Author Topic: Chillies  (Read 49965 times)

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
Re: Chillies
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2009, 06:26:16 pm »
this thread has inspired me to go out and get some seeds. want to give this growing a go! will have to pick up some seeds some time this week
Nice!!!  It can make you shit twice more per day too though, which can make it a bit uncomfortable at work....  I like them in chutneys too.

Is anyone going to start a thread on ganja?  ;D

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2009, 06:09:55 pm »
Me and my dad just fixed the greenhouse (broken glass needed replacing, and generally needed cleaning up a bit). And now I want to grow some chillis. Seeds seem to cost a few quid- my mum already grows the normal green chillis, but I want some of the spiciest stuff around. That Bhut Jokia or whatever it is sounds like a good place to start  ;D

Might get some Jalapeno seeds and scotch bonnets too.

All these easy to grow in a greenhouse? Just stick them in a compost bag? We've got some chillis growing now actually (along with some tomato plants and courgettes)- is growing them all the same?
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2009, 07:29:52 pm »
Me and my dad just fixed the greenhouse (broken glass needed replacing, and generally needed cleaning up a bit). And now I want to grow some chillis. Seeds seem to cost a few quid- my mum already grows the normal green chillis, but I want some of the spiciest stuff around. That Bhut Jokia or whatever it is sounds like a good place to start  ;D

Might get some Jalapeno seeds and scotch bonnets too.

All these easy to grow in a greenhouse? Just stick them in a compost bag? We've got some chillis growing now actually (along with some tomato plants and courgettes)- is growing them all the same?

I've always found that to get the best results you really need to look after them for the first few weeks. It doesn't really matter what kind of Chillies you intend to grow, if you don't look after them then they'll end up fucked. I usually plant mine in loads of small pots. Then I tie them up in plastic shopping bags and place them on the sill in the greenhouse to let them propogate. I water them twice a day, every day for the first few weeks.

I never use a watering can though, as too much water can drown and rot the root. I use a spray, usually a finished bottle of windowlean or something like that, filled with water. The spray keeps them nice and moist. If they're kept moist and get enough warmth inside the bags they'll sprout right up.

Once they're big enough I put them into bigger pots so the roots can grow deeper and just throw away the bags. Again, just keep them moist and let them soak up the sun. Once they're ready its curry time. A curry made with ones own chillies is truly monumentous. Happy growing sir !!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 07:32:46 pm by Billy The Kid. »
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2009, 08:02:26 pm »
Spot on all that Bill, i find that if you put the care in when there young seedlings, you'll reap a larger crop of fruits.

For the record my seeds have germinated and I finally have lift off.  :D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2009, 08:03:34 pm »
Cheers- I've just looked at the ones my mum's growing now (they're in the bedroom!), and they've all sprouted. If I can't do it, I'll just let her grow them then cook them up  ;D

I want to make sauces with some of mine though- hence the scotch bonnet... I love chilli sauce so it'll be good to try and make some of my own! Might also get some tobasco chillis. Get a blend of some chillis on the go in a sauce.

I'll turn the greenhouse into a chilli garden  :P

The hottest chilli in the world intrigues me... but I now wonder if it'd be practical- I sure as hell wouldn't eat a whole one! So I guess I'll start off with the usual chilli sauce caribbean style chillis.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2009, 08:21:20 pm »
Started 4 weeks ago... Cant wait
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2009, 08:25:14 pm »
For the record my seeds have germinated and I finally have lift off.  :D

I planted mine on Sunday. 8 pots of Jalepeno, 4 pots of Cayenne, and 4 pots of Tobasco.

Im also trying Tepins this year, I tried them last year but they never came up. Fingers crossed this year though
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2009, 08:39:59 pm »
I planted mine on Sunday. 8 pots of Jalepeno, 4 pots of Cayenne, and 4 pots of Tobasco.

Im also trying Tepins this year, I tried them last year but they never came up. Fingers crossed this year though

I bow to your violume production !!!

Mine where from wilko's quid a pot got some tabasco and jalapeno. just separated the "stronger" seedlings. Thought they had "expired" during the procedure but some tomatoe food and water brought them back in a day.

doing some potatoes as well but used food ones and chitted them just been told I should have bought seed potatoes!

Hey ho
           even better tomorrow.

Offline lainey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2009, 09:59:14 pm »
I have chillies - little teeney ones but chillies

one started off well but met it's maker unfortunately but the others are doing well

little and often

I've got a nice little crop of figs aswell

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2009, 11:49:36 am »
I have chillies - little teeney ones

is that a euphemism for bollocks?
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline penfold102

• It remains unclear as to whether "102" refers to my IQ or my dad's age - let RAWK decide! :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2009, 01:09:09 pm »
This guy is quite insane - he has lots of videos of him on youtube eating some ridiculously hot chillies and gives tasting notes whilst at the same same time turning a nice shade of purple. Here he is tasting a whole Dorset Naga  :odd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR7jvw9W-TQ&feature=related
Fils et pere - Trade count of 35+

What's tomato with you?

Offline MJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2009, 06:06:14 pm »
This guy is quite insane - he has lots of videos of him on youtube eating some ridiculously hot chillies and gives tasting notes whilst at the same same time turning a nice shade of purple. Here he is tasting a whole Dorset Naga  :odd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR7jvw9W-TQ&feature=related

Just planted some of those, should be good ;D

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2009, 06:24:32 pm »
mmmmm....love chillies...yummy....the hotter the better. It strips your mouth and leaves it more sensitive to taste. Things taste nicer. If my food doesnt make me sweat, i am not interested.

Never thought about growing my own. Think I might have a go.

Does anyone know any health benefits chillies provide? Just out of interest like.

Yoghurt is good for those peeps that get a bit hot.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2009, 12:17:30 pm »
Half price chilli seeds for those that are interested.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/search.html?section=all&search=chili

Ends tonight.

Offline lainey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2009, 01:58:20 pm »
mmmmm....love chillies...yummy....the hotter the better. It strips your mouth and leaves it more sensitive to taste. Things taste nicer. If my food doesnt make me sweat, i am not interested.

Never thought about growing my own. Think I might have a go.

Does anyone know any health benefits chillies provide? Just out of interest like.

Yoghurt is good for those peeps that get a bit hot.

they're trying them in ointments to treat arthritis and pain

it can help you lose weight as (thinks) cayenne can increase your metabolism

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2009, 03:25:09 pm »

Try chopping them up into a past and rubbing them into your eyes. I've been told it wakes you up ;)

But seriously chillies help boost metabolism and helps you burn fat faster. Also a great antioxident (gets rid of the bad toxins in your body)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2009, 03:42:56 pm »
But seriously chillies help boost metabolism and helps you burn fat faster.

Is that from all the energy you burn up running round room screaming in agony after rubbing them in your eyes?

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2009, 02:54:56 pm »
Just sown a few seeds of Jalapeno and Scotch Bonnet- they're outside basking in the sunlight- will move them indoors later... hopefully within a week or so, we see some shoots and they can be planted in individual pots and go in the greenhouse  :)

Anyone grown these 2 types? Any tips?

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2009, 02:57:45 pm »
When I went to India to visit some family, there was a man sat at the table, with a bowl full of chillies, of all shaps and sizes, just munching away at them.

Ouch.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2009, 03:50:31 pm »
Just sown a few seeds of Jalapeno and Scotch Bonnet- they're outside basking in the sunlight- will move them indoors later... hopefully within a week or so, we see some shoots and they can be planted in individual pots and go in the greenhouse  :)

Anyone grown these 2 types? Any tips?

I'd put them in the greenhouse now if I was you, right next to the window

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2009, 04:07:43 pm »

Really? Wouldn't the plummeting temperatures at night hinder the germination of the seeds initially?

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2009, 01:14:31 pm »
Really? Wouldn't the plummeting temperatures at night hinder the germination of the seeds initially?

Sorry I didn't respond to your post sooner

No, that shouldn't affect the germination at all, as far as I'm aware at least. I've read and researched many articles about growing chillies and I've never read anything about night temperatures affecting germination. They're used to low night temperatures in their natural enviornments anyways. Try camping in Mexico, then you'll know what I mean ;D

The 2 main reasons why I keep mine in the greenhouse straight from the moment of planting them is :

It will be slightly warmer in the greenhouse

A downpour of rain may rot the root.

Too much water can seriously fuck the plants up, especially at the early stages. The single most important thing to growing them is making sure they have the right amount of water. In essence, you shouldn't really water chillies, you should just moisten them. Hence why I never use a watering can, I only use a spray gun. Spray them 2 to 3 times a day if you can while they're in the greenhouse. Let the sun do the rest.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2009, 07:24:56 am »

do greenhouses have anything other than windows?? :P

I love Chillies and find Jalapeno's are about my limit... be fucked if i could handle one of them that scale a million: :o
JFT 96

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2009, 10:41:48 am »
They're in the front room at the moment next to the window- very hot... I'm back home from uni next week so will hopefully see at least the Jalapeno seeds have sprouted- I'll stick them in the greenhouse then.

Hoping the scotch bonnets will grow- I think I've left it a bit too late with them- they can take a month just for the seeds to germinate I think?! And upto 3 until I see any of the fruits.

Offline mickdundee

• Kopite
« Reply #104 on: June 1, 2009, 07:38:59 am »
Love chillies and hot food, found Birdseye chillies to be very very hot, like paint stripper.
Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby union is a complex game played by wankers." Former Australian captain Laurie Daley

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: June 1, 2009, 10:11:36 am »
do greenhouses have anything other than windows?? :P

A door is usually quite useful.

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #106 on: June 1, 2009, 10:26:09 am »
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
  • Bringing back better days
« Reply #107 on: June 1, 2009, 10:45:16 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_rQ4oRkY_4&NR=1

This lad just ate the 2nd hottest chilli in the world! :o

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #108 on: June 1, 2009, 11:18:47 am »
Love chillies and hot food, found Birdseye chillies to be very very hot, like paint stripper.

You've swallowed paint stripper?

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2009, 05:01:08 pm »
Started 4 weeks ago... Cant wait

Update. They seem to be doing ok....
           even better tomorrow.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2009, 05:03:17 pm »
mmmmmm......chillies.....slobber.....
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2009, 06:10:05 pm »
The chilli seeds had sprouted by the time I got back from uni, and they were put in the greenhouse- been a couple of weeks now and they get sprayed. All the Scotch Bonnet seeds I planted are growing nicely (8 of them I think) and most of the Jalapenos are- 1 looks like it's giving it a go (seed's sprouted but there's no shoots coming out- unlike the others which are about 3-4cm tall now!)- I expected to have more success with the Jalapenos.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: July 5, 2009, 12:55:32 pm »
Update. They seem to be doing ok....

Got a chilli!!
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: August 2, 2009, 02:08:39 pm »
Hows everyones doing this year? 

Just had my first "pest problem"

Any pics to drool over??
           even better tomorrow.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: August 2, 2009, 02:20:43 pm »
Scotch Bonnets and Jalapenos going strong... but been a bit shite in terms of weather. The other 2 plants of unknown chillis have flowered and the first chillis are coming through.

Hoping the scotch bonnets, at least, make it- can't be *too* long before the flower buds start appearing, then hopefully a couple of weeks after that the first chillis make an apperance  :D

P.S- I see you planted a single seed in a small pot- we have about 5-6 seeds in much larger pots (4 large pots, handful of seeds in each) and they're coming out like small bushes! Does it matter if you do it either way, or is the single seed, single pot preferable.

(Just seen the pots with the seeds planted earlier, and there's loads of chillis starting to come through. Will probably need to hike up the tomato feed soon! )

« Last Edit: August 2, 2009, 02:26:09 pm by BazC »

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: August 2, 2009, 05:00:46 pm »
Scotch Bonnets and Jalapenos going strong... but been a bit shite in terms of weather. The other 2 plants of unknown chillis have flowered and the first chillis are coming through.

Hoping the scotch bonnets, at least, make it- can't be *too* long before the flower buds start appearing, then hopefully a couple of weeks after that the first chillis make an apperance  :D

P.S- I see you planted a single seed in a small pot- we have about 5-6 seeds in much larger pots (4 large pots, handful of seeds in each) and they're coming out like small bushes! Does it matter if you do it either way, or is the single seed, single pot preferable.

(Just seen the pots with the seeds planted earlier, and there's loads of chillis starting to come through. Will probably need to hike up the tomato feed soon! )

Hello.

I planted a handful of seeds in small plant pots then once established transfered seedlings to individual pots. Never done it before so muddling through. My plants are a little tall and not bushy. I have a lot of chillis though. 15-20 each "good plant " (4 of ) and less on the smaller ones.

they are jalepenos and tabasco. bought fro Wilkies for 2 quid!

Quite happy and def got the bug.

« Last Edit: August 2, 2009, 05:04:03 pm by pheel »
           even better tomorrow.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: August 2, 2009, 05:47:09 pm »
That's great- 15-20 on a plant. I think next time I do it I might use less seeds, or more pots!

I was going to buy some tobasco ones as well but decided for the Jalapenos in the end. My mum planted 2 different types (from Wilkos as well I think) but I don't know what type they are.

They're a nice plant to grow these chillis. Especially in a green house where they love the heat and humidity, as opposed to the other types of plant. We've got 3 big tomato plants as well which have shed loads of tomatoes coming through, courgettes (we've had loads... but I just don't like them) and aubergines I think (again, a vergetable i don't like!).

Have you tasted any of your chillis yet, or are they not quite ready? The ones in the picture are jalapenos right? Chop em up onto a nice homemade pizza?

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: August 2, 2009, 05:52:44 pm »
Hello,

We bouncing threads here~!!

Not tasted, scared to harvest and waiting for some red to appear. Some of the Jalapenos are looking like the right size for stuffing and grilling. If every pod develops and goes to chilli I will have hundreds.

Gonna buy a greenhouse and have a proper play next Feb!

I have been greenfly killing this afternoon. They are growing in my office and taking over!!
           even better tomorrow.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: August 2, 2009, 05:58:19 pm »
Haha, yeah we're bouncing to and fro on these foody threads  :D

You don't have to wait for them to ripen on the vine do you? Try one  ;D Also, the more you harvest them, the more yield you get as they'll grow back won't they?

I know what I'm going to do with the Jalapenos, but not so much with the scotch bonnets after I pay my brother money to watch him eat one whole...

Greenflies in the office? glad ours are in the greenhouse!

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: August 2, 2009, 06:06:09 pm »
I have a little crappy conservatory that was here when we bought the house. I put the office in there because thats all the space is and it gave us a bedroom! I have an office and this is more where I dissapear to finish ?> start the day. Anyway. The seedlings have done well. and inspired by you I have just tried one. I have a very pleasant tingle;e in the mouth as I type!

the greenfly where at egg stage, just a couple of leaves. Because of space I am concerned that they run riot.. Any way think I have them now.
Do you know whether I should leave the Jals to turn red?
           even better tomorrow.