Author Topic: Swimming  (Read 23293 times)

Offline Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
Re: Swimming
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2009, 10:14:25 pm »
I teach swimming most days to get some extra cash, not an expert like but when i teach adults who want to improve their front crawl i get them working their legs, kicking with a float as thats where all the power comes from and that power gives you more time to breath so you can slow your arms right down and improve your breathing.  In all strokes if you have a good kick it makes everything a lot easier.

Obviously you can break down each stroke and do drills if you want to improve your technique but if you just want to improve your fitness just keep swimming and you'll find you can increase the distance and your fitness quickly but if you stop swimming you'll lose it just as quick!

Edit: And never be shy about learning to swim iv worked in pools for ten years and seen all shapes and sizes and ages learn to swim for the first time. There should be lots of adult swimming lesson classes and there are more people then you think that are just starting out.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:23:11 pm by Rob17 »

Offline toga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2009, 11:55:52 pm »
I like to listen to music while I'm exercising this is another factor. I do just hate it though always have.

That made me think: someone must have invented waterproof Ipods or similar by now. And they have! http://www.h2oaudio.co.uk/products.php! They're not the cheapest thing in the world, so I might go for the sandwich bag and cheap headphones option: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thumbs-Up-iSwim-Water-Earphone/dp/B001BAH5JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257897010&sr=8-1

Apparently, once you wear these waterproof jobs, you become a not too shabby swimmer:
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2009, 12:07:56 am »
That made me think: someone must have invented waterproof Ipods or similar by now. And they have! http://www.h2oaudio.co.uk/products.php! They're not the cheapest thing in the world, so I might go for the sandwich bag and cheap headphones option: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thumbs-Up-iSwim-Water-Earphone/dp/B001BAH5JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257897010&sr=8-1

Apparently, once you wear these waterproof jobs, you become a not too shabby swimmer:

Isn't that kind of dangerous? What if someone nearby was in trouble, or you miss an important announcement. Like, "Shark attack!!"

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2009, 08:23:39 am »
Not seen any sharks in my pool yet,
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline TonyTheRed

• NosedReindeer has a very qwertycock....
  • Legacy Fan
  • I've got a little black book with my poems in
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2009, 08:29:58 am »
Not seen any sharks in my pool yet,

There used to be plenty of 'Brown Sharks' in Dovie baths years ago
like one day u will find out im not female :)

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2009, 09:20:06 am »
I swim most days and have a Speedo Aquabeat waterproof mp3 player. It really makes the time pass far more easily and stops you counting lengths all the time.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline GeeFJay

• aka 'Gazvinder Singh - Serial stalker.' Subject of a staffroom restraining order.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2009, 10:04:46 pm »
ah aint that sweet, keeping the joints supple in your old age i see johnny?
http://www.quidco.com/user/745087/

www.misternobody.co.uk

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html

banner stolen on pre-season tour 2009 'liverpool fc europes finest five star establishment'

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2009, 10:20:54 pm »
I swim most days and have a Speedo Aquabeat waterproof mp3 player. It really makes the time pass far more easily and stops you counting lengths all the time.

I have a Finis swiMP3, only cost $125 and is pretty class.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2009, 10:26:31 pm »
we had a health check in our work 6 months ago and they told me my resting heart rate had gone up quite a bit and I should do some exercise. I used to swim loads when I was a teenager so I joined the local pool, which is ace because it's members only so nice and quiet. I've been going three times a week, doing between 1km and 1mile depending on how I feel. It's made me feel really good, got rid of some neck pains, and when we had our health check again last week me resting heart rate had dropped by 30bpm so it obviously did some good.

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2009, 10:31:12 pm »
we had a health check in our work 6 months ago and they told me my resting heart rate had gone up quite a bit and I should do some exercise. I used to swim loads when I was a teenager so I joined the local pool, which is ace because it's members only so nice and quiet. I've been going three times a week, doing between 1km and 1mile depending on how I feel. It's made me feel really good, got rid of some neck pains, and when we had our health check again last week me resting heart rate had dropped by 30bpm so it obviously did some good.

:thumbup
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline paiiv

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2012, 01:08:41 am »
(After rediscovering swimming a while ago and watching the Olympic swimmers all day today...)

Swimming's brilliant. I used to do it a lot when I was younger, always enjoyed it but stopped for many years for some reason. A while ago I started to go to the local swimming centre again and I absolutely love it. I'm not good at it (although I can really swim) and I'm really out of shape but having learned at least backstroke and breaststroke properly when younger I can keep going until I'm bored.

I love how the water feels, how all sounds are muffled, how beautiful everything looks beneath the surface, how I can just concentrate on the water, not think anything else... It's a zen-like feeling really, and the only sport that I can genuinely say I enjoy doing. And after watching the Olympics today, the next time I'm in pool I'm going to pretend I'm moving like the athletes there, with their long legs and arms and beautiful technique.  :-*

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2012, 01:53:55 am »
(After rediscovering swimming a while ago and watching the Olympic swimmers all day today...)

Swimming's brilliant. I used to do it a lot when I was younger, always enjoyed it but stopped for many years for some reason. A while ago I started to go to the local swimming centre again and I absolutely love it. I'm not good at it (although I can really swim) and I'm really out of shape but having learned at least backstroke and breaststroke properly when younger I can keep going until I'm bored.

I love how the water feels, how all sounds are muffled, how beautiful everything looks beneath the surface, how I can just concentrate on the water, not think anything else... It's a zen-like feeling really, and the only sport that I can genuinely say I enjoy doing. And after watching the Olympics today, the next time I'm in pool I'm going to pretend I'm moving like the athletes there, with their long legs and arms and beautiful technique.  :-*

Preach brother. it's a great feeling no doubt. I'm the same in that it's the only exercise that i truly love, never feels like a chore in the way that going to gym or jogging does (for me).

Trying to work on "bilateral breathing" (breathing on both sides) in front crawl lately to use my neck muscles a bit more evenly rather than always breathing to the same side. it's amazing how hard it is to change when you have just breathed to one side all your life. I'm slowly getting there but it doesn't feel natural yet.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2012, 02:03:46 am »

Preach brother. it's a great feeling no doubt. I'm the same in that it's the only exercise that i truly love, never feels like a chore in the way that going to gym or jogging does (for me).

Trying to work on "bilateral breathing" (breathing on both sides) in front crawl lately to use my neck muscles a bit more evenly rather than always breathing to the same side. it's amazing how hard it is to change when you have just breathed to one side all your life. I'm slowly getting there but it doesn't feel natural yet.

I also started again a month ago, I'm still in the Eric Moussambani stage ( I used to swim when I was younger but well...) but I'm in no rush, it is always fun to swim and very relaxing as well ;)
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2012, 02:23:35 am »
ive always wanted to learn to swim but just never had the chance both my local swimming pools only have kid classes never quite had the bottle to just jump in and try and teach my self

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2012, 03:58:13 am »
ive always wanted to learn to swim but just never had the chance both my local swimming pools only have kid classes never quite had the bottle to just jump in and try and teach my self
bah you should ask anyway, I bet they must have classes for yound adults or big kids like yourself ;)

Offline paiiv

• Anny Roader
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2012, 09:59:17 am »
I agree, you should go anyway! Maybe they do have swimming courses for adults as well? I know they have beginners' courses for kids but for adults too here and apparently they have been very popular so you're not alone!

In my short swimming career I'm now at the point where I want to build some fitness first, and then try to better my technique. At my swimming centre they have lanes for "normal" swimmers and "fast" swimmers and since I can't do front crawl for a long time and that's what they all do in the fast lane I've been staying with the slower ones. It's a pain though, there are many fairly good swimmers, many of them old men, but also people who just prefer to float about and maybe use their arms and legs a little so that they actually move. I try to go at times when it's not crowded and find late evenings the best... It kind of ruins the zen-like feeling when old ladies blocking the lane get me all road (lane) ragey.

Offline paiiv

• Anny Roader
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2012, 12:15:41 pm »
It makes you appreciate the swimmers on the tele a bit more when they are going over 4 times faster than what i'm doing.

Hah, same with me. The best swimmers do 1500 m under 15 min, takes about 50 with me I think ;D
But I enjoy it still, though, we can't all be professional athletes!

Online Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2012, 12:32:16 pm »
I agree, you should go anyway! Maybe they do have swimming courses for adults as well? I know they have beginners' courses for kids but for adults too here and apparently they have been very popular so you're not alone!

In my short swimming career I'm now at the point where I want to build some fitness first, and then try to better my technique. At my swimming centre they have lanes for "normal" swimmers and "fast" swimmers and since I can't do front crawl for a long time and that's what they all do in the fast lane I've been staying with the slower ones. It's a pain though, there are many fairly good swimmers, many of them old men, but also people who just prefer to float about and maybe use their arms and legs a little so that they actually move. I try to go at times when it's not crowded and find late evenings the best... It kind of ruins the zen-like feeling when old ladies blocking the lane get me all road (lane) ragey.

dont know why they bother calling them swimming pools, my local pool (that is when you can get in to atually swim as opposed to it being booked for inflatable dinosaur birrthday parties ) is roped off -3 /4 for general play eg kids dicking about  and 1/4 for actual swimming.

The actual swimming section you have people of all different abilities  / speeds crashing into each other its a total farce. Even when there is practically no one in the titting about section they wont shift the rope.

Bizzarely on the one occassion I found myself alone  in the swim only section , the jobsworth lifeguard tapped me on the head and said I had to  swim up and down in a circular motion, the tit

Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2012, 12:55:15 pm »
bah you should ask anyway, I bet they must have classes for yound adults or big kids like yourself ;)

i did ask (well checked the website ) only have adult and child classes don't seem to teach adults only

Offline paiiv

• Anny Roader
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2012, 01:02:26 pm »
I'm lucky enough the nearest swimming centre has separate pools for children, teaching and diving etc so no kids and inflatables there. So theoretically there should be only swimmers there but as "swimming" means different things for different people it gets hard sometimes... Hence the road rage, which I try to keep at the minimum. I don't mind people swimming at a faster/slower pace than me but what I can't stand is people who just stay at the end of the pool chatting, not bothering to move to the side, and people who don't understand there's not really space for them to swim side by side with their friends.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Swimming
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2012, 01:02:55 pm »
Reading the comments in here I should really start swimming again, I haven't since my teens but its a great way to stay fit and also enjoyable at the same time, I wasn't  boss swimmer when I was younger but I was competent enough, I'm so out of shape now I'd feel slightly self concious but I guess I just have to jump back in at the deep end :)

Offline paiiv

• Anny Roader
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2012, 01:13:30 pm »
The first time I went just walking the 50 m to the end of the pool felt very awkward, like everybody's watching, but as soon as I started swimming I forgot everything! For me the trick is to do it often so I get used to it. Even 2 weeks break makes me feel all self conscious again, I'm sad like that.

I'm loving how it's great excercise but still feels good - I never enjoyed running or going to the gym so I'm actually really looking forward to getting back into the rhythm after holidays.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2012, 01:23:18 pm »
dont know why they bother calling them swimming pools, my local pool (that is when you can get in to atually swim as opposed to it being booked for inflatable dinosaur birrthday parties ) is roped off -3 /4 for general play eg kids dicking about  and 1/4 for actual swimming.

The actual swimming section you have people of all different abilities  / speeds crashing into each other its a total farce. Even when there is practically no one in the titting about section they wont shift the rope.

Bizzarely on the one occassion I found myself alone  in the swim only section , the jobsworth lifeguard tapped me on the head and said I had to  swim up and down in a circular motion, the tit

That is a pain. The last place I lived was a bit like that, I found that you had to go at 7am before work if you wanted to actually swim.

The first time I went just walking the 50 m to the end of the pool felt very awkward, like everybody's watching, but as soon as I started swimming I forgot everything!

Your pool is 50m? nice! Wish we had a 50m one locally. Really good for building up stamina.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2012, 01:25:50 pm »
Been swimming regularly again for 2 years. Generally swim 1mile - 2km a day breast stroke. Will have access to the Olympic pool next year an all.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2012, 01:46:52 pm »

i started two months before my wedding and have managed to lose a stone and a half. 

i'm still going down in weight but at 42 i'm pleased to say i can see actual muscle definition in my arms and chest.

this is astounding given the last time i was forced to exercise was 1985.

i only do the breast stroke and try to smash off four sets of ten lengths 25m pool with a 2 min recovery after each set.

any top tips on how to  make myself better generally?

they do adult lessons for free 7am thursday as part of the swimfit program but can never get there in time.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2012, 01:56:53 pm »
i did ask (well checked the website ) only have adult and child classes don't seem to teach adults only
there must be adult classes for begginers, there always are.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2012, 10:11:07 pm »
Love it and swim quite regularly.

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2012, 10:57:20 pm »
I can swim like a rock  8)

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2012, 10:59:09 pm »
Butterfly was always the stroke I excelled at, possibly because everyone else was awful at it.

Must get back swimming.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #69 on: August 1, 2012, 09:14:39 am »
does anyone know much about the shaw method?

http://www.artofswimming.com/

i've noticed a zen like elegance to the people who go to swim fit and it turns out its where the alexander technique meets the pool.

quite pricey but i'd be up for doing it if i could nail the technique it looks superb in action.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #70 on: August 1, 2012, 01:44:08 pm »
Swam for years for Prescot Swimming club when I was younger. Had a pretty decent PB (wont challenge Thorpe but enough to destroy everyone in secondary school as I was the only one in my year who took lessons). Its great way of keeping fit and developing stamina without feeling like death after. Plus less chance of injuries.

I dropped out before I started college and haven't really swam again since (about 7 years).

I really want to start again but gym costs and fitting it in around my job just makes it impossible.

Offline paiiv

• Anny Roader
« Reply #71 on: August 1, 2012, 02:05:20 pm »
Now that holidays are over I'm really trying to fit swimming into my "normal" weekly schedule. Three times a week would be ideal but I'm not sure how it's going to work. Twice would be good too, we'll see.

Have any of you ever got a cramp when swimming? I've heard people drowning because of cramping, especially when swimming in open water, but never experienced it myself. Anyway recently as I pushed off the wall I felt my calf cramping really bad and was barely able to make it to the ropes. It hurt like hell and had I been in open water and too deep I don't know what would have happened.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #72 on: August 1, 2012, 02:08:15 pm »
Have any of you ever got a cramp when swimming? I've heard people drowning because of cramping, especially when swimming in open water, but never experienced it myself. Anyway recently as I pushed off the wall I felt my calf cramping really bad and was barely able to make it to the ropes. It hurt like hell and had I been in open water and too deep I don't know what would have happened.

Sounds to me like you didn't do a proper warm up before pushing yourself. Always do a few light lengths to warm up before you train.

Offline paiiv

• Anny Roader
« Reply #73 on: August 1, 2012, 02:48:25 pm »
Sounds to me like you didn't do a proper warm up before pushing yourself. Always do a few light lengths to warm up before you train.

I actually did, this was maybe just for trying too much - I had been swimming for almost 2 km and took a breather - and this happened straight after I went on again. But yeah, should be more careful!

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: August 1, 2012, 03:54:08 pm »
i love it

used to swim for the liverpool penguins then the liverpool b squad, then i founds drugs, women and alcohol.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Online Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #75 on: August 1, 2012, 08:32:41 pm »

i started two months before my wedding and have managed to lose a stone and a half. 

i'm still going down in weight but at 42 i'm pleased to say i can see actual muscle definition in my arms and chest.

this is astounding given the last time i was forced to exercise was 1985.

i only do the breast stroke and try to smash off four sets of ten lengths 25m pool with a 2 min recovery after each set.

any top tips on how to  make myself better generally?

they do adult lessons for free 7am thursday as part of the swimfit program but can never get there in time.

I could never understand how old dears would be easing past me and swimming for longer much longer without a rest than me, Im 40 also!

I thought the more practice i got it would come natuarally, while practise has made gave me more stamina it was only when i went and joined our local tri club i realised its all in the stroke.

I found "unlearning" your normal swimming stroke in order implement the techniques that proper swimmers have is incredibly difficult. Get the arms right then the legs go !

In short its sounds stupid but i' start from scratch and get lesson!  At our age who gives a shit about being in the slow lane for a few months
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #76 on: August 1, 2012, 11:02:10 pm »

I'll give you a lift into Glasgow next time i'm up. Push you in the Clyde and we'll find out ;)
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #77 on: August 2, 2012, 01:46:41 pm »

In short its sounds stupid but i' start from scratch and get lesson!  At our age who gives a shit about being in the slow lane for a few months

good point well made.  they do free lessons on wednesday mornings but 7am is a tricky slot with a lively 2 year old on the firm.

i will give it a go though and report back.  its going to be like nick faldo rebuilding his swing.  underwater ;D

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #78 on: August 2, 2012, 03:31:03 pm »
Going 'swimming' for the first time in a proper pool for years tonight. Should be interesting. I do seriously need to improve though because every time I go on holiday I look a twat in the water.
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #79 on: August 8, 2012, 02:16:33 pm »
so my local pool will be running 'improver' lessons through september and i'm going to take the course.

will report back.  have to say i love the buzz i get from exercise its a completely new pleasure for me.

four days in italy eating pasta twice a day and drinking with every meal really piles on the weight when you stop the swim.

day two of exercise since we got back and i feel back on track.