Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 278950 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2760 on: January 30, 2022, 06:14:56 pm »
Yep, went well, saw a lot on the list, wish I could get Chaffinches round here though.

One of the most pleasing things for me this year is the regularity of seeing a pair of Jays. For years they've been just autumn visitors but they are definitely settled in one of next doors big trees. One was right up to the patio this morning, I've never been so close to one. Lovely.

Always nice to see a splash of colour.

Spotted 4 or 5 goldfinches in our garden the other day, hadn’t seen them in a while. Do they go somewhere warmer for winter?

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2761 on: January 30, 2022, 06:16:36 pm »
We were completely overtaken by sparrows! About 20 of them at a time (quite hard to count), and they always seem to be followed by a large entourage of pigeons. Also had some blackbirds facing off, great tits checking out the nestbox, blue tits, magpies and the robin dropped by. Goldfinches came later in the day so weren't in the count.

Last week we had a greater spotted woodpecker on the fat ball feeder for a couple of days running which is a first, we have a green that comes by from time to time but have only seen the greater spotted at a distance previously.

Used to have loads of chaffinches but have only seen one or two in the last year or so.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2762 on: January 30, 2022, 06:24:07 pm »
Yep, went well, saw a lot on the list, wish I could get Chaffinches round here though.

One of the most pleasing things for me this year is the regularity of seeing a pair of Jays. For years they've been just autumn visitors but they are definitely settled in one of next doors big trees. One was right up to the patio this morning, I've never been so close to one. Lovely.

That's good to hear John, Jays are beautiful I think Chaffinches have gone down in population. I haven't seen one since I've moved from my old place about seven years ago. That's a bit shocking.  :-\
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2763 on: January 30, 2022, 07:46:00 pm »

Spotted 4 or 5 goldfinches in our garden the other day, hadn’t seen them in a while. Do they go somewhere warmer for winter?
I don't think so Nick, mine seem to have hung around. There was a splendid group of about 12 on Friday.
One of the things I'll miss when I start going back to work 1 or 2 days a week now (and my early morning run).

Offline gary75

• Despite all his care, he suffers from a sticky ring.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2764 on: January 30, 2022, 08:16:19 pm »
I saw, what looked like  a white owl the other morning (it certainly wasn't a dove) at 3am. Around 3 months ago, I spotted a similar bird about 5 miles away, around the same time of night, could it be the same bird as I'm not sure how far they travel from their nest.
I also saw another one early in the morning,  but this was way down south, am I just lucky to witness them, or are their numbers increasing?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 08:18:52 pm by gary75 »

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2765 on: January 30, 2022, 08:22:59 pm »
Keep dixxie for it gary, see if you can get a pic. I've only seen an Owl once and separately heard one once from here.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2766 on: January 30, 2022, 08:33:33 pm »
Always nice to see a splash of colour.

Some goldfinches migrate for the winter Nick but some don't.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2767 on: January 30, 2022, 08:44:18 pm »
Some goldfinches migrate for the winter Nick but some don't.
It seems the discerning Goldfinches in the leafy suburbs of south Liverpool, from the area where John Lennon and Paul McCartney resided choose to hang around here Nick.
Never mind, yours'll return soon mate.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2768 on: January 30, 2022, 08:47:27 pm »
I saw, what looked like  a white owl the other morning (it certainly wasn't a dove) at 3am. Around 3 months ago, I spotted a similar bird about 5 miles away, around the same time of night, could it be the same bird as I'm not sure how far they travel from their nest.
I also saw another one early in the morning,  but this was way down south, am I just lucky to witness them, or are their numbers increasing?

During the breeding season, Barn Owls have a hunting area of around 3kms from the nest site.  They haven't started breeding yet but they will be heading back to their territory to hopefully meet up with their partners who they've been separated from since Autumn.

Tawnies don't really stray very far from their home turf and as far as I know they don't pair for life like Barn Owls.

It's hard to say which type of owl it was as they both appear white in flight but if it was at 3am I'd hazard a guess it was a Tawny as they're the nocturnal ones.

Barn Owls are diurnal but hunt mainly at dusk and dawn rather than fully night time, although they are active anytime when feeding young or after a prolonged spell of wet weather.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 08:49:44 pm by reddebs »

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2769 on: January 30, 2022, 09:10:10 pm »

I hate to say this Gary but he’s coming to take your soul.

Offline gary75

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2770 on: January 31, 2022, 07:56:08 pm »
Cheers Debs, was just great to see, even if it was for  brief moment as it flew past the window, that's probably the best part of being out and about at that time of day!

Rawk took my soul the day I signed up nick!

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2771 on: January 31, 2022, 08:00:26 pm »
Cheers Debs, was just great to see, even if it was for  brief moment as it flew past the window, that's probably the best part of being out and about at that time of day!

Rawk took my soul the day I signed up nick!

Couldn't agree more Gary and it's becoming more of a rarity than seeing buzzards, red kites and other birds of prey.

It was the complete opposite when I was a kid.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2772 on: February 16, 2022, 02:04:33 pm »
I saw a pheasant in flight less than a mile from Putney high street. Doubly unusual as I've never seen one in nearby Richmond park.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2773 on: February 16, 2022, 02:53:59 pm »
It was nice yesterday. We were at The Harp pub right on the Dee marshes at Neston mid-afternoon and there was a Short-eared Owl hunting right in front of us. So close you could see his face/eyes quite easily. Another one appeared nearby too.

Later, we went for dinner at The Boathouse in Parkgate and there was either another one or the same one as earlier hunting there too. 🦉
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2774 on: February 16, 2022, 03:06:54 pm »
I hate to say this Gary but he’s coming to take your soul.

I'd let him if he let me have a good look at him first.

I reckon I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've seen a wild owl in Britain - as opposed to hearing them which is common enough. A barn owl in flight on a summer's day in Oxfordshire many years ago. (That feels like an Edward Thomas poem now). A friend's garden in Leeds where a Tawny had a nest (would never have seen it but for the help of said friend). A Tawny owl sleeping (I think) on a branch of a tree literally just above my head in Fairy Glen woods in Old Colwyn (still the most magical experience). And an other barn owl on a walk in the Cotswolds during the first Covid summer.

I'd like to see more. I totally understand why some people are obsessed with them.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2775 on: February 16, 2022, 03:12:01 pm »

I reckon I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've seen a wild owl in Britain - as opposed to hearing them which is common enough. A barn owl in flight on a summer's day in Oxfordshire many years ago. (That feels like an Edward Thomas poem now). A friend's garden in Leeds where a Tawny had a nest (would never have seen it but for the help of said friend). A Tawny owl sleeping (I think) on a branch of a tree literally just above my head in Fairy Glen woods in Old Colwyn (still the most magical experience). And an other barn owl on a walk in the Cotswolds during the first Covid summer.

I'd like to see more. I totally understand why some people are obsessed with them.

Best I've seen was an Eagle Owl, huge wingspan.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2776 on: February 21, 2022, 04:28:54 pm »
Sat outside a little bar in Rome just off a piazza and our mates the ring necked parakeets just bombed past.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2777 on: February 21, 2022, 04:55:24 pm »
Driving back from Scotland on Saturday and a huge Buzzard flew across the motorway, right in front of the truck - it was about 9/10ft off the ground, so was right at my eye level as it crossed me.

I think I saw a Kite flying into a tree trunk too, it had a light stripe on the top of each wing and was smaller than a Buzzard
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2778 on: February 21, 2022, 06:27:13 pm »
The male Mandarin duck is back in Sefton Park. 🤗
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2779 on: February 21, 2022, 07:50:05 pm »

Owls are brilliant. I'm pretty sure there is a tawny around us at the moment, I hear the hooting every now and then. I've only seen a barn owl once that was coming back from a hospital visit, and one flew over the car. It was like a ghost gliding over the top of us, it came from nowhere. They are such beautiful birds.

Offline gary75

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2780 on: February 21, 2022, 08:01:34 pm »

It's a long shot Yorkie,   but my sighting was in south Leeds, and then on the a650 at Carr gate (near the garden centre)

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2781 on: February 21, 2022, 08:05:29 pm »
I spent 6 months in Colombia last year and I had taken an interest in watching all the amazing birds (the feathered ones were alright too  ;D ).

I'm heading to Mexico for a few months and then back to Colombia for the second half of the year. I'm definitely going to take a more active interest in it this time around.

I can't recommend Colombia enough. The colours on some of these things would blow your mind. Spectacular.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2782 on: February 21, 2022, 08:18:34 pm »
Owls are brilliant. I'm pretty sure there is a tawny around us at the moment, I hear the hooting every now and then. I've only seen a barn owl once that was coming back from a hospital visit, and one flew over the car. It was like a ghost gliding over the top of us, it came from nowhere. They are such beautiful birds.

We got to fly this Pharaoh Eagle Owl when we went to Dubai in 2019, these are my lads holding it up.

I should have flown an Owl when I visited Gauntlet, but it had eaten a rat just before we were due to take it out, so that stopped that.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2783 on: February 21, 2022, 08:22:38 pm »
The male Mandarin duck is back in Sefton Park. 🤗
Ooh lovely mate :) Could be the one from Caldies, I haven't seen that for ages.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2784 on: February 21, 2022, 08:24:34 pm »
We got to fly this Pharaoh Eagle Owl when we went to Dubai in 2019, these are my lads holding it up.

I should have flown an Owl when I visited Gauntlet, but it had eaten a rat just before we were due to take it out, so that stopped that.

That is amazing he looks one big fellah.  :o

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2785 on: February 21, 2022, 08:27:54 pm »
It's a long shot Yorkie,   but my sighting was in south Leeds, and then on the a650 at Carr gate (near the garden centre)

You think it might be the same one? Wouldn't that be something.

This fella was in a garden not too far from Roundhay park. The lad was there in the morning when we all had brekker. We buzzed off to the Test match and the lad was in the same spot when we got back. Unforgettable.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2786 on: February 21, 2022, 08:57:54 pm »
That is amazing he looks one big fellah.  :o

He was big, about 18 inches long from head to tail, so about the same size as a Harris Hawk and he was quite heavy I seem to remember, about a couple of kilos, which was heavier than the Harris. I remember the kids struggling to keep their arms out.

These are 3 Owls that were at Gauntlet, first one is a Eurasian Eagle Owl

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2787 on: February 21, 2022, 09:06:41 pm »
He was big, about 18 inches long from head to tail, so about the same size as a Harris Hawk and he was quite heavy I seem to remember, about a couple of kilos, which was heavier than the Harris. I remember the kids struggling to keep their arms out.

These are 3 Owls that were at Gauntlet, first one is a Eurasian Eagle Owl

It sounds like the big bugger I had on my arm. They assured me she wouldn't stay long, but she then decided to stay on my arm and I could feel it getting weaker as she stayed there. In the end she took the hint and she flew off.  ;D

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2788 on: February 21, 2022, 09:29:23 pm »
It sounds like the big bugger I had on my arm. They assured me she wouldn't stay long, but she then decided to stay on my arm and I could feel it getting weaker as she stayed there. In the end she took the hint and she flew off.  ;D

;D

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2789 on: February 21, 2022, 09:34:38 pm »

Did the owl arrive on scooter?

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2790 on: February 21, 2022, 10:05:16 pm »
Did the owl arrive on scooter?

Yeah, he was a special guest in the parrot show later on

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2791 on: February 27, 2022, 10:00:16 am »
Spring has finally arrived today.

I've had the joy of listening to the sweet tune of a song thrush mere feet away from me.

Blue tits and sparrows squabbling over the best mate and nest boxes.

Hedgerows alive with the mating calls of wrens, robins and dunnocks.

The daffodils are opening in readiness for St. David's day on Tuesday.

The sun's out, the sky is blue so fuck you Putin trying to put everyone on a massive downer with your twattish aggression.

Big up to nature 💪

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2792 on: February 27, 2022, 12:21:49 pm »
Lovely stuff Debs.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that two Jays had become frequent visitors and I suspect they're planning to nest in next doors tree. Last week there was a huge commotion by Magpies trying to chase them away, there's loads of Maggies round here.
Anyway, thankfully the Jays are still around so hopefully I'll be seeing more of them.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2793 on: February 27, 2022, 01:25:16 pm »
Lovely stuff Debs.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that two Jays had become frequent visitors and I suspect they're planning to nest in next doors tree. Last week there was a huge commotion by Magpies trying to chase them away, there's loads of Maggies round here.
Anyway, thankfully the Jays are still around so hopefully I'll be seeing more of them.

Jays are feisty birds themselves John so should see off the magpies no problem.

We have the occasional Jay but not that many crows or magpies thankfully.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2794 on: February 28, 2022, 03:27:09 pm »
Have had a female blackcap eating my suet balls for the last couple of weeks. Lovely little bird. And just now a green woodpecker on the lawn looking for insects. Cheered me up a bit.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #2795 on: February 28, 2022, 03:55:16 pm »
I put up a bird feeder over the winter but it was being attacked by what I think was a jackdaw so I bought some of the caged ones. Now nothing gets in but the little birds and the jackdaw has cleared off after a few failed attempts.

I've got 5 feeders now with a mix of seed, suet balls, and peanuts.

Our garden is full of magpies and big fat woodpigeons though, I wish they would find somewhere else. There's no food for them apart from what the little birds drop.
Legacy fan

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2796 on: February 28, 2022, 08:09:46 pm »
I put up a bird feeder over the winter but it was being attacked by what I think was a jackdaw so I bought some of the caged ones. Now nothing gets in but the little birds and the jackdaw has cleared off after a few failed attempts.

I've got 5 feeders now with a mix of seed, suet balls, and peanuts.

Our garden is full of magpies and big fat woodpigeons though, I wish they would find somewhere else. There's no food for them apart from what the little birds drop.

Yeah you’ll have to get used to the bigger birds like wood pigeons and magpies scooping up all the droppings. In a way though they are doing you a favour as it’s not unknown for rats to hang around the base of feeders.
Some smaller ones like dunnocks and robins don’t tend to use the feeders instead find it easier scavenging at the base.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #2797 on: February 28, 2022, 08:20:12 pm »
Some smaller ones like dunnocks and robins don’t tend to use the feeders instead find it easier scavenging at the base.

We've had robins using the cage feeders, they are small enough to get through the bars and seem very happy with them.

A blackbird was trying to squeeze through this afternoon but couldn't make it
Legacy fan

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2798 on: February 28, 2022, 08:25:41 pm »
I took down my bird feeder because of squirrels. Now I just have the one in my office window that they can't get to.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2799 on: March 8, 2022, 01:39:35 pm »
This RSPB document is a delight, tells what to expect this month from the summer migrants. I also learnt that the Great Tit is usually the first British based bird that begins to sing in the mornings (other than the robins).

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/natures-calendar-home/natures-calendar-march/?from=homepage