Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2866452 times)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Reply #29480 on: April 21, 2024, 10:19:58 pm »
How many of those were under the supervision of laptop Edwards? None I think.

We'll be riding high again soon, and there will be way fewer Endos or Gravenberch's in our near future I'd wager.

Hard to predict on Salah atm but it would seem a divorce this summer *might* suit all parties.
That was KH's point - we spent on players that didn't seem to fit us 100%.

I'd classify Endo as a success, considering he was a stop-gap buy intended for the Milner role; he was not first choice DM.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #29481 on: April 21, 2024, 10:29:09 pm »
Quote from: lionel_messias link=topic=335868.msg1941287 :o5#msg19412875 date=1713733008
How many of those were under the supervision of laptop Edwards? None I think.

We'll be riding high again soon, and there will be way fewer Endos or Gravenberch's in our near future I'd wager.

Hard to predict on Salah atm but it would seem a divorce this summer *might* suit all parties.

Yes, because Edwards always got it right...4
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29482 on: Yesterday at 08:24:37 am »
Yes, because Edwards always got it right...4

TBF it was a pretty spectacular hit rate on transfers.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29483 on: Yesterday at 08:42:52 am »
32 in June if we could get a big fee from Saudi circa £100m I think he'll be gone.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #29484 on: Yesterday at 08:56:22 am »
Nunez, Ramsey, Carvalho, Gakpo, Endo, Gravenberch, Mac Allister and Szobozslai are our transfers with an outlay of over £230m. At this moment I dont think we can say its money proven well spent. Hence why I am reluctant to the idea of selling top players until we prove we can get our transfer mojo back.
Too early to call IMO.
Endo and Mac have been fantastic value for money, top signings.
Gakpo has also been good.
Szobo and Nunez are talented but havent really found their feet yet. I think they have the tools to become world class though.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29485 on: Yesterday at 10:09:30 am »
Too early to call IMO.
Endo and Mac have been fantastic value for money, top signings.
Gakpo has also been good.
Szobo and Nunez are talented but havent really found their feet yet. I think they have the tools to become world class though.

It's absolute mental to me that someone who has got a goal involvement every 99 mins this season (Nunez) whilst hitting the post a record number of times (i.e. with 1% better finishing would be the best in the league) is still being seen as  "hasn't really found their feet".  Mane never got close to a sub 100 minute goal involvement, for instance (his best is one every 110 mins whilst outperforming his xG - he only outperformed his xG twice in 6 seasons, as well, so its not like Mane was consistently better than his xG) - yet many on here would still consider him as being one of our best players in our best team in the PL era.

Is it that Nunez cost (significantly) more than our usual 35ish million we have spent on all the rest of our attackers, meaning that people see his misses and hitting of the post as being worse - and that they have higher expectations as well?  He has literally played the equivalent of 21 full games and has 11 goals and 8 assists - again, comparing him to Mane after 2 seasons, he had 49 full games of minutes, and had 23 goals and 12 assists (if we include Nunez last season, he is up to 39 games, with 20 and 11 - so 4 fewer goal involvements in 10 fewer games, playing last season in a much more dysfunctional side).  It is clear he has made a step forward this year with his all round game, as well as his scoring and assisting, whilst still missing a decent chunk of chances.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29486 on: Yesterday at 11:26:45 am »
It's absolute mental to me that someone who has got a goal involvement every 99 mins this season (Nunez) whilst hitting the post a record number of times (i.e. with 1% better finishing would be the best in the league) is still being seen as  "hasn't really found their feet".  Mane never got close to a sub 100 minute goal involvement, for instance (his best is one every 110 mins whilst outperforming his xG - he only outperformed his xG twice in 6 seasons, as well, so its not like Mane was consistently better than his xG) - yet many on here would still consider him as being one of our best players in our best team in the PL era.

Is it that Nunez cost (significantly) more than our usual 35ish million we have spent on all the rest of our attackers, meaning that people see his misses and hitting of the post as being worse - and that they have higher expectations as well?  He has literally played the equivalent of 21 full games and has 11 goals and 8 assists - again, comparing him to Mane after 2 seasons, he had 49 full games of minutes, and had 23 goals and 12 assists (if we include Nunez last season, he is up to 39 games, with 20 and 11 - so 4 fewer goal involvements in 10 fewer games, playing last season in a much more dysfunctional side).  It is clear he has made a step forward this year with his all round game, as well as his scoring and assisting, whilst still missing a decent chunk of chances.

If he had a goal involvement every 140 minutes but had missed half the number of 'big chances' that he's missed, people would be happier. Does that make sense? No.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29487 on: Yesterday at 12:02:15 pm »

Under Klopp*

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #29488 on: Yesterday at 12:04:31 pm »

Since Klopp they improved, but how much has that to do with Klopp's ability to get the most out of players?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #29489 on: Yesterday at 12:10:30 pm »
That Salah we have come to know has gone for good. He might still provide goals and assist here and there but it will become less and less regular.

I think we will have to come to terms that his time with us is ending. We have got 8 amazing years from him and that is more than anyone could wished for.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29490 on: Yesterday at 12:15:58 pm »
Since Klopp they improved, but how much has that to do with Klopp's ability to get the most out of players?

We'll soon find out, it's impossible to tell as Klopp arriving meant Rodgers leaving, what is clear though is Firmino who Rodgers didn't rate or know where to play clearly was worldclass talent spotting.

Offline johnathank

• youverymuch
  • Main Stander
« Reply #29491 on: Yesterday at 12:24:04 pm »
32 in June if we could get a big fee from Saudi circa £100m I think he'll be gone.
I see this as less and less likely. The bloom is off the Saudi rose a bit. I understand the appeal to a Muslim superstar will be stronger, but read some of Benzema’s comments.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #29492 on: Yesterday at 12:25:33 pm »

He has to want to go there.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #29493 on: Yesterday at 07:12:03 pm »

Lots of posts in here wanting him to go to Saudi as that's where we will get most dosh for him.  Accepting money of the despotic regime because they will pay more.  It's sportswashing.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29494 on: Yesterday at 08:13:32 pm »
Lots of posts in here wanting him to go to Saudi as that's where we will get most dosh for him.  Accepting money of the despotic regime because they will pay more.  It's sportswashing.
Stevie, Hendo, Boby, Fabinho...

Online Buster Gonad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #29495 on: Yesterday at 09:19:07 pm »
He has to want to go there.

Who wouldn't want to go to such a progressive and delightful utopia?

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #29496 on: Yesterday at 10:15:10 pm »
Who wouldn't want to go to such a progressive and delightful utopia?

His Muslim, its a different world to non Muslims.

Online Buster Gonad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #29497 on: Yesterday at 10:34:50 pm »
His Muslim, its a different world to non Muslims.

Bit of a broad stroke to assume all Muslims would be happy to live there though.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #29498 on: Yesterday at 11:06:17 pm »
Stevie, Hendo, Boby, Fabinho...
Most seem to accept stevie and hendo have tarnished their legacy. Stevie had already left us and hendo for the lbgtq+ issues.  Plenty seem OK with the dollars we did get though.  I get that we as fans can't do much about it.  Though we expect Newcastle fans to abandon their club.  I know being owned is a whole different kettle of fish. But there are fans that want salah to go to SA as they seemingly will give us most money.  Would rather take less and he went to a rival to be honest.  Obvs not city or Newcastle!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:07:50 pm by PaulF »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29499 on: Today at 01:31:47 am »
I'm atheist, so is China, guess I'll be moving there, then.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29500 on: Today at 02:17:10 am »
Most seem to accept stevie and hendo have tarnished their legacy. Stevie had already left us and hendo for the lbgtq+ issues.  Plenty seem OK with the dollars we did get though.  I get that we as fans can't do much about it.  Though we expect Newcastle fans to abandon their club.  I know being owned is a whole different kettle of fish. But there are fans that want salah to go to SA as they seemingly will give us most money.  Would rather take less and he went to a rival to be honest.  Obvs not city or Newcastle!
I see where you are coming from, but we hold many idealistic perceptions. Like in the past, "Alonso is a Basque, he won't go to Real", Hendo and Stevie examples above... But the reality is money talks. If we were to sell Salah, I'd want us to take the largest sum we can get, so we can be more efficient in rebuilding the team. As for his legacy, he should be the one worrying about that, not the fans. We will still have the Club to enjoy and support long after the current stars have moved on.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29501 on: Today at 12:30:56 pm »

Agree with this. Fuck Saudi. Would rather we never did any business with them no matter how much they're offering.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29502 on: Today at 12:34:03 pm »
Agree with this. Fuck Saudi. Would rather we never did any business with them no matter how much they're offering.

We already crossed that line with Henderson and Fabinho. If they come in with silly money he'll be sold it's as simple as that.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29503 on: Today at 12:34:48 pm »
We already crossed that line with Henderson and Fabinho. If they come in with silly money he'll be sold it's as simple as that.

Yeah for sure he will. I'd just rather we didn't.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #29504 on: Today at 03:17:41 pm »
This obsession of selling one of the best performers and a thorough professional who still delivers on the big stage in order to "reinvest" in the team is just bizarre to me. More so with the team in transition and Klopp leaving. There is just no need for a 'rushed' decision like this.

Perhaps I am getting too old for this shtick...

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #29505 on: Today at 04:25:52 pm »

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, if you were in the seat when a £100 million offer comes in, and you're looking at the potential budget for new manager you're responsible for fixing... Cannot possibly say "no" to that.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias