Author Topic: Rock climbing  (Read 10795 times)

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
Re: Rock climbing
« Reply #40 on: April 5, 2015, 08:54:28 am »
Sounds cracking. Enjoy it. I have a two night wild camp with my daughter planned next week, so may not get back on the rock for a few weeks!

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #41 on: October 4, 2017, 08:55:24 pm »
Any boulderers out there ?

45 yr old beginner since February , plateauing around the grade 5s , tips welcome
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #42 on: October 4, 2017, 08:58:19 pm »

45 yr old beginner since February , plateauing around the grade 5s , tips welcome

Bouldering is all about explosive upper body strength and working your core. It's usually not about long climbs. Work on crimps and train in a bouldering cave if you can. Warm up a lot before. Do a circuit of bouldering moves around the gym, don't go up just sideways. Repeat.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 4, 2017, 09:03:02 pm »
Bouldering is all about explosive upper body strength and working your core. It's usually not about long climbs. Work on crimps and train in a bouldering cave if you can. Warm up a lot before. Do a circuit of bouldering moves around the gym, don't go up just sideways. Repeat.

That was quick !

Thanks mate😀
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 4, 2017, 09:06:27 pm »
That was quick !

Thanks mate😀

No problem mate :wave

Happy climbing.

Also find a problem in the gym that tests you but is not so far out of your limit, work towards completing that problem. Also don't get too frustrated if you can't do it quickly, progress tends to be slow in climbing, unless you're a natural athlete. You'll definitely hit some peaks and plateau for awhile and then up a grade here and there.

Also consciously use your feet, one of the biggest things for new people is to concentrate on using mostly their arms (girls aside as they naturally use all their body) so use your feet for placement and pivot.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2017, 09:09:03 pm by Chakan »

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: October 5, 2017, 06:30:45 am »

Have you purchased an age-inappropriate beanie as yet? That helped me immeasurably, notably in looking less of a numpty by bouldering in my Tracksters and Helly t shirt  ;)

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #46 on: October 5, 2017, 10:50:11 am »
http://www.roktface.co.uk/

Just down the road from me if there any climbers in the West Yorkshire area. 

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 5, 2017, 11:29:12 pm »
No problem mate :wave

Happy climbing.

Also find a problem in the gym that tests you but is not so far out of your limit, work towards completing that problem. Also don't get too frustrated if you can't do it quickly, progress tends to be slow in climbing, unless you're a natural athlete. You'll definitely hit some peaks and plateau for awhile and then up a grade here and there.

Also consciously use your feet, one of the biggest things for new people is to concentrate on using mostly their arms (girls aside as they naturally use all their body) so use your feet for placement and pivot.

👍

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 5, 2017, 11:32:15 pm »
Have you purchased an age-inappropriate beanie as yet? That helped me immeasurably, notably in looking less of a numpty by bouldering in my Tracksters and Helly t shirt  ;)

😀

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 6, 2017, 10:20:52 pm »

Ah the "dark side" of climbing! Could never get into bouldering myself, but it is very good for strength and technique training. 
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: October 6, 2017, 10:22:50 pm »

Probably the best single piece of advice you could give to a beginner. I often put it like this "how do you get upstairs?"
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 6, 2017, 10:25:35 pm »
Have you purchased an age-inappropriate beanie as yet?

Plus absolutely huge chalk bag bucket, toothbrush for hold cleaning (boulderers use far too much chalk), also you must climb topless.

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 7, 2017, 07:23:35 am »
Plus absolutely huge chalk bag bucket, toothbrush for hold cleaning (boulderers use far too much chalk), also you must climb topless.

I last climbed topless in Yosemite in 1989. I wouldn't wish to inflict my 50 year old physique on anyone, hence a propensity for wearing hessian-like  clothing.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: October 8, 2017, 01:35:39 am »

i'll need to lose the rubber ring before I do that

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2017, 02:16:15 pm »
Climbed this last Saturday

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2017, 05:11:59 pm »

Wreckers Slab? Awesome route.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:16:11 pm by Stevie-A »

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2017, 05:22:38 pm »
Wreckers Slab? Awesome route.

Yes Wreckers Slab. I've done 5 times now.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2017, 06:04:13 pm »

Too high for me. Does the route go all the way to the top?

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2017, 06:13:57 pm »
Too high for me. Does the route go all the way to the top?

All the way!

It's 120 metres, 3 pitches.

Done in traditional style, no pre-placed bolts, but there are some slightly suspect pegs.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:15:50 pm by Sudden Death Draft Loser »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2017, 06:14:57 pm »
All the way!

It's 120 metres, 3 pitches.

Yup far too high for me!

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2018, 03:30:02 pm »
About to get into some indoor rock climbing - maybe looking at outdoor in the future. Any tips?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2018, 03:33:51 pm »
About to get into some indoor rock climbing - maybe looking at outdoor in the future. Any tips?

Use your feet, concentrate on this part. Don't try use all your upper body strength.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2018, 03:39:00 pm »
Use your feet, concentrate on this part. Don't try use all your upper body strength.
Cheers mate!

Hoping to use it as an alternative to the gym. Fed up of lifting weights and such. Assuming it's very good for core strength/stamina and building a bit of muscle?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2018, 03:43:51 pm »
Cheers mate!

Hoping to use it as an alternative to the gym. Fed up of lifting weights and such. Assuming it's very good for core strength/stamina and building a bit of muscle?

Core strength and stamina definitely, build muscle depends on what type of muscle you want, but yeah it can be very good for that. Also remember to breathe a lot.

Also don't try to do too much too quickly, you'll pump your muscles full of lactic acid and be dead tired.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 03:53:30 pm by Chakan »

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2018, 03:55:15 pm »

This.

Climbing is more about technique than strength, although strength is also important.

Also don't try to do too much too quickly, you'll pump your muscles full of lactic acid and be dead tired.

The way to avoid/reduce "the pump" is to keep your arms straight where possible. This can be achieved with bent knees and keeping your core close to the wall. 

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2018, 04:12:10 pm »
Maybe too much technique advice at once, however, it isn't always best to climb face on to the wall, sometimes side on works better.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2018, 04:14:11 pm »
Maybe too much technique advice at once, however, it isn't always best to climb face on to the wall, sometimes side on works better.

Yeah probably a bit lol

Although it's always good to find someone who can show you real time what are good techniques to pick up right at the beginning.

Always have fun with it though, it's a great work out and you'll start using muscles you've never had to tweak before.

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2018, 08:00:45 am »
Having performed miserably again at last night's bouldering session, can I heartily advise the maintenance of good finger strength as a key performance fitness component. The key component is very much to enjoy it. It's a great activity, and can change your focus with every session. Once you get outdoors it will take on a whole new dimension. Enjoy.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2018, 12:47:51 pm »
Just adding one more thing to the list, warm up thoroughly before jumping on the wall, stretch all your muscles and fingers. It's surprisingly easy to pop a tendon.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2018, 05:41:32 pm »
Addicted. Honest to God, I've never had such a free mind when I'm climbing. It's just me vs the wall. Love it.

My technique is definitely in need of help, though. Is it best to get a course, or simply to look online?

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2018, 06:19:26 pm »
Addicted. Honest to God, I've never had such a free mind when I'm climbing. It's just me vs the wall. Love it.

My technique is definitely in need of help, though. Is it best to get a course, or simply to look online?

This is the great thing about climbing, all thoughts beyond working out how to make the next move disappear, it puts you totally in the moment, even more so when outdoor climbing.

Re technique, either find someone at the climbing wall who is very good and ask for advice, or book some lessons with a climbing coach (there is usually one at most climbing walls).

Enjoy

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: December 2, 2021, 10:34:06 am »
Considering getting into outdoor bouldering, been climbing indoors for a few years now. Think the local places near me are Pex Hill and Helsby and then the Peaks and Snowdonia slightly further afield.

Any tips for brands or type of bouldering mat I should buy?

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 3, 2021, 12:09:55 pm »
Considering getting into outdoor bouldering, been climbing indoors for a few years now. Think the local places near me are Pex Hill and Helsby and then the Peaks and Snowdonia slightly further afield.

Good to read about someone making the move to outdoor climbing.

Can't make any recommendations as I'm not a boulderer.

Maybe worth joining https://www.ukclimbing.com/ and asking there

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: December 3, 2021, 12:28:25 pm »

I always loved my Mad Rock bouldering pad, never went wrong with it.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #74 on: December 3, 2021, 01:19:02 pm »

These guys and gals run a good youtube channel 'EpicTV Climbing Daily', based out of Chamonix, so lucky. They have a link for gear in this vid. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL8cGmiqRME

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: January 6, 2022, 05:27:51 pm »
Just realised I forgot to say thanks for tips, ended up getting an Organic pad. Not tried it out yet as I had a slight finger issue I was resting, looking forward to it but looks too wet this weekend.