Author Topic: Standing responsibly  (Read 5699 times)

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
Standing responsibly
« on: September 24, 2021, 04:59:01 pm »

"I'm pretty sure the people are now responsible enough to do it in the right way," said Klopp.

"The stadiums are completely different to the time when really sad, sad things happened."

As an eight year old kid I was responsible enough to stand at matches in the right way, so not happy with that. If anybody else came out with that, the Twitter Fam would be all over him, demanding an apology. Not after one like, but surprised he said it and the comms team didn't pick it up.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
Re: Standing responsibly
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 05:14:02 pm »

"I'm pretty sure the people are now responsible enough to do it in the right way," said Klopp.

"The stadiums are completely different to the time when really sad, sad things happened."

As an eight year old kid I was responsible enough to stand at matches in the right way, so not happy with that. If anybody else came out with that, the Twitter Fam would be all over him, demanding an apology. Not after one like, but surprised he said it and the comms team didn't pick it up.

Dunno, just possible he meant those in charge of designing stadia and crowd safety as much as the crowds themselves. Like, everyone concerned.

Think he was just making a comment to raise the possibility of a return to standing at matches, not solely to blame the spectators who used to stand.
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 05:26:02 pm »
We stood responsibly at some really shit grounds. He could have meant the people designing the grounds, I suppose. But doesn't read well.

Can you imagine the reaction if Solskjaer or Guardiola had said it?

Could you imagine Benitez even saying that?

Don't want to see a big apology or anything but someone needs to pull him up on it, and have a word.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 05:31:32 pm »
Good lord
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 05:32:38 pm »
I’m pretty sure he means football stadia are just safer places to be now
YNWA

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 05:38:15 pm »
Yeah, I get its a tense subject but it feels like you're looking for offense in an innocuous comment.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 05:41:06 pm »
Sometimes someone says something that isn't meant the way it reads. This is one of those instances. Not sure I'd be up in arms if Solksjaer or Guardiola said it either.

The "Twitter Fam" are generally a bunch of 15 year old wankers, but sensible people can see there is no offence meant in Klopp's words.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Rafas3leggedtable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 05:45:16 pm »
Saw these comments earlier and initially thought it didnt read well.
But come on, this guy hasnt got a hurtful bone in his body. It has possibly come across poorly as a headline statement but the more I read it I can aee it was aimed at the planning/stadia.
Been responsible was about been sensitive and how the safe standing is implemented responsibly. From both the planning and design.
Nothing to see here.
The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 06:01:39 pm »
Yeah, I get its a tense subject but it feels like you're looking for offense in an innocuous comment.
Same.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 06:02:44 pm »
Sometimes someone says something that isn't meant the way it reads. This is one of those instances. Not sure I'd be up in arms if Solksjaer or Guardiola said it either.

The "Twitter Fam" are generally a bunch of 15 year old wankers, but sensible people can see there is no offence meant in Klopp's words.

Having read the whole interview he gave, I think its obvious he meant generally and it wasn't an insinuation of anyone. It was mentioned in context of how stadiums are now being designed as well.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 06:04:11 pm »
To me he was talking about the policing and management of the fans, plus modern designs and safety standards.

Offline The-Originals

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 06:06:09 pm »

you know what he means. pack it in
Allez Allez Allez.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 06:12:39 pm »
To me he was talking about the policing and management of the fans, plus modern designs and safety standards.

This is exactly what he was taking about
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 06:28:02 pm »
I think some forget English isn't his first language as well. See his comment about Naby kicking the grass when he probably meant the ground.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 06:36:56 pm »

absolutely. 

He was asked a question in a press conference about this generally, so not sure how this interpretation is the one put out here, plus not like he got to sit down and pre-record something till he got the right words.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 06:41:54 pm »
I wish people wouldn't take offense at everything these days.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 06:43:44 pm »

As someone who was badly affected by Hillsborough I don't have any problem with Klopp's words.

Don't get where you are coming from to be honest.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2021, 06:47:40 pm »
Come on, we all know Klopp and we know that it’s not meant in a bad way. I can see what others have said tho, if the same words came out of a rival managers mouth, or someone in government, then I’m sure people would think differently.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2021, 06:49:36 pm »
While not wishing to be critical of anyone who sees it differently, I don't have an issue with those comments by Klopp.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2021, 06:57:58 pm »
As someone who was badly affected by Hillsborough I don't have any problem with Klopp's words.

Don't get where you are coming from to be honest.

He seems to be assuming Klopp meant the fans when he says “people” when in all likelihood he means the people in charge of stadium safety, policing, etc.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Red-4-Ever

• Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2021, 07:00:29 pm »
This is an emotive issue and I can understand lots of reds, particularly Liverpool born ones, might be on their guard considering the stitch up job post-Hillsborough and the general attitude towards the city from the Tories and the like. But I can't believe for a second, considering how he's handled himself up to now, that Klopp was in any way having a dig a football fans, nevermind Liverpool supporters. C'mon, it's just not him.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 07:07:52 pm by Red-4-Ever »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2021, 07:03:52 pm »
I can understand lots of reds, particularly Liverpool born ones, might be on their guard considering the stitch up job post-Hillsborough and the general attitude towards the city from the Tories and the like. But I can't believe for a second, considering how he's handled himself up to now, that Klopp was in anyway having a dig a football fans, nevermind Liverpool supporters. C'mon, it's just not him.

does that even need to be said? Good grief!

He answered a question generally on the fly in a live press conference about safe standing. There’s nothing more to it than that.

Offline Red-4-Ever

• Anny Roader
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2021, 07:06:55 pm »
Well it appears it does considering the op!

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2021, 07:17:12 pm »
When taken out of context it is a poor choice of phrase by Jurgen. If you take it in context then there is little wrong with what he has said. Personally I think it says far more about people who will deliberately take it out of context than it does about Jurgen.

There are sad trolls on social media and headline writers out there who will look to twist anything.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2021, 07:50:15 pm »
https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1MnxnkYBeaBKO?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1441338349642412035%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.football365.com%2Fnews%2Fliverpool-boss-klopp-in-favour-of-prem-safe-standing-trial

I thought it was a really odd thing to say and it jumped out of me and I got a rush of blood to my head. I couldn't see anything beyond him suggesting people weren't standing responsibly back in the day.

Listening carefully, he kind of mumbles something about testing, then leads onto saying what I quoted. So yeah, I think he was on about authorities, etc.

But anybody suggesting I was looking to take offence, know fuck all about me.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2021, 08:12:57 pm »
But I can't believe for a second, considering how he's handled himself up to now, that Klopp was in any way having a dig a football fans, nevermind Liverpool supporters. C'mon, it's just not him.

I didn't for one second think he was having a dig a Liverpool supporters. I thought he'd phrased something extremely badly and thought he'd need to be briefed by the comms team.

I was at Hillsborough, but I don't think I'm a victim, I was largely unaffected (which is something that I occasionally find weird). But there's people I know who were affected far more than me that could be upset, without trying hard to take offence - like some suggesting I was.

The responsibility of the Liverpool manger stretches much further than building a great team, and thought he'd made a mistake. Not something worthy of a big apology. Just a briefing on language and tone.

But it was me who made a mistake - after calming down a bit and listening again I think he was talking about the different authorities. I can be a bit touchy - end thread.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2021, 08:15:39 pm »
Prob a lesson to not be offended on other's behalf.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2021, 08:20:46 pm »
https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1MnxnkYBeaBKO?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1441338349642412035%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.football365.com%2Fnews%2Fliverpool-boss-klopp-in-favour-of-prem-safe-standing-trial

I thought it was a really odd thing to say and it jumped out of me and I got a rush of blood to my head. I couldn't see anything beyond him suggesting people weren't standing responsibly back in the day.

Listening carefully, he kind of mumbles something about testing, then leads onto saying what I quoted. So yeah, I think he was on about authorities, etc.

But anybody suggesting I was looking to take offence, know fuck all about me.

I'll be honest mate, we weren't always when you look back and the design of the terraces didn't help. My Ma used to have kittens when I was a young teen and they'd show the Kop on MOTD and I'd say Ma I'm in the middle of that melee and I fucking loved it even though it was crazy, I didn't want her to ban me or our kid, so I never told her about getting squashed against a barrier so hard as we scored I puked my guts up, puking and celebrating wasn't easy, or having to stand in front of my 10 yr old brother as we bounced behind a barrier one time. After that we always stood backs to a barrier. Then you had all the fighting and shit going off at all the grounds across the country, Millwall pitch invasions, fences going up, so if he did mean that he wasn't wrong.

Just watched it and I do think he is referring to everyone, from the Police to the supporters, to the designers of the stadiums. Times have changed and its time to test it.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2021, 08:25:16 pm »

Well, I was offended. It's difficult to explain what I mean.

It's more of a lesson in not posting whilst having a rush of blood to my head. End thread.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 08:37:08 pm by Billy Elliot »

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2021, 09:42:43 pm »

I think that is very harsh Craig. I know it was before your time mate but it is still very much a raw nerve for a lot of us.

The fans who were at Hillsborough have had so much shit thrown at them that it is perfectly understandable to be sensitive or oversensitive to comments about fan behaviour.

We had the whole establishment peddling the lie that we were to blame for effectively killing our own. A lie that was perpetuated by both the media and other fans. We have spent decades trying to clear our name, whilst scum bags have tried to twist every comment to perpetuate the lies that were told in the aftermath.

It was bad enough witnessing the disaster at first hand without being falsely accused of causing it.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2021, 09:46:26 pm »
I'll be honest mate, we weren't always when you look back and the design of the terraces didn't help. My Ma used to have kittens when I was a young teen and they'd show the Kop on MOTD and I'd say Ma I'm in the middle of that melee and I fucking loved it even though it was crazy, I didn't want her to ban me or our kid, so I never told her about getting squashed against a barrier so hard as we scored I puked my guts up, puking and celebrating wasn't easy, or having to stand in front of my 10 yr old brother as we bounced behind a barrier one time. After that we always stood backs to a barrier. Then you had all the fighting and shit going off at all the grounds across the country, Millwall pitch invasions, fences going up, so if he did mean that he wasn't wrong.

Just watched it and I do think he is referring to everyone, from the Police to the supporters, to the designers of the stadiums. Times have changed and its time to test it.

I was in the Kop on the night of the Ajax game. It pissed down outside and before kick off a fog developed off the backs of the soaked fans. Loads were carried out.

When I got home, pissed off that were hadn't overcome a 5-1 deficiency I couldn't understand why they were worried.

Everyone, fans, clubs, police had a more blasé attitude to crowd safety.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2021, 09:47:36 pm »
I think that is very harsh Craig. I know it was before your time mate but it is still very much a raw nerve for a lot of us.

He said it himself in the post before my reply.

Also, whilst I was too young to go I wasn’t too young to know my Dad, Grandad and Aunt were there, or my Mum worrying about them - so please don’t assume to know how it has touched me and what I understand.

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2021, 09:48:13 pm »
I prefer standing irresponsibly.

In my clown shoes.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2021, 09:55:35 pm »
He said it himself in the post before my reply.

Also, whilst I was too young to go I wasn’t too young to know my Dad, Grandad and Aunt were there, or my Mum worrying about them - so please don’t assume to know how it has touched me and what I understand.

If you understood Craig you wouldn't have posted 'Prob a lesson to not be offended on other's behalf.' to someone who was there and witnessed the disaster and even worse the aftermath.

You know one of the people who was falsely accused of killing their own.

Margaret Aspinall "I'd like it to be known, all over the world, that our fans played no part whatsoever in the deaths of the 96 or the injured.

"The only thing that we've got that we can say proudly for them is we got them exonerated.

"All the world knows now that our fans played no part in what happened that day."

May I suggest if you want to reply then you take it to PM please mate.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 10:01:26 pm by Al 666 »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2021, 09:59:37 pm »
Snip

This is why I said what I said.

But there's people I know who were affected far more than me that could be upset, without trying hard to take offence - like some suggesting I was.

May I suggest that next time just don’t assume to know what I feel. Or better yet, don’t bother to reply to me at all. It’s one thing for you to have a bit of a thing for me in threads about the owners, it’s a total other for you to single my post out on this subject to have a pop at.

Please don't bother replying or taking it to DM.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2021, 10:03:41 pm »
This is why I said what I said.

May I suggest that next time just don’t assume to know what I feel. Or better yet, don’t bother to reply to me at all. It’s one thing for you to have a bit of a thing for me in threads about the owners, it’s a total other for you to single my post out on this subject to have a pop at.

Please don't bother replying or taking it to DM.

Margaret Aspinall "I'd like it to be known, all over the world, that our fans played no part whatsoever in the deaths of the 96 or the injured.

"The only thing that we've got that we can say proudly for them is we got them exonerated.

"All the world knows now that our fans played no part in what happened that day."

Not arsed about point scoring but I think it is pretty clear that you owe Billy Elliot an apology.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2021, 10:05:02 pm »
Do fuck off Al.