Author Topic: Lionel Messi  (Read 919054 times)

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
Re: Lionel Messi
« Reply #8080 on: March 4, 2019, 08:26:49 am »
After last night's Barcelona win away vs Real... which means Barcelona now lead the head-to-head by 96-95 (for the first time in 87 years)...

'Before Messi's debut, Barcelona had only a 19% win-rate at the Bernabéu, and the head-to-head was 87-66 in Madrid's favour. Between Messi's debut and now, Barcelona have a 55% win-rate at the Bernabéu, and the head-to-head is now 96-95 for Barça.' - https://twitter.com/2010MisterChip/status/1101968688314531840

It's a team game - but that's some change-around.
30 wins to 8 against Real???  :o I had no idea they were that dominant against them. I wish we had Messi playing for us  >:(

Offline FCukBarca Haw-Haw

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8081 on: March 4, 2019, 09:35:18 am »
The best there is, there was, there ever will be

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8082 on: March 4, 2019, 11:11:50 am »
30 wins to 8 against Real???  :o I had no idea they were that dominant against them. I wish we had Messi playing for us  >:(
In future, in case another Messi ever comes along, FIFA should introduce the law that no club is allowed to keep him for more than three years, in the interest of fairness, and no league, for more than six years.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8083 on: March 5, 2019, 12:53:34 am »
I don't think you even have to be a Barca or La Liga fan.  Just watching him play there's at least two if not three times a game at minimum where I just laugh at how ridiculous his play was which is what the game is supposed to be about.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8084 on: March 13, 2019, 10:56:26 pm »
Another 2 goals and 2 assists tonight, the guys just a different level. Makes the game look easy and i've never seen one player take on numerous players so often and consistently

World cup or no World Cup, he's the greatest of all time imo

His 2 tonight are World Class goals
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:58:54 pm by RyanBabel19 »

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8085 on: March 14, 2019, 12:27:56 am »
Another 2 goals and 2 assists tonight, the guys just a different level. Makes the game look easy and i've never seen one player take on numerous players so often and consistently

World cup or no World Cup, he's the greatest of all time imo

His 2 tonight are World Class goals

I agree, certainly the best player in the world and has been for some time.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #8086 on: March 14, 2019, 07:31:54 am »
That second goal against Lyon. I had to laugh.
Do people still call him one footed by the way?

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8087 on: March 14, 2019, 07:47:01 am »
That second goal against Lyon. I had to laugh.
Do people still call him one footed by the way?

He's deffo not one-footed (as seen in vid below) but the keeper should have stopped that second goal.  As much as the run for the second goal, the constant, ridiculous vision and passing from Leo in the Lyon game had me constantly smiling.  As BrandoLFC said, regardless of one's feelings towards Barca, watching the man play is simply a joy.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/c2mv7LtTMVA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/c2mv7LtTMVA</a>
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:50:17 am by Darren G »

Offline FCukBarca Haw-Haw

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8088 on: March 14, 2019, 08:48:32 am »
He definitely enjoys these CL nights and regularly appears to be more motivated to produce something memorable

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8089 on: March 14, 2019, 07:13:42 pm »
He's well on his way to reaching Sean Dundee levels of excellence

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8090 on: March 15, 2019, 04:00:19 am »

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #8091 on: March 17, 2019, 08:44:21 pm »

After his first goal away vs Real Betis tonight...

Messi goal on 18 mins - https://streamable.com/dpn5u & https://streamable.com/06sda & https://streamja.com/5wBp

'Lionel Messi has now scored 600 goals across all competitions for Barcelona's Club teams:

⚽️ Barcelona (589)
⚽️ Barcelona B (6)
⚽️ Barcelona C (5)'

^ https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/1107375733935128577

and then he scored another - so 601 goals for Barcelona...

Messi 2nd goal on 45+2 mins - https://streamable.com/w5iur & https://streamable.com/kb2pj & https://streamja.com/0KNG

and

his hat-trick completed on 85 mins (602 Barcelona goals in 706 games) - https://streamable.com/rgsam & https://streamable.com/ll5hj & https://streamja.com/6w4m

followed by a standing ovation from the Betis crowd - https://mobile.twitter.com/ActualiteBarca/status/1107395521822494721 & https://streamable.com/zxkv9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Messi
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:57:55 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #8092 on: March 17, 2019, 09:30:13 pm »
Stop it.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8093 on: March 17, 2019, 09:31:09 pm »
That is fucking ridiculous, I'm half excited, half shitting myself at the thought of us playing these should we both go through. How do you stop him genuinely?

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8094 on: March 17, 2019, 09:33:20 pm »
Utter filth that. No idea how to stop him.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8095 on: March 17, 2019, 09:38:51 pm »
That is fucking ridiculous, I'm half excited, half shitting myself at the thought of us playing these should we both go through. How do you stop him genuinely?

Look at what Roma did last season and other sides that have faced him in recent years.

Offline elkun

• Kopite
« Reply #8096 on: March 17, 2019, 09:44:11 pm »
Look at what Roma did last season and other sides that have faced him in recent years.
i think the only person who can stop Messi is Messi himself. He sometimes can be soo lazy and uninterested. So hopefully he will have one of those days against us

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #8097 on: March 17, 2019, 09:45:11 pm »

What did Roma do ? They lost 3-1 away
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #8098 on: March 17, 2019, 09:51:40 pm »
Can’t believe they still haven’t got a decent song for him. Messi, Messi, Messi. I know players songs aren’t as common over there however he’s a slight exception.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #8099 on: March 17, 2019, 09:52:15 pm »
The only way to stop him is to foul him.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8100 on: March 17, 2019, 09:53:43 pm »
Whats Arbeloa doing these days?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8101 on: March 17, 2019, 09:56:10 pm »
What did Roma do ? They lost 3-1 away

They got through didn't they? Since we're talking about how to stop him over two legs whatever they did worked. It's a two legged affair.

Since Barca' last European Cup triumph, they've been eliminated by Juventus,Atletico and Roma.

And if we can't minimize his impact on the match we'll have to out-score him 

Online ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #8102 on: March 17, 2019, 10:02:49 pm »
Snap the bastard as he gets off the bus.  Just a thought....
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8103 on: March 17, 2019, 10:25:55 pm »
That 3rd goal  :lickin
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8104 on: March 17, 2019, 10:27:13 pm »
Unbelievable. Last week I was thinking Ronaldo was the greatest and then Leo does this.

On another planet. Never will see anything like it again

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8105 on: March 17, 2019, 10:47:16 pm »
That 3rd goal was so similar to Gerard’s against Luton in the cup (the one where Xabi scored form halfway)

Outrageous
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #8106 on: March 17, 2019, 10:50:36 pm »
Unbelievable. Last week I was thinking Ronaldo was the greatest and then Leo does this.

Eurgh, not even close
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8107 on: March 17, 2019, 11:03:23 pm »
That third, you just have to laugh dont you. You watch the last replay and for him to put it between the reach of the keeper and the bar from there with a first time finish, its just ridiculous

Nothing will change my belief that he's the greatest player ever

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8108 on: March 17, 2019, 11:20:11 pm »

I'm a huge admirer of Ronaldo but it's not close.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8109 on: March 17, 2019, 11:30:56 pm »
Ronaldo has done it in different leagues and has international honours. They are different and Leo is easier on the eye but Ronaldo is definitely up there

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8110 on: March 18, 2019, 12:56:29 am »
Really classy of the betis fans when he got his hattrick. Can't imagine that happening in the PL. Such a lovely goal.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8111 on: March 18, 2019, 01:10:26 am »
Really classy of the betis fans when he got his hattrick. Can't imagine that happening in the PL. Such a lovely goal.

Probably not these days, although we’ve never had a player as good as Messi at an English club so hard to know whether he would be overtly appreciated by fans here. Probably not though as you say. English football seems more tribal with a higher number of dickheads amongst the fanbases.

Would be interesting to know from older people though, was it like this in the past? Were the top players ever applauded by opposition fans? Dalglish? Best? Moore?

I know there was a bit of chat recently about the kop always applauding Banks but was that just a kop/keeper thing or was it widespread across football?

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #8112 on: March 18, 2019, 01:43:51 am »
Probably not these days, although we’ve never had a player as good as Messi at an English club so hard to know whether he would be overtly appreciated by fans here. Probably not though as you say. English football seems more tribal with a higher number of dickheads amongst the fanbases.

Would be interesting to know from older people though, was it like this in the past? Were the top players ever applauded by opposition fans? Dalglish? Best? Moore?

I know there was a bit of chat recently about the kop always applauding Banks but was that just a kop/keeper thing or was it widespread across football?

the Kop applauded Klinsmann after a brilliant game for Spurs in the FA cup

--- I really think that Messi has exhausted all superlatives. We're not going to realise the levels he achieved until he's retired and we never see anyone approaching his numbers or the consistency and genius beauty of his game again. would have been nice to see him play so you can tell your grandkids you saw Messi playing in the flesh once. Might be worth going to the Nou Camp before his twilight seasons come to an end, if we don't meet them in the Champions League at some point
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #8113 on: March 18, 2019, 02:54:01 am »
Imo, you just hope Messi has an off day or that you can outscore him.
We beat Real Madrid

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #8114 on: March 18, 2019, 03:05:57 am »

I remember us applauding teams off when they had a good game against us. I think that stopped around the late 90s, early 2000s, though? Not sure about individual players, except what goes down in folklore (Best, Moore, etc).

On another note, I'm glad I got to see Messi play in the flesh. Along with Thierry Henry, just watching him warm-up was a treat. Just seeing the class in how they worked with the ball without the pressure of a game, or defenders. Different gravy, as they say.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #8115 on: March 18, 2019, 03:25:45 am »
I like the fact that he is so physically small that he'll easily fit inside Virgil's back pocket without folding
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #8116 on: March 18, 2019, 04:10:07 am »
There's no way to stop him when he is on song absolutely no way... Just pray he has 2 off days if we meet them

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8117 on: March 18, 2019, 04:43:07 am »
I'm a huge admirer of Ronaldo but it's not close.

Nonsense. What Ronaldo achieved at Madrid, winning 4 CL titles in 5 years and always taking them to the Semi finals is unrivaled by Messi. You can see what happened to Madrid as soon as Ronaldo left. Humiliated and out in the Round of 16 just like they every season before Ronaldo joined.

Messi is easier on the eye but Ronaldo is more effective on the biggest stage.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #8118 on: March 18, 2019, 05:47:11 am »
Nonsense. What Ronaldo achieved at Madrid, winning 4 CL titles in 5 years and always taking them to the Semi finals is unrivaled by Messi. You can see what happened to Madrid as soon as Ronaldo left. Humiliated and out in the Round of 16 just like they every season before Ronaldo joined.

Messi is easier on the eye but Ronaldo is more effective on the biggest stage.

Ummmm
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8119 on: March 18, 2019, 08:12:14 am »
Is there even any doubt he is the GOAT?

He who fannies and dives about needs to first be discussed among the likes of Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Yashin, Zidane etc. before being discussed with Pele and Maradona before he even gets discussed with Messi.