Author Topic: Fernando Torres  (Read 586696 times)

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
Re: Fernando Torres
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 03:29:19 pm »
Have we ever had a striker that has left the club and gone on to improve?

Anelka, Bellamy
Morientes, Sinama Pongolle albeit briefly

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2011, 03:30:27 pm »
Still the best number 9 in the World when on form, i just don't know if he'll ever get it back.

He and Suarez would have been brilliant.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2011, 03:33:26 pm »
Do you think AVB has decided to sell him? He seems to be making a huge deal out of this interview, saying he'll get the tapes or whatever. While Torres shouldn't have said it, it seems ridiculous to give more to the media to write about instead of letting it die, not when Torres's place at Chelsea is already under scrutiny.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2011, 03:33:27 pm »
He and Suarez would have been brilliant.

Don't agree. He hasn't played well with most of the strikers he has ever played with. They even moved a more superior striker out to the wing who is also very creative and can play to suit Torres, but he still cannot seem able to work with someone.

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2011, 03:34:02 pm »
He was more clinical than I ever thought he'd be at Atleti. I don't think he was ever a Fowler though, and I don't think he ever had the sort of "nous" that someone like Trezeguet or Van Nistelrooy had in the role. How many tap-in's did you ever see Torres score, at any club? That Wolves one is one of the few I can remember. He wasn't a "right place, right time" striker that could cope with losing his explosiveness. Wouldn't say he was up there with the very top, top draw finishers like Eto'o or Villa either.

He was up there with Fowler for me. I know what you mean about him not being a 'right time, right place' type but doesn't that prove he was a better finisher? All Van Nistelrooy ever scored was tap-ins, the guy had fantastic positioning but his finishing outside the six-yard box was average. Torres could score from anywhere, he was phenomenal for a time.

What a waste.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2011, 03:35:24 pm »
Don't agree. He hasn't played well with most of the strikers he has ever played with. They even moved a more superior striker out to the wing who is also very creative and can play to suit Torres, but he still cannot seem able to work with someone.

Thing is though, he's been played with strikers instead of players like Suarez who are more of creators.

Stick Torres upfront, Suarez behind him with Gerrard as the 3 at the top of a diamond and we would have had an unbelivable strike force from them 3 alone.

3 players who can score goals with two who are able to open up a defence in a split second.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2011, 03:35:47 pm »
Somewhat ironic that he labels half of the Chelsea squad slow when he seems to have lost a yard of pace himself.

I still think my prediction of him leaving England at the end of this season will come true.

As to what has caused his decline? I'd say a combination of injuries, lack of a strong mentality and perhaps a shift in his priorities after the birth of his first child are all to blame.

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2011, 03:36:54 pm »
Thing is though, he's been played with strikers instead of players like Suarez who are more of creators.

Stick Torres upfront, Suarez behind him with Gerrard as the 3 at the top of a diamond and we would have had an unbelivable strike force from them 3 alone.

3 players who can score goals with two who are able to open up a defence in a split second.

It would have been fucking lethal. Not to be...
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2011, 03:37:11 pm »
I don't think he left the club in the right manner and I think it is affecting him to this day.

He had an emotional attachment at Atletico but when he left it was a decent break and one that was coming for at least a couple of seasons.  With us it was very messy and I don't think he would've chosen Chelsea if he was thinking right.  It looks like he just moved on to get back at some people at the club, people most likely moved on anyway, Purslow etc.  To be honest, I think it all got to his head as well about how good a player he was/is.

Agree with those that are saying him and Suarez would've been brilliant.  That would have had more to do with Suarez than Torres though because I think Suarez is the type of player who can play with pretty much anyone.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2011, 03:38:14 pm »
I don't really think of Suarez as a striker though to be honest.

The space he would have opened up for Torres would have made it a success IMO.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2011, 03:40:14 pm »
I haven't liked watching his form propel steeply downwards since he left. He was a fantastic player for us, yes he left in a bad way but his intentions to win things can only be respected. He doesn't and won't fit in playing alongside Drogba/Anelka. The acquisition of Mata could be make or break for the rest of his career at Chelsea. He should be the pinnacle of Chelsea's attack with Mata and Malouda playing on the wings like Mourinho did with Drogba in his early seasons. Knowing he's 2nd/3rd/4th choice must be demoralising and I hope he finds the solution by proving he's worthy to start under AVB or get a move away in the next transfer window.

Feel sorry for the guy as when he's in form, he's in the top 3 strikers in the world.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2011, 03:40:25 pm »

Spain had Villa on the left wing, Xavi in behind Torres and Iniesta off the right in the early matches in the World Cup. He still was unable to fire.

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2011, 03:40:30 pm »
Some players, who were genuinely good, suddenly lose it, be it due to injury or some change in circumstances and never get even back close to where they were.  I'm thinking Joe Cole, among others.  I don't see Torres ever being what he was in '07 to '09. 

This isn't some temporary blip, he has been poor for a long, long time now.  I know he scored a few goals for us last year, but he was a shadow of the man he used to be.  Anyone remember Bolton away last season, he was embarrassingly poor.  Remember Utd away in the cup?  He barely raised a sweat.

He was truly brilliant for us those first two years, and nobody could or should deny that, but his decline has been spectacular
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:43:39 pm by armchair-fan »

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2011, 03:40:34 pm »
Do you think AVB has decided to sell him? He seems to be making a huge deal out of this interview, saying he'll get the tapes or whatever. While Torres shouldn't have said it, it seems ridiculous to give more to the media to write about instead of letting it die, not when Torres's place at Chelsea is already under scrutiny.

What interview is this?

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2011, 03:41:02 pm »
I'd put it down to him being mentally weak, as well as a few minor things. But I can't be arsed wasting my time dwelling on some twat who left the way he did. Don't hate him, just don't care at all. What could have been could have been brilliant, but it wasn't to be.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2011, 03:41:07 pm »
I would have liked to see Torres together with Suarez as well.
During the last game when we missed so many chances in front of the goal, I kept thinking if only we had someone with a better finish.  :(

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2011, 03:41:31 pm »
All Van Nistelrooy ever scored was tap-ins, the guy had fantastic positioning but his finishing outside the six-yard box was average.

Wooah... Wooah...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQRBuqZyUgk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpbnwBjZ8E4&NR=1

He might have been a twat, but nothing about Van Nistelrooy's finishing was average.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2011, 03:42:23 pm »
What interview is this?
The interview he did with Spanish league where he kinda said Chelsea's midfield is slow with 'older players'.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2011, 03:42:34 pm »
Wooah... Wooah...

He might have been a twat, but nothing about Van Nistelrooy's finishing was average.
Without even watching one of those video's.... one of them is his goal vs Fulham aint it?

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2011, 03:43:07 pm »
I don't really think of Suarez as a striker though to be honest.

The space he would have opened up for Torres would have made it a success IMO.

Exactly how I see it.

Just imagine had we had Luis Suarez in 08/09...Quadruple time.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2011, 03:43:34 pm »
I'm glad we haven't had to deal with Torres scoring bag loads for Chelsea. That would have been painful to see. But until he leaves them for Spain or Italy, I will continue to actively hope he never scores another goal.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2011, 03:43:48 pm »
Spain had Villa on the left wing, Xavi in behind Torres and Iniesta off the right in the early matches in the World Cup. He still was unable to fire.

Xavi and Iniesta are players who aren't known for their un-predictability though, same with Villa.

Villa is a top out and out striker, Xavi and Iniesta are two world class midfielders who have the vision to open up a defence but not force players to track them enough to open up space for others.

As soon as Suarez is on the ball, he's got 3-4 players around him because they know just how dangerous he can be in and around the box, Xai and Iniesta are known for unlocking defences around the box but not in, same with Villa who is known for finishing, not creating.

If Torres had stayed and we bought the same players we've got now (Minus Carroll since he was the replacement) then we would have had one hell of a team IMO.

Reina

Johnson            Carragher              Agger              Enrique

Lucas

Henderson                                                       Downing

Gerrard                Suarez

Torres

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2011, 03:44:16 pm »
Without even watching one of those video's.... one of them is his goal vs Fulham aint it?

No

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2011, 03:44:31 pm »
He was injured during the World Cup though so can't really judge on that.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2011, 03:44:43 pm »
Only Rafa and Gerrard got him going really, he was always a hit and miss at Atletico Madrid, Spain and now Chelsea.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2011, 03:44:53 pm »

Nope. Both goals at Real Madrid. Think he showed more of his all round game there, rather than just getting across the defender and tapping/heading it in like at United.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2011, 03:45:21 pm »
Either way, glad to see him suffering, the spotty fake blonde twat.

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2011, 03:46:57 pm »
Yeah why the fuck does he dye his hair blonde? What a quim. For ages I thought it was his real hair colour, dunno why. But seriously, what kinda fella grows his hair into locks and dyes it blonde?

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2011, 03:47:03 pm »
Wooah... Wooah...

Fair enough, but how often did he score goals like that? I remember it was a running joke during his time at United.

Torres scored 5-10 goals of a similar standard in each of his first three seasons at Liverpool. Van Nistelrooy was always more of a goal hanger, with a fantastic knack of getting on the end of things. An unbelievable goal scorer, but I'm not sure that he was a better finisher.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline Dr. Tongue

• Kemlynite
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2011, 03:48:31 pm »
This guy made such a big deal about moving to a club to win the league and the Champions League and has done nothing to ingratiate himself with Chelsea the club, its manager, supporters, or players.  Is this some lost in translation thing or is he trying to force a move already?  How can he not realize he comes off like a complete tool with his comments?  I suppose if anyone was going to sell a 50 million pound player a year later after 25 or so appearances it would be Abramovich but I don't see that happening yet.  It took a couple years before Shevchenko was loaned out to Milan and then was gone to Kiev.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2011, 03:48:45 pm »
Such an idiotic decision for him to leave when he did. Just so stupid.

Imagine how good him and Suarez would've been upfront, just imagine.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2011, 03:49:10 pm »
What did he say?

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2011, 03:49:18 pm »
Fair enough, but how often did he score goals like that? I remember it was a running joke during his time at United.

Torres scored 5-10 goals of a similar standard in each of his first three seasons at Liverpool. Van Nistelrooy was always more of a goal hanger, with a fantastic knack of getting on the end of things. An unbelievable goal scorer, but I'm not sure that he was a better finisher.

Trying not to drift of the thread title but Van Nistelrooy had knack of being in the right place at the right time. His anticipation skill was second to none. He didn't have to be a clinical striker to bag 20 goals a season. Torres is more clinical and score's more 'outstanding' goals but a goal is a goal whether its a tap in or a 35 yard screamer.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline redhokie8

• Kopite
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2011, 03:49:37 pm »
May be worth a cheeky 5 mil pound bid, no? but in always seriousness i would take him back for the right price, i know what he did hurt but i still think we need someone like him in our team and if anyone could get the best our of him it would be kenny 

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2011, 03:49:47 pm »
What did he say?

Said that Chelsea's midfield is full of "Older Slow" players.

Online whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2011, 03:50:32 pm »
Either way, glad to see him suffering, the spotty fake blonde twat.

Indeed. Wouldve been too painfull watching him score plenty for Chelsea . If he'd just been a bit more patience, life would be different Fernando
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2011, 03:51:40 pm »
Mata could be the one to help Torres back to his best, but I can't help but wonder is Torres already eyeing a return to Spain.
Who makes comments like that and then puts them on his own website.
It's not like he can claim misquoting.
Definitely not doing himself any favours there.

Offline HoinkDoink

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2011, 03:51:58 pm »
Im happy that he played for Liverpool and all his efforts he gave to us, it's not nice watching a player I used to love watching so out of form at the moment, but dissapointed in the way he left to join a rival club. But Liverpool FC has moved on and great things are happening :D

If he moves away from England I hope he can gain his form again.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:54:21 pm by HoinkDoink »
Liverpool FC
Stop for the Klopp!

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=294839.0 - RAWK Soccer Manager Thread, Come Play

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2011, 03:52:20 pm »
Well if it's two goals at Real Madrid, i'm guessing one against Osasuna and the other vs Valencia at the Bernabeu.

Fuck it, i'll just watch them!!

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2011, 03:52:42 pm »
Chelsea will off load in january if his form doesnt improve which I dont think it will.  But the c*nts better not come knocking for our luis.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)