the end of the month. Is it on earlier anywhere else?.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53046 on: April 13, 2021, 02:42:59 pm »
Watched Blackkklansman, Young Promising Woman and Prisoners in the last week. All excellent movies. Highly recommend all of them.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #53047 on: April 13, 2021, 04:28:13 pm »
Zack Snyders Army of the Dead  Official Trailer

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tI1JGPhYBS8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tI1JGPhYBS8</a>
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:35:30 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #53048 on: April 13, 2021, 04:36:51 pm »
Watched The Mauritanian on Prime, about Mohamedou Slahi spending 15 years in Guantanamo.

I watched it at the weekend. I found it a tough watch (because of the subject matter) but very good and really interesting. It is very thought provoking and does make you pretty angry at the way the USA (and others) dealt with the rule of law and so on, even though their "cause" was precisely that i.e. the rule of law and freedom. As usual Jodie Foster was superb. Tahar Rahim was outstanding - even more watchable than the recent BBC series The Serpent, and Cumberbatch puts in a good performance as well.

Well worth watching but be prepared for it to make you angry and horrified at times - all of which you probably know about anyway but watching it doesn`t make it easier.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #53049 on: April 14, 2021, 12:28:14 am »
I watched it at the weekend. I found it a tough watch (because of the subject matter) but very good and really interesting. It is very thought provoking and does make you pretty angry at the way the USA (and others) dealt with the rule of law and so on, even though their "cause" was precisely that i.e. the rule of law and freedom. As usual Jodie Foster was superb. Tahar Rahim was outstanding - even more watchable than the recent BBC series The Serpent, and Cumberbatch puts in a good performance as well.

Well worth watching but be prepared for it to make you angry and horrified at times - all of which you probably know about anyway but watching it doesn`t make it easier.

Its very good, the lead in it has impressed me as i've only come across him of late in Shock and Awe, The Mauritanian and The Serpent, he is very good in all three.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #53050 on: April 14, 2021, 02:14:27 pm »
Watched Blackkklansman, Young Promising Woman and Prisoners in the last week. All excellent movies. Highly recommend all of them.

Sounds like the adult version of the film  ;)

Blackkklansman is great. Couldn't believe it was based on true events.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #53051 on: April 14, 2021, 02:26:47 pm »
Haven't watched it yet but Sound of Metal turned up on Prime this week.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53052 on: April 15, 2021, 12:04:14 pm »
Its very good, the lead in it has impressed me as i've only come across him of late in Shock and Awe, The Mauritanian and The Serpent, he is very good in all three.

Hes also in The Looming Tower, pretty good in that as well.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53053 on: April 15, 2021, 09:49:02 pm »
Sounds like the adult version of the film  ;)

Blackkklansman is great. Couldn't believe it was based on true events.

Oops haha
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #53054 on: April 15, 2021, 11:10:58 pm »
So, After 20 years I finally watched the first Harry Potter movie with the missus and thought it was absolutely wonderful.  I can see why children go mad for it and think I would have too if it had of been released in the 70’s or 80’s. 

Going to work our way through the whole film series and watch one when other tv stuff all gets a bit heavy.

I've just watched them all through again over several nights.

I read all the books first to my eldest daughter, starting around 2010, then watching the film before moving onto the next book, and so on. Then did the same with my youngest.

Watching them now so close together and without the girls was different, gave me a different perspective on a few things - and for a few reasons I found myself getting ridiculously emotional at times.

Overall, though, the books & films are magnificent stories.

Spoiler
The scene in DH1 where, after a succession of failures culminating in Ron storming off, Harry and Hermione dance, never really struck me as anything that special before but this time, especially after now knowing and having listened a bit to the song playing and hearing the lyrics, suddenly took on a whole deeper meaning. I now can't get 'O Children' by Nick Cave out of my head.
[close]
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #53055 on: April 15, 2021, 11:55:08 pm »
Nobody on Amazon prime  :shocked

Never in a million years did I think Bob Odenkirk could play a role like that and pull it off! way over the top, batshit crazy and I loved it!

And the soundtrack  :scarf :wellin

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7888964/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #53056 on: April 16, 2021, 05:46:27 pm »

Never in a million years did I think Bob Odenkirk could play a role like that and pull it off! way over the top, batshit crazy and I loved it!

First third/half, I really enjoyed. Then it went a little too John Wick for me. Still a fun hour and a half.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #53057 on: April 17, 2021, 07:46:36 am »

How are you guys watching this? I didn’t think it was out yet. And I can’t see it on Prime  :-\

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53058 on: April 17, 2021, 10:53:12 am »
Love and Monsters on Netflix. Really enjoyed it. Well worth a watch.

Online Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #53059 on: April 17, 2021, 12:20:17 pm »
How are you guys watching this? I didn’t think it was out yet. And I can’t see it on Prime  :-\

I downloaded the torrent, I've just checked my Prime and it's not on mine either so I'm guessing they have released it in the US first?

So you can either download the torrent like I did or use a VPN and change your location to America.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53060 on: April 17, 2021, 12:23:04 pm »

Yes !   Saw it on the big screen where I am and it was boss to have YNWA blasting out the cinema  ;D  mad scene like  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #53061 on: April 17, 2021, 01:28:07 pm »

I've just watched them all through again over several nights.

I read all the books first to my eldest daughter, starting around 2010, then watching the film before moving onto the next book, and so on. Then did the same with my youngest.

Watching them now so close together and without the girls was different, gave me a different perspective on a few things - and for a few reasons I found myself getting ridiculously emotional at times.

Overall, though, the books & films are magnificent stories.

Spoiler
The scene in DH1 where, after a succession of failures culminating in Ron storming off, Harry and Hermione dance, never really struck me as anything that special before but this time, especially after now knowing and having listened a bit to the song playing and hearing the lyrics, suddenly took on a whole deeper meaning. I now can't get 'O Children' by Nick Cave out of my head.
[close]

I could never get on with the books for some reason, though they were a standard Christmas present for my nephews. I found the films a bit mixed, enjoyed the first two and probably the last two the most. One of those things, you have to give a try to at least.  :D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53062 on: April 17, 2021, 02:29:26 pm »
Gave Alien: Covenant a watch yesterday. Wish I hadn’t. Amazing visuals and scenery but hopeless characters. My word. It was almost like watching the first Scream movie. Never cared much for science fiction but I feel like I must watch the original Alien movie at some point.

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53063 on: April 17, 2021, 05:12:31 pm »
Gave Alien: Covenant a watch yesterday. Wish I hadn’t. Amazing visuals and scenery but hopeless characters. My word. It was almost like watching the first Scream movie. Never cared much for science fiction but I feel like I must watch the original Alien movie at some point.

I feel like the Alien movies quality has been in a steady decline since after the 2nd movie on and never recovered.

The original is still the best for me,one of the classics.

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #53064 on: April 17, 2021, 05:30:24 pm »
Ive found since lockdown all I really want in films is quality entertainment....I like ' heavy' or Artistic films but had no appetite  for them...e.g give me a ' Knives Out'..but a quality film...I seem to have watched everything...struggling to find  for a film tonight....want to watch First Cow but not on established platforms here ( I'm in Amsterdam)

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #53065 on: April 17, 2021, 07:11:27 pm »
Roe v. Wade is on my list to watch. Shall report back after watching it.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53066 on: April 17, 2021, 07:23:34 pm »
Just watched Official Secrets with Kiera Knightley. Bit tense at times and a sad reminder of the state of the modern worlds politicians.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53067 on: April 17, 2021, 09:31:40 pm »
News of the world with Tom Hanks was good.
Monos is rubbish.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #53068 on: April 17, 2021, 09:40:49 pm »
Haven't watched it yet but Sound of Metal turned up on Prime this week.
Not seen this yet, but heard good things about it....
was told several actors turned it down as the director demanded they learn sign lanuage & drumming  8)
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #53069 on: April 17, 2021, 10:36:55 pm »

Quite light but enjoyable.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #53070 on: April 18, 2021, 02:38:42 pm »
Hes also in The Looming Tower, pretty good in that as well.

He is yep and it is very good.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #53071 on: April 18, 2021, 02:40:52 pm »
Ive found since lockdown all I really want in films is quality entertainment....I like ' heavy' or Artistic films but had no appetite  for them...e.g give me a ' Knives Out'..but a quality film...I seem to have watched everything...struggling to find  for a film tonight....want to watch First Cow but not on established platforms here ( I'm in Amsterdam)

City if God is brilliant.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #53072 on: April 18, 2021, 05:24:55 pm »

Just finished watching this. Really like Odenkirk so was able to forgive some of the absurd stuff but it was really enjoyable. YNWA was a shock to the system too.

Think it’s probably is set up for a sequel? The clip in the middle of the credits with the friend/Dad was a strong hint or just a Back To The Future gag?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #53073 on: April 20, 2021, 07:51:04 am »

How dare you. The first Scream movie is excellent.

But yeah Covenant is garbage. Scott should have stopped making movies a long time ago. Probably after The Martian if we're generous.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53074 on: April 20, 2021, 08:48:01 pm »

I gave this a watch - thought it was alright, a sort of mash-up of Zombieland, I am Legend and Monsters.
The issue was that it seemed to me like that they hadn't quite worked out exactly what kind of film they wanted it to be, so it turned into a middling action-adventure-comedy.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53075 on: April 21, 2021, 08:19:52 pm »
Watched Sound Of Metal this evening, excellent film with a phenomenal lead performance from Riz Ahmed.

The sound design is amazing and so inventive as we switch between conventional sound to that representing Rubens quickly deteriorating hearing.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #53076 on: April 22, 2021, 04:26:31 pm »
The world is genuinely round the fucking bend...every time you think you've scene everything, another bat shit crazy thing happens...

Ben Wheatley is directing The Meg 2

::)

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53077 on: April 22, 2021, 04:45:43 pm »
Danish film "Riders of Justice" is one of the best I've seen this year.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53078 on: April 22, 2021, 07:46:07 pm »
Danish film "Riders of Justice" is one of the best I've seen this year.

:) Has 2 out of 3 of my favourite danish actors,thanks.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53079 on: April 24, 2021, 10:09:25 am »
The new Mortal Kombat is out in the usual places.