Author Topic: Salif Diao  (Read 97965 times)

Offline Forbsie

• Aka Fourbees
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11th August 1977...Remember the Date
Re:PSG Want Salif Diao
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2003, 12:59:42 pm »
Rumours if you ask me......Salif will be going nowhere...still has plenty to offer The Reds.
If Kenny Dalglish had simply played football for Liverpool he would be an Anfield hero. However, the fact that he managed the club to even greater success guarantees him the status of a legend.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2003, 01:17:14 pm »
I think the answer as to why Diao was bought is Didi Hamann - when he was injured the previous season our defensive solidity evaporated.  Biscan was clearly not rated as ready to take his place plus there were rumours that Didi was unsettled following the Leverkusen substitution.

Couple that with the need to help Diouf integrate and the Diao transfer makes a lot more sense.  I don't think he's untalented and I don't think he's let us down.  I had my head in my hands at Bolton but thats because he's clearly not a central defender.  When played in his correct position he has been very solid and he did ok as an emergency RB.

We have depth in defensive midfielders at the moment so if he goes we're ok but I think he's a decent player.  If Didi leaves or is injured then I could see us regret losing him.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2003, 01:54:23 pm »
If they are going to offer us as much or even more than we paid for him last season then i think we should seriously consider it. without didi we already have the options of stevie g playing as dm with welsh, biscan and even carra available as backup so it isn't a position we are lacking even if he goes.

Offline Sami

• vaguely scandinavian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kome on pool!!!
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2003, 02:10:40 pm »
Don't want him to leave, he wasn't too bad last season, considering that it was his first in PL. He even scored once or twice...I think he could be a good replacement for Didi after this coming season :)
4-4-2 Sucks

Offline IrishRed

• Driven but can't drive...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2003, 02:20:00 pm »
don't think he will be leaving and he deserves this season to prove himself

however the temptation to get rid of players who haven't proved themselves is getting hard to resist.....
LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2003, 05:39:03 pm »
Not sure i agree with that one, although igor seems like the type that would take a beating for hours and hours and still keep getting up

igor is Cool Hand Luke!! Great film, hopefully great player!

Offline Colum

• I'm looking for a row to happily settle down with
  • Legacy Fan
  • No more YES men!!!
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2003, 07:05:20 pm »
Never understood the Diao signing myself. I think Igor is good cover for Hamann.

Yep.
"in a universe that defies description, all systems of belief can only be false." -spare

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2003, 09:56:22 pm »
Agree with Zach, never understood why we signed Diao.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2003, 10:22:16 pm »
Sell him, he's not going to win us the league.

After a 4 hour conversation about the situation with Tim Cross and ChrisR, we think Igor should be given much more of a chance.

Sell Salif, Vlad, Emile, Mellor, Cheyrou and break the bank for owen hargreaves.

The time has come to cull the squad and make those transfers which will take us to the next level. The fringe players litter our squad. while on the one hand its "depth" on the other it is all too frequent mediocrity.

Sell sell sell.
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2003, 11:50:54 pm »
Any decent offer and its  :wave :wave :wave

A walking red card IMO and its not as if we're short on defensive midfielders now is it  ;)
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Pheeny

« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2003, 11:56:46 pm »
Keep Keep Keep!Give the boy a chance!

Pheeny

« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2003, 11:57:26 pm »
Forgot to say Rush was crap in HIS first season...

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2003, 12:13:54 am »
Keep Keep Keep!Give the boy a chance!

I think the squad is overloaded though and in this day and age unfortunately you have to be ruthless..

If we do keep him however he will have my support because i think his heart is with the club, but if they wave say £4/5m on the back of goofys transfer  then I think the board will snap their hands off  :-\
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Pheeny

« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2003, 12:21:49 am »
I agree Tony but get rid of some of the older guys first and give the newer ones a chance!

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2003, 12:27:11 am »
I agree Tony but get rid of some of the older guys first and give the newer ones a chance!

Pheeny Im specifically talking about his position though and the only older one i can think of is Didi I sure dont want him to leave
A Great man once said...
It is terribly simple."

Pheeny

« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2003, 12:31:15 am »
Pheeny Im specifically talking about his position though and the only older one i can think of is Didi I sure dont want him to leave
so we need cover for Didi then.I meant if we wanted to lighten the squad...

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2003, 12:37:40 am »
Zidanny, Stevie, Carra and even Igor if he stays can do job there if Didi does get injured.. dont forget we will be without the Senagalese lads in January for a few weeks anyway...
A Great man once said...
It is terribly simple."

Offline Mark_P

• Stupid fucking little gosbite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2003, 09:27:13 am »
Remember the time when he was keeping Stevie G out of the central midfielder place, and he was unplayable?  Igor isn't cover for Hamann, when he played CM he didn't do the "holding role" Hamann does.  Good cover, and a good player, keep I reckon.
Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2003, 09:41:38 am »
Yeah Diao was great when he played CM early on last season.  And who can possibly forget his sterling work at RB against everton?
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline steer

• Grampa
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2003, 11:45:51 am »
he can go for 15m.  :P

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2003, 11:53:30 am »
I'd bight PSG's hand off if they offered 5 million for Diao.

Sell sell sell.  :wave
« Last Edit: July 20, 2003, 11:53:40 am by ChrisR »
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2003, 01:36:12 pm »
Would like to see him given the chace to prove himslef this season - I thought he did ok last year, probably adapting to the pace of the Prem.

Unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen, Hamman, Gerrard and Kewell will be almost certs for starting berths - and maybe Smicer, Murphy and Diouf battling it out for the other.

With Diarra and Welsh upcoming for the future, it seems Diao would be limited to being a squad player - suppose it all depends if Diao is gonna be happy with that and if GH wants to cash in on a player who has consderable back-up in that position.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2003, 01:39:24 pm »
I'd sell

You want cover for Hamman, use Biscan, or Carragher

Or even have Gerrard and Murphy in the middle and go at teams (at home anyway)

Offline Barrettski

• No longer stuck to a goat or anything else with a beard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A teenage dream is so hard to beat
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2003, 08:57:12 am »
No Nyet Nein Non... he's not for sale.

The only reason Ged would ever contemplate off loading Salif would be if he was 100% certain that Biscan was adequate cover for Hamann.  That's 100% certain and I'm sure even the most ardent Biscan fans whould question that.

Whether you like the idea of squad rotation or not... it is a squad game.  Picture the scene as Carra covers for an injured Finnan at right back, Hamann comes back with a slight knock after a Germany game and needs to rest up... and we have an FA Cup tie away against decent Nationwide opposition.  Who do you want in there?  Murphy and Gerrard isn't solid enough IMO for those games... and Biscan would add uncertainty to a game where we need predictability and class.  Salif is the man for that job... that squad role.

Add to that his attitude, the speed with which he's settled in, his team spirit (remember the YNWA T shirt he made up for Dudek after his spill against Ushited?)... and he's also happy to play as a squad player taking his chances as they come.  As a squad player he's a diamond.  Name another international of his ability who's happy to sit on the bench at a club he loves?

"Sir" Alex didn't talk about the depth of Liverpool's squad for nothing - he's envious.  That envy is for a reason.  Salif is one of those reasons.  Sell him?  Nah - you "sellers" are all mad.

;D
Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple - Bill Shankly.

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2003, 09:40:30 am »
Did someone say sell Cheyrou???

You'll rue the day - he'll shine this year.

Sell the rest of them though.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline Barrettski

• No longer stuck to a goat or anything else with a beard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A teenage dream is so hard to beat
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2003, 09:45:26 am »
Did someone say sell Cheyrou???

Auction his white boots, not the player.

;D
Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple - Bill Shankly.

Offline Jason_King

• Legacy Fan
  • Inspector of Wizard's sleeves and yawning donkeys
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2003, 01:07:27 pm »
Hmmmmmm.

Im not convinced by Diao but a replacement for Ronaldinho hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Lord have mercy thats like classing David Batty as a replacement for a Hoddle.

Maybe if he has a good run, he is pretty quick and and big strong lad. Would like to see him and Biscan get a run just to see if they are a benefit to the club or just a drain on wages for hardly used squad player,
A champion is someone who gets up when he can't

Offline Dr. Funs Doll

• Anny Roader
  • Liverpool are magic Everton are tragic
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2003, 03:49:43 pm »
Sell him, he's not going to win us the league.

After a 4 hour conversation about the situation with Tim Cross and ChrisR, we think Igor should be given much more of a chance.

Sell Salif, Vlad, Emile, Mellor, Cheyrou and break the bank for owen hargreaves.

The time has come to cull the squad and make those transfers which will take us to the next level. The fringe players litter our squad. while on the one hand its "depth" on the other it is all too frequent mediocrity.

Sell sell sell.

To a degree i agree about "culling" the squad - but why sell Mellor?  he's young, talented and there's alot more to come IMO.  We wouldnt get that much money for him either...  
I wouldnt swap those 5 for owen hargreaves either, not good business at all in my eyes

On Diao
IMO he's unlikely to become a regular first teamer but I agree with barretski - you need some squad players, and in Diao we have one of solid abilty who'll give his all and is (seemingly) happy with a bit part role.
THE LIVERPOOL BOYS ARE IN TOWN   ..na na na nanananana..............

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2003, 04:03:10 pm »
Dunno about swappin the lot for owen hargreaves i wouldnt even swap him for salif diao in a straight swap!
!
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2003, 06:28:58 pm »
Any decent offer and we should not hesitate in selling. He's only holding back Welsh's progress, as we've simply got too many central midfielders who are just there for cover.

A walking red card IMO

Totally agree with that, who could honestly say they didn't see that red card against Newcastle coming as the game progressed.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Mark_P

• Stupid fucking little gosbite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2003, 09:27:05 pm »
Adeemo, how regualry do you watch the boy Welsh
Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2003, 01:07:45 am »
Adeemo, how regualry do you watch the boy Welsh

I've seen him a good few times for both the reserves and England U19s, and been massively impressed with what I've seen, as have most people. All I'm saying is that we have more than enough cover in central midfield, and it's uneccesary to keep everyone, especially when we've got such a good young English talent about to start really pushing for a place.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Jason_King

• Legacy Fan
  • Inspector of Wizard's sleeves and yawning donkeys
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2003, 08:34:24 am »
Someone talk me through Welsh then, heard a lot about him but not seen him.

Heard a lot about Partridge too, hope thats not an indication of the future for Welsh!
A champion is someone who gets up when he can't

Offline Zach

• In my humble opinion
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2003, 09:05:14 am »
Welsh is tipped to be the next Stevie G, but I've seen him and he's a different type of player.
He reminds me more of Didi. He's a great prospect, has a lot of composure in his game, very good ball control and a keen eye for through balls.
Looks solid, consistent and very confident.
His shooting needs improvement as well as his ability to roam forward and pose an attacking threat, but more or less, he's everything you need in a defensive midfielder. And he's still young.

I hope to see him break into the first team in a year or two because him and Gez can be great in the middle.
I'm impressed with him and I would sell Diao if given the chance so that Welsh could get more games.

Offline connaught

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
Diao out for three weeks
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2003, 01:38:54 pm »
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N143092031217-1329.htm

Does this mean we will se bruno over the festive period?

Offline Olly

• Sees greatness from his sofa
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Diao out for three weeks
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2003, 01:45:08 pm »
What is going on in training? Not much, now I think of it.
If you keep one eye on the past, you are blind in one eye. Yet if you forget the past, you are blind in both.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2003, 01:45:35 pm »
frank normally appears in some panto or another but due to stress i doubt it.  :P

Offline Rashid

• 99% of posts are bullshit, the other 1% get deleted. Unloved, unwashed, and untidy.
  • Main Stander
  • Resident Dog
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2003, 01:46:55 pm »
Great Loss.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2003, 01:53:35 pm »
Great Loss.

Sense a slight bit of sarcasm there.

Anyway, once we have no players left will everybody be happy?
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Rashid

• 99% of posts are bullshit, the other 1% get deleted. Unloved, unwashed, and untidy.
  • Main Stander
  • Resident Dog
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2003, 01:54:39 pm »
Sense a slight bit of sarcasm there.

Anyway, once we have no players left will everybody be happy?

Maybe then the kids will get a chance.