Author Topic: Five English clubs named in ‘European Super League’ plan for 2021  (Read 38609 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Five English clubs named in ‘European Super League’ plan for 2021
« Reply #440 on: April 18, 2021, 06:04:09 pm »
There will be no governing body and the owners of the franchises will make the rules. So the clubs in theory could relocate to where ever they want.
Playing devils advocate here, but for decades (and maybe still), the head of world football was paid off in bribes of gold bullion and used to smuggle it back home using diplomatic immunity.

We don’t exactly have a good situation as it stands
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: April 18, 2021, 06:05:34 pm »
The ESL will be for the football World what the NBA is for the basketball World. The best players, the best coaches, the best referees, the best executives. Of course, the NBA has not ruined the game of basketball all over the World. The effect was quite the opposite ...

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #442 on: April 18, 2021, 06:05:51 pm »
Worst shout of the day :P

:D A bit radical but people will need a sport to watch if the ESL doesn’t give what they think it will.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #443 on: April 18, 2021, 06:06:26 pm »
Neville chatting shit about something he clearly doesn’t understand.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: April 18, 2021, 06:06:48 pm »

I think he’s spot on.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #445 on: April 18, 2021, 06:07:32 pm »
Saw this in the other thread ...

"Umm let me see, would I rather watch top level football every week or have to endure the likes of small clubs like Everton and West Ham kick lumps out of our lads with zero consequences every other week?
Yeah tough one that."

To which I'll say ... Sergio Ramos says hi.

quite!

The levels of shithousery you’d see from Spanish and Italian teams, along with also having England’s biggest divers and cheats still in the competition would raise those levels significantly.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #446 on: April 18, 2021, 06:08:32 pm »
I think he’s spot on.

I’m not saying his opinion isn’t, but some of the stuff he’s saying is ridiculous.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #447 on: April 18, 2021, 06:10:08 pm »
Playing devils advocate here, but for decades (and maybe still), the head of world football was paid off in bribes of gold bullion and used to smuggle it back home using diplomatic immunity.

We don’t exactly have a good situation as it stands

For me the solution is to make the game more open and fairer. This proposal will just do the opposite. As fans we need to join together and call this out for what it is a money grab and the creation of a closed shop.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: April 18, 2021, 06:10:48 pm »
Kill me now

Tbf I started watching NBA during 2020 and play off season is actually a great watch. Regular season is pretty meh and the breaks do piss me off but I think it will grow amongst the younger generation (millennials and downwards). When I walk past local schools I see a lot more of the kids playing basketball too compared to my years. Privately I’ve also thought any new ideas in football will follow that American style so will be interesting to see.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: April 18, 2021, 06:11:01 pm »
I find it amazing how quickly UEFA can act when money and self interest is involved but continually fail to react regarding racism.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: April 18, 2021, 06:11:52 pm »
Tbf I started watching NBA during 2020 and play off season is actually a great watch. Regular season is pretty meh and the breaks do piss me off but I think it will grow amongst the younger generation (millennials and downwards). When I walk past local schools I see a lot more of the kids playing basketball too compared to my years. Privately I’ve also thought any new ideas in football will follow that American style so will be interesting to see.

NBA will certainly get bigger if Football is basically following its template.

And I love NBA but they have problems with people only tuning in playoff time.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 06:13:31 pm by Coolie High »

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: April 18, 2021, 06:12:33 pm »

And again- Sky crying about money destroying the game

No one is the good side in this, everyone is just interested in money.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #452 on: April 18, 2021, 06:12:56 pm »
For me the solution is to make the game more open and fairer. This proposal will just do the opposite. As fans we need to join together and call this out for what it is a money grab and the creation of a closed shop.

Out of interest Al how does calling this out suddenly make the game more open and fairer? We have a Premier League who allows sport washing individuals to own football clubs, we have UEFA who have now trampled on their own FFP, and whose current suggestions for the CL are total wank. While I don't entirely support this I find it really hard to speak up for those currently running the game, who have been so utterly useless.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: April 18, 2021, 06:13:05 pm »
Super League sounds awful, but we’re already at the stage of having a small handful of clubs competing to see who can finish runner up to a Middle Eastern sportswashing operation with the rest of League forced into prioritising staying on the gravy train above any faint hope of bagging a trophy.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #454 on: April 18, 2021, 06:13:51 pm »
And again- Sky crying about money destroying the game

No one is the good side in this, everyone is just interested in money.

Is exactly right.

Millionaire footballers who have made shit loads from a PL and CL which has marginalised others is fucking ironic.

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: April 18, 2021, 06:14:19 pm »
This will be the death knell for loads of smaller clubs.

Its just pure greed.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #456 on: April 18, 2021, 06:15:31 pm »
'European Super League plans set to be announced - six English teams involved, Sky News understands':-

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12279493/european-super-league-plans-set-to-be-announced-six-english-teams-involved-sky-news-understands

'Six English teams are expected to be part of plans for a breakaway European Super League, with an announcement due on Sunday night, Sky News understands.

Among the English clubs involved are Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea.'

^ Not the most reliable of sources - but does state there'll be an announcement due tonight... (hopefully not whilst Line Of Duty is on - mother of god...)

;D
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #457 on: April 18, 2021, 06:15:35 pm »
Give your heads a wobble if you think this is a good thing. Some of the comments on here about poor old Liverpool up against bent refs etc like we haven't been right up there with the greediest clubs of the lot since Sky came along. Try telling any fan of any club outside of the top four of English football that we are somehow persecuted.

This is an absolute sham designed solely to make more money out of a worldwide audience and pulling up the ladder on everyone else. It's fucking off years of history so foreign owners with no attachment to the game can make a few more dollars. There's no defending it at all. None. It's wrong on every level.

Quoted from the other thread. Sums it up nicely.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: April 18, 2021, 06:16:10 pm »
This will be the death knell for loads of smaller clubs.

Its just pure greed.

They don’t care about clubs like yours or the people who support them mate, shame.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: April 18, 2021, 06:16:26 pm »
Football died a long time ago, why make the stand now, because the super league wont be shown on sky?

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: April 18, 2021, 06:17:00 pm »
The problem is that without a total collapse of football this isn't happening. Greed is king in football and everyone is desperate for their slice of money. I don't think for example Burnley's owners care about the fairness of football, they don't want to lose out on the TV money. Same with the Premier League, UEFA and FIFA. Maybe this needs to happen and fail hopefully for some structural reforms, but even if it did fail I imagine it just creates an opening for someone else to step in and make a lot of money.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: April 18, 2021, 06:17:54 pm »
Football died a long time ago, why make the stand now, because the super league wont be shown on sky?

Will be funny when they bid for the rights.

Online Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: April 18, 2021, 06:18:23 pm »

;D Wonder if Neville will be commentating on the games.

Offline cheesemason

• Kopite
« Reply #463 on: April 18, 2021, 06:18:52 pm »

Wonder if they will try for all PPV?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: April 18, 2021, 06:19:58 pm »
;D Wonder if Neville will be commentating on the games.

“Im here Martin. I dont want to be here. But this will be an incredible game between two gang of c*nts”.

“....and its LIVE”

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #465 on: April 18, 2021, 06:20:02 pm »
I’m not saying his opinion isn’t, but some of the stuff he’s saying is ridiculous.

He's obviously hugely emotional about it and he's probably not had much time to compose his thoughts on it, his tone and anger is completely right though.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #466 on: April 18, 2021, 06:22:53 pm »
Super League sounds awful, but we’re already at the stage of having a small handful of clubs competing to see who can finish runner up to a Middle Eastern sportswashing operation with the rest of League forced into prioritising staying on the gravy train above any faint hope of bagging a trophy.

Very true.

Another thing worth mentioning is all these clubs jibbing off the domestic cups by playing 2nd string teams do so to make sure they remain in the Premier League because of the financial reward.  So don't let anyone kid you about sporting merit etc
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #467 on: April 18, 2021, 06:23:31 pm »
He's obviously hugely emotional about it and he's probably not had much time to compose his thoughts on it, his tone and anger is completely right though.

I wounder if this will be the end of Sky Sports if this thing allows clubs to sell games on their individual club platforms for example

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: April 18, 2021, 06:23:52 pm »
There is a lot wrong with the PL and UEFA/FIFA but this is a shit idea and solution. This means more can fuck off too

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: April 18, 2021, 06:23:54 pm »

Gary Neville? Talking crap and not understanding something?

I can’t believe that. I mean, it so out of character for him.  ;D

Offline Studgotelli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: April 18, 2021, 06:24:08 pm »
NBA will certainly get bigger if Football is basically following its template.

And I love NBA but they have problems with people only tuning in playoff time.

Yeah that will be the challenge for the ESL. Watching the same big teams play each other could get old but then in the PL we pretty much play the same 14/15 teams each year anyway.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: April 18, 2021, 06:26:00 pm »

Well, the PL and UEFA have certainly failed in making the game more open and fairer.

And the creation of the ESL will certainly not damage the game, especially if it is run by competent people, which is not the case at the moment with UEFA and the current national leagues.

The rise of the NBA certainly hasn't ruined the game of basketball. Quite the opposite, it has forced FIBA to be far more organized and professional itself, resulting in a massive development of the game all over the World.

The same goes for the NFL. It's rise has only helped the development of the game overall, and the college american football teams actually have bigger stadiums and more fans at their games than the NFL teams, for cheaper tickets ...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 06:29:51 pm by PeterTheRed »

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #472 on: April 18, 2021, 06:26:16 pm »
I cannot help but feel this will open up a whole can of legal issues on all aspects like clubs who are not involved in it.

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #473 on: April 18, 2021, 06:26:21 pm »
Not keen on the idea of this at all. I am however, enjoying the hypocrisy of Sky/UEFA/FIFA all rushing to denounce it.

What would be hilarious, is if we joined a European Super League that Man City aren't invited to. A silver lining to this would be them winning the league every year against the likes of Everton & Villa whilst we're playing against the best of the best every week.

In all seriousness though, it's a poor move from all teams concerned, taking away sporting merit and, as others have said, pulling the ladder away from smaller clubs.

If we could have more focus on FFP and actually make clubs like City fucking play by the rules, then the current league set up must be protected.

If the powers that be continue to ignore clubs like City & PSG, letting them carry on doing whatever they want, a change like the Super League seems inevitable imo.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #474 on: April 18, 2021, 06:27:10 pm »

Indeed. The level of hypocrisy is off the scale. We know the reasons American owners invested in ‘soccer’. We know the different reasons why Oil rich countries and Russian oligarchs did.

But the ideas - that the game has been run well (Russia and Qatar being awarded world cups on ‘merit’ is deeply insulting to one’s intelligence) or that Sky and BT have been involved in bidding wars for T.V rights for the love of the game, or that the Premier League’s formation didn’t adversely affect the Football League and the overall game’s finances - just sums up the game’s double standards.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: April 18, 2021, 06:30:18 pm »
Sky grabbing the moral highground is a beyond a joke

They only care about the status quo as it benefits them as rights holders

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: April 18, 2021, 06:30:59 pm »
Indeed. The level of hypocrisy is off the scale. We know the reasons American owners invested in ‘soccer’. We know the different reasons why Oil rich countries and Russian oligarchs did.

But the ideas - that the game has been run well (Russia and Qatar being awarded world cups on ‘merit’ is deeply insulting to one’s intelligence) or that Sky and BT have been involved in bidding wars for T.V rights for the love of the game, or that the Premier League’s formation didn’t adversely affect the Football League and the overall game’s finances - just sums up the game’s double standards.

So what do you do? You make it worse..

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: April 18, 2021, 06:31:13 pm »
Neville says this while he's paid by Sky, he's for absolute sale
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #478 on: April 18, 2021, 06:31:53 pm »
Gary Neville is so thick.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #479 on: April 18, 2021, 06:33:33 pm »
I sort of disagree and agree with this super league for different reasons.

But I find the anger about it from the media a bit odd to be honest
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W