Author Topic: Navigate through Liverpool, space and time just by a short phrase.  (Read 4492 times)

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
Re: Navigate through Liverpool, space and time just by a short phrase.
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2021, 03:12:04 pm »
Ha ha - no worries free-for-all!!

It's like RUNAROUND!
G G G G Go!
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2021, 06:18:45 am »
Snooker.. at a night club?!

Also.. two pubs... in a nightclub!!?

:)

The Quad?
We are Liverpool!

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2021, 08:08:53 pm »
Ah. I thought so as I have no idea how to play this.    ;D

The Dockers Steps then.  ;D

Is that the same as the Seven Steps on Sefton Street?
Victorious and glorious....

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2021, 12:39:00 am »
Is that the same as the Seven Steps on Sefton Street?
No. The Dockers' Steps is another name for the Herculaneum Steps that go from Grafton Street and take you down to Ellerman Road / Riverside Drive.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2021, 07:56:11 pm »
No. The Dockers' Steps is another name for the Herculaneum Steps that go from Grafton Street and take you down to Ellerman Road / Riverside Drive.

I have a vague childhood memory of my Dad taking me to the Steps and looking down onto the river. It would be around 1957 and probably Autumn as it was misty.

We lived off Mill Street so not that far to walk, even for a five year old. Mind you we regularly walked up to my Nan's off Lodge Lane so I was probably as fit as a butcher's dog.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2021, 08:21:58 pm »
I was probably as fit as a butcher's dog.
;D

Love all your stories mate. Where did that phrase come from? I've heard it all my life.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2021, 10:08:14 pm »
;D

Love all your stories mate. Where did that phrase come from? I've heard it all my life.

I've no idea. One of the few Scouse expressions which aren't in any way related to seafaring.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2021, 10:52:58 pm »
I have a vague childhood memory of my Dad taking me to the Steps and looking down onto the river. It would be around 1957 and probably Autumn as it was misty.

We lived off Mill Street so not that far to walk, even for a five year old. Mind you we regularly walked up to my Nan's off Lodge Lane so I was probably as fit as a butcher's dog.

Pretty sure in 1957 the steps were still gated. They led down to the docks then (I think they only filled them in in the 70s), and the steps were private afaik (seem to think they belonged to the railway. I have read somewhere there was a guard at the top too.

Just looked it up and saw that the overhead station Heraculeum dock closed on 30 December 1956, and was finally demolished in 1958. Wonder if that was a reason for your visit down there as a small boy?

(The station wasn't by the steps btw, for those that are getting confused. The steps are right at the end of Grafton St and sit next to some bedrock. The station was a bit further along and could be reached by an iron bridge from where the Heraculeum pub still is. The stone pillars that were next to the bridge are still there, as is of course the tunnel entrance where the overhead became an underground railway to reach Dingle station.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 11:02:42 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2021, 06:52:06 am »
I lived in South Liverpool most of my life and never been down the Dockers Steps. I´ll have to remedy that.

Actually came across this blog while looking for the Dockers Steps, which has a nice bit of history and some photos of the South Docks:

https://asenseofplace.com/2013/11/17/in-liverpool-the-south-docks/

Also heres a nice photo of a ship in the Herculaneum Dock looking up at the Dingle:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/442408363392170632/

To be honest I didn´t know much about the South Docks at all, and I used to pass that way all the time on my bike into town. Didn´t know the old Overhead went that far either.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2021, 07:35:38 am »
^ ^ ^
That's a great little blog Carpo.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2021, 10:24:55 am »
Pretty sure in 1957 the steps were still gated. They led down to the docks then (I think they only filled them in in the 70s), and the steps were private afaik (seem to think they belonged to the railway. I have read somewhere there was a guard at the top too.

Just looked it up and saw that the overhead station Heraculeum dock closed on 30 December 1956, and was finally demolished in 1958. Wonder if that was a reason for your visit down there as a small boy?

(The station wasn't by the steps btw, for those that are getting confused. The steps are right at the end of Grafton St and sit next to some bedrock. The station was a bit further along and could be reached by an iron bridge from where the Heraculeum pub still is. The stone pillars that were next to the bridge are still there, as is of course the tunnel entrance where the overhead became an underground railway to reach Dingle station.)

Without wishing to derail the thread my memories of what was probably the Herculaneum Steps I have much more vivid and accurate memories I'd cutting my forehead open.

I was about five and bored. I was swivelling the foot of a large household broom with my own foot. My Dad warned me that, if I wasn't careful it would smack me in the face. I carried on and the inevitable happened leaving me with a gash in my forehead.

My head was wrapped in a tea towel and off we walked down to the old Royal Southern, somewhere around Grafton St. On the way a couple of blokes outside one of the pubs asked what happened and when they were told simply said 'He won't do that again in a hurry' My Dad agreed with them. Compassion was in short supply in the 1950s.

Six painful stitches later, returned home and then a telling off from my Mum for ruining a tea towel.