Author Topic: Play Football  (Read 44622 times)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Re: Play Football
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 10:25:47 pm »
Just back from my game. Got on the scoresheet tonight, a shot from distance that was so weak the keeper couldn't quite believe it, and fluffed the save. They all count...

Also picked up a tidy little hamstring strain. Lovely.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 11:27:31 pm »
My game was shite, it consisted of twats trying to rattle the net from 30 yards all the time instead of actually trying something that looks respectable. It really is head wrecking when you try to get a bit of passing going only for some fella to lamp it.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 12:05:03 am »
Shame. Mine is a decent standard, they all pass the ball. Mind you, it's indoor. They'd want to.

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 09:17:53 am »
I'm playing tonight, its cold and lashing out. Still looking forward to it.

Lucky you! My team has been officialy ejected from the Leinster Senior League so im on the hunt for a new team, free agent now haha

Offline JayH93

• Legacy Fan
  • ANLACKY
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 11:59:07 am »
I play on Wednesday nights, 7 aside with the lads and have a boss kickabout, everyone plays the simple pass instead of just twatting it whatever way they're facing. Except one lad...

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #45 on: February 3, 2014, 01:14:50 pm »
Sometime to aspire to gentlemen,  I do this every night by the way.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2pT67eYuhDE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2pT67eYuhDE</a>

Offline Juneau

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2014, 08:18:35 pm »
That's a belter of a goal!

I'm playing my first season of Men's Sunday league. Playing at CB, a position I've never played before. I'm doing well but I cannot play the offside trap to save my life, so I try to play sweeper to get around it. I used to play in midfield so I miss getting forward, I think I've had one shot all season! Luckily that turned out to be an assist haha.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2014, 03:56:20 pm »
Played indoor football for the first time in ages last night and had an absolute shocker.  I've been playing on 3G for the past couple of years and suddenly switching to that indoor surface and ball gave me a touch like Djimi Traore in a snow storm.  It was horrible, I just couldn't do anything with the ball - it would just be bobbling about all over the place.  The guys I was playing with were sympathetic, obviously thinking I've never played footy before in my life.  An utter disaster.

Cannot WAIT to get back on an outdoor pitch and set the record straight.  I'm blaming the squash trainers I was wearing.  That must be it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2014, 10:36:54 am »
playing indoor astro wednesdays and saturdays

enjoying it for now.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Nice Guy Davey

• Official Orange Wednesday supplier to JerseyKopite
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Can you imagine Doobiein your funk ?
« Reply #49 on: March 9, 2014, 09:01:55 pm »
I play 5/6- a- side three times a week and absolutely love it. I've played since I was 9 and have just turned 58 now. Look forward to every game. Anyone reading this who has given up or can't be arsed to go out and get a game should think again.
Nunquam Solitari Ambulabitis

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #50 on: March 9, 2014, 09:51:42 pm »
I got quite mesmerised the other night playing. Not sure why but at one point I had the strong sensation of being in a live ballet, where everyone's movement depended on every else's movement. Pace, direction, pivot, outstretch, all these movements choreographed according to what the next person does, all these angles being calculated on the move. It really is a fascinating thing.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #51 on: March 9, 2014, 10:35:44 pm »
Playing twice a week on an indoor 3G pitch. Its fucking great considering I was practically disabled for about 6 years!

The old touch is slowly returning too. Will probably have a go with a Saturday/Sunday morning league side or one of the astro league sides.

I always come home to a hot bath and I usually sit with a shit eating grin for half an hour thinking about how I surprised myself with a good pass/tackle/dribble/goal.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #52 on: March 9, 2014, 10:40:30 pm »
Playing twice a week on an indoor 3G pitch. Its fucking great considering I was practically disabled for about 6 years!

I remember you saying that, you were fucked. Glad to hear you're better.

Wtf is a 3G pitch?

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #53 on: March 9, 2014, 10:41:56 pm »
I always come home to a hot bath and I usually sit with a shit eating grin for half an hour thinking about how I surprised myself with a good pass/tackle/dribble/goal.
That's what its all about I reckon

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 9, 2014, 11:06:19 pm »
I remember you saying that, you were fucked. Glad to hear you're better.

Wtf is a 3G pitch?

Cheers Corky.

3G pitch is just an astro....only its a lot more like proper grass than a normal carpet-type of astro.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 9, 2014, 11:09:04 pm »

@rednich85

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2014, 10:04:49 pm »
3G pitch is just an astro....only its a lot more like proper grass than a normal carpet-type of astro.

Well, tonight, as my granny used to say. My local GAA hall, on whose springy but hard floorboards I have been playing, has just gone 3G. Nice surface and nice to play with a regular ball rather than those oversized tennis balls.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2014, 03:46:55 pm »
just got back into playing

i use to play on an awesome team that was half brits in my town in Virginia and half americans. Easily the high point of my life over here, just an awesome group.

That group has either aged out or left town and Im now down to playing pick up on Thursday nights with a massively hispanic majority crowd who are mostly half my age.

Mostly decent guys but it is weird to feel like a foreigner when I had stopped feeling like a foreigner here.

the closest team I would be a bit more comfortable in is 55 miles away each way which is a bit of a drag to drive myself just for football once a week

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2014, 03:55:08 pm »
Crackerjack

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zVDFklZMkVA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zVDFklZMkVA</a>

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2014, 04:01:45 pm »
i dont know what people feel about it but i much prefer a kick about 5 a side every week to playing for teams

playing for teams i just got treated like shit and given out to when i sneezed, in general it just ruined my week at times if we lost

atleast 5 a side its pretty much forgotten about, no damage done, no league etc

i realize in leagues things are more competitive but some of the shite i listened to over the years completely put me off joining and staying in teams. plus the usual shite of busting your hole to get to training and then your dropped behind someone who doesnt go because they are too cold or too tired

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2014, 08:45:02 pm »
Started playing 5s/7s  three times a week now, and ive shocked myself always thought I was a number 10, good ball control and could finish etc but played against a proper team and got moved back defence and ive  played their ever since. Really enjoying playing these days as a cb and even got my first proper injury at the back with a broken nose !

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2014, 11:14:41 pm »
played 3 times this week.. definitely getting back into the swing of things

won 22-17 today,  only the 14 goals for myself

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2014, 05:51:51 pm »
Crackerjack

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zVDFklZMkVA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zVDFklZMkVA</a>

was this you ???

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2014, 06:14:40 pm »
was this you ???
How dare you sir!

No one lets me take free kicks.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2014, 12:43:46 pm »
How dare you sir!

No one lets me take free kicks.
I had the burden of all set pieces for my Uni last season. Everyone else was poor but reckoned they were Ronaldo and would tussle for the ball. Pathetic. Would get moans and groans if I didn't deliver it perfectly either. Still scored direct from a few corners, six free kicks too. Even took the goal kicks! Miss it, but don't miss the pressure and the intensity of it. Considering it was only a University team and not even semi-pro standard, they all seemed to want to act like they were professionals.

Definitely fancy a good level Sunday League though. Played for my mates side under an assumed name the other night and bossed it, got asked not to play again by the manager as my performance was 'highly suspicious'  ;D Enjoyed it so much though.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2014, 03:30:46 am »
First preseason game this weekend, ironically it's against my old team, if I don't bang in at least a Hat-trick and celebrate with a few cartwheels  and a Klinsmann dive I'll be disappointed 

royhendo

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2014, 01:24:45 pm »
Never saw this thread until now. I play - love it love it love it - and I'm trying to up the number of times I play each week, ideally to three. The way I figure, I might only have ten more years left to play football, so I want to squeeze the maximum juice out of those years and then anything after that's a bonus. Quite a healthy manifestation of your common-or-garden mid life crisis really.

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2014, 03:47:38 pm »
Never saw this thread until now. I play - love it love it love it - and I'm trying to up the number of times I play each week, ideally to three. The way I figure, I might only have ten more years left to play football, so I want to squeeze the maximum juice out of those years and then anything after that's a bonus. Quite a healthy manifestation of your common-or-garden mid life crisis really.

https://www.facebook.com/WalkingFootball?fref=ts

that's the league you join after 10 years, these guys play beside my work and its amazing some of them are in their 80s and still love the game great way to to get out and about at that age

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2014, 11:10:18 pm »
So I had a good football playing day today.

I've been playing six a side at a reasonable level (against the local club 16 year olds and assorted adults) but I played my first 11 a side in a year or so today. It was a work thing but a pretty good level. We had some experienced club players and one former semi pro, they had an equal sprinkling of talent and no duds. Anyway, I'm a 44 year old smoker and many of these guys were late 20s early 30s so this was a challenge and I did pretty well. I was shunted from right side of a back three to right full and finally centre half in a four. Got burned once or twice by someone much younger and much faster but overall got the ball down, intercepted, saw space, completed most passes sort of thing. We won 2 1 in extra time and then all went out for pints and trophy giving afterwards. I am very pleased with myself. I presume I will ache tomorrow.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2014, 12:06:39 pm »
I fucking love playing football but can't find a team for love nor money.

In Uni I ran a team (11s), in Law School I ran a team (7s) and when I lived in Leeds I played in a bottom division Sunday League team.

Moved to York halfway through last season, joined up with a mid-league Saturday team to keep my touch up, seemed like an OK bunch of lads.

Pre-Season comes round, don't hear fuck all about it, so I go for a kick about with the only other team I can find around me, Division One Saturday team and they're way too good and too fit for me. Nice enough lads but just totally demoralising.

I just want a Sunday League team or a 5s/7s but I don't have a local pub and noone at work plays so a 5s/7s is out.

Anyone in York any suggestions?
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2014, 10:59:06 pm »
^ try websites like http://www.wanttoplayfootball.co.uk/ & http://www.playerwanted.co.uk/ mate.

Also gumtree, craiglist, the Bargain Pages paper, your local free newspaper, Express & Star or Evening Mail papers, local league websites and team sites (including their facebook and twitter pages - all should have adverts for teams requiring players soon.

If there's a local Powerleague or Goals type place near you check the notice boards at the centres and their online websites. Our local Co-op and Post Office have community boards with a couple of 'teams require players' - amongst the 'free cat to good home' adverts :)

A simple google search '11-a-side football team require players in ?' got me and a few mates into playing for an over 35's football team for this season - all from a gumtree entry and lucky enough it's all worked out.

Hope you get sorted soon mate.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:58:54 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2014, 10:45:15 am »
I was in a similar position, got training with a team at a good level but all of a sudden they just stopped getting in touch which was a shame as they were a good bunch for the most part.  I found my local FA's site and emailed the club secretary who put me in touch with my local club with about 10 minutes.  Been to one training so far and it was great.  It's the same team I joined a couple of years back but couldn't even get a shirt most games so left.  Now they've got a reserve team and do training session (which they didn't before) which means I get a chance to show how good I am.  Not too bothered if I play much at weekends although I suspect now they have two teams I'll get a chance, just training for 90 minutes every week is enough for me.

I also try to arrange football with lads I went to school with every week, we've got a net we'll put up at a local park and we'll do World Cup and head's and v's, can be there for anywhere from 2 hours to 4.  Always a good work out and a laugh. 

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2014, 11:15:42 am »
I actually played a match in crusaders ground in northern Ireland.  Lads around my level. Won 2-0 and did well. Cleared the ball off the line twice. Once was after running back about 70 yards. The other from the resulting corner.

Fitness wise was a struggle in second half. The heat didn't help but by the end i felt i could have played on.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2014, 12:44:21 pm »
Was looking forward to playing the first pre-season friendly for the my new over 35's team on Sunday - and then it bloody rained the night before - a lot. Game got called off to 'protect the pitch' just as we're all rolling up to the away ground - so a tactical re-think got us to the pub to discuss tactics and gameplans for the coming season. Sadly I can't remember too much of it at all - but like watching the game vs Dortmund on tv I'm sure it went well...

Bring on next week's game/pub!
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2014, 10:19:51 pm »
Home at half time tonight for me. I was a little late into a block and got kicked on the follow through. I shook it off but my shin/calf was starting to bruise up pretty bad (no shin pads), getting towards egg size proportions. Then I blocked a shot literally with the bruise. It was painful. At this point, I got sensible and decided a couple of more blocks or kicks and the contents of that egg would be all over the pitch so I called it a day.

Now I'm icing it and it's gone down quite a bit which is sort of disappointing as I wanted to have a decent purpler to show off to my kid.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2014, 08:43:37 am »
Home at half time tonight for me. I was a little late into a block and got kicked on the follow through. I shook it off but my shin/calf was starting to bruise up pretty bad (no shin pads), getting towards egg size proportions. Then I blocked a shot literally with the bruise. It was painful. At this point, I got sensible and decided a couple of more blocks or kicks and the contents of that egg would be all over the pitch so I called it a day.

Now I'm icing it and it's gone down quite a bit which is sort of disappointing as I wanted to have a decent purpler to show off to my kid.
it might after a day or two

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2014, 08:47:57 am »
has anyone ever played on a team that never used a banger?

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2014, 09:05:07 am »
has anyone ever played on a team that never used a banger?

what's a banger?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2014, 09:22:55 am »
what's a banger?
its probably called something different in england/uk (a ringer maybe)

but its when you play someone whos not signed/ or is suspended under someone elses name

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2014, 10:08:35 am »
Moved to Liverpool now, in the Wavertree area. Really want to get back into it, anyone know where I can get involved?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks