Author Topic: Winning Title #19*  (Read 1309299 times)

Offline scutty

• Kopite
  • Know nothing.
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #6440 on: January 25, 2020, 12:55:38 am »
I was really pissed off at one point, I thought its just fuckin typical, we finally have this fantastic manager capable of bringing back the glory days.

But it had to Happen at the same time has city buying their way to success another fuckin Chel ski.

Now, I believe anything is possible under Klopp.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 12:57:32 am by scutty »
Why was my post deleted?

Offline CentenaryBoy

• Kopite
  • JFT97
« Reply #6441 on: January 25, 2020, 01:19:40 am »
I was really pissed off at one point, I thought its just fuckin typical, we finally have this fantastic manager capable of bringing back the glory days.

But it had to Happen at the same time has city buying their way to success another fuckin Chel ski.

Now, I believe anything is possible under Klopp.

I've generally been quite sympathetic to the Fenway Sporting Group, viewing them as reasonably sensible, intelligent owners, but I just assumed we wouldn’t win the title without a rich Middle Eastern or Russian sugar daddy of our own.

And then I saw Jurgen's face, and now I'm a believer...

Offline CentenaryBoy

• Kopite
  • JFT97
« Reply #6442 on: January 25, 2020, 03:26:19 am »
Interesting potential coincidence: the UK joined the EU in January 1973, and Liverpool won the league that year. The
UK is leaving the European Union in January 2020, and Liverpool...well, let's see, shall we.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #6443 on: January 25, 2020, 04:36:59 am »
I keep thinking about my Dad. He died the month before Jurgen Klopp took over. He'd been going to the match since the 50s, before Shankly took over. He'd seen our glory years, but he never got to see Liverpool win the league again after 1990. I began to wonder to myself, might the same thing happen to me? Might we never win the league again? It sounded mad, but maybe that's what would happen.

I'm always drawn to the story of Wolves. They won three league titles in the 50s, and were considered one of the best teams in the world. If you'd said to a Wolves fan in 1959 (the last time they were champions), “That's it, pal, you’re never going to win the league again,” they'd think you were insane. But sixty years later, it's still true. Could that happen to us?

It looks like the wait will soon be over. It looks like we're going to be champions of England once more. Maybe, just maybe, we'll cock it up somehow, but that seems highly unlikely as things stand. And if we do it, then I hope we'll all raise a toast to the many, many supporters who never lived to see it.

I've been thinking of my own dad in relation to the football too. He saw the glory years, and I remember standing in the paddock with him and our next door neighbour for the UEFA Cup Final in'73 against Borussia Mönchengladbach. He also drove us down to Wembley in '76 for the Charity Shield match and was knackered so had a sleep on the grass verge outside before the game. We watched Istanbul together too, and I'll always remember that. I said at half-time it would be the biggest humiliation ever, or the greatest comeback in history. I honestly didn't know which. I think it turned out ok, though.

My dad went into hospital at the beginning of November 2017 and we thought he'd be out soon after. They called us in after a few days and said he had cancer. We thought he might have years, but the doctor gave him 2 days to live. Two weeks previous I was with my partner's dad while he died too. Another massive Red. My dad lasted until the 6th then he died. I think of both these days and I'm sad they missed us lift Big Ears last season. I'm sad that they aren't witnessing what we are seeing today. Both saw our glory decades, but do you know what, what we are seeing at the moment is up there with anything that went before. This is truly special, and I wish they could be here to see it.

I had a prearranged meet with a good friend last night so couldn't see the match. I went to her house thinking Wolves just might be the banana skin. We had lots of important stuff to catch up on so I only got to check the score a couple of times. First time I looked we were 1-0 up. Next time it was 1-1 at, I think around 80 minutes. I thought maybe a draw would do us there. Next time I looked we'd won 2-1. We were both so happy. She's a Red too. I drove home late and everything just felt so good. I came in and looked at my dad's photograph on the table and just smiled. I said, ''dad, my god, it looks like we might just do this.'' In fact, I'm looking at his picture as I type this now.

Back in 1990 I'd never have believed we'd wait so long to be this close again. Even as it dawned on me just how far we'd declined as the 90s wore on, I never believed we'd go longer than the 26 years it took the Mancs to lift the title again. Mind you, no one could have predicted the hijacking of our national sport by crooked billionaires like Abramovich and Abu Dhabi. We had our own problems, of course. We'd vacated our perch by our own hand, but once we tried to climb back on it the landscape had altered so much. It would take something really, really special to elevate us back to where we once were, and it was clear that a lot of old school Reds wouldn't live to see the day the tree finally bore fruit once more. This is one reason why I think we should all savour every single moment of this. We never know what life will throw our way. We can't know how long this will last or how far it will go, but we are here now, alive at a wonderful time to be a Red. We owe it to ourselves to enjoy every second of it. Live it, eat it, breathe it, sleep it, savour it and appreciate it.

I'm old enough and have seen enough to know that nothing, absolutely nothing lasts forever. Good things don't last forever, but neither do bad. Life's fluid and ever changing. It's all about the moment; the here and now. What we have now is something special. I never thought this club could give me more than it did in the 70s and 80s, but my god, it's actually doing just that, right now. Today. There's a way to go yet, but what a journey, what a ride. Again, I'm sad that people I love aren't here to see it, but I'll just make sure I enjoy it all the more, because they can't. That applies no matter what happens from here on in too. It's not beyond the realms of possibility for it to go pear-shaped, although it's unlikely as things stand. Regardless, I'm walking round this city feeling 10 feet tall and I have been since Kiev because I knew what was coming. I could see where things were going, even as that twat Ramos held Big Ears. I knew the Reds were coming up the hill. That wasn't the end, it was just the beginning. There were tears that night, but a monster was born that night too. Amazingly, it still hasn't reached maturity, but it's ripping heads off all over the show.

Savour ever single second of this. No matter how it goes. Old coots like me had our 60s, 70s and 80s, and we look like we are getting a second wind, but you younger Reds, this is your time...

Hold it gently, like the beautiful butterfly it is. Admire it, appreciate it, savour it, because we never know how long we'll have it.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 04:44:43 am by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #6444 on: January 25, 2020, 04:52:17 am »
As i've posted on the TV fixtures thread

If the Palace game is postponed because of the FA Cup, then Villa home Saturday 11th April will be the likely game to confirm it, & that's Easter weekend, also guaranteed to be on the Saturday, as Champions League quarter finals are 7–8 April & 14–15 April.
#Sausages

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6445 on: January 25, 2020, 05:05:37 am »
Premier League
Champions League
FA Cup
Unbeaten
100+ points

That's how I see the priority list. We are in such a remarkable position that if we 'only' win the league out of that lot, it will seem a little anti-climactic. If that should happen - and I don't think it will, I'm sure there will be a rousing reception/parade and the team will stay hungry for next season.

I would love to be Prem/European/World champions in the same season. That's a treble that won't be soon beaten.

Put my thought into words. league is priority for now. and looking bright and sunny on that front. but still a game at a time. The players and coach got that head screwed on tight. time to let others worry about us and do all the calculations and which games to "lose" to get to top 4 or top 6 or whatever their target is.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #6446 on: January 25, 2020, 05:20:42 am »
Sky last night call us the inevitables.

"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6447 on: January 25, 2020, 05:49:06 am »
I keep thinking about my Dad. He died the month before Jurgen Klopp took over. He'd been going to the match since the 50s, before Shankly took over. He'd seen our glory years, but he never got to see Liverpool win the league again after 1990. I began to wonder to myself, might the same thing happen to me? Might we never win the league again? It sounded mad, but maybe that's what would happen.

I'm always drawn to the story of Wolves. They won three league titles in the 50s, and were considered one of the best teams in the world. If you'd said to a Wolves fan in 1959 (the last time they were champions), “That's it, pal, you’re never going to win the league again,” they'd think you were insane. But sixty years later, it's still true. Could that happen to us?

It looks like the wait will soon be over. It looks like we're going to be champions of England once more. Maybe, just maybe, we'll cock it up somehow, but that seems highly unlikely as things stand. And if we do it, then I hope we'll all raise a toast to the many, many supporters who never lived to see it.
I've been thinking of my own dad in relation to the football too. He saw the glory years, and I remember standing in the paddock with him and our next door neighbour for the UEFA Cup Final in'73 against Borussia Mönchengladbach. He also drove us down to Wembley in '76 for the Charity Shield match and was knackered so had a sleep on the grass verge outside before the game. We watched Istanbul together too, and I'll always remember that. I said at half-time it would be the biggest humiliation ever, or the greatest comeback in history. I honestly didn't know which. I think it turned out ok, though.

My dad went into hospital at the beginning of November 2017 and we thought he'd be out soon after. They called us in after a few days and said he had cancer. We thought he might have years, but the doctor gave him 2 days to live. Two weeks previous I was with my partner's dad while he died too. Another massive Red. My dad lasted until the 6th then he died. I think of both these days and I'm sad they missed us lift Big Ears last season. I'm sad that they aren't witnessing what we are seeing today. Both saw our glory decades, but do you know what, what we are seeing at the moment is up there with anything that went before. This is truly special, and I wish they could be here to see it.

I had a prearranged meet with a good friend last night so couldn't see the match. I went to her house thinking Wolves just might be the banana skin. We had lots of important stuff to catch up on so I only got to check the score a couple of times. First time I looked we were 1-0 up. Next time it was 1-1 at, I think around 80 minutes. I thought maybe a draw would do us there. Next time I looked we'd won 2-1. We were both so happy. She's a Red too. I drove home late and everything just felt so good. I came in and looked at my dad's photograph on the table and just smiled. I said, ''dad, my god, it looks like we might just do this.'' In fact, I'm looking at his picture as I type this now.

Back in 1990 I'd never have believed we'd wait so long to be this close again. Even as it dawned on me just how far we'd declined as the 90s wore on, I never believed we'd go longer than the 26 years it took the Mancs to lift the title again. Mind you, no one could have predicted the hijacking of our national sport by crooked billionaires like Abramovich and Abu Dhabi. We had our own problems, of course. We'd vacated our perch by our own hand, but once we tried to climb back on it the landscape had altered so much. It would take something really, really special to elevate us back to where we once were, and it was clear that a lot of old school Reds wouldn't live to see the day the tree finally bore fruit once more. This is one reason why I think we should all savour every single moment of this. We never know what life will throw our way. We can't know how long this will last or how far it will go, but we are here now, alive at a wonderful time to be a Red. We owe it to ourselves to enjoy every second of it. Live it, eat it, breathe it, sleep it, savour it and appreciate it.

I'm old enough and have seen enough to know that nothing, absolutely nothing lasts forever. Good things don't last forever, but neither do bad. Life's fluid and ever changing. It's all about the moment; the here and now. What we have now is something special. I never thought this club could give me more than it did in the 70s and 80s, but my god, it's actually doing just that, right now. Today. There's a way to go yet, but what a journey, what a ride. Again, I'm sad that people I love aren't here to see it, but I'll just make sure I enjoy it all the more, because they can't. That applies no matter what happens from here on in too. It's not beyond the realms of possibility for it to go pear-shaped, although it's unlikely as things stand. Regardless, I'm walking round this city feeling 10 feet tall and I have been since Kiev because I knew what was coming. I could see where things were going, even as that twat Ramos held Big Ears. I knew the Reds were coming up the hill. That wasn't the end, it was just the beginning. There were tears that night, but a monster was born that night too. Amazingly, it still hasn't reached maturity, but it's ripping heads off all over the show.

Savour ever single second of this. No matter how it goes. Old coots like me had our 60s, 70s and 80s, and we look like we are getting a second wind, but you younger Reds, this is your time...

Hold it gently, like the beautiful butterfly it is. Admire it, appreciate it, savour it, because we never know how long we'll have it.

Thank you both for sharing this.

Allow me to quickly get rid of the moron cutting onions here.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #6448 on: January 25, 2020, 07:06:18 am »
As i've posted on the TV fixtures thread

If the Palace game is postponed because of the FA Cup, then Villa home Saturday 11th April will be the likely game to confirm it, & that's Easter weekend, also guaranteed to be on the Saturday, as Champions League quarter finals are 7–8 April & 14–15 April.

Is it postponed it we beat Shrewsbury ?
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline loon the red

• Main Stander
« Reply #6449 on: January 25, 2020, 07:19:57 am »
Blame the Yanks with their slang, chewing gum and stockings. :D
... and soccer, and quarterbacks... [emoji39]

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6450 on: January 25, 2020, 07:27:06 am »
I just want to win every game from now till the end of the season.

This would make us the: TREBLE WINNING INVINCIBLE CENTURIONS..  :wave

Funny thing is, that its a realistic ask given the season we are having..  ;D
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #6451 on: January 25, 2020, 07:33:35 am »

Talk of winning 10 straight PL titles is a bit over-optimistic though.

You think?  :P
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
Chasing the Title
« Reply #6452 on: January 25, 2020, 07:43:48 am »
Is it postponed it we beat Shrewsbury ?

5th round is scheduled for Wednesday 5th March, between the Watford and Bournemouth games, so shouldn’t require any postponements. And there’s no replays.

6th round (QF) is 21st March, so that would require the Palace game being rearranged.

SF is 18-19 April, same weekend we’re down to play Brighton.

With no replays, that’s a maximum of two fixtures being postponed/rescheduled, and the league should be wrapped up by the second of those. No reason in my mind we shouldn’t target winning the FA cup *and* the CL.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:03:19 am by smutchin »

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
Chasing the Title
« Reply #6453 on: January 25, 2020, 07:52:32 am »
I was under the impression in the early years some teams were invited to enter and only a few teams participated - a bit of a Real Madrid run racket. I think English teams ignored it initially.  Real Madrid racked up the wins in the early years when no one was looking

First time was invite only. Chelsea were invited but the FA banned them from taking part.

To be fair to Real, that was the era of Puskas, Di Stefano, Gento et al, so they probably would have won anyway.

Obviously it only really became a serious competition in 63/64.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #6454 on: January 25, 2020, 08:04:05 am »
Lovely posts, thanks for sharing.

My own dad not only doesn’t like the reds, but also now sees our march to the title as a rich source of lucky Liverpool, #taintedtitle, VAR-related ‘banter’.  It’s the last thing I want so I just avoid the subject.

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #6455 on: January 25, 2020, 08:22:59 am »
Firstly priority for me is to stop the Echo written daily fucking stories about Timo fucking Werner!!!!! Anything after that is a bonus!!!!

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6456 on: January 25, 2020, 08:30:15 am »

I'm old enough and have seen enough to know that nothing,

Beautiful post mate, got me choked there a bit.

And of course there'll be dozens of similar stories about absent friends and family who we've shared precious moments with following the Reds glory. Every tear will be a welcome one though, I guess.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6457 on: January 25, 2020, 09:29:34 am »
If we win it at the Etihad will that stadium be known as Anfield slightly East?
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6458 on: January 25, 2020, 09:37:22 am »
My own dad not only doesn’t like the reds, but also now sees our march to the title as a rich source of lucky Liverpool, #taintedtitle, VAR-related ‘banter’.  It’s the last thing I want so I just avoid the subject.

My dad's a Utd fan (in utter despair at the state of his club) but he loves Klopp, and wanted us to win it last season (for my sake). My brother (Arsenal fan) has given up any interest in football at all!
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #6459 on: January 25, 2020, 09:38:47 am »
If we win it at the Etihad will that stadium be known as Anfield slightly East?
EastField
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline davidsteventon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6460 on: January 25, 2020, 09:40:23 am »
Regarding any trophy presentation...

We're away the last game, so could it be our last home (Chelsea)?

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6461 on: January 25, 2020, 10:13:50 am »
Regarding any trophy presentation...

We're away the last game, so could it be our last home (Chelsea)?

Yes it would be

That’s not stopping a load of Newcastle tickets from home end being offered for sale for hundreds

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #6462 on: January 25, 2020, 10:23:56 am »
Do have the decency to mindful that it is Campione, and not fucking CHAMP-ione, when singing. Theres good chaps.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6463 on: January 25, 2020, 11:10:39 am »
I'd actually go the opposite way. We showed in 2005 you can win the champions league without being the best team in europe. To have come this far unbeaten is a massive rarity. I'd sacrifice champions league glory to stick it out. They're written in history thanks to the champions league and world club cup. Imagine adding "invincible" premier league winners to that.
Its gonna be easier winning the CL again, than it is to get this close to an unbeaten season...

Invincibles is something you stick on a poster or a mug, No 7 goes on the Champions Wall and a replica goes in the Museum.

Preston North End were the first invincibles, Arsenal the second, does anyone actually give a shiny shit? I remember that Arsenal side mainly for failing to win the CL.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6464 on: January 25, 2020, 11:13:05 am »
Do have the decency to mindful that it is Campione, and not fucking CHAMP-ione, when singing. Theres good chaps.

Is fucking right.

Its because the dickhead Mancs sung it wrong from the off, thick twats and every soft shite remembers that.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6465 on: January 25, 2020, 11:46:14 am »
Invincibles is something you stick on a poster or a mug, No 7 goes on the Champions Wall and a replica goes in the Museum.

Preston North End were the first invincibles, Arsenal the second, does anyone actually give a shiny shit? I remember that Arsenal side mainly for failing to win the CL.
Indeed, give me much more of that shiny shit though please. One for each side of the bus, 3 isn't enough.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6466 on: January 25, 2020, 11:51:12 am »
My dad's a Utd fan (in utter despair at the state of his club) but he loves Klopp, and wanted us to win it last season (for my sake). My brother (Arsenal fan) has given up any interest in football at all!
How does that happen, that you end up supporting another club from your Dad?

If my lad (3 years old) wanted to follow another team when he grows up he'd be looking for alternative accommodation.   :)
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #6467 on: January 25, 2020, 12:06:18 pm »

If my lad (3 years old) wanted to follow another team when he grows up he'd be looking for alternative accommodation.   :)
Liverpool fan like my dad (handed over from him).
My sons are Liverpool supporters... like their dad! ;D
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6468 on: January 25, 2020, 12:08:16 pm »
My dad supports Stoke. Don't think he wanted to burden me with that!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6469 on: January 25, 2020, 12:11:45 pm »
I know it's ridiculous but that 1 in gameweek 9 still pisses me off!

Does anyone else want us to draw at least one more game so that blip to ManU/Atkinson is not our only blemish?

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #6470 on: January 25, 2020, 12:12:44 pm »

I put 2 of my sons up for adoption after they decided to support utd and Chelsea - don't miss them but I do send them a card each at Christmas.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #6471 on: January 25, 2020, 12:18:27 pm »
I put 2 of my sons up for adoption after they decided to support utd and Chelsea - don't miss them but I do send them a card each at Christmas.

Thoroughly sensible parenting skills.

:thumbup
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6472 on: January 25, 2020, 12:27:48 pm »
Does anyone else want us to draw at least one more game so that blip to ManU/Atkinson is not our only blemish?

It would break Ole's heart to lose out on the "only team to take points off the redshite " shield.  ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6473 on: January 25, 2020, 12:40:25 pm »

I just had to go and did out this classic from Wooltonian

[Indonesian version lower on this page]

A good mate of mine contacted me last night and asked for some advice. The arse had dropped out of his world. The worst thing that could happen to a Red had happened. Here is the story I related to him, to try and blow away the clouds of his misfortune.

The year was 1987, the month September. The bluenoses had been crowned champions in May. Wooly & Mrs Wooly were living in the sleepy hamlet of Woolton Village. Little Wooly (Billy) was about to start his second year at school. After a hard days slog in the office (BICC) and a couple of quick slurps in the local on the way home, I arrived home to be greeted by "You better have a word with that son of yours".

This was not a rare greeting as Mrs Wooly often used the phrase "Wait till yer Dad gets home".

Me lad had obviously been crying, his face all red and his eyes all puffed out. I took the
lad in the kitchen cos it was obviously going to be a man's conversation.

"Whats up lad?" I asked.

"I've been thinking" offered the wee lad.

"Well that's a good start" I came back.

"All me mates in school" a long pause followed "Are .... are .... erm".

"Are what Lad, spit it out".

"Well .... they're Evertonians".

My heart missed a beat or two, what on earth was happening here, "YES?"

"Well I've been thinking ..... perhaps I could be an Evertonian"

My heart stopped, I couldn't believe my ears.

In the space of about three seconds, I thought, How am I gonna explain this to me old fellah? What will me mates say in work when they find out? What have I spawned? Can this be the Antichrist hiding in my son? What are they teaching him in this school ?

"WHAT?!!!" was all I could manage.

"Erm .... I ..... was .... thinking .... I .... could .... be .... an"

I stiffened. "Dont you dare use that word again in this house."

Little Wooly began to shake, but he stuck to his guns. It was my turn to stutter "But .... but .... well don't expect any more pocket money from me" was the best I could come up with.

I could see the lad was determined and nothing I could say would ever change his mind at this moment in time. So I sat on the couch with my head in my hands, Mrs Wooly made herself busy in the kitchen, my little girl sat next to me patting me on the knee, "Its ok Dad" she said.

The bottom was falling out of me world and all I could do was sit there mumbling back to her "You don't understand love".

The only thing for me to do was to take the dog for a walk (usual thing when losing composure). Walking 50 yards up the road I came to a pub; that was far enough, the dog was looking knackered. Sitting in a quiet corner sipping a pint of mild was always my way of sorting out problems and after a short while it came to me!

When I got back home Mrs Wooly was putting the tea on the table. The dog went back to the yard after its lengthy walk, half a bitter and a pack of crisps, while we ate our tea. I finished my tea first and left the table. I went up stairs into the lad's room and picked up his quilt and pillow and returned to the kitchen.

"Have you finished yer tea Lad?"

"Yes Dad."

"Right are you ready then?"

"What for?" he said.

"Well I've been doing a spot of thinking meself and if you're as determined as you seem to be to become ONE OF THEM, then there's only one thing for it. I opened the back door and whistled the dog, "Sam get in 'ere."

The lad looked at me with confused eyes. As Sam ran past me and into his favourite spot in the living room I walked the lad out into the back yard.

"There you go Son, your new Home" said I pointing at the 3 foot x 3 foot x 4 foot kennel and without a word in he went.

I went back into the kitchen, the face on the wife was tantamount to murder and I must admit I felt sick inside. I told her he would knock on the door any minute now and things would be fine. A determined little beggar was young Wooly and after an hour there was still no knock.

My missus was on the verge of going ape. She said, "Let him in love". I looked toward the back door. It was hammering down with rain and as I peeped through kitchen nets. I could see him, he was like a drowned rat. My admiration for the lad had tripled, Evertonian or not he was a determined and very proud lad.

I had to give up, I couldn't let this go on much longer ... and then I heard a little knock. I rushed to the back door and looked through the glass, he was absolutely soaked. Pan-faced as ever I said "Yes Son?"

"Can I come in?" he said. If he could read my mind he would have known HE'D WON.

He stood inside the back door and continued, with a nervous giggle, "It's not the best idea I've ever had, is it"? The tears ran down my face, how heartless could a Father be? Fancy doing that to a boy of SIX - I was ashamed of what I'd done.

We walked together to the bathroom and I ran him a hot bath. He was sitting on the loo lid and I told him about the history of Liverpool Football Club while the bath was running, and I explained that although Everton had won the league, it would be a long time before they ever won it again.

I told him about the virtues of picking a team and sticking with them, as against becoming a turncoat. He just nodded as I spoke. Mrs Wooly stood behind him ruffling his wringing wet hair and giving me daggers at the same time.

After Billy had gone to bed that night I rang my boss and asked him for an emergency holiday, after all this was an EMERGENCY of the highest order. The following day, the little Liverpudlian toddled off to school with a whole new perspective about what it was to be a Red man. Wooly also toddled off to B&Q.

Working like a slave, by the time 3.00pm arrived the project "RED ROOM" was complete. In this short space of time I had painted all his walls and his door with white gloss, all the frames and skirting with red gloss. I had bought a new Liverpool FC quilt cover and pillow. A Liverpool lamp. A Red radio-cassette player (with a Liverpool tape of Kop songs). I had hung all me old European Liverpool flags and Liverpool scarves on the walls. His ceiling was covered with an old banner which had been stapled to the Plaster (not recommended) saying ONCE A RED, ALWAYS A RED, ROME 1977.

A lot of money was spent that day but the look on his face when he got home was well worth every penny spent.

Young Billy is now a 23 year old 6' 3" giant of a man, and has repeatedly thanked his Dad for showing him the light. The story is told as often by him as it is by me and we always laugh together, but I always wonder if he knows how close I came to giving in, and how close he came to living the rest of his life as a BLUENOSE.

© Wooltonian 2004

Post Script:
In todays society above action would probably be classed as child abuse and I would not suggest anyone follows my lead. But doing a lad's bedroom up is still within the realms of good parenthood.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=34550.msg518561#msg518561

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #6474 on: January 25, 2020, 12:41:12 pm »
Its gone now from last season's stop Liverpool at all costs from that title from other fans and clubs to stop Liverpool going unbeaten.

Every game will be very difficult as it's a massive scalp now for every team which probably wouldn't be there if the United draw had been a defeat
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6475 on: January 25, 2020, 01:18:00 pm »
Sounds reasonable.  :)

Guy that lives near me knows I'm a big Liverpool fan, asked me what I would do if my boy supports another team. I couldn't get him to understand that it'd be impossible, just unthinkable really.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Floydy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6476 on: January 25, 2020, 04:38:10 pm »
I think a few of the players might want to take note of that too Chops.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #6477 on: January 25, 2020, 04:39:56 pm »
I think a few of the players might want to take note of that too Chops.
I was about to say the same. They were singing Championes after we won the Club World Cup.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6478 on: January 25, 2020, 04:43:43 pm »
In 2014 I know a few lads who threw a few ton on City at 6/1 with 3 or 4 games left. Of course they'd rather lose their stakes but Iam sure it softened the blow.

Do you know what, it didnt for me. Thats why Ive stopped. Last time was Kiev.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Floydy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6479 on: January 25, 2020, 04:47:40 pm »
I was about to say the same. They were singing Championes after we won the Club World Cup.
Difference is some of us have grew up with that, its an iconic chant on the kop, some of these lads  probably don't understand or even care like we do.