Author Topic: Total War Series: Rome, Medieval, Shogun etc  (Read 24580 times)

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Total War Series: Rome, Medieval, Shogun etc
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2006, 12:29:07 pm »
Never got the knack of the Selucids: they are the ones with the light blue colour? And elephants and camels? Gave up on them I have to admit.

Have to admit my favourite battles are ones where your side is hugely outnumbered, but you have the tactical advantage by being on a huge mountain slope. Once you start routing tired enemies, even if there's thousands of them, carnage normally follows.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2006, 03:29:45 pm »
One thing which is quite impressive is the difference environment makes whe  you're fighting the barbarians. Am getting my arse kicked in the forests of Gaul, well I'm winning but it takes a few more troops than I expected.

Seleucids it is next :) Is the Goldworthy book worthy of a place on the Xmas list?

Most definitely, very informative and a good review of current opinion, and Goldworthy himself is not afraid to differ from accepted historical interpretation, either.

readable and well-written, setting it apart from the vast majority of putatively scholarly tomes.  echoes of John (Kevin?) Keegan's approach and delivery...

enjoy the Seleucids, the cataphracts are quite a bit of fun...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2006, 06:21:12 pm »
Medieval 2 got a very positive review in the latest PC Gamer (94%), it's out on the 24th of November.

Actually it's the tenth, according to Amazon and Play. There's a demo out, but at nearly half a gig I think I'll wait until my missus buys it for me.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: November 1, 2006, 01:26:03 pm »
I have a question: I had been playing Barbarian Invasion, but wanted to return to Rome: Total War, and had to re-install the game. My question is, how the hell do you get to play races like the Carthagians? Do you have to d/l a patch or something? At the moment I can only play the three Imperial races.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #84 on: November 1, 2006, 03:46:17 pm »
have to be "unlocked," you'll have to go through winning the game as the three Roman families to unlock some of the other powers...

suck it up, set it on Easeh, Easeh game settings, and rip through a game as the Scipii, think that will unlock Carthage.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #85 on: November 1, 2006, 04:45:13 pm »
There is a 'nocd' hack which you can use which also unlocks the other factions.

So I've heard anyway...
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #86 on: November 1, 2006, 05:17:10 pm »
There is a 'nocd' hack which you can use which also unlocks the other factions.

So I've heard anyway...

otherwise known as the Mourinho Option...

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: November 2, 2006, 01:14:50 am »
Nice: thanks for the info. Have checked out some mods and there are some cool ones out there, not that any of them are of use  to me now anyway as my video card looks to be on the way out.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #88 on: November 2, 2006, 01:50:12 am »
Nice: thanks for the info. Have checked out some mods and there are some cool ones out there, not that any of them are of use  to me now anyway as my video card looks to be on the way out.

never played any mods for RTW; let us know if you give any a go...

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: November 2, 2006, 02:49:44 am »
never played any mods for RTW; let us know if you give any a go...

Was having a look at some mod sites last night, and found this absolutely cracking site with dozens of mods available for d/l. Can't find it now, only this page: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=157

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #90 on: November 9, 2006, 07:44:37 pm »
Now here's a dilemma. It's out at your local EMule and no doubt BT store at an extremely competitive price, but I've already asked my wife to get it for my birthday as I was under pressure to actually think of something I wanted.

Given that she pre-ordered it from Amazon and it took me a week to think of something she could get me, do I download it and play it now or wait until next month?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #91 on: November 9, 2006, 08:11:43 pm »
Wait.

Here's a question...I have played Shogun total war, and really disliked it. But I like the roman medieval eras of history. Do they play about the same as Shogun? I'm really tempted to get one of the two, but I have to have more enjoyable game play. It was a long time ago that I played, but I think the thing I didn't like most was the controls...and I think when I entered into a battle it was a total melee and just annoyed the fuck out of me...probably overly complex for me :D
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #92 on: November 9, 2006, 08:29:28 pm »
Now here's a dilemma. It's out at your local EMule and no doubt BT store at an extremely competitive price, but I've already asked my wife to get it for my birthday as I was under pressure to actually think of something I wanted.

Given that she pre-ordered it from Amazon and it took me a week to think of something she could get me, do I download it and play it now or wait until next month?

Mudface:

tempted to tell you to take the big picture view and wait until next month.  the game is well worth the wait, but sounds as though you and the missus both sort of went to a little trouble on deciding on RTW as a prezzie.

mightn't she be slightly upset if you, ah, take the initiative? ;)

we'll be here in the thread in a month's time, believe Armin is lost in the sands of the Sahara, locked in combat with the Numidians...

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #93 on: November 9, 2006, 08:31:17 pm »
Wait.

Here's a question...I have played Shogun total war, and really disliked it. But I like the roman medieval eras of history. Do they play about the same as Shogun? I'm really tempted to get one of the two, but I have to have more enjoyable game play. It was a long time ago that I played, but I think the thing I didn't like most was the controls...and I think when I entered into a battle it was a total melee and just annoyed the fuck out of me...probably overly complex for me :D

RedFerLife:

sounds familiar, actually.  i never sorted out how to play the battles in the Total War engine when i owned Shogun.  loved the strategic gameplay, but couldn't understand the system to fight out the battles in tactical fashion.

got RTW a few years later, lost a few battles in the strategic mode, then pushed myself to learn the battle system.

like buying a whole new game, really.  should give RTW a try, second time was a big success with the Total War engine for me...

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #94 on: November 9, 2006, 08:32:09 pm »
It's the same sort of mechanism- Risk-style campaign map combined with RTS style battles. From memory, the controls for the latter games are pretty similar to what Shogun's were as well. You can auto-resolve the battles if you're not an armchair general type, but the battles are such good fun, you'd be mad to.

If you find it a bit complex, the easiest way to think of it is as a tarted-up scissors-paper-stone game. For example, cavalry decimate archers, archers pick off pikemen, pikemen fuck cavalry. There's more refinements obviously, like height (higher up is better generally), morale, flanking, fatigue etc etc, but at its most fundamental this is basically what it is.

You can get the original Medieval for a fiver now, or Rome for under a tenner and they're both excellent, so it might be worth getting one of them if you don't want to splurge £25 on a new game. Rome is closest in terms of gameplay and graphics, Medieval obviously in terms of period, units, influence of religion etc.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: November 9, 2006, 10:23:38 pm »
Redferlife
I'm a massive fan of Shogun but found it fairly easy to win - just rack up the time and get yourself a Geisha Ninja and hey presto Bob, or Kamato Mushashi, is your uncle.
However the battles are great fun but you have to remember that the sword is everything in Japan and a heavy armoured swordsman will wreck havoc...

here's a question... I have the original Medieval but have never played it, is it worth trying that out before MII ?
Yep.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2006, 07:25:31 am »
here's a question... I have the original Medieval but have never played it, is it worth trying that out before MII ?

It's pretty good, worth a play but not as good as Rome. Plenty of countries you can go as, so there's a lot of different units, starting strengths and weaknesses and starting positions for you to get into.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2006, 10:38:14 am »
Cheers B, So is the Rome game closer to the new MII ?
Yep.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2006, 10:47:06 am »
Yep. Rome was a huge advance over the original Medieval both in graphics and gameplay, and according to the mag reviews I've seen, MII is more of an evolutionary rather than revolutionary step. I prefer M1 over Rome largely due to the period it's set in, but Rome wipes the floor with it in many other areas. Also, MII's out next week, and although M1 is only a fiver nowadays, you need around 60-80 hours for a proper full campaign, so it's not really worth getting over the new one.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2006, 10:49:09 am »
Armin is lost in the sands of the Sahara, locked in combat with the Numidians...

Those duplicitous bastards betrayed me and will soon pay the ultimate price. The Elephants are on the way and I intend to make sure their faction leader meets his maker on their tusks.

Selucids are quite good in terms of units. Find the phalanx infantry a little unwieldy though. Good thing is that you can make a really productive economy trading between the Turkish peninsula round towards Egypt. Just a bit concerned that by the time I get to the Romans they'll have made the advancements that make them harder to beat.

Hinesy I've never played Mediaeval or Shogun but am really enjoying Rome. Although I snuck a look at Medieavel 2 in a pc mag in Smiths and it looks awesome. If your pc is up to it I suspect thats the one to go for.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2006, 10:49:38 am »
cheers mudface.
Matt, alas my pc isn't up to MII having a graphics card called the nVidia Etch-a Sketch, but will be upgrading - just might have to wait to next year..
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 11:00:54 am by hinesy »
Yep.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2006, 11:46:01 am »
Get M1 in the meantime ;).

Offline HelterSkelter

• Kopite
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2006, 02:56:20 pm »
Medieval 2 is out today, £26 in PCworld with a voucher from todays mirror. Also out on torrent sites, unfortunately at over 6 gig it is gonna take one hell of a wait.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2006, 08:48:41 pm »
Thanks for the tips, all.

When you download a game, do you burn it onto dics or is it ready to go as is?

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2006, 08:39:00 am »
Medieval 2 is out today, £26 in PCworld with a voucher from todays mirror. Also out on torrent sites, unfortunately at over 6 gig it is gonna take one hell of a wait.

Without dragging up the whole morality of downloading debate from playing RTW and seeing whats in Medieval I reckon this is one worth buying in any case. The developers have clearly worked their arses off.

Offline HelterSkelter

• Kopite
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2006, 01:21:45 pm »
Without dragging up the whole morality of downloading debate from playing RTW and seeing whats in Medieval I reckon this is one worth buying in any case. The developers have clearly worked their arses off.
True, bought it myself. Just shocked at the size of the file more than anything. 6.5g is about 30% bigger than the biggest games out there. Thats a hell of a lot of game for £25.
Finding it tough atm, forgot how much more like a juggling act Medieval is compared to Rome. Forgot all about religion while playing rome, but the pope is being a arse. He wants me to join the crusade, leave the french alone even though they are the aggressors, raise cristianity in my provinces, take any heathen towns all the while threatening to excommunicate me and send the catholic massive to liberate england. Throw in  the unloyal bastards that keep leaving me to start rebellions and the other nations who attack if i don't have enought troops to defend the province, and i think i have a game on.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2006, 12:32:35 pm »
Well, I picked up Rome and am currently playing through the tutorial. So it's nice and easy so far. I've had two battles so far, and in the second my army had around 10 units. Because we were fighting through streets, everyone was crowded together and it was hard to stay organised. I was actually surprised when I won with almost no casualties to my men. One question, can I kill my own men with my won catapults?

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2006, 01:41:39 pm »
yes... ;)

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2006, 08:11:17 am »
Med 2 looks the dogs: I'm holding off getting it because I figure I'll lose at least a month. Prefer to do that when it's cold and wet and not warm and sunny like it is here at the moment.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2006, 11:25:13 am »
Say you have 2 armies besieging a town. What governs which of the armies you're given control of if the besieged party attempts a breakout? Reason I ask is that I had a large army besieging the Scythians and then I moved another small group in to support them. When the breakout occurred the computer gave me control of the small group and left the large grouping off the battlefield in the hands of an idiot AI. Both armies wound up destroyed in a shambolic encounter.

Clearly the lesson is only besiege with one army, but I wondered if there was any reason why I was given the smaller units to command?

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2006, 11:41:50 am »

Clearly the lesson is only besiege with one army, but I wondered if there was any reason why I was given the smaller units to command?

The computer knows your cruel cold hearted approach to military victory and was wary of being responsible for thousands of deaths rather than 100's by allocating them to your iron grip.
Yep.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2006, 12:11:47 pm »
Say you have 2 armies besieging a town. What governs which of the armies you're given control of if the besieged party attempts a breakout? Reason I ask is that I had a large army besieging the Scythians and then I moved another small group in to support them. When the breakout occurred the computer gave me control of the small group and left the large grouping off the battlefield in the hands of an idiot AI. Both armies wound up destroyed in a shambolic encounter.

Can't recall a rule over this, though there probably is: the key when moving your armies is to ensure that he can't reach your smaller army from his city/town. Namely, don't move the smaller army into a "besieging" position. Rather, move it behind your main army or adjacent to it so that he can't attack it, but when he attacks your main army, it is still can back up your main army in the battle.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2006, 12:17:59 pm »
Can't recall a rule over this, though there probably is: the key when moving your armies is to ensure that he can't reach your smaller army from his city/town. Namely, don't move the smaller army into a "besieging" position. Rather, move it behind your main army or adjacent to it so that he can't attack it, but when he attacks your main army, it is still can back up your main army in the battle.

That makes a lot of sense. What annoyed me was the big army had already been in place besieging before the hapless reserves even arrived. I guess the besieged army made the decision for me by attacking the smaller force. What's irksome is that the computer then decided the other army wasn't even in position.

The computer knows your cruel cold hearted approach to military victory and was wary of being responsible for thousands of deaths rather than 100's by allocating them to your iron grip.

I'm taking it to a whole new level. When I moved my capital recently 3 provinces had the temerity to revolt against my benovelent despotism. Now I have to faff around an area of the map long since conquered and delay my triumphant procession into Rome whilst I deal with the rebel scum. They've left me little choice and there will be no mercy...

:)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2006, 12:33:31 pm »
;D

all Hail Darth Armin
Yep.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2006, 12:45:50 pm »
;D

all Hail Darth Armin

I thought that was a Grand Moff Tarkin line but you got the ref anyway. ;)

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2006, 12:55:56 pm »
Grand Matt Tarkin:

I know that when the order of battle screen pops up, there is a "check box" that appears next to the various armies under your control.

this would allow you to control two different armies in one battle, although there is a limit to the number of units you can control at any one time in such a scenario; the other reinforcements stand frustratingly off the map until you have worn away units from your first army.

the screen that compares the two commanders and the armies under their control is the one i'm on about, right before you click to go into the actual tactical battle.

i've not played RTW in quite a while; if i can get a new game started today, i'll try to get a screenshot and post...

The missus and i have been enjoying the first season of Rome in recent days; a campaign of RTW would be entirely apropos...

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2006, 01:24:00 pm »
I love the tv series Rome, absolutely top class.

In the game Rome, I got stuck at around 6 provinces for a while, but I'm starting to spread again. I have the Barbarian expansion thing as well, but it's not installed. Should I bother?

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2006, 02:01:28 am »
I love the tv series Rome, absolutely top class.

In the game Rome, I got stuck at around 6 provinces for a while, but I'm starting to spread again. I have the Barbarian expansion thing as well, but it's not installed. Should I bother?

Yeah, Barbarian Invasion is worth the installation: for one thing you won't have to deal with city upkeep for a long time in BI if you are playing one of the hording armies. You also get to cut through most of Europe like a scythe through wheat. Most battles are over fairly quickly as the hordes have huge numbers of calvary...not even the well organised Roman armies are a match for a well handled Steppe-horde army.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2006, 03:11:51 pm »
Started Medieval II last night. 6 hours later tried to look up from screen but neck had frozen. Fuckin tops!
Yep.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2006, 04:45:03 pm »
Looking forward to Med2, hopefully Father Christmas is bringing it.

Really enjoyed the Seleucids, different fighting with Phalanx troops, they're a bit clumsy but do pin down enemy infantry whilst you wheel the cavalry round them. Now playing the Parthians and finding it much more difficult, have also whacked up the difificulty level as the Seleucids went a bit too easily.