Author Topic: SPOILERS The Chainless Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Discussion  (Read 1043255 times)

Offline Thé_Ḓárk_P̌áşşéngér

• RAWK Revolutionary.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Guns don't kill people, chimps do!
Re: Mr Blessed & Mrs Barney say "NO Discussion of the Chains!" Game of Thrones
« Reply #11760 on: April 15, 2019, 06:26:16 am »
Does anyone know of a decent site where I can catch up with the first episode – for free of course? ;)
“Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.”

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11761 on: April 15, 2019, 06:37:41 am »
Does anyone know of a decent site where I can catch up with the first episode – for free of course? ;)

Ololo.to
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11762 on: April 15, 2019, 06:42:50 am »
Undermining Jon and believing that her way is the only way of doing things
shes just like most the characters in the show though, too obsessed with titles and oathes. If danaerys really wanted to break the wheel she'd change that, not buy in to it herself.

Thought it was a decent opening

Spoiler
jon and danaerys on the dragons to their romantic get away was bad though, the comedy aspect just didnt work for me and the cgi was really jarring.

[close]

Offline Thé_Ḓárk_P̌áşşéngér

• RAWK Revolutionary.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Guns don't kill people, chimps do!
“Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.”

Offline BabsLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #11764 on: April 15, 2019, 09:07:19 am »
Spoiler
"You don't know any other rich girls."

Damn, Arya's tongue has become another deadly weapon. Not sure what she wants built though... looked like some sort of dragonglass rocket.
[close]

Not sure how to hide the text but what your talking about was in one of the trailers showing her in battle

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #11765 on: April 15, 2019, 09:07:22 am »
Spoiler
"You don't know any other rich girls."

Damn, Arya's tongue has become another deadly weapon. Not sure what she wants built though... looked like some sort of dragonglass rocket.
[close]

Spoiler
Presumably a weapon made of dragon glass that can destroy the Night King's newly acquired dragon.
[close]

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11766 on: April 15, 2019, 09:36:50 am »
don't know how to do spoilers so won't say anything specific.

wow- that was a lot to process in an hour. they crammed a lot in.
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11767 on: April 15, 2019, 09:48:34 am »
People always complain about the first episode cramming a lot in and feeling rushed, but the writers want to let people know where everyone is and sort of what they're doing, so there's a lot of characters and a lot to do
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11768 on: April 15, 2019, 09:54:26 am »
Incidentally, there was a nice little clue to John's Targaryen heritage in that scene where he and Dany went to the secluded ice spot. Those dragons looked horny too.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:56:31 am by Sheer Magnetism »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #11769 on: April 15, 2019, 09:59:30 am »
Undermining Jon and believing that her way is the only way of doing things

Sounds like Theresa May.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11770 on: April 15, 2019, 10:16:33 am »
Enjoyed it for the most part especially Arya chilling out a bit and some great moments with Sam and Bran. But the biggest problem by far is that I'm not invested anymore in the central question of who should rule the iron throne, none of them seem worthy at all. Jon is too naive and doesn't want it, Dany is too oblivious to the depths of her outsider status and should have stayed in Maureen, Sansa seems incapable of trusting anyone and thus can never really build alliances, Tyrion is just plain old too stupid and Cersei is Cersei.

Unless they pull a massive left field target like Varys or Davos, who ever ends up there will be deeply unsatisying, which is a shame for a show with such rich political themes.

I don't really care anymore about who ends up "winning", the show started getting pretty silly once they went off the source material. Lot of fanservice now
Spoiler
Like Dany and Jon riding the dragons and the comic relief in that scene. I mean I get they wanted to show "Targaeryan isn't he, can ride dragons can't he" but mate. Anyway plenty of good stuff in that episode, never expect too much from the first episode in a Thrones season. Liked the kid on the wall, just love seeing Berric in any capacity and Tormund is one of my favorites. Also the stuff with Samwell (i killed ur family mate/Jon you are king) can see they're sowing the seeds of discord there.

Lastly, did the ending with Jaime's incredulous stare at Bran signify anything other than "oh look there's the lad I pushed out the window years ago"? My memory's a bit hazy
[close]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:18:14 am by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #11771 on: April 15, 2019, 10:20:17 am »
Good episode, set up for five more episodes of carnage now.

Ticked all the boxes for the little reunions
Spoiler

Jon and Bran/Arya
Arya and the Hound/Gendry
Sansa and Tyrion
Bran and Jaime
[close]

Put all the pieces in the right place
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #11772 on: April 15, 2019, 01:51:19 pm »

'Game of Thrones | Season 8 Episode 1 | Inside the Episode (HBO)' youtube video:-

CONTAINS FOOTAGE & SPOILERS FROM EPISODE 1 OF THE NEW SEASON - so best not watch this below until you've seen the 1st episode of Season 8...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha8Qsx6_OBw (7 mins)

'Game of Thrones | Season 8 Episode 1 | Game Revealed (HBO)' youtube video:-

CONTAINS FOOTAGE & SPOILERS FROM EPISODE 1 OF THE NEW SEASON - so best not watch this below until you've seen the 1st episode of Season 8...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkdbetJTZGA (18 mins)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:22:00 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11773 on: April 15, 2019, 01:58:52 pm »
Oh, I definitely enjoyed it. I just thought there'd be a little more action since this season seems to be more condensed, but I suppose the rest of it is going to be epic.

If you look back you will see that I spent most of S7 disappointed.

Cannot wait for Ep3
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #11774 on: April 15, 2019, 02:24:02 pm »
Spoiler
I have no problems with the lack of action. It would be incredibly jarring to just jump straight in, things need to be paced and we need to adjust to everyone's new surroundings. Thought it was good overall. Looked beautiful and certain parts of the dialogue were very sharp.

Do have a few complaints though.

Theon rescuing Yara seemed remarkably...easy. I know they don't have a lot of time left but there was zero tension whatsoever there. He seemed to take Euron's prisoner with so little effort.

The dragon riding scene. Again seemed a little rushed. We haven't seen anyone else ride one before, and this just came out of the blue. It felt more like a friendly little ride on a pet horse, complete with comic relief, when I thought it should have been far more grand.

Sam telling Jon the truth. Maybe I'm being too critical, but once again this seemed rushed. This is the probably the biggest bombshell in the entire series, and Sam just fumbled into the crypts and blurted it out.

As I said though, I thought it was very strong overall and I love seeing certain characters reunited. I really hope Bronn doesn't kill either Jaime or Tyrion. The ending scene was the highlight of the whole episode for me. I loved how they kept Jaime hidden until that moment, and his face upon seeing Bran was chilling.
[close]

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11775 on: April 15, 2019, 02:31:48 pm »
Am I right in thinking that Bran will have only learnt that he was pushed out of the window after he became the 3 eyed raven ?

He had no memory of it before and I can't remember him ever talking about it since.

Spoiler
And as far as Jamie knew,Theon had killed and burnt him so it came as a real shock to see him.Could be the reason why everyone seemed to turn on him in the preview.
[close]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 02:50:23 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11776 on: April 15, 2019, 02:36:26 pm »
Meh

Spoiler
Super Theon was horrible plotting and totally avoidable. Why not just finish last season with Theon and Yara escaping on a ship in the chaos of the sea battle? They would have ended up exactly where the ended this episode but without having to give Theon magic powers. Another example of the writers boxing themselves into a corner and then not even bothering to contrive a way out.

The scrip is still pretty poor. Apart from pirate captain guy having a few good lines the rest of the dialogue was ropey. They rely too much on the format of character A: set up line, character B: punchline. Half of the time I guessed the punchline before I heard it. It's like a bad Avengers film. And yes, I know that the Avengers films are bad Avengers films.

The dragon riding scene was shit. Who thought that a pervy dragon was good use of CGI money?

On the plus side; the things that we expected to happen happened. Most of the characters are where they need to be. It did the job of an opening episode, just about.
[close]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 02:38:21 pm by Devon Red »

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #11777 on: April 15, 2019, 02:37:12 pm »
Not sure how to hide the text but what your talking about was in one of the trailers showing her in battle

Thanks. I haven't watched any trailers as I want the whole thing to hit as hard as possible!

And you just put [spoiller] [/spoiller] around any text you want to hide (without the extra Ls obviously).
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #11778 on: April 15, 2019, 04:19:04 pm »
Spoiler
I have no problems with the lack of action. It would be incredibly jarring to just jump straight in, things need to be paced and we need to adjust to everyone's new surroundings. Thought it was good overall. Looked beautiful and certain parts of the dialogue were very sharp.

Do have a few complaints though.

Theon rescuing Yara seemed remarkably...easy. I know they don't have a lot of time left but there was zero tension whatsoever there. He seemed to take Euron's prisoner with so little effort.

The dragon riding scene. Again seemed a little rushed. We haven't seen anyone else ride one before, and this just came out of the blue. It felt more like a friendly little ride on a pet horse, complete with comic relief, when I thought it should have been far more grand.

Sam telling Jon the truth. Maybe I'm being too critical, but once again this seemed rushed. This is the probably the biggest bombshell in the entire series, and Sam just fumbled into the crypts and blurted it out.

As I said though, I thought it was very strong overall and I love seeing certain characters reunited. I really hope Bronn doesn't kill either Jaime or Tyrion. The ending scene was the highlight of the whole episode for me. I loved how they kept Jaime hidden until that moment, and his face upon seeing Bran was chilling.
[close]

Spoiler
I really didn't get the conversation between Sam and Jon about his parents. Sam mentions about Dany burning his father and brother and then says something like you didn't know to Jon. But how would Dany know about the Tarly's being Sam's family since they hadn't met anyway? Unless I have missed something I didn't get the annoyance from Sam there. Also when he tells Jon about Rhaegar and Lyanna being his parents why not tell him the whole story. As far as the north is concerned Lyanna was kidnapped and raped by Rhaegar, but no mention of the fact that they were in love.
[close]
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline FaitAccompli

• Kopite
« Reply #11779 on: April 15, 2019, 04:50:00 pm »
Spoiler
I really didn't get the conversation between Sam and Jon about his parents. Sam mentions about Dany burning his father and brother and then says something like you didn't know to Jon. But how would Dany know about the Tarly's being Sam's family since they hadn't met anyway? Unless I have missed something I didn't get the annoyance from Sam there. Also when he tells Jon about Rhaegar and Lyanna being his parents why not tell him the whole story. As far as the north is concerned Lyanna was kidnapped and raped by Rhaegar, but no mention of the fact that they were in love.
[close]

Spoiler
I think Sam was assuming that Jon has been with Dany for every step recently, and he doesn't know that Jon was on Dragonstone when Dany took the dragons to the fight near Highgarden. I think Sam's annoyance is that they were captured and even if they refuse to bend the knee, they should have been sent to take the black (regardless of whether they wanted to or not), so Dany burning them broke a code of conduct for war.

Perhaps Jon will speak to Bran a bit later on and get a fleshed out version of the tale of Lyanna and Rhaegar.
[close]

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11780 on: April 15, 2019, 06:22:09 pm »
Spoiler
I think Sam was assuming that Jon has been with Dany for every step recently, and he doesn't know that Jon was on Dragonstone when Dany took the dragons to the fight near Highgarden. I think Sam's annoyance is that they were captured and even if they refuse to bend the knee, they should have been sent to take the black (regardless of whether they wanted to or not), so Dany burning them broke a code of conduct for war.

Perhaps Jon will speak to Bran a bit later on and get a fleshed out version of the tale of Lyanna and Rhaegar.
[close]

Spoiler
I'm going to have to disagree about your reasoning, sorry.  :D I know a lot of people have not forgiven Dany for burning the Tarly's but I think there is a lot of hypocrisy with regards to Dany on this issue. The Tarly's were bannermen for the Lannisters, who throughout the story have tried to kill Dany. She was prepared to overlook their past and give them their life for return of accepting her as Queen. But having turned that offer down, what other choice was open to her other than to do what she did. If she had let them walk away they'd have gone straight over to the Lannisters, and everyone would have said she'd been weak. I just get the impression that Dany is judged so differently to the male characters on things like this. Had Robert Brathereon or Stannis done it no one would have batted an eye lid. But because its Dany she get's it both way. I would love to know how else she was expected to deal with the situation, which would have been for the greater good. Especially as the Tarly's had been unfaithful to House Tyrell who had been the House they originally swore allegiance too.
[close]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:26:56 pm by jillc »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11781 on: April 15, 2019, 06:28:34 pm »
Spoiler
I'm going to have to disagree about your reasoning, sorry.  :D I know a lot of people have not forgiven Dany for burning the Tarly's but I think there is a lot of hypocrisy with regards to Dany on this issue. The Tarly's were bannermen for the Lannisters, who throughout the story have tried to kill Dany. She was prepared to overlook their past and give them their life for return of accepting her as Queen. But having turned that offer down, what other choice was open to her other than to do what she did. If she had let them walk away they'd have gone straight over to the Lannisters, and everyone would have said she'd been weak. I just get the impression that Dany is judged so differently to the male characters on things like this. Had Robert Brathereon or Stannis done it no one would have batted an eye lid. But because its Dany she get's it both way. I would love to know how else she was expected to deal with the situation, which would have been for the greater good. Especially as the Tarly's had been unfaithful to House Tyrell who had been the House they originally swore allegiance too.
[close]

They also fought for the Mad King so cannot be trusted as far as you could throw em.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11782 on: April 15, 2019, 06:29:06 pm »
Is all the spoiler tagging necessary? What kind of psycho would come into this thread before seeing the episode anyway?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11783 on: April 15, 2019, 06:30:07 pm »
Is all the spoiler tagging necessary? What kind of psycho would come into this thread before seeing the episode anyway?

You’d be very fucking suprised mate.

Plus, not everyone can see an episode as soon as it comes out, some may also be saving them all up to binge watch.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11784 on: April 15, 2019, 06:32:07 pm »

Plus, not everyone can see an episode as soon as it comes out, some may also be saving them all up to binge watch.

People who do that deserve to have it spoiled.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
Completely agree.
Spoiler
[close]
And completely enjoyed the episode. Some great moments and some good comedy - Jon on the dragon's back made me realise how terrifying it would be to go bareback on a dragon.

I liked the echoing of bran in the first ever opening scene with the lad who ends up on the wall emblazoned with pseudo nazi-esque symbolism. Both went from adventurous young climber to being fixed in one place...

Cersei puts a hit on her bros. Dany and Jon are about to fracture. But we have gendry and a fuckton of dragon glass.
Even enjoyed the sex scene "that's quite enough of that! We don't do that anymore!"
Fantastic.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11786 on: April 15, 2019, 06:34:48 pm »

I get that logic with a movie, but not a tv show. And binge watching it is fine but that's on you to avoid spoilers, not everyone else to kowtow to your demands (IMO).

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born

People who do that deserve to have it spoiled.
[emoji16]

Offline FaitAccompli

• Kopite
« Reply #11788 on: April 15, 2019, 06:40:22 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Ah Jill, I made no comment as to whether it was the right call by Dany or not, I just think that's the reason why Sam was pissed off about it...beyond the obvious point that half his immediate family were killed. I also think he could have accepted his father dying, but not his brother. In any case, I'm with you and Dany on this one, they had proven themselves untrustworthy and could have caused further trouble. However, something to think about: if Robb had killed Jaimie when he was captured way back in Season 2, what rippling effect would this have had on the story? What impact might Jaimie have on the events that will unfold in the next few episodes, that otherwise might not have come to pass if Robb acted like Dany did? There probably isn't enough time left in the series for Randall to go through an arc of redemption like Jaimie, but might Dickon, who didn't appear to be as cold as Randall, have played a huge part in the great war to come?
[close]

Offline FaitAccompli

• Kopite

I liked the echoing of bran in the first ever opening scene with the lad who ends up on the wall emblazoned with pseudo nazi-esque symbolism. Both went from adventurous young climber to being fixed in one place...

Pretty sure they're different characters...

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
[emoji16]

I've not watched any Line of Duty yet but I have come up with a genius way of avoiding spoilers,I don't read the thread & it works pretty well.

We have this conversation each time a new season of GOT airs.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #11791 on: April 15, 2019, 06:55:28 pm »
Thought Euron was slightly less ‘Carry On’ this episode. Slightly.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11792 on: April 15, 2019, 07:02:01 pm »
Spoiler
Ah Jill, I made no comment as to whether it was the right call by Dany or not, I just think that's the reason why Sam was pissed off about it...beyond the obvious point that half his immediate family were killed. I also think he could have accepted his father dying, but not his brother. In any case, I'm with you and Dany on this one, they had proven themselves untrustworthy and could have caused further trouble. However, something to think about: if Robb had killed Jaimie when he was captured way back in Season 2, what rippling effect would this have had on the story? What impact might Jaimie have on the events that will unfold in the next few episodes, that otherwise might not have come to pass if Robb acted like Dany did? There probably isn't enough time left in the series for Randall to go through an arc of redemption like Jaimie, but might Dickon, who didn't appear to be as cold as Randall, have played a huge part in the great war to come?
[close]

Spoiler
Sorry, I wasn't having a go. I'm always aware that there is history to this I don't know, as I'm only on book two and have only watched to a few videos on the show. So, some things do pass me by and a lot of what you say does make sense to me. I know Sam's biggest problem was with his oaf of a father, but I wasn't sure what his true relationship with his brother was like. If I remember his father favoured his brother over him, so I wasn't too sure what Sam thought about that. It would make sense that Sam was more upset about his brother than his dad, although he was still his dad I guess. You also made a good point about Robb not killing Jaime. I am sure Jaime is going to get some kind of redemption and I'm also wondering if Bran actually already knows that Jaime's act in killing the Mad King wasn't as bad, as most people would believe.
[close]

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #11793 on: April 15, 2019, 07:05:33 pm »
Anyone else get that feeling that since they have gone "off-book" as it where, when they passed where the books had arrived, that they've rushed things?

Tension is meant to be built up, and these things need to take time to develop, whereas now, maybe as they don't have as much time to tell the stories, we go straight into a lot of it.

Maybe that's just me, who knows, but as much as I love this show - and I properly do - they could have done with a few more episodes these past 2 seasons to draw things out a bit more (although, obviously, we've only seen 1 of 6 so far in this latest season).
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11794 on: April 15, 2019, 07:13:02 pm »
Anyone else get that feeling that since they have gone "off-book" as it where, when they passed where the books had arrived, that they've rushed things?

Tension is meant to be built up, and these things need to take time to develop, whereas now, maybe as they don't have as much time to tell the stories, we go straight into a lot of it.

Maybe that's just me, who knows, but as much as I love this show - and I properly do - they could have done with a few more episodes these past 2 seasons to draw things out a bit more (although, obviously, we've only seen 1 of 6 so far in this latest season).

Spoiler
What didn't help the opening episode is the fact there was so many reunions to take care off. I would have thought they should maybe have done a couple of them in Winterfell at the end of series seven, maybe had the likes of Gendry, The Hound arriving earlier on rather than all at the same time.
[close]

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #11795 on: April 15, 2019, 07:14:28 pm »
I don't really care anymore about who ends up "winning", the show started getting pretty silly once they went off the source material. Lot of fanservice now
Spoiler
Like Dany and Jon riding the dragons and the comic relief in that scene. I mean I get they wanted to show "Targaeryan isn't he, can ride dragons can't he" but mate. Anyway plenty of good stuff in that episode, never expect too much from the first episode in a Thrones season. Liked the kid on the wall, just love seeing Berric in any capacity and Tormund is one of my favorites. Also the stuff with Samwell (i killed ur family mate/Jon you are king) can see they're sowing the seeds of discord there.

Lastly, did the ending with Jaime's incredulous stare at Bran signify anything other than "oh look there's the lad I pushed out the window years ago"? My memory's a bit hazy
[close]

Agreed it's still very enjoyable if your expectations are reasonable. I just wish the writers would be aware enough of where their current strength lies and ditch the Iron Throne plot entirely. Don't even mention the seven kingdoms again until maybe the very end.
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11796 on: April 15, 2019, 08:07:41 pm »
Spoiler
Wasn't Sam saying, 'You gave up your throne to save your people - would she?' a key line? I reckon there'll be a moment at the end when Dany will have to choose. It's Martin's pet quibble with LoTR iirc: that Aragorn did not have difficult decisions to make.
[close]

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

The kid on the wall was Lord Umber, the one who Sansa sent back to gather the rest of his army, not the kid climbing at the start.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11798 on: April 15, 2019, 08:24:37 pm »
Are all the episodes going to be shown at 2am here on Atlantic?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11799 on: April 15, 2019, 08:57:55 pm »
Are all the episodes going to be shown at 2am here on Atlantic?

Yep, happened last season as well.