Author Topic: Spanish Football  (Read 581557 times)

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Spanish Football
« Reply #6720 on: May 8, 2021, 05:10:02 pm »
Never thought I would find myself routing for Atletico but would like to see them take La Liga just to teach the other two a lesson.

True but Atletico were part of ESL as well.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #6721 on: May 8, 2021, 05:34:42 pm »
If Real win tomorrow do they go above Atletico? They have an inferior goal difference but I know it's done H2H in Spain.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2021, 05:37:18 pm by Caligula? »

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6722 on: May 8, 2021, 05:40:26 pm »
If Real win tomorrow do they go above Atletico? They have an inferior goal difference but I know it's done H2H in Spain.

Think Real go top mate sure they have took 4 points off Arletico

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #6723 on: May 8, 2021, 05:51:46 pm »
Not a bad result for Atletico but I'm convinced they won't win it anyway. Their last 3 are Sociedad, Osasuna and Valladolid which are obviously more than winnable, but never underestimate their ability to pull out a 0-0 from nowhere.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #6724 on: May 8, 2021, 06:28:21 pm »
Not a bad result for Atletico but I'm convinced they won't win it anyway. Their last 3 are Sociedad, Osasuna and Valladolid which are obviously more than winnable, but never underestimate their ability to pull out a 0-0 from nowhere.

Realistically all Read Madrid have to do is win all of their remaining games and they'll win the league. Sevilla tomorrow is a tough one but if they win that they'll probably go on and win it. Which is saying something given how absolutely tragic they were in the semi final against Chelsea.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #6725 on: May 8, 2021, 06:40:02 pm »
Realistically all Read Madrid have to do is win all of their remaining games and they'll win the league. Sevilla tomorrow is a tough one but if they win that they'll probably go on and win it. Which is saying something given how absolutely tragic they were in the semi final against Chelsea.

They were very lucky to win it last year. The time off around March to the resumption of play helped them, and if Barca had kept the old fella they'd likely have won it again. I think generally since they won the double in 2017 they've been really poor for large portions of that time. Nice of them to squeeze in that final win against us though  ;D
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6726 on: May 9, 2021, 07:16:23 pm »
Real Madrid vs Sevilla. Another massive game.

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #6727 on: May 9, 2021, 08:40:21 pm »
Sevilla putting the cat amongst the pigeons, 1-0 vs Real, with just under 40mins gone.  If they stay ahead, it will be 4pts between the top 4 with 3 games left.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6728 on: May 9, 2021, 08:47:26 pm »
Mon Sevilla.

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
« Reply #6729 on: May 9, 2021, 08:50:36 pm »
Mad that Atletico can still win it after being mostly crap all of 2021. Its basically who is the least shit (except Sevilla who have overachieved).

The league needs some quality additions like Mbappe/Haaland to make it better.
True North Strong

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6730 on: May 9, 2021, 09:34:59 pm »
Think the penalty's gone to the wrong team there, which makes it all the sweeter.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6731 on: May 9, 2021, 09:37:36 pm »
It's all going off at the Bernabeu!!  Real equalised after 67mins, after an instant impact from the bench by Asensio.  Now there's been penalty shouts at both ends, but VAR has given the penalty to Sevilla & it's now 1-2, Rakitic scored the penalty, less than 10mins to go.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #6732 on: May 9, 2021, 09:50:43 pm »
It's all going off at the Bernabeu!!  Real equalised after 67mins, after an instant impact from the bench by Asensio.  Now there's been penalty shouts at both ends, but VAR has given the penalty to Sevilla & it's now 1-2, Rakitic scored the penalty, less than 10mins to go.

Ex Barca too

Atletico should win it now
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #6733 on: May 9, 2021, 09:50:55 pm »
This still going? How long left?
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #6734 on: May 9, 2021, 09:55:41 pm »

2-2 now

Hazard in last minute
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #6735 on: May 9, 2021, 09:57:56 pm »
Just finished, 2-2. Diego Carlos OG in the 94th to scramble a point for Real. I only just flicked it on as I’d been watching the Juve Milan game, but the replays are making this one look pure chaos.

Atleti let off again - if they don’t win the title, and I hate this term, it’s a massive and legitimate bottle job from them.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #6736 on: May 9, 2021, 10:09:13 pm »
Thanks lads. Always good to see Real get done over.

You’re right DS, they have to win it now. Two of their last three at home too.

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #6737 on: May 9, 2021, 10:11:52 pm »
Surely Atletico win it from here. Simeone going out with a league title would be a great achievement before he moves on to either Spurs or Arsenal.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6738 on: May 9, 2021, 10:14:52 pm »
So 2pts split the top 3, with 3 games to go:

Atletico 77pts, have got Real Sociedad (H), Osasuna (H) & Real Valladolid (A)
Barca 75pts, have got Levante (A), Celta Vigo (H) & Eibar (A)
Real Madrid 75pts have got Granada (A), Athletic Bilbao (A) & Villarreal (H).

The head to heads are if they are tied on points (not goal difference)

Atletico vs Barca, Atletico won 1-0 & 0-0 draw.  Atletico would finish higher than Barca
Atletico vs Real, Real won 2-0 & a 1-1 draw away Real would finish higher than Atletico
Barca vs Real, Real won 3-1 & 2-1 Real would finish higher than Barca

Think Real have the toughest last 3 games, so I think Atletico will win La Liga by 2pts.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #6739 on: May 9, 2021, 10:15:42 pm »
Surely Atletico win it from here. Simeone going out with a league title would be a great achievement before he moves on to either Spurs or Arsenal.
Think his track record gets him a bigger move than that to be honest. Two la ligas and two champions league finals in the Messi/Ronaldo era is some achievement despite managing it with shit on a stick footy. Juve might need a boss.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6740 on: May 9, 2021, 10:17:56 pm »
Think his track record gets him a bigger move than that to be honest. Two la ligas and two champions league finals in the Messi/Ronaldo era is some achievement despite managing it with shit on a stick footy.

Think Everton will stick with Ancelotti though.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #6741 on: May 9, 2021, 10:18:59 pm »
Think Everton will stick with Ancelotti though.
Carlo is keeping the seat warm for Pep.

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #6742 on: May 9, 2021, 10:21:35 pm »
Think his track record gets him a bigger move than that to be honest. Two la ligas and two champions league finals in the Messi/Ronaldo era is some achievement despite managing it with shit on a stick footy. Juve might need a boss.

I agree. But these days, you never know. He seems like someone who would relish a new challenge. And as for money, Spurs can pay him as much as Juventus can. Or anyone else for that matter. Look at Ancelotti at Everton or even Mourinho as Spurs. The teams that can attract big name managers in the Premier League these days was something that could have never happened even just a decade ago.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #6743 on: May 9, 2021, 10:24:45 pm »
I agree. But these days, you never know. He seems like someone who would relish a new challenge. And as for money, Spurs can pay him as much as Juventus can. Or anyone else for that matter. Look at Ancelotti at Everton or even Mourinho as Spurs. The teams that can attract big name managers in the Premier League these days was something that could have never happened even just a decade ago.
Very fair point. Wherever he goes, the fans are in for some dreary footy.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6744 on: May 10, 2021, 11:53:12 am »
Very fair point. Wherever he goes, the fans are in for some dreary footy.
That's the thing. The club has to completely buy-in to and even go as far as to relish the dug-in, combative shite football they're going to have to endure.

At Atleti, it's almost like the fans enjoy it, they've complete buy-in to Simeone's persona, the fighting spirit that goes with it and get a perverse thrill from deep, well drilled defensive displays that don't offer any joy to the opposition, or even themselves. If he goes to a side with a lineage of attacking, exciting football, like an Arsenal, it is going to quickly wear their fans down. Having said that, Spurs and Arsenal (potentially) are coming off the back of some of their most dour managers of recent times so it may be an easier transition for the fans to swallow, as long as they start winning. Arsenal's older fans will likely revel in a return to the George Graham years - because Simeone is essentially a defensive coach who teaches basic square-transitions and for the midfield to collapse into a defensive three shielding a back 5 when they don't have the ball. It's rudimentary and needs a World Class ball progressor to work (Griezmann, Felix now to some extent etc).

It ain't gonna be fun. I can see him overseeing an ill-fated rebuild at Inter, where he's a fan favourite. He'd surely be too expensive for Juventus to use as a scapegoat, because their next manager will be taking a lot of the flack for the brewing storm of mismanagement that's been allowed to take place in the last 3 seasons.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #6745 on: May 10, 2021, 12:16:49 pm »
That's the thing. The club has to completely buy-in to and even go as far as to relish the dug-in, combative shite football they're going to have to endure.

At Atleti, it's almost like the fans enjoy it, they've complete buy-in to Simeone's persona, the fighting spirit that goes with it and get a perverse thrill from deep, well drilled defensive displays that don't offer any joy to the opposition, or even themselves. If he goes to a side with a lineage of attacking, exciting football, like an Arsenal, it is going to quickly wear their fans down. Having said that, Spurs and Arsenal (potentially) are coming off the back of some of their most dour managers of recent times so it may be an easier transition for the fans to swallow, as long as they start winning. Arsenal's older fans will likely revel in a return to the George Graham years - because Simeone is essentially a defensive coach who teaches basic square-transitions and for the midfield to collapse into a defensive three shielding a back 5 when they don't have the ball. It's rudimentary and needs a World Class ball progressor to work (Griezmann, Felix now to some extent etc).

It ain't gonna be fun. I can see him overseeing an ill-fated rebuild at Inter, where he's a fan favourite. He'd surely be too expensive for Juventus to use as a scapegoat, because their next manager will be taking a lot of the flack for the brewing storm of mismanagement that's been allowed to take place in the last 3 seasons.

So he's off to Everton then.    :)
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6746 on: May 10, 2021, 12:28:31 pm »
So he's off to Everton then.    :)
The Dogs of War would love him. They've pulled the same trick with Ancelotti against us of late.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #6747 on: May 10, 2021, 01:10:32 pm »
Atleti's home form has been excellent in general so they should be going all out v Sociedad and Osasuna. Sociedad no pushovers though but I feel if they can take the next 6 points they won't make a mistake on the last day.
Felix is back now which gives them another huge attacking option. Hope they win it from here but won't surprise me to see it go to the wire.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6748 on: May 10, 2021, 02:26:36 pm »
Easy to forget Felix is only just 21, I suppose moving for such a massive fee at 19 makes it feel like he's been around longer. He's often flattered to deceive but has started to show up in key moments a bit more this season, he's definitely on the cusp of an elite season I feel.

It's good for Atleti that he's back either way - he has unbelievable progressive passing stats in the final third.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6749 on: May 11, 2021, 06:06:28 am »
No way Simeone goes to Juve, he said before he'll manage either Lazio or Inter in Italy. I can't see him going to England either because of the language barrier as Sid Lowe said before that a lot of Someone's methods in motivating players relies on him being able to express himself without the need for a translator.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6750 on: May 11, 2021, 12:26:51 pm »
No way Simeone goes to Juve, he said before he'll manage either Lazio or Inter in Italy. I can't see him going to England either because of the language barrier as Sid Lowe said before that a lot of Someone's methods in motivating players relies on him being able to express himself without the need for a translator.
All fair. He won't go to Lazio I doubt at present - that's a step down. Inter is a bigger job but that's awash with uncertainty at present. I can easily see Conte doing one this summer though. He's combative and agitated with his own club at the best of times - he complained about a lack of backing in the market when he'd been there three weeks and they'd just dropped €70m on Lukaku for him. He won't stick around if he thinks they're selling off the best players.

Sid Lowe's stuff is often very good when I read it. My natural inclination towards Serie A and Bundesliga do mean I miss some of his stuff at times. I've heard his book Fear and Loathing in La Liga is a top read.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6751 on: May 11, 2021, 12:48:50 pm »
Zidane to Juventus, Conte to Real Madrid, Simeone to Inter.

Watch this space.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6752 on: May 11, 2021, 01:58:28 pm »
Zidane to Juventus, Conte to Real Madrid, Simeone to Inter.

Watch this space.
It all kinda makes sense, one way or another.

Zidane actually brings some credibility to the Juve role (although I don't actually know what type of coach he is and think his trophies and achievements far exceed his actual managerial talent) that Pirlo does not have at present.

Conte would likely win Real a domestic title then fall out with Perez.

And Simeone needs somewhere to land if this is his last hurrah at Atleti. I don't ever see him winning a CL, and two league titles in a period of Madrid and Barca dominance and heavy spending is a great achievement.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #6753 on: May 11, 2021, 10:15:31 pm »
Barca were 2 up, currently 2-2 at Levante.

Now 3-2 up, Dembele. Mad 2nd half.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 10:18:08 pm by Ray K »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #6754 on: May 11, 2021, 10:18:18 pm »
Crazy game.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #6755 on: May 11, 2021, 10:37:43 pm »
3-3 now, 82 mins. Title's over for them if they don't score.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #6756 on: May 11, 2021, 10:56:45 pm »
Pique should have never rushed back for the CL, seems a statue now.   Barca really don't want to win the title I guess....

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #6757 on: May 13, 2021, 03:52:08 pm »
Barca 33/1 now. :)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6758 on: May 14, 2021, 10:51:30 am »
Atleti really do have to win it from here. 2 point lead, two games left. Although their head to head isn't good enough so they do need more points. That win against Sociedad, the best team they had left to play, was massive. In the second half they just collectively looked so, so worn out.

At home to midtable Osasuna this weekend - who have nothing to play for - then away to Valladolid on the last day of the season, who are two points from safety and may need to win to stay up. Although, if Huesca and Getafe both win (unlikely) Valladolid will be down before then, which would surely give Atleti the title.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6759 on: May 14, 2021, 12:16:54 pm »
Real are away to Bilbao this weekend, and then they're lucky to have Villarreal at home to close the season three days before the EL final.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.