Author Topic: Liverpool news thread  (Read 122445 times)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool news thread
« on: March 15, 2016, 01:06:14 pm »
No mention of how big the bombs are, but 6 is quite a lot it seems to me.

Pall Mall + Leeds Road (sic)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-35812691
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:49:50 pm by John C »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Liverpool news
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 05:06:47 pm »
Starting this thread with a basic question, but maybe it can turn into a catch-all thread for Liverpool news stories...here's the question:

The Echo website has turned into a complete mess, laden with auto-loading videos, surveys, ads everywhere, it's hard work to navigate. Are there any alternative sites people use for local news?

I know it's not the most positive aspect of the city but I do like to follow the criminal goings-on, that fella getting sprung from prison the other day was an interesting one. Here's a link to the disastrous Echo for those not familiar with the story:  http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/shaun-walmsley-find-you-say-12642000

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Re: Liverpool news
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 07:25:17 pm »
I usually stick with the BBC site mate...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/merseyside

Skyscrapercity has a thread that discusses the issues raised by Liverpool news stories, which is usually worth a visit

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=400523&page=570

..you're spot on about the Echo btw....an absolute fuckin abomination of a website....literally one of the worst on the Internet....it regularly crashes every platform Ive tried it with .....full of popup ads, videos, re-directs.and just shite gossip and clickbait....and the comments section....deary me...makes me shake my head in disbelief that I share a city with so many backward, illiterate fuckin troglodytes
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 07:29:28 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/merseyside

Skyscrapercity has a thread that discusses the issues raised by Liverpool news stories, which is usually worth a visit

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=400523&page=570

..you're spot on about the Echo btw....an absolute fuckin abomination of a website....literally one of the worst on the Internet....it regularly crashes every platform Ive tried it with .....full of popup ads, videos, re-directs.and just shite gossip and clickbait....and the comments section....deary me...makes me shake my head in disbelief that I share a city with so many backward, illiterate fuckin troglodytes

I agree about the Echo website the worst by far for crashing. The comments section makes the DM comments section look like a meeting of a human rights support group for refugees.

A dreadful site.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 10:21:33 pm »
The echo website is awful, its usually publish an article then the next day publish it again but include comments from people reacting to it.

Not to mention all the celebrity garbage and nonsense articles they continually publicise.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 10:24:00 pm »
Cheers for the replies - I really relied on the Echo site to get the news from home, God knows what they were thinking with their 'upgrades' - ads I can deal with but they have made it unusable.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 12:46:20 pm »

In a nutshell.

Any time I have cause to go on the echo website, I either can't get off it quick enough, or give up and bin it in frustration, as I wait for the page to load with umpteen adverts, video's or other shit.

These days, I just avoid it.

As for the BBC.  Generally when I get up in the morning, I check the BBC news on my phone, to see what's going on in the world..... then I check out the BBC local news for Liverpool.   What a pile of crap.   Does anyone ever update it, as 80-90% of the stories are days old.   
1 day, 2 days, 3 days..... 

You're lucky if two or three items are from within the last 12 hours.   ::)

Speaking of the echo, the hard copy paper is going down hill fast as well.

The sheer amount of typo's, wrong information, poor grammar,  even misspelt headlines, is shocking.

You can definitely tell it's typeset by someone who's first language isn't English, as apparently, I'm led to believe, these days it's typeset in India..... and it shows.

Jesus. Employ a proof reader will you, before it goes to print.  :o
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:48:02 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 01:28:46 pm »
The Echo site was terrible when i had an iphone,my mrs had the same trouble on her fone too.
Since changing to Samsung the Echo loads ok for me now altho yep there is a lot of shite on it.

Another you could use is..

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/topic/liverpool/
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 01:42:25 pm »
Echo site is awful, videos on almost every article which take an age to load, now a banner pops up urging you to switch off adblock, i use addblock due to the intrusive adds which make the site unusable, been reading an article & 11 adds have been blocked, then they wonder why some use addblock programs. :butt
#Sausages

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 02:26:08 pm »
The Echo seems to be mainly about burger restaurants and secret bars these days.

Liverpool Echo RIP, YNWA.

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 03:17:10 pm »
I downloaded the app last week and I find it ok. I like keeping up to date on the local news and I have the updates so I can be sat at work and get an update telling me a tree has crushed a car in Huyton like I got before.

Some of the celebrity stuff is a bit desperate though. Constant updates on Jamie O'Hara's love life cos his ex is Danielle Lloyd. News of Charles Bronson getting engaged because he used to live in Ellesmore Port and the updates on Stephanie Davis' kids paternity is awful.

Oh, and James Pearce's face annoys me
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 06:42:07 pm »
I downloaded the app last week and I find it ok. I like keeping up to date on the local news and I have the updates so I can be sat at work and get an update telling me a tree has crushed a car in Huyton like I got before.

Some of the celebrity stuff is a bit desperate though. Constant updates on Jamie O'Hara's love life cos his ex is Danielle Lloyd. News of Charles Bronson getting engaged because he used to live in Ellesmore Port and the updates on Stephanie Davis' kids paternity is awful.

Oh, and James Pearce's face annoys me

Maybe I'll try it on my phone then. Yeah no interest in the 'celebrity' nonsense but for better or worse, it seems like it is the only real source for Liverpool news. Like Richie said the BBC site gets updated once in a blue moon.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 06:57:10 pm »
The BBC site has a live ticker type thing, which is ok for days like today, info about fallen trees/road closures etc. Stupidly its only Monday-Friday afaik!

Usually just listen to local radio, get all the local news.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #13 on: March 1, 2017, 11:14:10 am »
The Echo site has been reporting the collapsed wall with rail disruption in & out of Lime Street ever since it started last night, where as the BBC reported the disruption on there site around 6am this morning, & apparently the Travel News on BBC Radio 2 reported the wall collapse as being at London Liverpool Street, had the wall collapse been on one of the London rail lines the BBC would have been over it like shit on fly paper ever since the disruption started. :butt
#Sausages

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #14 on: March 1, 2017, 01:53:25 pm »
radio 2 corrected the error apparently within a few minute. Echo did a good job on this one, but I wish they would fuck right off with the banner ads and embedded autoplay videos
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 1, 2017, 01:58:02 pm »
The Echo site has been reporting the collapsed wall with rail disruption in & out of Lime Street ever since it started last night, where as the BBC reported the disruption on there site around 6am this morning, & apparently the Travel News on BBC Radio 2 reported the wall collapse as being at London Liverpool Street, had the wall collapse been on one of the London rail lines the BBC would have been over it like shit on fly paper ever since the disruption started. :butt

The bbc updates stop at 6pm. Wish they had at least an 'emergency' team on, someone could post on various feeds if something big happened.

I was on one of the trains that was stuck just outside Lime Street last night, took over two hours to be allowed out and walked the 200 meters back to Edge Hill.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 1, 2017, 02:04:18 pm »
Somebody I know who works at the Williamson Tunnels posted this:

Lime Street Station closure
The collapsed wall that has caused the closure of Lime Street Station happened on Smithdown Lane, on the north side of the railway cutting. The cause of the collapsed wall appears to be the tons of rubbish and rubble dumped behind the wall over 10 years ago by the landowner.

ironically enough, the front page of today's Echo leads with the threat of Lime Street chaos due to a potential strike over driver-only trains...
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #17 on: March 1, 2017, 02:12:07 pm »
Somebody I know who works at the Williamson Tunnels posted this:

Lime Street Station closure
The collapsed wall that has caused the closure of Lime Street Station happened on Smithdown Lane, on the north side of the railway cutting. The cause of the collapsed wall appears to be the tons of rubbish and rubble dumped behind the wall over 10 years ago by the landowner.

You would expect then that the rail companies would be aware and should have acted if it is 10 years. hope the landowner is insured as well.

ironically enough, the front page of today's Echo leads with the threat of Lime Street chaos due to a potential strike over driver-only trains...
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 1, 2017, 07:39:22 pm »
If he's been dumping shit down a hole it might not have been visible to pull him up on it or take action.  Hard to be sure whether it's just a one off dump or whether he was filling it constantly and just stopped ten years go when it was full.

Friend of mine is supposed to be coming up for a birthday party on friday.  Hope it's all cleared up by then.  :o

EDIT: the Network Rail statement is not encouraging.

No trains will be running in or out of Liverpool Lime Street for several days due to a trackside wall collapse on the approach to the station.

Train customers are advised to check before they travel at Nationalrail.co.uk for the latest information and with train operators.

Five large containers, each holding many tonnes of material, have been stacked by a third party on elevated land beside the collapsed section of wall.

With part of this land having given way, these containers need removing to make the cutting safe and prevent further slips.

Only then can we get safe access to the tracks below and develop a plan for the clear-up and repairs

Looks like they have to empty and or move the containers before they can even get down there.  Even if, by some miracle, they can have trains up and running by Friday I imagine the services will be prone to severe disruption and speed restrictions.

Can't they terminate some services at Edge Hill and get a bus service into the city centre?  Cancelling ALL services seems a bit draconian.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2017, 07:43:24 pm by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 1, 2017, 09:39:31 pm »
Is he coming from London? The London trains terminate at Runcorn, there's rail replacement buses to Lime Street from there. He'll make it, but it might take a bit longer.

Most other train lines go to South Parkway and connect to Merseyrail for going into town.

Northern running massively reduced services and a few replacement buses - deffo check the website before going anywhere!

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 1, 2017, 09:46:10 pm »
Easy to spot a Trinity Mirror website template. Absolute abominations.

On the football side of things, Kristian is by some distance the best LFC writer on there; James Pearce has got a bit too tabloid in recent times, for me.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 1, 2017, 10:15:29 pm »
Is he coming from London? The London trains terminate at Runcorn, there's rail replacement buses to Lime Street from there. He'll make it, but it might take a bit longer.

Most other train lines go to South Parkway and connect to Merseyrail for going into town.

Northern running massively reduced services and a few replacement buses - deffo check the website before going anywhere!

They're coming from Brighton, presumably via London.  I have no idea if they booked tickets already.  I suggested they go via Manchester but I don't know what provisions are in place for trains or replacement buses.

Popcorn's Art

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 2, 2017, 07:21:48 am »
They're coming from Brighton, presumably via London.  I have no idea if they booked tickets already.  I suggested they go via Manchester but I don't know what provisions are in place for trains or replacement buses.

There's no advantage of going via Manchester, the trains will still not run to Lime St, and you add 45 minutes and an extra ticket on to the journey. Going to Runcorn and getting a (free, if their tickets are for Liverpool) rail replacement bus will be the better option.

From Manchester the trains run to Liverpool South Parkway, and then change to Merseyrail/local bus

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 2, 2017, 06:42:46 pm »
There's no advantage of going via Manchester, the trains will still not run to Lime St, and you add 45 minutes and an extra ticket on to the journey. Going to Runcorn and getting a (free, if their tickets are for Liverpool) rail replacement bus will be the better option.

From Manchester the trains run to Liverpool South Parkway, and then change to Merseyrail/local bus

Thanks for that mate.  I will let them know. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 3, 2017, 07:11:59 pm »
letter in today's Guardian:

Following your report on the track closure at Lime Street station (2 March), I anticipate a fall in the local birth rate in nine months’ time as more people have to “get off at Edge Hill”.
Gordon Balme
Oxford

;D

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #25 on: March 3, 2017, 09:23:54 pm »

Following your report on the track closure at Lime Street station (2 March), I anticipate a fall in the local birth rate in nine months’ time as more people have to “get off at Edge Hill”.
Gordon Balme
Oxford

;D

;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 3, 2017, 09:26:32 pm »

Gordon Balme
Oxford

;D

Mate text me that earlier. ;D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #27 on: March 3, 2017, 09:41:02 pm »

Gordon Balme
Oxford

;D

Saw that on Facebook earlier, very good. ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 7, 2017, 06:41:08 pm »
Lime street re-opens tomorrow, one day earlier than predicted.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 7, 2017, 07:14:12 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-39182913

This story made me chuckle, the thought of the passengers vaporising...'How was your commute today?'...'Ah, sound, apart from the bit where my constituent atoms spontaneously fell apart somewhere around Warrington'
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 7, 2017, 08:11:31 pm »

This story made me chuckle, the thought of the passengers vaporising...'How was your commute today?'...'Ah, sound, apart from the bit where my constituent atoms spontaneously fell apart somewhere around Warrington'

I honestly can't believe the Echo made this piece of pap front page news.  :lmao

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 7, 2017, 08:16:23 pm »

That fella is talking utter shite - a top fuel dragster does the 1/4 mile in 3.7 secs, hitting 335 MPH, they do 0-60 in .8 of a second and 280mph in 600ft, a driver is yet to be vapourised on a run.

You wouldn't accelerate the train that fast, a passenger jet hits between 160-170 mph when taking off and the G's when they start the run aren't uncomfortable and land at about 160mph and again the G's aren't that bad (except for Monarch who slam the brakes on), so its doable. The Japanese have had a maglev up to 375mph already.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 7, 2017, 08:31:25 pm »
That fella is talking utter shite - a top fuel dragster does the 1/4 mile in 3.7 secs, hitting 335 MPH, they do 0-60 in .8 of a second and 280mph in 600ft, a driver is yet to be vapourised on a run.

You wouldn't accelerate the train that fast, a passenger jet hits between 160-170 mph when taking off and the G's when they start the run aren't uncomfortable and land at about 160mph and again the G's aren't that bad (except for Monarch who slam the brakes on), so its doable. The Japanese have had a maglev up to 375mph already.

Oh I wasn't laughing at the technology.  But surely there has to be a business case to justify a £3bn investment for a Liverpool maglev link?  For example, you wouldn't start tunnelling at Liverpool and end up at Hull; you'd likely start in the middle of the country and move outwards in both directions, connecting Liverpool last. 

There just isn't a need to get from Liverpool to Manchester in seven minutes, even if it can be done.

Popcorn's Art

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 7, 2017, 08:51:44 pm »

There just isn't a need to get from Liverpool to Manchester in seven minutes, even if it can be done.

Talk for yourself. :P

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 7, 2017, 09:01:09 pm »

Can take me an hour to get to the ground midweek and an hour to get home after any match (joys of the M60 and M62), be great to be able to do it in 7 minutes.  :D

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 7, 2017, 09:43:21 pm »
I'd love to be able to do it as well!  Not sure the three of us can justify the cost though.  ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2017, 09:58:35 pm »
Don't forget Merseyrail are on strike on Monday. Think when I looked on Friday they'll be attempting to run a service between 7am and 7pm with trains every half an hour.

Think I'll be sticking to the bus on Monday.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2017, 12:45:54 am »
Don't forget Merseyrail are on strike on Monday. Think when I looked on Friday they'll be attempting to run a service between 7am and 7pm with trains every half an hour.

Think I'll be sticking to the bus on Monday.

Planned strike timetables & don't hope for any connections if you need to travel before 7am or after 7pm http://www.merseyrail.org/strike-action/strike-timetables.aspx
#Sausages

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 12:26:34 pm »
Not news, but I came across this interesting piece about Liverpool and why we are different to the rest of England

Paddy Hoey

Not English, But Scouse

http://thepensivequill.am/2016/09/not-english-but-scouse.html

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2017, 12:49:14 pm »
Not news, but I came across this interesting piece about Liverpool and why we are different to the rest of England

Paddy Hoey

Not English, But Scouse

http://thepensivequill.am/2016/09/not-english-but-scouse.html

Cheers for that mate.

John Belchem and his work here both really are top drawer.
His book Liverpool  800 is probably the most concise publication you will get regarding Liverpool & our history.
Known him a long time too..he even signed a copy for me!  :D

If you haven't got the book..get it,quite simply outstanding.