Author Topic: Overrated?  (Read 43838 times)

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Re: Overrated?
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2021, 05:53:52 pm »
BIG DICK NICK.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2021, 06:09:51 pm »
Totally fair. Just doesn't seem like the show is overrated if you're not able to watch them. I think you have to have seen a few seasons of a show to say it's overrated. And you can even like one and say that too.

A show like Breaking Bad gets so much hype especially in these repetitive best ever show lists that you expect something special from them when you watch them. I watched the first series and each episode I kept thinking surely something is going to connect with me here, but it never did. I really struggle with how much love and over the top appreciation it gets, so to me it does come across as overrated in my opinion. Opinions are obviously subjective though and not everyone will agree. One of the biggest problems I get with watching any of these big American shows is also the number of series they seem to make, it like you have to give a life commitment to them. I much prefer the way British shows tend to plan it around the five series mark.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2021, 06:12:34 pm »
I was treated like a social leper in work for daring to say Breaking Bad was shite.

I get the impression some people would rather struggle through a series, even though it was garbage, just to be part of the 'in crowd' talking about it.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2021, 06:13:25 pm »
Oh and Black Mirror. It's awful.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2021, 06:16:39 pm »
I was treated like a social leper in work for daring to say Breaking Bad was shite.

I get the impression some people would rather struggle through a series, even though it was garbage, just to be part of the 'in crowd' talking about it.

I feel a bit like that in the office when X Factor was on, must have been the only one who didn't watch it.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2021, 06:18:04 pm »
there's a lot of this in this thread

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2021, 06:20:02 pm »
You talking movies? The Vietnam war docu by Ken Burns is good. On Netflix still i'm sure
Yeah the movies mate. 

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2021, 06:23:28 pm »

A show like Breaking Bad gets so much hype especially in these repetitive best ever show lists that you expect something special from them when you watch them. I watched the first series and each episode I kept thinking surely something is going to connect with me here, but it never did. I really struggle with how much love and over the top appreciation it gets, so to me it does come across as overrated in my opinion. Opinions are obviously subjective though and not everyone will agree. One of the biggest problems I get with watching any of these big American shows is also the number of series they seem to make, it like you have to give a life commitment to them. I much prefer the way British shows tend to plan it around the five series mark.

Is pretty much how we felt about it too Jill.

After the 1st series that we'd watched one after another to "really get into the storyline" we couldn't understand why people were raving about it.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2021, 06:24:08 pm »

Totally agree mate.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2021, 06:30:47 pm »
This thread is just weird.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2021, 06:38:17 pm »
I can't believe two people have said Bruce Springsteen :(
Make that three.

I think he's shite.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2021, 06:40:34 pm »
Sex Pistols. This is just a matter of taste and timing though I guess. Not my genre, not my era.

Killing Eve, Fleabag, Bodyguard...anything similar to those. Utterly mediocre.
With the Sex Pistols, you really had to be there at the time.

I'm with you on the rest though.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2021, 06:42:00 pm »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2021, 06:47:56 pm »
BIG DICK NICK.

Underrated if you ask me. Day after day he turns up for his shift, puts in the hard work, and blesses us with average-to-good puns. Far more overrated posters on here to be honest.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2021, 06:54:38 pm »
BIGDICKNICK is a shining light amongst all the shite on here, we'd be lost without his puns ffs.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2021, 06:55:31 pm »
Pulp Fiction.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2021, 07:05:29 pm »
Underrated if you ask me. Day after day he turns up for his shift, puts in the hard work, and blesses us with average-to-good puns. Far more overrated posters on here to be honest.
He's a solid 6 out of 10 is our Nick, although half his puns are Alan Patridge quotes. You just expect so much more with a name like that. AVERAGE DICK NICK if you ask me.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2021, 07:15:15 pm »
How could you find something annoying having never seen an episode of it?  ;D

I've seen episodes, I've just never managed to stick with one from start to finish.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2021, 07:26:37 pm »
He's a solid 6 out of 10 is our Nick, although half his puns are Alan Patridge quotes. You just expect so much more with a name like that. AVERAGE DICK NICK if you ask me.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2021, 08:11:14 pm »
BIG DICK NICK.

Who rates him in the first place?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2021, 08:49:17 pm »

BIGDICKNICK is a shining light amongst all the shite on here, we'd be lost without his puns ffs.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2021, 09:11:19 pm »
there's a lot of this in this thread

Yep, anoraks everywhere.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2021, 09:12:40 pm »
Yep, anoraks everywhere.

Don't think that's true, everyone has different likings for shows and films. It's one of those subjects which are really personal to the individual person.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2021, 09:15:20 pm »
Don't think that's true, everyone has different likings for shows and films. It's one of those subjects which are really personal to the individual person.
Yep, no right or wrong answers (except those divvies who said Pink Floyd of course!) :D

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2021, 09:19:52 pm »
Yes, you can’t legislate for poor taste.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2021, 09:35:24 pm »
I loved Breaking Bad - have watched it twice.  I also love Peaky Blinders, with the added bonus of spotting places in Liverpool.

Liked the Sopranos and the Wire.

I do think Bladerunner is overrated but I have to caveat that with the fact that I had to write a 3000 word assignment on it and postmodernism, which stressed me out no end and that probably totally removed any enjoyment of said movie.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2021, 09:51:01 pm »

TV Show:
The Wire

Music:
The Rolling Stones

Film:
Easy one - Withnail and I, or Magnolia

Book:
Even easier - On the Road. Illiterate, boring, overrated wank.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2021, 09:51:39 pm »
So many Bruce Springsteen shouts. He’s my favourite artist so this is particularly confusing to me.

Now having said that, I would like to nominate Bruce Springsteen’s later work. Albums, broadway show, autobiography...all overrated.

I’m a radical.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2021, 09:55:16 pm »
Yes, you can’t legislate for poor taste.

It's nothing to do with poor taste, people judge show by different parameters. What's the most important thing? Characterisation, script, a show that entices as well as entertains?

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2021, 10:00:14 pm »
God.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2021, 10:01:08 pm »
What a shout Fleabag was a page back. Shite.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2021, 10:08:22 pm »
The wire is phenomenal but slow to get going. An extraordinary piece of television.
I don't think anyone who hasn't watched it in its entirety has the right to call it overrated. Just needed to get that out there ;D
Fair enough if you watched it and didn't think it was all that great. I'd love to know what anyone thought was better?

There's a difference between thinking something is overrated and hating it too. I haven't hated many of the popular shows but I'm a little "meh" about a few. Everything Roddy Doyle falls into that category.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2021, 10:15:59 pm »
Any of these bogus 'spontaneous' humour quiz type shows - fuck them all off.
NAKED BOOBERY

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2021, 10:16:57 pm »
Miranda
Citizen Khan
Mrs. Brown's Boys
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2021, 10:20:53 pm »
Breaking Bad.

To have that steaming pile of one 'deus ex machina' per episode compared to Sopranos or The Wire is an insult to sanity and reason.

This 1000 times over. Breaking Bad bored me to tears in terms of pacing, and while I could see the acting was good the fucking ridiculousness of the plot made me want to tear my hair out. I lost track of how many times I thought to myself 'Yeah, as if that would happen like that.'

I really wanted to like it, gave it a a couple of tries, could never get into it.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2021, 10:21:55 pm »
The Office
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Also all those Scandinavia cop shows that were all the rage a few years ago. Some were decent, but not much more than that.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 10:31:08 pm by Just Elmo? »

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2021, 10:32:29 pm »
What a shout Fleabag was a page back. Shite.
It was the first thing that came to mind. People have elevated that show and Phoebe Waller-Bridge to ridiculous levels of acclaim.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2021, 10:54:14 pm »

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2021, 11:36:52 pm »
This 1000 times over. Breaking Bad bored me to tears in terms of pacing, and while I could see the acting was good the fucking ridiculousness of the plot made me want to tear my hair out. I lost track of how many times I thought to myself 'Yeah, as if that would happen like that.'

I really wanted to like it, gave it a a couple of tries, could never get into it.

To me, this is a valid shout. You tried it, there's a reason you didn't like it, and thus you think it's overrated

( I think it is too but for different reasons and I still love the show).

Too many people in here say they watched one episode and it was shit. That's not really fair.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2021, 11:48:05 pm »
Definitely Marvel films for me

I've seen a good fair few of them, and they've been decent popcorn flicks... But there's actually people that act like they are masterpieces. And they're everywhere. One of the lads sent a post of how there will be an episode or movie released like every nearly every week of the year (he was excited for that).. So oversaturated