Author Topic: Demon's Souls  (Read 16419 times)

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Demon's Souls
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2010, 05:25:47 am »
Damn you Maneater. Did teh Fog exploit to take the first one down, got the second down to 1/3 health, then he smashed me to the floor and killed me before I could get up. Wasted about 200 arrows, and 15 minutes taking the first one out

hardest boss in the game, there's no easy strategy like most other demons so kill the first one with arrows through the fog gate then run through and try and keep the brazier thing in the middle between you and the 2nd one, best weapons are a big shield and a spear as you can kind of hit it through the brazier, also if you've learned it use firestorm (give dragon god's soul to yuria) as you can take it down with 2 or 3 hits, poison cloud comes in handy as well as it'll chip away at it's health
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:30:32 am by FiSh77 »

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2010, 01:28:01 pm »
It was annoying as I'd wasted so much time and money with the arrows, then I was battering the second one with the Soul Arrow, and normal arrows when it was flying away, but then one lapse in concentration and its flattened you or smashed you off the platform

Offline Vercatron

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2010, 12:16:23 am »
The fact that it's suppose to be insanely hard puts me off!  :butt  :'(

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2010, 05:25:48 am »
it's not that hard, i've nearly got the platinum trophy which'll be my first yet i've played over 20 other games and apart from red dead redemption have not got anywhere near one

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2010, 12:49:35 am »
Whats happened to this game?  Went to town, was thinking about buying it, prob won't for the time being anyway but can't seem to find it.  Went on play.com and they don't sell it anymore apart from private sellers who're putting it up for £199....

They made it illegal or something?
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2010, 01:46:30 am »
Whats happened to this game?  Went to town, was thinking about buying it, prob won't for the time being anyway but can't seem to find it.  Went on play.com and they don't sell it anymore apart from private sellers who're putting it up for £199....

They made it illegal or something?

i think the black phantom edition which was released last month was limited, the standard version is released in a couple of weeks and is under £30 on shopto.net

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2010, 02:29:17 am »
The Old Monk is the bestjoint best boss battle I've ever played. I was absolutely shitting myselfm he was battering me when I ried to melee him, and I was running out of Spices, it was like a game in itself. I'd attack, and we'd both end up on half health, he'd magic me with me rolling and desperately trying to keep my stamina up. I'd lure him into the three-hit combo, sprint away half way through and heal up. He'd heal at the same time, having seen me heal up. Rinse and repeat until he neglects his health bar and ranged attacks for a couple of vital seconds, I restore my MP and just spam the fuck out of Soul Ray until he falls.

If only all game companies could be bothered to think of such innovative ways of implementing the online features of current-gen consoles.

edit. Decided its equal with The End from MGS3 come to think of it
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:30:48 am by rowan_d »

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2010, 04:59:55 pm »
i didn't realise what was happening at first when the message came up saying i'd been invaded by a black phantom, just thought it was gonna be difficult fighting a boss demon + black phantom at the same time, anyway got my arse kicked then on 2nd attempt got the same message and the boss fight was different so realised it was selecting random black phantoms for the boss, very clever idea and makes it difficult to plan a strategy and what weapons/spells to take with you

dropped a bollock trying to get platinum, need 1 spell for the mages trophy and didn't realise i needed the armour spider's soul for it, beat it in new game+++ and consumed it instead of giving it to sage freke so now have to start new game++++ just to get it

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2010, 06:41:57 pm »
finally got the platinum trophy

hardest game on ps3 my arse :D

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #90 on: August 1, 2010, 12:31:14 am »
Beat The Penetrator in about 20 seconds. He attacked Biorr in a corner while I twatted him with Sould Arrow, only took about 8 hits.

Then went to 4-1 with a Bue Phantom who twatted the shit out of every bad guy, getting easy two hit kills. He must of had some insane endurance to block them so easily. Picked up another phantom just before the Adjudicator, but it was my first time with the boss and I fell through the crumbling floor and got smashed to death before I could get up
« Last Edit: August 1, 2010, 12:34:37 am by rowan_d »

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: August 1, 2010, 10:15:16 am »
Spoiler
easiest way to beat adjudicator is to lock onto his left side and keep stabbing him, when you hear the chirping sound you've got a couple of seconds before he swings the cleaver so either move around the back of him or if he's up against the wall roll to your left to get to the other side of the cleaver as he always swings it anti clockwise, once his head drops smash fuck out of the bird thing on top of it

just take your time as his attacks are easy to dodge, don't mash the r1 button just hit him a couple of times then wait for his attack to start
[close]
« Last Edit: August 1, 2010, 01:24:39 pm by FiSh77 »

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #92 on: August 1, 2010, 11:10:49 am »
I tried that, but the bastard hit me through a wall while I was healing. It's a bit annoying how some enemies can do that

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: August 1, 2010, 01:24:16 pm »
first couple of playthroughs i had problems beating him but have got it nailed now, beat him this morning in new game++++ without taking any damage as he's that predictable

Spoiler
you need to be able to circle round him anti clockwise, if he gets the wall on your right try and move round his other side so you're behind the cleaver then try to move him away from the wall, i use a moon winged spear +5 & purple flame shield, keep the shield raised at all times and try to stand slightly behind his left arm and stab him, once you hear the bird chirping just circle behind him or if the wall is on your right roll like fuck to the left to get to the other side of the cleaver, the most important thing is to take your time and keep an eye on your position making sure you get out of the way if he closes the gap between his left side and the wall
[close]

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #94 on: August 1, 2010, 05:52:14 pm »
Can;t use the purple flame shield just yet, I'm at 22 strength, and I'm not sure what else I need to be effective with it. I don;t dare to take on Flamelurker until I can handle it, so I'm missing out on a few unique weapons as well. Tried a bit of 1-4. Beat the 3 black phantoms in a war of attrition, looking forward to having stats which let me use the white bow and tower shield. (New Game+ maybe.) Promptly shat myself when I went into the dark little stairwell and the red knight ran at me, sprinted back to the Nexus to sell my souls. I'm thinking of completing 1-4 first, so I can get the Mausoleum key, Doran's Armour and the Demonbrandt, which should help me for the rest of the game.

Finding sharpstone and hardstone hard to come by, where's the best place to farm them?

A little hint for others. When you find the Tower Shield in the cells after using the Iron Ring of Keys, DO NOT drop a load of items to pick it up. I threw away a hefty number of my items, only to find another tower shield after killing a black phanton in 1-4.

I fucking love this game, it brings out the nerd in me ;D

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: August 1, 2010, 08:50:40 pm »
Finding sharpstone and hardstone hard to come by, where's the best place to farm them?

you can buy shards & large shards of both from the 2 filthy men in 2-1 & 2-2, if you've beaten adjudicator then go into 4-2 equipped with a bow and kill the 2 mantas near the start then the first reaper, it should only take 30-40 seconds and get you a few thousand souls to buy the stones with

there's a body near the crystal lizard nest in 2-2 with pure hardstone & sharpstone

chunks are a bastard to find, you'll get them from crystal lizards in 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-2 & 2-3 but these are limited, the only other enemies that drop them are 2-2 pickaxe miners (sharpstone) & scale miners with flamesword in 2-1 and plain scale miners in 2-2 (hardstone)

to farm them you're probably better off putting world 2 in pure black tendency, also high luck & large sword of searching help to increase the drop rate but not the quality of drops

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #96 on: August 1, 2010, 09:49:33 pm »
I think my game's glitched. My Miracle and Spell teachers, as well as Ostrava have disappeared without a trace, and Sage Freke has disappeared, leaving his items in the area he used to sit. This has happened since I freed Biorr? Ostrava I'm not too bothered about as he should be in 1-4, but who am I going to leanr spells from now?

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #97 on: August 2, 2010, 03:55:27 am »
DAMN YOU YURT YOU UTTER BASTARD.

Now what the hell am I supposed to do when I want to learn a spell? I can get Yuria to teach miracles, but I much prefer spells. I didn't even realise the wanker was killing the Nexus-dwellers until they were all dead. 'Silent' Chief indeed, this game has taught me never to trust people, even if you've saved their lives. Time to track him down like a dog I think, he will pay.

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: August 2, 2010, 10:48:41 am »
happened to me to first time through, after you free him he kills someone everytime you kill a demon, first he kills a couple of unknown's and you find their bodies and souls in the nexus, after that he starts on the NPC's in this order, freke's apprentice, patches, saint urbain, freke & then yuria

if you've not found him go up the first flight of stairs and into the room at the back, he should be in an alcove on your right, you can also find mephistopheles in here but you need pure black ct to trigger her side missions

and yuria teaches spells not miracles but they're different spells to what freke teaches you

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #99 on: August 2, 2010, 01:18:00 pm »
happened to me to first time through, after you free him he kills someone everytime you kill a demon, first he kills a couple of unknown's and you find their bodies and souls in the nexus, after that he starts on the NPC's in this order, freke's apprentice, patches, saint urbain, freke & then yuria

if you've not found him go up the first flight of stairs and into the room at the back, he should be in an alcove on your right, you can also find mephistopheles in here but you need pure black ct to trigger her side missions

and yuria teaches spells not miracles but they're different spells to what freke teaches you

Thank fuck for that. How do I disguise myself so she meets me. I assume she's in that tower in 1-3, but there's a raised platform that I have to be disguised for.

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: August 2, 2010, 02:28:28 pm »
you should have the officials cap off one of the fat guys in 1-3, think it's the one who shuts the gate at the top of the long flight of steps

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #101 on: August 2, 2010, 02:52:31 pm »
I dropped it to pick up the Tower Shield. Can I get another one anywhere?

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: August 2, 2010, 04:40:37 pm »
no, think you'll need to dupe it

if you're not sure you need someone in your soul range who has the cap and summon them into your game, they drop the cap then quit the game using the PS button so when they reload they still have it, it works in the us version but not sure about the pal version

do you have the ring of herculean strength? it comes in handy for getting out of a level with stuff which would overburden you, to get it you need the jade hair ornament which is in 1-1, go up the tower which leads to the first blue eye knight, about 3/4 of the way up go out onto a balcony and smash the 2 chains then go back down to the bottom where you should find some ragged robes and the hair ornament, go back to the nexus and keep talking to stockpile thomas until he asks you for the ornament and he'll give you the ring of herculean strength

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #103 on: August 2, 2010, 05:40:41 pm »
no, think you'll need to dupe it

if you're not sure you need someone in your soul range who has the cap and summon them into your game, they drop the cap then quit the game using the PS button so when they reload they still have it, it works in the us version but not sure about the pal version

do you have the ring of herculean strength? it comes in handy for getting out of a level with stuff which would overburden you, to get it you need the jade hair ornament which is in 1-1, go up the tower which leads to the first blue eye knight, about 3/4 of the way up go out onto a balcony and smash the 2 chains then go back down to the bottom where you should find some ragged robes and the hair ornament, go back to the nexus and keep talking to stockpile thomas until he asks you for the ornament and he'll give you the ring of herculean strength

How do you contact people to ask for the cap? Do you have to go through PSN using their name?

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: August 2, 2010, 06:16:45 pm »
yeah you can contact those who you've met online and see if they can help you out or you can go on a forum and ask for help, there's an online trading section on the wiki http://forums.demonssouls.info/viewforum.php?f=12

there's plenty of other boards if you do a search on google, just make sure you mention it's for the european version as the servers are different and your current soul level

could try here as well

« Last Edit: August 2, 2010, 06:21:03 pm by FiSh77 »

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2010, 01:05:46 pm »
So for the past few of my levels I've not been able to increase my attack power when I go to level up my strength stat, it just reads 240 > 240, what's the deal with this?

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2010, 01:56:40 pm »
Level cap?

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2010, 02:03:00 pm »
I'm only soul level 32, thought it goes upto 720

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2010, 02:03:55 pm »
what level is your strength?

edit: your equipped weapon affects attack power as well, i've just checked a level 220 character i've got & strength is 42, with no weapon equipped attack power is 101 > 102, with a moon winged spear +5 it's 342 > 343 and it changes with other weapons
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:14:19 pm by FiSh77 »

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2010, 02:15:17 pm »
I've got 18 strength and demonbrant equipped, my attack power is 240 and when i go to increase it to 19 it just says 240 > 240 so I wouldn't gain any stat?

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2010, 02:22:50 pm »
Sometimes only one part of that stat improves, and you have to wait till the next increase for that particular sta to increase. So if you're going for Strength, your Physical Defense goes up now, and your Attack Power will go up next time

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2010, 02:30:04 pm »
the attack power of demonbrant increases with your character tendancy, at pure white you get 130+130 physical and 110+110 magic, at pure black it's 0

to get your character tendancy to pure white you need to kill the named black phantoms or defeat invading black phantoms, each named black phantom increases it by 20% towards white so if you're at neutral you need to kill executioner miralda, scirvir the wanderer, lord rydell, satsuki & selen vinland to get the full attack power of demonbrandt

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2010, 11:37:28 am »
I've finally plucked up the balls to get this.  I'd say I was an average gamer and I tend to stick with FPS and sports games, although I have played RPG's in the past.  I fully expect to get my arse kicked all over the place, but I'm a bit of a masochist anyway (you have to be following our lot lately).

Offline Okkervil

• Smells... love me love my gas
  • Legacy Fan
    • Support The Retired Greyhound Trust.
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2010, 02:49:52 pm »
I've finally plucked up the balls to get this.  I'd say I was an average gamer and I tend to stick with FPS and sports games, although I have played RPG's in the past.  I fully expect to get my arse kicked all over the place, but I'm a bit of a masochist anyway (you have to be following our lot lately).
stick with it, as the first few hours of gameplay are confusing as fuck!
To make men Socialists is nothing, but to make Socialism human is a great thing. - Oscar Wilde

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: September 1, 2010, 01:29:42 pm »
I love this game, although I do struggle at times.  I've played about ten hours so far and I've just managed to find my way to 2-1's boss, that giant, fuck off, flame spitting spider bitch.  Is there a tactic that comes in handy against her ?  At the moment I can't even inflict even a minuscule amount of damage.  Should I even be tackling her as I'm level 19 and haven't even learned a single magic spell (basically because I don't know how).

Even though I die a ridiculous amount of times, it's not as frustrating as I thought it would be.

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 1, 2010, 03:46:01 pm »
I love this game, although I do struggle at times.  I've played about ten hours so far and I've just managed to find my way to 2-1's boss, that giant, fuck off, flame spitting spider bitch.  Is there a tactic that comes in handy against her ?  At the moment I can't even inflict even a minuscule amount of damage.  Should I even be tackling her as I'm level 19 and haven't even learned a single magic spell (basically because I don't know how).

Even though I die a ridiculous amount of times, it's not as frustrating as I thought it would be.

cheap tactic, you need a bow and plenty of arrows, when you first go through the fog don't move forward just hug the wall on either side, equip the bow and zoom in then just pop out and fire an arrow then move back to the wall to avoid the fireballs, when it fires the web things you'll take some damage but not enough to really harm you although at lower levels you might need to heal once or twice during the battle, when it stops firing shit at you just lean out and fire another arrow, once you get your aim right you should be able to fire a couple of arrows off at a time and do damage

you can learn some basic magic from the apprentice in the nexus, he's in an alcove on the opposite side to stockpile thomas, you'll also need a catalyst to cast them, think the wooden catalyst is in 1-2 on the first tower where the dragon swoops down, for more advanced spells can be learnt when you free sage freke in 3-1 & yuria the witch in 1-3, these appear in the same area of the nexus once you free them, saint urbain can teach you miracles but you need to free him in 4-2 first, he appears in the bit behind the blacksmith in the nexus, you need a talisman to cast miracles and can find one near the start of 4-1
« Last Edit: September 1, 2010, 03:54:32 pm by FiSh77 »

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: September 1, 2010, 05:46:09 pm »
I worked out killing the spider by myself (well with a little help from whoever left the 'safe here' message) but thanks anyway.  I actually didn't have a clue about the magic side of things, and I certainly didn't know I needed a catalyst.  Is there any specific order in which you need to go or can I just go where I please ?

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: September 1, 2010, 06:06:30 pm »
you can more or less go where you please in worlds 2,3,4 & 5 as long as you kill the demon at the end of each level, you can also go back into worlds when you've beaten the demon to farm souls, upgrade stones etc

in world 1 you can't go into 1-3 until you've killed all the demons in another world

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #118 on: September 2, 2010, 05:48:31 pm »
Completed this last week, was really disappointed with the ending

Spoiler
thought you had to fight that big mother alien form the cinematic, instead I just mashed some deformed figure who didn't fight back....
[close]

Took me 35 hours and really enjoyed the game overall, got pure white in all my worlds first play through except the first and second, the archstones are really bright and brighter than the others which are pure white but can't seem to get the goodies from their worlds.....

Online NeoAdjuvant

• Kopite
« Reply #119 on: September 8, 2010, 09:59:37 am »
Just ordered this off Play for £29.99.

Hope this famed difficulty lives up to its promise  :lickin
But like the jet engine, there's sadly very little this country does better than having the raw materials to do something truly amazing that would benefit the whole of society only to piss it away due to a total lack of long term thinking and/or suspicion of anything European.